Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I don't see why this would change matters for us.

The fundamental problem with stacking "depth" is that the critical part of a fight usually doesn't last that long. Typically, one of the following will have happened after the last several rounds:
  • Our opponent KOed us (see the Semifinals fight with Sun Liling, or our practice round against Bai Meizhen)
  • We KOed our opponent (see the Ji Rong fight, if we pretend he didn't have his domain weapon refresh)
  • We have debuffed our opponent to the point where they have effectively lost (see the actual Ji Rong fight, or the Chu Song fight, or the dragon fight, etc.)
  • Someone ran away (see the Shen Hu fight, or the Sun Liling ambush)
It is hard to think of a case where we've laid down all of our buffs/debuffs and still have time to more without the fight already being effectively over by then.
What are you talking about?

Fights between peers only get longer as Cultivation levels grow, that's been a noted trend since Han Jian brought it up during Zhao's test and has proven accurate ever since. Just look at the Preliminary matches in the Tournament. The one that risked suffering burnout was Ling Qi due to abusing all of those techniques and Flight, Shen Hu was able to keep up decently enough himself the entire time in order to nail his ambushes. Even the fight against Chu Song was relatively long.

The ones that weren't comparitively dragged out were Ji Rong, aka he of the One Pump Wonder, and Sun Liling, as in the living thresher with her own passive sustain abilities.

Who then proceeded to show that she could have a long, dragged out fight against Meizhen which Meizhen won by shutting down each of her advantages by being flat out better.

You're assuming a bunch of different victory conditions without considering the paths taken to get there. As the turn based combat system has fallen to the wayside, the narrative strength of plying different skills at the same time in a narrative manner come to the fore, which is what we saw in the fight between Kush Ent and The Heretical Deer-man. The problem with assumptions like these is that they're dangerous with the system in flux, in conjunction with the fact that it simultaneously assumes a set number of potential outcomes to combat...

Which is ludicrous.

I've been pitching enough Side Character ideas to Yrs in private that I can tell you flat out that you're not even scratching the potential outcomes of interaction between Ling Qi and peer cultivators of wildly differentiating powersets.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by naths on Jan 31, 2019 at 5:53 PM, finished with 8025 posts and 65 votes.

Like, the issue is that Primalshadow is ignoring the possibility represented by strong dispels and Ji Rong's Domain Weapon:

A " Functional Reset" of the battle state, where debuffs and other maluses simply cease to be relevant en masse all at once. Thereby extending the fight.

Whether that's by shedding a body, combat adaptability, sacrificing a talisman for an overpowered dispel and restorative, overwhelmingly powerful or guaranteed dispels, or just flat out high levels of resistance of some sort, there's going to be a counter to debuffs the same way that there's going to be counters to stealth.

And there's going to be people who actively apply such means to themselves when they know that they're going to be dealing with Ling Qi, or someone like her.

Last edited:
Ling Qi needs her band.

Can the Night Parade be added to our Domain or Domain Weapon and give us a different spin on it?

I still think a summon art would be good to have, but I found the arguments brought up by black noise and others about its issues compelling. Hopefully, we can do an actual summons archive dive at some point in the future, to get an actual variety to choose from instead of the odd summon art here and there.

[X] Plan CRX won't bully us with her dispels anymore
[X] Plan CRX won't bully Druggie Ling Qi with her dispels anymore
[X] Plan Music Month
[X] Skill plan: Sweetly Social Songs

Who then proceeded to show that she could have a long, dragged out fight against Meizhen which Meizhen won by shutting down each of her advantages by being flat out better.

Interesting view. Is this how other people see their fight? From what I remember, Meizhen was actually loosing bit by bit, up until the very late turn around. She seemed to be a bit worse than Sun Liling in every stage as the fight escalated and pulled a win by dodging a powerful art in a crutial moment with a surpise!burrow.

I find it sad to see players split on near-perfect arts.
We had something that was guaranteed to be above it's level and enhanced one of our few unique abilities, but it gets ignored because... reasons ?
Now we have Night Parade that enhances all our music arts which are the core of our build, and with a single Long lasting tech on top of that, but noooo~ that isn't good enough ...
It's depressing :(

Now we have Night Parade that enhances all our music arts which are the core of our build, and with a single Long lasting tech on top of that, but noooo~ that isn't good enough ...

Personally, I'm against learning anything that has 'Fear' in it. Doing spooky things and terrifying everyone around LQ is fine as long as it's not an intended effect, but directly causing it? That's Meizhen's thing, not ours.

Interesting view. Is this how other people see their fight? From what I remember, Meizhen was actually loosing bit by bit, up until the very late turn around. She seemed to be a bit worse than Sun Liling in every stage as the fight escalated and pulled a win by dodging a powerful art in a crutial moment with a surpise!burrow.

to me it looked like Liling went 'burst or bust' as in, she was burning through a lot of health and Qi to dish out enough damage to get through Meizhen defense. Meizhen's wincon was to defend until Liling cant sustain it anymore, while Liling needed to finish it before that. In the end Meizhen won this way, but it was looked in no way one-sided to me

I've been pitching enough Side Character ideas to Yrs in private that I can tell you flat out that you're not even scratching the potential outcomes of interaction between Ling Qi and peer cultivators of wildly differentiating powersets.
Questions of substance aside, I want to note that this really rubs me the wrong way. Claiming authority in an argument because you approached our QM with non-public interactions is not cool. I'm having some trouble articulating what exactly is wrong with this, but in effect you are saying "I have information that you don't, and based on that information that I'm not going to show you I know I am right, so there." It leaves no room for a response, since we don't have access to your source information - and even if you quote your sources, it forces us to rely on quotes you handpicked.

No? Meizhen countered almost all of Lilings Arts and kept things even while her rebuffing Lilings attempts to negate her defenses. She won the buff cycle, and her Domain Weapon proved superior to Lilings. Moreover, she controlled the Battlefield well enough to force Liling to burn through her own consumables and Spirit with using overly flashy attacks just to try and retake control of the fight.

In terms of actually dealing damage, the spiritual poison, the broken armor, the direct hits from Domain Weapons, and even spitting into Lilings eye, Meizhen held a slight advantage.

Cui even had the leeway to get that backstab in, with Dharitri unable to stop her.

Fundamentally, Meizhen defended against all of Lilings powerful techniques. Not just with the burrowing, but with the Terror Spirit and her defensive arts. While being able to shrug off the only real damage that Liling dealt to her save for the very end.

Thats the way defensive styles work, incidentally. Weather out your opponents offense, and then off them by holding more cards. Meizhen systematically broke through everything Liling threw at her. It was a close fight, but one she clearly held command of by virtue of forcing Liling to continuously escalate in order to break Meizhen down, and ultimately failing to do so.

Questions of substance aside, I want to note that this really rubs me the wrong way. Claiming authority in an argument because you approached our QM with non-public interactions is not cool. I'm having some trouble articulating what exactly is wrong with this, but in effect you are saying "I have information that you don't, and based on that information that I'm not going to show you I know I am right, so there." It leaves no room for a response, since we don't have access to your source information - and even if you quote your sources, it forces us to rely on quotes you handpicked.
I'm not claiming authority.

I'm pointing out that you lack imagination.

There's a substantial difference between the two. If you're going to play the victim card because I'm not displaying the character sheets for what I came up with, why don't you reread the post you truncated?

I was specific in those examples for a reason.

Your assumed "range" for the possible abilities in the setting is woefully limited, and that miscalculation more than anything else is what should rub you the wrong way, rather than some imagined slight.

Last edited:
I find it sad to see players split on near-perfect arts.
We had something that was guaranteed to be above it's level and enhanced one of our few unique abilities, but it gets ignored because... reasons ?
It's depressing :(
I like the idea of the night parade but you said it yourself it enhances our music. It does not fill any gaps in our build. I don't like SES all too much but it does what we desperately need and that is dispeal protection. I would not mind picking it up later as I think it is great for pushing our music attacks to the next level. But right now our attacks don't need to be on the next level they need to be protected and SES does that.

Thats the way defensive styles work, incidentally. Weather out your opponents offense, and then off them by holding more cards. Meizhen systematically broke through everything Liling threw at her. It was a close fight, but one she clearly held command of by virtue of forcing Liling to continuously escalate in order to break Meizhen down, and ultimately failing to do so.

I distinctly remember Meizhen getting hit and something about how she looked uncertain. Also, your description doesn't really paint her as exactly "winning" imo, it shows that they were equal, just one prefered to attack, the other prefers to counter attack (and I do think that she prefers to counter attack, instead of plain defence).

I distinctly remember Meizhen getting hit and something about how she looked uncertain. Also, your description doesn't really paint her as exactly "winning" imo, it shows that they were equal, just one prefered to attack, the other prefers to counter attack (and I do think that she prefers to counter attack, instead of plain defence).
Yes, that's how a defensive style plays out though?

That Liling couldn't take the advantage in spite of her constantly escalating is because she didn't have control over the situation. Yeah, Meizhen didn't know until the fight was said and done, but this is the kind of observation that comes with hindsight.

Yes, that's how a defensive style plays out though?

Pure defence yeah. But not the counter attack type defence. The way I see it, Sun Liling was constantly escalating, trying to overwhelm Meizhen. Meizhen was in turn escalating her defence, but couldn't find enough room for a counter attack for most of the fight. And through out the fight, Liling had a small advantage, scoring some hits and drawing blood, until the very end where the complete turn around happened.

Pure defence yeah. But not the counter attack type defence. The way I see it, Sun Liling was constantly escalating, trying to overwhelm Meizhen. Meizhen was in turn escalating her defence, but couldn't find enough room for a counter attack for most of the fight. And through out the fight, Liling had a small advantage, scoring some hits and drawing blood, until the very end where the complete turn around happened.
Hmm?

But Meizhen counterattacked several times during the fight. The cracked armor. The spit in the eye. The spiritual venom. The Domain weapon slamming into Liling. All of those happened before Meizhen launched her own offensive.

[X] Plan CRX won't bully Druggie Ling Qi with her dispels anymore
[X] Plan Music Month

[X] Plan Music Month
Adhoc vote count started by Rhydarson on Jan 31, 2019 at 9:10 PM, finished with 8046 posts and 68 votes.

Last edited:
Hmm?

But Meizhen counterattacked several times during the fight. The cracked armor. The spit in the eye. The spiritual venom. The Domain weapon slamming into Liling. All of those happened before Meizhen launched her own offensive.

And none of it did any more damage than Sun did to her, hence, equal.

Back