Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
God, she sounds high. She sounds tired and high at the same time, like she's only just barely holding onto consciousness through the power of entirely legal drugs.

Can the +1 from keywords stack? I'm wondering why Perceptiveness is the only skill/attribute that has two asterisks.
No keyword stacking. Perceptiveness gets +1 because EPC has the keyword and we train it at the Silent Stones site, which gives an additional +1 to relevant keywords.

So, it's been talked a bit in Discord, but:
beginning of the year said:
800: Bai Meizhen
805: Sun Liling
Then Meizhen challenged and won against 792.
However, she did another challenge, and:
current said:
788: Bai Meizhen
793: Sun Liling
She is keeping the 5 rank gap. Meizhen is basically flexing in front of Sun Liling, and each turn Sun Liling does not challenge her is one where she is pointed at as a coward.

She is keeping the 5 rank gap. Meizhen is basically flexing in front of Sun Liling, and each turn Sun Liling does not challenge her is one where she is pointed at as a coward.
And the longer this keeps up the greater embarrassment to Sun Liling which means more approval by the Bai for Meizhen. Also, the more incentives to give Meizhen the resources needed to keep ahead of Sun Liling. If Meizhen can keep this up, the greater her rewards and favor in her own clan.

Sun Liling's in a bad spot for this political battle. She needs to get ahead of Meizhen so late in the month that Meizhen doesn't have a chance to do another challenge. But that type of maneuvering is going to be pretty difficult.

Sun Liling's in a bad spot for this political battle. She needs to get ahead of Meizhen so late in the month that Meizhen doesn't have a chance to do another challenge. But that type of maneuvering is going to be pretty difficult.
Tbf Sun doesn't seem like the type of person to accept a technical victory unless no better alternative is available. I expect her to try and outrank Meizhen early on and then try and maintain that.

Another item of interest:

Tourney said:
840: Li Suyin
855: Kang Zihao

and less memorable medicine mixing contest that left Li Suyin with her current rank.

Month 3 said:
831: Kang Zihao
840: Li Suyin

Li Suyin kept her spot despite Kang leapfrogging her, and presumably causing a chain reaction knocking people down below him. From this I conclude that she must have won her defensive challenge, and in doing so guaranteed she kept her Rank. The other reading was that she lost an offensive challenge, but that wouldn't make sense, as she would've been kicked down in the Kang chain reaction and lost at least 1 rank to become #841.

[X] Drugged-Fueled Musical Battle Royale

I don't care about skills.

I still really dislike when summons get dismissed for not being unicorns or dragons.

AE deserved better. So did Ashen Shadow.
And people didn't want the Cai Route Scrabbling in the dirt married to TaiBro doesn't look so bad now huh Ling Qi?
excuse you it was scrabbling in radioactive dirt for ruins while being attacked by zombies married to Ling Qi's teenage romance and one true love TaiBro thank you

From this I conclude that she must have won her defensive challenge, and in doing so guaranteed she kept her Rank. The other reading was that she lost an offensive challenge, but that wouldn't make sense, as she would've been kicked down in the Kang chain reaction and lost at least 1 rank to become #841.
Yep. I can only think of three explanations for someone keeping their rank. In order of diminishing likelihood:
  • They won a defensive challenge
  • Yrsillar made an error and didn't demote demote them as required
  • Someone higher then them left the rankings, thereby letting everyone move up.

I don't care about skills.

I still really dislike when summons get dismissed for not being unicorns or dragons.

AE deserved better. So did Ashen Shadow.
Back in the day, I was a pretty serious opponent of AE. I didn't care about the optics, but the elements of the art made it terrible for us mechanically, and I wanted nothing to do with it for that reason. Evanescent Anthem of the Nights Parade is head and shoulders above AE, and I was actually really excited when I read the description. The art sounds thematic and fun, and a Music/Darkness art is basically perfect as far as elements are concerned IMO.

...but.

Much as it would be cool, I'm having a hard time seeing how the art would fit into our build. Even if they aren't modeled as strictly in the new system, actions are still a thing; we can only do some much with our time. Would we even want to use a EANP tech instead of laying down FVM? Would it replace one of SCS's techs perhaps, or TRF's defenses? Or is the only point of the tech to give us more "depth", letting us cast more effects without running out of relevant arts?

Back in the day, I was a pretty serious opponent of AE. I didn't care about the optics, but the elements of the art made it terrible for us mechanically, and I wanted nothing to do with it for that reason. Evanescent Anthem of the Nights Parade is head and shoulders above AE, and I was actually really excited when I read the description. The art sounds thematic and fun, and a Music/Darkness art is basically perfect as far as elements are concerned IMO.

...but.

Much as it would be cool, I'm having a hard time seeing how the art would fit into our build. Even if they aren't modeled as strictly in the new system, actions are still a thing; we can only do some much with our time. Would we even want to use a EANP tech instead of laying down FVM? Would it replace one of SCS's techs perhaps, or TRF's defenses? Or is the only point of the tech to give us more "depth", letting us cast more effects without running out of relevant arts?
I've been thinking that now that we have Traveller's End, As long as we have 'prep' it's easier to use multiple songs at once. If we don't have prep, I don't see how EANP could be of any real use given it has to compete with FVM/PLR in its own role.

With prep though, we can have FVM up as a rolling cloud of death with us at its center, and then build our 'army'. If we had to, say, attack an enemy fortress of something, Doing FVM => EANP could work quite well, with PLR being used once in actual combat.

Still, even then it's kind of really niche and I don't see us actually having an opportunity to use it.

Or is the only point of the tech to give us more "depth", letting us cast more effects without running out of relevant arts?
Well why not?

Eventually we're going to need to be able to match against folks who are perception focused and able to corner Ling Qi within her Mist. Cai and Sun Liling do it via dispels, but an opponent flat out making the checks necessary is also an inevitability.

EANP is good against people with good multi dispel but not good multi damage as constructs can not be dispelled. Oddly, they may work better versus Cai then our other abilities.

Well why not?

Eventually we're going to need to be able to match against folks who are perception focused and able to corner Ling Qi within her Mist. Cai and Sun Liling do it via dispels, but an opponent flat out making the checks necessary is also an inevitability.
Mmmh, that's actually an interesting point for EANP sideboard.

Both FVM and PLR plays a lot on perception. Now, EANP is pure darkness, so it might also do that, but so far it doesn't seem to have any techs that inflect perception tests. The advantage of FVM and PLR playing a lot on perception means that they can be easily enhanced by things like MNO or ENM, to the point that we could learn to reliably have the perception CC working on opponents.

However, having a sideboard for when we are challenged by opponents who have a stupid high perception can be, in some cases, useful. That or stupid high dispels. Very niche still, but I can see it. EANP also works well as a sideboard, considering it has the similar meridians as FVM (3lung 2heart vs 3heart 2 Lung).

Well why not?

Also why MNO is so good because it penalises perception checks against us making FVM and PLR more effective.

Also on EANP, it's an orchestra (singing birds, drummings doggos). That sound lile the kind of arts were we might find our own action economy bullshit (like the blood arms of Sun or the counters of the Bai), by having the orchestra use our music arts. After all if an orchestra summon is not something that let us use multiple musical arts per turn, what is ?

Mmmh, that's actually an interesting point for EANP sideboard.

Both FVM and PLR plays a lot on perception. Now, EANP is pure darkness, so it might also do that, but so far it doesn't seem to have any techs that inflect perception tests. The advantage of FVM and PLR playing a lot on perception means that they can be easily enhanced by things like MNO or ENM, to the point that we could learn to reliably have the perception CC working on opponents.

However, having a sideboard for when we are challenged by opponents who have a stupid high perception can be, in some cases, useful. That or stupid high dispels. Very niche still, but I can see it. EANP also works well as a sideboard, considering it has the similar meridians as FVM (3lung 2heart vs 3heart 2 Lung).
if they both get fully scrunched they have the same meridians : )

Seems like what we really need is something (talisman, art, spirit) that lets us have a free/additional music action every combat round or something.

Man, if only we had a formation that was able to use our arts. This could have completely revolutioned how we fought.

No more than one horror may be commanded at a time, on creation, the horror may be assigned one arm based and one spine or leg based technique from the users roster, Techniques must be C rank or below.

Sadly it was not to be. F little birdie taken too soon from us. :cry:

Well why not?

I don't see why this would change matters for us.

The fundamental problem with stacking "depth" is that the critical part of a fight usually doesn't last that long. Typically, one of the following will have happened after the last several rounds:
  • Our opponent KOed us (see the Semifinals fight with Sun Liling, or our practice round against Bai Meizhen)
  • We KOed our opponent (see the Ji Rong fight, if we pretend he didn't have his domain weapon refresh)
  • We have debuffed our opponent to the point where they have effectively lost (see the actual Ji Rong fight, or the Chu Song fight, or the dragon fight, etc.)
  • Someone ran away (see the Shen Hu fight, or the Sun Liling ambush)
It is hard to think of a case where we've laid down all of our buffs/debuffs and still have time to more without the fight already being effectively over by then.

Last edited:
Back