Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
@yrsillar, what is the normal amount of CP for a challenge at our level? 5? 10? more?

[X] 30 Green Stones, 300 Yellow
There really is no reason for us to have so many YSS. Even were we to assume we get not more YSS (and that's not the case), we aren't going to use more than 300 for the rest of the year, and by then things should have changed.

Our base cultivation was amusingly good rolls, CDE and SCS were really bad rolls, attribute and skill exp were incredibly bad.

@yrsillar I guess we did train SCS at Zeqing's place so no +2 to Dance :cry:. OTOH, Shouldn't SCS be locked by physical (bronze 2 needed), and as such we can't get successes there?

Hmm, putting it off makes it seem increasingly unlikely LQ'll talk to CRX about her experience. Sad. Interesting to hear that she considers prostitution to be a necessity, though.

Also liked hearing Zeqing's sermon on the end and general reference to the purity of spirits and cultivators' attempts to reach such heights.

...Yet, in between the lines of her new art, she read a whisper of history. Of a man who loved knowledge, and exulted in its spread. A man who could parse a hundred thousand futures, and choose the one he wished. A whisper of Tsu the Diviner, first king of the Emerald Sea. It was a faded thing, an echo bouncing back for the thousandth time, but it still made her wonder. How had that man's descendents become what they did?
An interesting point. How did those who could read the past and predict the future come about to their untimely demise? What future did they see, and what path did they predict, that disappearing was better than the alternative?

An interesting point. How did those who could read the past and predict the future come about to their untimely demise? What future did they see, and what path did they predict, that disappearing was better than the alternative?

Actually, this is a question I very much want Ling Qi to ask, and try to research, in character.

Now she is realizing that to be truly free not only does she need strength, but knowledge to actually set her goals. To look into someone like Tsu should be pretty beneficial for her growth.

Man though, Joyous Toast + Forgotten Vale Finale + Echoes of Absolute Winter is a disgusting Wombo Combo. Ling Qi--given time to prepare and set everything up, can just delete an entire battlespace in one go.

Some of the next levels of our arts are amazing.

First use both:

Echoes of Absolute Winter: B
Duration: Special
A technique used in tandem with Aria of Springs End, if activated at the same time, the Aria carries an echo of true winter, stilling the very air around the singer with its freezing chill. Attacks targeting the user, or which have an area of effect overlapping with Aria's have their penetration reduced by one rank as the cold devours the energy of the technique or attack. Similarly, Cold or Dark techniques used by the singer against those in range of Aria have their Hit or Penetration enhanced by one rank, as chosen by the user.

Joyous Toast: C
Duration: Immediate
Usable only while Illustrious Phantasmal Festival is active. The guests of the festival raise their voices and cups and stamp their feet in joy, roaring encouragement for the user and their allies and jeering at their foes. The next music, dance or art based technique used by those affected is treated as if it is one rank higher for determining effects.

Then activate:

Sable Crescent Step: B rank
A master of this art may bring its lessons together in a single movement, an impeccable step of matchless grace. The cunning master may find several uses for this movement. A single attack of equal or lower may be avoided, no matter how unerring the aim, as the user simply ceases to exist in the material world for a moment, rematerializing with Far range of their current position. If more offensively inclined, the user may instead make a single physical attack utterly bypassing up to C rank physical armor and damage reduction, and rematerialize within Close range of their target. Targets with higher damage or armor reduction instead have it reduced by two ranks for the purposes of determining damage.

At the exact same time as doing:

Travelers End: B
Duration: Scene
Damage: B
The user may choose to end the melody at any time after Travelers End has been used. If they do so, the song reaches its finale, and all other techniques of the Forgotten Vale are ended as well. All who were still lost within the mist suffer an immediate spiritual attack of great magnitude, an echo of the travelers death in that far away vale. Those damaged by this attack may be paralyzed utterly by the assault, if their composure is too weak.

That is one moment of ouch.

Gotta be super intimidating too, imagine just Ling Qi's stuff being a rave then suddenly going silent, and she's just standing where your suddenly nearly dead friend is.

I'm sure this isn't optimal but wow.

There's also this:

Floodswell: C
Usable only with Pressure crack active, the user channels the swirling qi of battle generated by their subordinates into their own body, until the rage of the current beats within their own hearts. When they next strike, the force of their blow explodes outward, like a river breaking through a levee. The users next melee attack hits as a one directional area of effect striking at Very Close Range. This attack retains the bonuses granted by Pressure Crack.

Now ew water art and all that but if it stacks on Stable Crescent Step suddenly it's 'I'm just going to negate this area' as SCS penetration effect is not on a target but attack.

[X] 30 Green Stones, 300 Yellow

[X] 4 CP

3 CP challenges are considered low, and I want punk rock girl to think this a tentative testing of the waters. I added in one more CP to make it a little more painful on her part to refuse while still not either giving the game away on our extra CP or making us look like we're assuming we'll win.

Last edited:
Joyous Toast: C
Duration: Immediate
Usable only while Illustrious Phantasmal Festival is active. The guests of the festival raise their voices and cups and stamp their feet in joy, roaring encouragement for the user and their allies and jeering at their foes. The next music, dance or art based technique used by those affected is treated as if it is one rank higher for determining effects.
Now if only any of our friends had music, dance, or art based techniques....

Hey Meizhen! Want to learn how to dance?

Maximum available, I think?
That's not a good idea. Because if the other girl accepts and wins, Ling Qi becomes a target for the sect dregs, because even tiny collateral challenges would be enough to force her to the field, and I would not put it beyond Sun Liling to otherwise compensate such students for wasting Ling Qi's time, further it means that Ling Qi can't make another challenge until someone challenges her, which provides another avenue for the people that oppose her to just fuck her over.

Further doing so plays out Ling Qi's hand, the fact that she has 20 Contribution points when most others entering the inner sect have 10 means that going forward it becomes in everyone's best interest to force Ling Qi to keep throwing everything or nearly everything or risk "offending" the people being challenged as a way to shut down her growth. Best to be more conservative and play to the expectations of the existing inner sect disciples and let them underestimate her.

5-7 would be a good range.

That's not a good idea. Because if the other girl accepts and wins, Ling Qi becomes a target for the sect dregs, because even tiny collateral challenges would be enough to force her to the field, and I would not put it beyond Sun Liling to otherwise compensate such students for wasting Ling Qi's time, further it means that Ling Qi can't make another challenge until someone challenges her, which provides another avenue for the people that oppose her to just fuck her over.
We get the collateral back if we win, so we would still have 20 CP.

8. Should the disciple of Inferior rank win, their collateral is refunded, and they receive the superior rank at the beginning of the next ranking period. The loser of the challenge will be dropped to the next rank, reducing the rank of all disciples beneath until equilibrium is reached.

"And if they are attempting to deceive others on their ability?" Cai Renxiang asked, opening the first scroll.

Ling Qi pursed her lips. "...I do not think anyone would do so for such a low rank. If they are common born, the loss of resources would not be worth it, and if not then the rank would likely shame their families if kept for too long."

Since I haven't really been following the thread, can someone explain to me the benefit of hiding your strength with this ranking system?

Is it that you get challenges from weaker opponents? But losing a challenge really isn't that big a deal.

Does it make higher ranked disciples more likely to accept your challenge and not take you seriously?

And if everybody's hiding their strength, would that ironically make the official ranking reflective of true rankings?

Since I haven't really been following the thread, can someone explain to me the benefit of hiding your strength with this ranking system?
It means you don't get researched by what you consider your peers. We had an option to research potential challengers to us, and it didn't include peeps way down 50-100 spots below us. That would theoretically let someone being tricksy jump as high as they can challenge multiple months in a row without having as tough fights as they should, while not having to spend as much time researching their own challengers.

Back