Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[X] Speak of Zeqing as a musician, and the way that your style and compositions changed from interacting with her. [More impersonal, easier to talk about. May offer some insights into music skills from introspection]

hi first time posting here what do you think the future weapon / musical instrument could be since the flute will probably be too weak for ling qi to use in the future

hi first time posting here what do you think the future weapon / musical instrument could be since the flute will probably be too weak for ling qi to use in the future
A better flute - different types of instrument don't have different stats, only the quality of the instrument and the user's level of skill matter. Ling Qi also has a fair amount of effort invested in flutes/woodwind instruments, so swapping to something like a keyboard/piano would set her back a fair bit, even if it was blended with some kind of scythe.

I'm going to repeat my suggestion from a while back to fit a giant alphorn on Zhengui's shell for use as a siege weapon.

But there's no real reason to believe we'll want or need to stop using something flutish as our main weapon for personal combat.

When we turn white and our clan is filled to the brim with musicians known across the land, for one night we perform for the bloody moon on Zengui's back and she will shed a single tear.
Muttering the word Magnificent.

Last edited:
A better flute - different types of instrument don't have different stats, only the quality of the instrument and the user's level of skill matter. Ling Qi also has a fair amount of effort invested in flutes/woodwind instruments, so swapping to something like a keyboard/piano would set her back a fair bit, even if it was blended with some kind of scythe.
First we upgrade to the battle tuba and then the next thing you know it's a few decades later and we're carting around an entire building to the battlefield by playing the carillon.

BETTER idea

Suyin can help us whip it up.

Nothing wrong with gloomy and introverted.
I hope Ling Qi can learn to deal with her traumas, gets along with her family and friends, and even make more friends and family.
But i will push back against an idea that this means she needs to become more outgoing and sociable.

Sure she needs to become better at faking being outgoing and sociable due to her chosen career, but that's a different thing.
Faking is complicated for Ling Qi because of the sincerity stuff.

I've long suggested taking inspiration from the Hidden Moon to fix our social ails. Being cold and distant makes you look like a jerk, and interacts poorly with Ling Qi's natural inclinations. But being mysterious makes you look cool and awesome. Similarly, curiosity is a good way to stay engaged with other people... and to act as a counterbalance to fear or anxiety. It's a motivation, which is something she lacks in more casual social engagement.

Last edited:
Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Killer_Whale on Feb 15, 2020 at 7:29 PM, finished with 237 posts and 106 votes.

[x] Speak of Zeqing as a musician, and the way that your style and compositions changed from interacting with her. [More impersonal, easier to talk about. May offer some insights into music skills from introspection]

"I enjoy music, but I have something of a tin ear, so I never followed that path myself."
Haha, I just realized that within the historical context of the setting the term "tin ear" is probably a reference to the relative unmusicality of the Bai. Thousand lakes was the first province to make bronze, utilizing tin deposits. Tin is also mythically entwined with the local serpents, who consumed it to strengthen their scales. Since the Bai aren't very musical compared to other folks in the empire, "tin ear" has some pretty obvious connotations.

I can't believe Bao Qian would carelessly use such ethnically charged language. :V

If we really want to look at changing from the flute, there is only one true path. What we really need to do is embrace the inevitable, pick up Water as a main element, and adopt the hydraulophone as our instrument of choice.

I'm also taken by the idea of just being like "Musical Instruments? Haha, how gauche!" Late game Ling Qi just out here with like 400 Reds strapped to her domain and unleashing the Cultivation Choir.

[X] Speak of Zeqing as a musician, and the way that your style and compositions changed from interacting with her. [More impersonal, easier to talk about. May offer some insights into music skills from introspection]

[x] Speak of Zeqing as a person, and the insights you gained from interacting with her. [More personal, may be difficult to articulate. More open, may prompt more personal responses in turn and unpack issues regarding Hanyi.]

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by EternalObserver on Feb 16, 2020 at 12:22 PM, finished with 250 posts and 110 votes.

what are the elements that su ling cultivates today? she had a lake, maybe fire and a mountain all of this in the domain makes me imagine a waterfall the fire helps the mountain flow into the lake like this, destaginating the lake with a red moon on top of the mountain

Sorry for the bad english i use Google translator

Su Ling was innately Fire/Lake affinity. She likes Fire but she doesn't like Lake, and is rebelling by trying to cultivate the exact opposite element of Mountain. She's having a reasonable level of success so far (In so far as she's making progress period at least, and that triple-crit Breakthrough roll probably contributes to that)

Back