Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[X] She promised, even if it was hard. (Ling Qi will avoid tactics which leave out or separate her from her spirits and deliberate self sacrifice outside of actual necessity. Affects Zhengui's development.)

[X] She promised, even if it was hard. (Ling Qi will avoid tactics which leave out or separate her from her spirits and deliberate self sacrifice outside of actual necessity. Affects Zhengui's development.)

If Zhengui needs help to move around, we'll carry him with us in our dantain and drop him on enemies as one would a bomb :V

I think promising is a good choice.

Remember the decisions we made, way back in Yellow? "Grow strong enough to carry as much weight as you wish"

What I'm trying to say is "Let's learn how to yeet our beloved turtlesnek sonbrother along with us to battle, then there is no conflict at all because he's moving as fast as we are with the four-pillars divine rotation technique"

Also, it's a fun limitation that can spur growth to overcome it. The good kind of narrative limitation.

He's being assertive and asking us something from the bottom of his heart, how can we not answer that sincerity?

Roots are heavy, but that's why we chose to become strong enough to carry the weight without giving them up.

Last edited:

It just means we can only do things like split up the team or do reckless self-sacrifice moves if absolutely necessary. Its going to impact LQs relationship with ZG dramatically as well as ZG's development but it's not going to dramatically limit our choices in the future.

Only splitting the team if absolutely necessary all on it's own constitutes dramatically limiting our choices.

Keep in mind Zhengui instantly agreed with the necessity of the split up we did this past event.

I'm voting for this for the sake of future development. Not Zhengui's. Ling Qi's entire combat paradigm is incoherent if she can't consistently operate within the same theatre as allies. Currently, she's demonstrated an inability to reliably cooperate with others in narrative tactics or mechanics. It's a fatal flaw in her development that requires addressing, or her Path will find itself cut short. This isn't the only way to fix things, but it's the opportunity we have, and at a cost I find negligible.

Like, I'd pick the second one if yrs guaranteed that was the path to meteor zhengui. As is, I assume the first one is the path for repeating meteor zhengui via "zhengui sticks to Ling Qi at all times even if she's high in the air"

Only because it is Zhengui asking, and if that is what he wishes for how could we deny him? If it was anyone else I wouldn't promise but if he wants to stay close to us then I am okay with any of the costs associated. I am fully ok with mom LQ, since pretty much everyone who has helped LQ has been a Mother figure.

[X] She could not make that promise, not knowing what the future could hold. (Ling Qi remains open to all tactics. Affects Zhengui's development.)

I honestly feel that the superior narrative choice is to make the promise, but honestly don't agree with it. It just reeks of the shonen friendship is power trope. Honestly Ling Qi and Zhengui are more effective when they work apart as they specialized in very different things. Zhengui can be the sturdy home she returns to but limiting herself to it seems like a poor strategic choice.

[X] She could not make that promise, not knowing what the future could hold. (Ling Qi remains open to all tactics. Affects Zhengui's development.)

I feel like Zhengui's request would wreck the awesomeness of Ling Qi as a combatant. You never know where she is and everywhere is her battleground.

I mean, the circumstances we got that insight under was Zeqing wanting to hold tight onto Hanyi and not let her go, so I'm not sure you can make such a decisive reading here.
Yeah I'd interpret the circumstances as Zeqing struggling to make the choice best for Hanyi vs. giving into temptation and keeping her as a daughter forever. If LQ refused this promise, she'd be keeping herself unfettered for the sake of freedom, for having options in the future. If she makes the promise, she'll be making the best choice for ZG--for his emotional wellbeing at least. He's basically a child and whether she admits it to herself or not, she's basically his mom. He just saw her come pretty close to death. That is traumatic for a kid. While he does need to grow up, using the tough love approach at such a crucial turning point would be...too harsh. Not the type of person I want LQ to be.
This promise may be weighing her down with roots a bit but she's supposed to grow strong enough to carry them. Working around the limitations can lead to creative solutions and growing strong in diff ways.
And lastly, I think if ZG is seeing it limit us, he will strive to catch up to us while also giving us some leeway on the promise under certain circumstances...like from 'actual necessity' to just 'necessity'. As he gets older and sees what our duty really requires of us, I think he might see why we made the choice we did and why we don't regret it now. If Precious is the one giving us leeway on the promise then i think its ok since its his feelings that matter.

Last edited:
Ling Qi nodded and turned to leave, knowing that there was nothing else to be said. Still, as she left, she caught in the the silver eye gleaming in the lining of her gown, the sight of the other girl resting her face in her hands.
Ling Qi is quite the corrupting influence on her friends.

I really want the write in compromise which promises no sacrifice plays and more attempts to work together, but doesn't shackle us to Zhengui's speed. But as it is, the promise is a step too far.

I honestly feel that the superior narrative choice is to make the promise, but honestly don't agree with it. It just reeks of the shonen friendship is power trope.

Tropes are not bad in themselves. The shonen friendship stuff has been abused and driven to the ground by hacks who do not know how to write and by people who do know how to write but are not confident enough to go off the beaten path and yet do not understand why the friendship tropes became so popular in the first place. Tale as old as time, something becomes popular, other fiction writers copy its surface elements, perfectly good tropes get blamed.

However, when the shonen friendship tropes land, they can be really good things. Some of the best examples where friendship is an asset are One Piece (everything friendship shomen is copying it in the first place), Berserk (yes, really, if you look beyond the grimdark, the story of Guts is very much about the power of friendship, old and new...
its about a man who grew up alone, had to learn to make friends, was betrayed by one of them, then had to learn to get past that trauma to make new ones and to realize they are more important than his revenge.
, Hunter x hunter, Mob Psycho 100 and the promised Neverland.

(There are also examples of good manga where shonen friendship tropes are there but understated, like Kingdom or Demon Slayer and also some that are overall good but where the friendship tropes are a flaw, and the unique example of One Punch Man which has some heavy friendship tropes but not in the shonen sense. But I didn't mention stuff like these because I wanted to show friendship as an asset).

Imho yrsillar is talented enough to make anything work, and he is making stuff work right now.

Last edited:
Tropes are not bad in themselves. The shonen friendship stuff has been abused and driven to the ground by hacks who do not know how to write and by people who do know how to write but are not confident enough to go off the beaten path and yet do not understand why the friendship tropes became so popular in the first place. Talent as old as time, something becomes popular, other fiction writers copy its surface elements, perfectly good tropes get blamed.
I totally agree with you. When done well it is a really satisfying trope. However it depends on the tone, style, and pacing of the story. The reason why this story is so great is because it deconstructs the shounen tropes we see in anime. Here actions have legitimate consequences - personally and politically. Yes shounen tropes work well in shounen anime because that's literally what the medium is designed to do. You can be brash and make ridiculous promises because the narrative rewards it. Here we have Zhengui being a child asking their mom to be with them forever. In real life the parent just reassures them with empty promises and move on. The real world is not nice enough for Ling Qi to basically cripple her decision making in combat and still let her win. It's naive for Zhengui to even ask for Ling to do this but they get a pass because they're a child. Ling Qi needs to be the adult here and have a tough but loving conversation about what it means to have responsibility. It means making hard decisions and putting your life on the line, especially during times of conflict.

you know what's interesting, people have not considered that the "long and lonely path" we traveled has, well. For the most part we have regrown connections and "made it" to the beautiful parts of the world. We already know who we are at our most harried and destitute, I have no doubt that even our underutilized street smarts are bounds better than other greens partially because we know the raw-mortal basics.

This is the part where we form our Beautiful Woods. The music and growth that makes up the spring and summer. We will of course keep sharpening our winter blades and End songs, but we need to better integrate our warmth into the build or risk the cold freedom of being alone. (that's just flowery talk, I don't think we'll end up alone if we reject precious treasured brother here. But you know, I can't resist purple prose)

I would like to push on the group promise. We promised Zeqing, we scare and upset all our spirits and are in turn upset by Lanlan and CRX selfsacrificing. The good news of course, is that we already have the tools to group speed boost. Did we already forget that Laughing Art of the Wind Thief derivative was the group buff that boosted us all across the country?

We even have a good line of research for an Emerald Seas brand of group spirit buff stuff, the Bardbarian who chants with others to boost power. We are a thief, we should take his tactic and use it better against him! Zhengui is the only spirit of ours that doesn't use Music and I hereby petition that he should learn some tunes! Making a Band Is A Go! Group Power Rock is Go! Spirit Summon Build is Go!

I've been saying it since Forge, the only stat we really outclass the monsters in consistently is Qi. Qi is best utilized for spirit upkeep, and it seems like we're getting more and more of those abilities as we get older. Our talent is something not every heir can keep up with, and it makes us more interesting for both positive and negative spirit interactions. The way that we can fight and really hold our own against the monsters is by relying on this advantage of ours, allowing Zhengui to do things like completely body Dhartiri *when he was yellow against her green* haha. Let us finally indulge in our true specialization and advantage, the strength of Qi to hold more roots than any other flier!

between the four of us, we can voltron ourselves one Monster of a concert. I can feel it, haha <3

Back