Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Additionally, I wonder what we are going to be teaching Xiao Fen during the tutoring sessions?
Time-sheets and optimal use of drugs 101. How to fit extra cultivation into any other downtime. How social actions can be turned into extra training.
Also: the myriad uses of aloofness when not in your comfortable environment.

I'm a bit sad to see Music and Moon take a slot when we already have a borderline perfect teacher for one and a treasure map directly from our Moon patron.
Adhoc vote count started by Ayashi on Dec 4, 2018 at 5:15 AM, finished with 2804 posts and 135 votes.

Last edited:
Additionally, I wonder what we are going to be teaching Xiao Fen during the tutoring sessions? Music is our strongest skill to teach, but I have strong doubts that Xiao Fen has any desire to pursue the musical disciplines. Which leaves tutoring on the nature of the darkness element, dodge, and possibly stealth up for grabs. My personal bet is instruction on the darkness element and dodging/defenses.

Ling Qi: Snake Charmer.

Ling Qi's pretty adept at Darkness and defense yes, though she's a pretty good tutor for Yin arts in general as well. We want to keep in mind that the tutor requests are open market, if she wants to get Ling Qi instead of whoever randomly saw the notice, she needs a weird combination.

More seriously, we know the following factors on her:
-She's a Low Yellow First Year, sort of like Meizhen was when she first entered the Sect. Her cultivation has a lot of room for growth and modification yet, Meizhen added an element to her trifecta in less time than that.

-She wants to get Ling Qi as a tutor. Specifically her. Meizhen should have given her a list of what sort of weird shit Ling Qi can be used to tutor for.

-She has two elements known, Darkness and Yin Fire. However, the Bai Recommendation is Three Elements. She may be looking to pick up a third. If so, our other possibilities:
--Ling Qi is a qualified Argent Art tutor if you want to get them without taking Trials, though this is unlikely because I think the Sect might consider gifting arts to be too much meddling. As a meeting excuse it's crap, the Inner Sect is going to have a fair number of Argent Tutors as a matter of course.
--Moon is possible, but we hadn't really seen that kind of temperament to make it work from her? And the Bais have their own cultivation arts so EPC isn't a big sell to them. Still, theres like two Moon cultivators in the Inner Sect that we know of, so scoring Ling Qi is easy.
--Water is difficult on several axis, Fire cultivators tend to have some difficulty with the Water attitudes, though its not impossible. Water is a common as hell element, so unless paired with a rare element it's going to get scooped off the board before Ling Qi sees it. Finally, as someone from the Bai, if she had any talent with Water she'd already have it. Also as a minor aside, Darkness, Water, Yin Fire is Yandere * Yandere * Yandere so :p
--Wind...serious, devoted personality from what we've seen. Probably not a fit. Also common element, so finding a match is too easy.
--Music/Dance, theres a couple of Music cultivators around, but as its exotic, narrowing it down to Ling Qi is as easy as slapping Darkness on.
--Wood, TRF and Zhengui qualifies us, and Wood's qualities are compatible enough with Darkness and Yin Fire maybe. Somewhat less common of an element, but not really exotic.
--Cold, her Yin Fire makes this an alternate approach to frost maybe? Its exotic enough that few would have it.

Hmm...actually if you want to be funny you can just request ANY weirdass element pairing and Ling Qi can probably teach a few things lol.

Seems like the best way to get Ling Qi is to ask for a Darkness Music tutor, or to pair Moon with basically anything else because Moon is rare as fuck.

Actually, I think it'd be fine if she just asked for a darkness tutor. When we tried getting darkness tutoring we had to settle for a tutor who had it as a tertiary element because darkness isn't very popular for people up for tutoring, didn't we?

Actually, I think it'd be fine if she just asked for a darkness tutor. When we tried getting darkness tutoring we had to settle for a tutor who had it as a tertiary element because darkness isn't very popular for people up for tutoring, didn't we?

Darkness tends to be very private people.
....but Renshu could potentially steal the job

Last edited:
It wasn't hard to find, being one of only two rooms on the third floor. The formations work that wound around the stairwell, absorbing spiritual energy from above was rather professionally done. She couldn't so much as sense a hint of her friends aura until she reached the third floor.
So is it just me, or is this the cultivator's version of a no-tell motel? Each member of a discreet couple rents a different room on the same floor, and then they have plausible deniability for anything that happens between them. Nobody else has reason to be on their floor and nobody can detect anything happening on said floor

So is it just me, or is this the cultivator's version of a no-tell motel? Each member of a discreet couple rents a different room on the same floor, and then they have plausible deniability for anything that happens between them. Nobody else has reason to be on their floor and nobody can detect anything happening on said floor

Well...probably works better for political meets than private ones. Its kind of easy to spot a pattern of disappearances.

Darkness tends to be very private people.
....but Renshu could potentially steal the job

That really depends on what restrictions there are on Inner Sect Disciples taking tutoring jobs, though. For that matter, it's far from impossible that the Sect allows an Outer Sect Disciple to specify a specific Inner Sect Disciple and we just didn't know any well enough for that to be likely to work. Remember that we aren't trying to conceal that LQ is tutoring her, we're trying to conceal that this is part of the information and control flow for Cai's assets in the Outer Sect. There's a mundane explanation for why LQ would tutor Bai's cousin (repayment for Bai protecting us last year) which would mean most people wouldn't dig further.

Also, remember that Yan Renshu was, IIRC, the one who presumably got into a certain amount of trouble for trying to fake contracts that would- if they were genuine- have virtually enslaved other disciples. Since there were a couple of genuine contracts in amongst the fakes, he's probably being watched like a hawk by the Elders in case he's arrogant enough to try it agianst someone it's actually illegal to do it to.

That, and I suspect that if an Inner Sect Disciple doesn't actually tutor the Outer Sect Disciple, then the Outer Sect Disciple can complain of interference, since it at least looks lie an Inner Sect Disciple trying to harm the ability of an Outer Sect Disciple to benefit from the Sect. (the issue being that the Outer Sect Disciple has no way of countering the sabotage. Sabotaged missions can be countered by similar methods to how LQ did. Sabotaged tutoring can't be.

That really depends on what restrictions there are on Inner Sect Disciples taking tutoring jobs, though. For that matter, it's far from impossible that the Sect allows an Outer Sect Disciple to specify a specific Inner Sect Disciple and we just didn't know any well enough for that to be likely to work. Remember that we aren't trying to conceal that LQ is tutoring her, we're trying to conceal that this is part of the information and control flow for Cai's assets in the Outer Sect. There's a mundane explanation for why LQ would tutor Bai's cousin (repayment for Bai protecting us last year) which would mean most people wouldn't dig further.

Also, remember that Yan Renshu was, IIRC, the one who presumably got into a certain amount of trouble for trying to fake contracts that would- if they were genuine- have virtually enslaved other disciples. Since there were a couple of genuine contracts in amongst the fakes, he's probably being watched like a hawk by the Elders in case he's arrogant enough to try it agianst someone it's actually illegal to do it to.

That, and I suspect that if an Inner Sect Disciple doesn't actually tutor the Outer Sect Disciple, then the Outer Sect Disciple can complain of interference, since it at least looks lie an Inner Sect Disciple trying to harm the ability of an Outer Sect Disciple to benefit from the Sect. (the issue being that the Outer Sect Disciple has no way of countering the sabotage. Sabotaged missions can be countered by similar methods to how LQ did. Sabotaged tutoring can't be.

Which you know, Renshu taking a Darkness job and doing it properly is all it takes to disrupt. Its literally posted on a bulletin board after all.

But from what I recall of our own tutoring, you can specify two qualities, which can be used to narrow down the qualifying disciples a lot

Back