This Bites! (One Piece SI)

Wow, last chapter got dark.

Only Issue I have is that you said at the beginning that it was only partially canon, which took away from the tension some. Since, I knew everybody was going to live. I mean, I would assume the core of the crew would survive already, but if you hadn't done that, I might have believed that the Dugongs were well and truly gone.

Well, next is Water 7. Hopefully Merry gets fixed up. If not, Franky goes full Spark and builds her a humanoid body.

I probably missed something as I read this on my phone. How did the crew recover from being half-digested/fused together?

I probably missed something as I read this on my phone. How did the crew recover from being half-digested/fused together?

*Shrugs.* They just did, like they just did in the movie. Probably a combination of the plant dissolving away after it died and the miracle recovery rate of One Piece. Ego, do you concur?

I'm confused why people keep saying the Dugongs are gone...... In the ending scene Boss rouses the others up and is "enforcing" dicipline for sleeping in.

I think I mostly disagree with the Moria one given his work with zombies. Even then, I can see an element of disgust showing up later on. But the actual corpse puppeting might have him more interested than distressed.

Blackbeard is kind of weird about Nakama, so his current reaction could fit.

I think I mostly disagree with the Moria one given his work with zombies. Even then, I can see an element of disgust showing up later on. But the actual corpse puppeting might have him more interested than distressed.

Blackbeard is kind of weird about Nakama, so his current reaction could fit.

Its not the corpse puppeting that is disgusting him. Its the fact that nature somehow created a creature that does what he does naturally but even better then him and with other additional powers that are crazy strong. It should scare the crap out of him if his highly skilled art form isn't even matching what nature can pull of naturally.

Last edited:
I'm not disturbed that much, because I watched the movie (a year or two ago) and knew what was coming. Still, from Dorry and Broggy's scene until the end, this chapter had me on the edge of my seat, almost crying during the entire confrontation with Lily/Omatsuri and then laughing like a madman when the world started to cheer.

This chapter is a perfect example of why This Bites! is possibly my favorite fanfiction, and certainly my favorite One Piece fic.

Also, what do you guys think about the consequences of Sengoku's actions? He showed - for all the world to hear - sympathy for the Strawhats. Rookies that not only have access to the only functioning Snail Transceiver on the world, but also to a certain loudmouthed self-declared enemy of the World Government that knows way too much, and (although they don't know it yet) the last archaeologist of Ohara. Plus, in Sengoku's own words:

The Five Elder Stars would doubtless be furious at me offering the position to a D., of all people, but considering what you have done, I would regardless be willing… were it not for the fact that I'm certain that you have no interest in the position.

I don't think that many Marines are going to object against his actions. But the Gorōsei and the World Government? Well, although I don't expect they to move openly against him (because PR), I do expect they to start pressuring him to leave his position as Fleet Admiral.

Sengoku resigned by his own free will during the Post-War Arc, suggesting Kuzan as his replacement. However, the favorite of the World Government was Sakazuki, who Kuzan wouldn't accept to serve under. They dueled for the position and Kuzan lost, later joining a pirate crew.

I think that Sengoku is going to be forced to resign even if Cross prevents the War, maybe even sooner than the Sabaody Arc. Because of the different circumstances, Sakazuki will probably become the Fleet Admiral without contest, as the Gorōsei will want someone more loyal to they than Kuzan and Borsalino are. Kuzan, with more doubt in the Marines than canon, will prefer even more defection than serving under Sakazuki. And with the amount of waves that Cross caused, I can't be sure of what he will do then. However, that might be the perfect opportunity to reveal the Marine Integrity Movement to him.

English isn't my first language, so I'm sorry if there are errors.

Interesting discussion on potential knock-off effects of this chapter on SB. I'm copying my post here:

(Er, spoilers here. I don't think anyone else is using tags but it's worth asking?)

Yeah, I'd lean towards the broadcast having some ongoing effect if anything. Just thought you guys had ideas for the plot already so didn't comment. The crew knowing what happened unlike canon (were their memories wiped in the actual movie?) might actually bring them closer together. There's not any ways to resist mind control in One Piece, otherwise I could see them being determined to learn it.

Robin is very unlikely to defect now. The slip of her name in the broadcast seemed like a plot hook as well.

The encounter with Moriah could definitely be different from canon - Luffy definitely won't be underestimated this time. Garp I can totally see repressing the event just like Luffy.

The island will definitely be demolished by the buster call but does that mean people will be asking questions about marines being able to destroy islands? Remember that Ohara was pinned solely on Robin which gave her the bounty. I don't think the buster call was known to the public.

I fully expect Sabo to track down Ace and Luffy (or at least send a snail call) but given your original plots of canon you surely already have plans for that.

I do share EVA's concern about lack of (warning tropes) In Spite of a Nail - TV Tropes but this story is so entertaining that I actually don't mind it too much. Before this event, Cross and the Strawhats didn't have much credibility. Now that Sengoku gave him the offer and his family revealed to the greater public, the changes are likely to start piling up.

In response to Lorostan's spoilers:

I'd love to see Aokiji in the Strawhats but this is probably not the story for it.

An element of chaos, a pirate that casually and flagrantly disrupts the natural order where pirates are largely held in contempt. A nuisance to be destroyed.

A threat.

So the guy cares more about holding to the status quo then? Even after listening in and finding no objectionable actions undertaken by that crew? I'm still trying to get a handle on his character in canon right now.

So the guy cares more about holding to the status quo then? Even after listening in and finding no objectionable actions undertaken by that crew? I'm still trying to get a handle on his character in canon right now.

He murdered an island's worth of civilians, including children, because of the remote risk that a perceived criminal could have snuck onboard.
He murdered a Marine for running from the battle against the Whitebeard Pirates due to not wanting to die and leave his family alone.
He tried to murder Coby for speaking up about saving the Marines that were dying for a fight they'd already won.

His character in canon is a Marine who follows his own warped and unforgiving sense of justice, and murders anyone who's not superior to him who objects. It was a massive shock that he had enough sympathy to spare Aokiji after their duel.

Back