Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Besides which, overreacting to a painful vision of the future and dooming the galaxy is a Skywalker tradition. Anakin did it in RotS and Luke did it in Empire :p

It's something entirely different to have that rage, pull out a pistol, thumb the safety off, point it at a sleeping child, and then and ONLY then do you realize "Whoa wait a second I've messed up need to dial this back a few million notches."
Well, this is a lightsaber we're talking about. You know, magic sword, feels like an extension of your body if you use it long enough.

It's one thing to have that red hot flash of rage moment.

It's something entirely different to have that rage, pull out a pistol, thumb the safety off, point it at a sleeping child, and then and ONLY then do you realize "Whoa wait a second I've messed up need to dial this back a few million notches."

See, that part steams me a lot. I've seen posters elsewhere defend that with 'but people change!' and leave it hanging like that statement means anything. Yeah, people can change. For example, Luke could've grown more over the interim between trilogies and become a seasoned Jedi Master that doesn't have a kinslaying instinct instead of regressing into a hubristic failure.

Look I doubt Anakin was honest to god redeemed.
This is the same man who slaughtered countless in an attempt to save his wife, the idea that he would kill his boss for his son and is provident of redemption is laughable.
It's entirely likely that ghost Anakin got shanked by countless ghost jedi which is why he hasn't been seen at all. It also fits with the whole last generation failed to achieve anything at all.
Kylo despite being my second favorite character kinda should get a bullet to the back of the skull unless if he outright surrenders, in which case he then gets put into a deep dark hole until he dies.

And yet if they further enforced that point of view, people would still defend him and say he's redeemable
Anyone is redeemable. The problem isn't that Ben is beyond redemption, it's that he actively refuses to be redeemed. You cannot save someone who does not want to be saved.

Anakin says that Luke 'saved' him at the end of RotJ, but the truth is that Anakin saved himself. By choosing to do the right thing. All Luke did was offer compassion and acceptance, and the faith that Anakin needed and deserved salvation.

So, yes, Ben could be saved. But he doesn't want to be saved, and so cannot save himself. Time will tell if that changes.

Besides which, overreacting to a painful vision of the future and dooming the galaxy is a Skywalker tradition. Anakin did it in RotS and Luke did it in Empire :p
As I said, the problem is that to use the Force properly you need to trust your instincts, and the Skywalker instincts just so happen to be objectively terrible.

Note that outside of short term combat, Luke only acts wise when he ignores his instincts and instead trusts the people around him.

Luke got his ass saved.
Ankian got his ass saved.
Why cant Rey get her ass saved?

Luke got his ass saved by having someone cover him in a fight. In the first movie? It was Leia who was rescued from captivity, not Rey.

Anakin... when was Anakin captured?

Like, there's no problem with people helping and saving the day, but Rey being captured and needing rescue in the first movie takes her out of the Luke slot.

Attention Citizens, Violation of Rule 3
violation of rule 3: be civil

Rey is not a Mary Sue. Die mad about it.
Never said she was. Die mad about it.

If you cannot discuss things civilly, then don't. You are both receiving a three-day threadban and 25 Points for Violation of Rule 3: Be Civil.

@Kokurokoki you also have a problem with Spaghetti-Posting in the following post: Movies - Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi | Page 112 while I have not edited it, do keep in mind to remain beneath the 5 quotes per post if possible. You need to attack the argument, not dissect it into tiny pieces, and definitely you don't need to attack the person.

With that being said, this is a head's up for the whole thread: Keep the discussion civil.

Whether or not it was a great film, whether or not it was an intelligent and novel idea or a poorly executed thing, you should discuss, and attack, the arguments brought forth and not the persons who speak them. I acknowledge that both sides feel the need to either defend their childhood's Star Wars or the new Trilogy, but remember to keep the discussion civil.

Have a nice day.

The rebellion only had 6 bombers and six bomber crews.
The First Order had more than one dreadnought.

So, while yes, on paper that's absolutely a favorable trade for the Resistance, in reality if they keep doing that they will all be dead before they defeat the First Order. Fighting a war of attrition is a bad plan for them, even if they fight it really, really well.

Wasn´t the Fulminatrix still one of the kind? I got that impression from the BFII DLC.

Poe refers to "those things" being "fleet killers" in plural. Maybe there aren't many, but that certainly suggests more than one.
Considering they had to pursue the resistance with a repair ship (this is my understanding from comments in various threads, if I am wrong then I withdraw my complaint) and said ship couldn't do more than tickle the shields at range maybe they should have brought one of the others in?

Considering they had to pursue the resistance with a repair ship (this is my understanding from comments in various threads, if I am wrong then I withdraw my complaint) and said ship couldn't do more than tickle the shields at range maybe they should have brought one of the others in?
I assumed the rest of their fleet was dealing with subjugating other parts of the galaxy.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. So many people have tried to wave off legitimate criticisms of the new movies by saying "It's just a fantasy! You shouldn't think too much about it!" As if the genre was any excuse for bad plotting.

So just to be clear. You are talking about scientific explanations for things, right? In that case, I agree with you. They don't have to adhere to actual science, so long as they follow their own internal logic.

Bingo.

It would certainly be an interesting debate.

So, are you suggesting that we shouldn't hold fantasy settings to obey our understanding of the universe and how it operates?

Yes, because it doesn't work nor does it have to work that way. If you want to nerd out that hard be my guest, but I will look on with nothing but ridicule and contempt if it's for anything other than laughs.

Last edited:
Bingo.

Yes, because it doesn't work nor does it have to work that way. If you want to nerd out that hard be my guest, but I will look on with nothing but ridicule and contempt if it's for anything other than laughs.
I have this feeling every time I see someone complain about the Dark Saber from Clone Wars/Rebels being unrealistic.

As someone who writes critically about gender issues, I am tired of people misappropriating gender issues here.

Yes, there are plenty of reactionary people who hate on Rey and Finn because they're not white males. But if you want to debate them, go on Twitter, not here. Regardless of how you feel about Rey - and I love her, by the way, and am thrilled a girl is the protagonist of the sequel trilogy - I am seeing two things: Valid criticism - whether you agree with them or not - about how Rey's character is written, and misrepresentation of that criticism as "you're just critical of Rey because she has an uterus". I would, very frankly, like for the latter to stop. Here on Sufficient Velocity, at least. If you want to criticize people for being misogynists, do it somewhere else. Like, on Twitter, where you'd actually do some good instead of pretending people aren't presenting critical literary analysis.

Also, while "Poe doesn't listen to Leia and Holdo because they're women" is a valid interpretation, let's not pretend it's the only valid interpretation, given that it's not actually explicitly supported by the events of canon, only inferred. One could easily argue that Poe didn't care for "people second-guessing a military operation from an armchair". Like, I look out for these things and I didn't even really see it until people on this forum started talking about it. Star Wars, at least from a Watsonian perspective, has never really been a vehicle for exploring gender inequality.

Random thing: As much as one would think Rey is my favorite character of the sequel trilogy - a likeable girl with awesomeness, regardless of whether or not you regard her as a Mary Sue - I think my favorite character is actually Finn. Partly due to Finn being a total Butt Monkey who's out of his depth. He's not a good pilot. He's not a good melee combatant. He can shoot decently well, but that's almost a prerequisite for any named Star Wars character who sees any combat. He's constantly being beaten up, constantly being shown up, constantly being stuck in embarrassing situations. He worked sanitation as a stormtrooper, he drank water from a trough for livestock, he gets smacked by Rey, he gets knocked out from a TIE fighter laser explosion, he gets beaten up by a mere stormtrooper. He wakes up in The Last Jedi walking around in a dripping space diaper. Yet, for all these things, he keeps trying. He keeps trying to do what's right, whether that's protecting his friends or eventually turning against the First Order. He has clear moments of doubt, and he has moments where he wants to run away, but that humanizes him much more.

And that's when I realized that Finn is actually the Heart of the trio he forms with Rey and Poe. Finn occupies a role that's traditionally female; he's the one whom they're the happiest to see, the one they instinctively trust. Poe leaving her midway through The Force Awakens is what breaks Rey for a bit, and Poe believes in him enough to send him on a secret mission in The Last Jedi. And without being weighed down by relegating the role of the Heart to another female character, I honestly find the characterization to be refreshing.

Back