Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Why are you assuming it's that easy?

The First Order could do it on a very suspicious tip, for one. No push-back was seen along the lines of "That will distract our radar techs." or "That uses a lot of power." or anything like that. It was completed in the time it took to wheel the stunned Poe from the bridge to the lifeboats.

Were there any signs, any signs at all, shown that you couldn't just run decloaking scans periodically, other than it makes both the First Order and Holdo look stupid?

The First Order could do it on a very suspicious tip, for one. No push-back was seen along the lines of "That will distract our radar techs." or "That uses a lot of power." or anything like that. It was completed in the time it took to wheel the stunned Poe from the bridge to the lifeboats.

Were there any signs, any signs at all, shown that you couldn't just run decloaking scans periodically, other than it makes both the First Order and Holdo look stupid?
How about the fact that it's not done regularly? Oh wait, my mistake, that would require not assuming incompetence as opposed to any other factor.

One of these days I need to go back and rewatch Empire just to make a tally of all the silly technical nonsense that grognards would be enraged by in 2018. Seems like it qould be enlightening.

This entire discussion is bit off putting to me because:

You can have something of a tragedy where, for understandable reasons, two people make mistakes and it causes larger problems.
Yes, but if those mistakes rely on utter butchering of people's personalities (why is Poe suddenly this unreasonable near-stereotypical hothead?), then that is the issue with the writer and director.

Tired: characters who are able to pose a threat to the protagonists through guile and skill

Wired: slapstick duos who are into breathplay

this website is free

Yes, but if those mistakes rely on utter butchering of people's personalities (why is Poe suddenly this unreasonable near-stereotypical hothead?), then that is the issue with the writer and director.

yeah it's not like Poe spent the entire first movie being reckless and cocky, he was such a cautious—

*someone whispers in my ear*

oh

I mean Poe didn't really have a personality before this film and was supposed to die in the first act of TFA but the director liked the actor so added parts for him later.

I'm pretty sure you've already been warned against impyling people who like the movie aren't as intelligent as you, but the irony is delicious so you do you I guess :V
That would be overstating my intentions, which is to avoid making such amateur mistakes in my own writing. Why would anyone think my statement is an indication that liking a film means someone is dumb, unless they're the ones thinking such in the first place :V

On the topic on hand: I do wonder what Hux will be doing from now on..... so manhandled around by Ben.

Last edited:
That would be overstating my intentions, which is to avoid making such amateur mistakes in my own writing. Why would anyone think my statement is an indication that liking a film means someone is dumb, unless they're the ones thinking such in the first place :V

so your purpose is to stand on a corner and loudly declare how much smarter you are than the writers of the film, because unless you do this you will write the bad fic...?

so your purpose is to stand on a corner and loudly declare how much smarter you are than the writers of the film, because unless you do this you will write the bad fic...?
Perhaps you need to consider whether you are projecting your own thoughts into the supposed purpose of my posts.

Perhaps you need to consider whether you are projecting your own thoughts into the supposed purpose of my posts.

perhaps you need to consider that I can read your posts before gaslighting me

That would be overstating my intentions, which is to avoid making such amateur mistakes in my own writing. Why would anyone think my statement is an indication that liking a film means someone is dumb, unless they're the ones thinking such in the first place

Your only contributions to the thread have been to repeatedly, and frankly superficially, complain about how "amateur" the film's writing is with a dash of insulting people who enjoy it by saying the only way one could is by turning off their brain. You were then warned not to do this, especially given that you haven't posted a single interesting or intelligent comment in the entire thread. Yet now here you are continuing to go on and on about how stupid the writers are, and when asked why you provide a non sequitor about making sure your own writing isn't as bad as the film's.

You know I'm beginning to suspect you aren't actually a brilliant critic, but a tiresome bother without anything interesting to say. I've asked you repeatedly why you keep coming back to the thread to post variations of "this film suuuucks" and when asked why all you can offer is empty smugness.

Hey, can we maybe talk about the movie rather than about why we really don't want to reply to each other?

---

So, here's something I was considering: Did anyone else here follow the fan lightsaber fight videos which proliferated on Youtube a while back, like the famous RvD videos?

I ask because the one lightsaber battle we got in this movie seemed like it used some of them as a visual source. Notably, I've seen the iaijutsu offensive-ignite technique we saw in the movie that ended the guard fight there before, and to my knowledge, that's the first time we see it in the SW cinematic universe. We also get a good mid-point between high-energy and action and the mad bunny-hopping of the prequels.

Here's hoping the guard fight inspires a new generation of fan lightsaber videos.

General Reminder on Passive-Aggressiveness and Rule 4
thread policy Good Evening.

I would like the users involved in the discussion to remember that trying to get a rise out of other posters is a Rule 4 violation. Being passive-aggressive isn't fine, and this time around I'm merely coming here to ensure you all chill out once more.

Keep the conversation civil, be polite, and have a nice day.

Hey, can we maybe talk about the movie rather than about why we really don't want to reply to each other?

---

So, here's something I was considering: Did anyone else here follow the fan lightsaber fight videos which proliferated on Youtube a while back, like the famous RvD videos?

I ask because the one lightsaber battle we got in this movie seemed like it used some of them as a visual source. Notably, I've seen the iaijutsu offensive-ignite technique we saw in the movie that ended the guard fight there before, and to my knowledge, that's the first time we see it in the SW cinematic universe. We also get a good mid-point between high-energy and action and the mad bunny-hopping of the prequels.

Here's hoping the guard fight inspires a new generation of fan lightsaber videos.

I'm a huge, huge fan of the duel in TFA (no joke, I think it might be maybe the third best duel in the series), but I really dug how TLJ seems to have kind've synthesized the flashy-but-hollow style of the prequels with the internal-conflicts-externalized-into-laser-sword-duels/Samurai-duels of the OT. Rey and Kylo's team up against the Praetorian Guards feels like the first time where we've gotten a badass lightsaber fight that also has real character weight behind it. It's exhilarating stuff.

I'm a huge, huge fan of the duel in TFA (no joke, I think it might be maybe the third best duel in the series), but I really dug how TLJ seems to have kind've synthesized the flashy-but-hollow style of the prequels with the internal-conflicts-externalized-into-laser-sword-duels/Samurai-duels of the OT. Rey and Kylo's team up against the Praetorian Guards feels like the first time where we've gotten a badass lightsaber fight that also has real character weight behind it. It's exhilarating stuff.

I think the reason that duel works for me compared to the emptiness of so many prequel fights is because it's still about Kylo and Rey and the sudden shift in allegiances. I wasn't worried about the Praetorian Guard not having character because in a small way they were almost extensions of Snoke's character—Kylo's betrayal has immediate aftershocks—and because the camera reminds us more than once that even as they're fighting separately, Kylo and Rey are still looking over to see if the other is okay. All of the dramatic weight is on one side of the fight.

That and it was just a bitchin cool fight with a beautiful progression—the burning curtains were inspired.

And then at the end of the film we get the "fight" between Kylo and Luke, which is almost the inverse: very little action, but a ton of dramatic red meat in terms of the tension and history between the characters.

Last edited:
Something I think was cool about the fight was how they both relied on eachother first in that shot where she leans on him to kick off an Praetorian Guard as well as several other times in the fight. It was personal my 2nd fav lightsaber fight after Qui Gon vs Darth Maul.

Back