Self medicating can't be the best way to do this. Wonder if their will be complications.
Spoilers!
Kosuke Maruboshi

I am guessing this guy is the grandfather, last name is different than the OP though that may be because of marriage.
Correct! And he may show up later on. but for the record, the SI does not recognize him. mainly due to the fact that when Kosuke comes to visit, he doesn;t wear his shinobi gear out of his daughter's preference. if he had seen him in his gear with the wok when he was younger, it might have clicked, but until someone goes 'your grandfathers the legendary eternal genin!!!?' he hasn't realized anything. he does know grandpa is bad-ass. after all, old ninja don't happen due to luck.
I liked this update. It's a good update. But camping, even in places that are frequently traversed, when the government knows you're there, is still dangerous. I hope you told a couple of ninja where you were. Grandpa, one of the Instructors, Asako? Eh? Eh?
hmm... someone may come along eventually. I have a short interlude planned for a few chapters ahead.
he DID file papers with the administration with, from what i understood, his general location, at the least

very nice to know a bit more about his family. being the grandson of the eternal genin (if we're not being red-herring'd) is a nice touch, too ^^
Yep. he took care to make sure his camping trip was authorized through the Hokages offices, and that they knew where he was in the case of emergencey.

Op did you take any inspiration from gambit for your character's skillset?
yes, later on, particularly once we get close to Naruto Chunin exam, you'll see exactly how much my character took from gambits skillset. after all. that's when I plan for him to get a melee weapon he likes.

yes, later on, particularly once we get close to Naruto Chunin exam, you'll see exactly how much my character took from gambits skillset. after all. that's when I plan for him to get a melee weapon he likes.
Hmm it might be possible for a yin, yang or yin yang type of jutsu to pull off gambits charging trick. which make senbon kind of gruesomely horrifying.

Magician- 2
Back once again! next chapters an interlude should be coming sooner then his chapter did. enjoy!

Oh, at the behest of my muse, I ended up starting my first quest today! here's the link,

Without Oversight
- [Worm Tinker Quest] You may have caused Canberra, and now you are cast adrift. with only a collection of half mad tinkers and thinkers, a Stolen Cargo ship, and the ability to hide your future. you must survive.

I sat at the edge of the clearing in the early morning light, back to a tree as I read through the scroll for yet another time a quick breakfast of oats and berries at my side. I had opened my presents from my father and grandfather. The first was the Higurashi scroll, and it was, as expected, filled with weapons. Interestingly, was the variety. Three different styles of shuriken, a three bladed collapsing version that has longer and lighter blades, the standard four-pronged academy style, and a set of six-pointed stars. Another dozen boxes of varieties of senbon, some longer, some shorter, some one-sided, some kinked or grooved for various purposes a box with only ten had longer ones wrapped with cloth to make grips. A few were shaped more like sewing needles, with eyes for a thread, and a few cases of the accompanying ninja thread. There were four demon-windmill shurikens, all the collapsing four bladed style, and a duo of a three-bladed version of them, both of the those with a few intriguing tricks built in.

I traced the variety of weapons with a smile on my face. I had asked Higurashi about his variety of weapons a few weeks ago and asked if he had any custom orders for basic tools that were never picked up. He came through in spades, and my father had apparently asked him for a full load out. If I was careful, these would last me through plenty of missions, potentially till I was Chunin.

I had put most of the tools back in the scroll, only keeping out a pair of windmill shuriken, a full set of kunai, and a few loops of wire. I wanted to get used to the weight and balance of my new weapons for a bit. But for now, I was focusing on the other scroll.

My grandpa's gift came with a note.

Grandson,
As you enter your final year of the academy, I believe it is finally time for you to learn this jutsu. I have seen your notes of chakra in your journal, yes, that journal. Not the fake you keep with your school supplies. Your understanding of chakra is… potent, yet incomplete. This scroll and its jutsu should help you master what you seek.

Remember grandson, that you are not built to be the sword or hammer, but a knife in the dark.

I also included a few notes of my own for your research. I do hope it helps.

-Your Grandfather-

Demon Illusion: Hell Viewing Technique. It was not just a 'how to' scroll either. No, this one had the entire breakdown of how each hand seal how to channel chakra through each part. each shift of chakra and each part of the jutsu worked. Beyond that, some parts were clearly marked in dark green ink with my grandfather's hand. Notes on how things should feel instead of how things work. Tidbits like the looser the chakra something is, the more subtle it is but the longer it takes. He even makes a note that you can use simple seals to channel genjutsu to avoid a handsign.

Then at the blank space at the end of the scroll. Is a trick of his.

He calls it visual splitting. Part genjutsu, part bushin, part speed.

I was so~ gonna have fun with this.

---

I finished attaching my new tools to my outfit and checking the feel. The main outfit was what looked like a loosely wrapped kimono, under which was a skin tight dark blue tank top. The tank top was over the wire shirt and loose yet extremely stiff sleeves that now hung down just past my wrists, the faint gleam of metal from my knuckles peeking past the hem. My dark blue pants were held tight to my legs with black ribbons in certain places, forming a complex criss-cross across my lower legs and knees. My feet were protected by thin soled boots that had split toes for grip. Across the left side of my belt were four pouches, each one with a different type of senbon or shuriken. On my right side, held to my leg with the same crisscrossing ribbons, was the standard Kunai and shuriken pouch. I also had a few pockets sewn on the inside of my kimono, holding another collection of senbon and shuriken, a small sleeve filled with low-powered explosive notes saved from the lessons at the academy and so on.

My gloves had expanded. I had changed from straight leather to overlapping layers of tightly laced wire, leather, and a stretchy shinobi designed fabric that was durable yet flexible. The layers meant that I could now go full rogue, and as such my arms were now layered with a dozen more of subtle slots and pockets. My knife had been relegated to higher on my arms, as I made room for the extra long and sturdy senbon built for melee, two lining my forearms on each hand.

Finished with my inspection of my gear, and adjusting my belt slightly so it hung more naturally to my frame, and took a breath.

I took a long look around, up the lightly forested slope that leads up the mountain ahead of me, and the edge of the cliff that stretched out to each side.

I loosened my muscles and stretched one last time.

Then, without ceremony, I took a step back, and let the world shift me sideways. For a split second, I was in free fall, before my foot tapped the stone, chakra flickering at the contract. My fall turned into a flip backward. A hand lashed out as I spun, and a flicker of chakra sent me skidding along the cliff feet glowing with enough chakra to stay vertical but not stay in one place. I found my footing, sideways up a cliff, a good forty feet above the water of the pond beneath me.

Slowly, I worked my way through a basic yoga pose, going from four limbs to two, from hand to legs each motion exaggerated so that the sweat pools off my brow and down my limbs., my chakra is moving carefully, conservatively. Since I've completed the basics of the tree climbing exercise, I've started trying to get my abilities to a practical level. And now my control has shot farther than I expected. With reserves following at a more sedate pace.

I finish my sequence of poses and stances, and relax, letting my mind clear.

And then I started shadow boxing.

I wove around the granite cliff face, hands lashing up as I focused on learning to maneuver across the wall. Jumps and lunges didn't work, neither did leaps back or up. To fight on the wall, I had to stay close to the stone. Dive and back steps that would normally keep me low. But also using my hands to change direction without warning, to launch or orient myself as I moved.

After a few minutes, I made my first major mistake. I reflexively pushed forwards to reach a new vantage point and pushed myself too far.

Two seconds later I was cursing as I splashed into the water below.

I dragged myself out of the water and pushing past the weight of the water in my outfit, I resumed shadow boxing, clambering back up the cliff as I moved, trying to be fast and move evasively. The water dripping from my outfit made it far more difficult.

Two hours later, chakra depleted to my personal stopping point, legs sore, and once more soaking wet, I collapsed at the bank of the river, just letting my breath come back.

I burst out laughing at the ache that I felt in my limbs and looked up at the wall I had been training on. Where before it was clear and unmarred, now it had dozens of Kunai with wires stuck to them placed across the wall, forming a tangled web of ninja wire, an entire spools worth. I had found that I could use a kunai and wire to get me back to the stone after more elaborate movements, even if just for a simple yank. A fall could be turned into a slide or a quick movement with a wire. A good half of the wires hanging from the wall had snapped under my weight or yanked the kunai from the stone. Eventually, I got the hang of lodging them so that they worked as makeshift pinons.

I lean back on the bank and let my gaze drift over to the hot springs.

"I do need to relax…"

---

I lean back against the wall of the pool, the tension and stress of training fading, the scratches of pulled and stretched muscles softening under the ministrations of the hot water.

Over the last year, my hair has grown somewhat, now my bangs hang low enough to almost reach my eyes. I need to cut it soon, but the weight is somewhat comforting to me at the moment, the weight feeling relaxing like this. Closing my eyes, I consider my new arsenal of weapons.

The three bladed shuriken curved sharper when thrown, and the collapsed form made it easier to conceal. They were also lighter than normal shrunken, so that mean that the impact was less, but the speed would be higher. I could probably spin it faster and with the curved blade… better for glancing blows probably. The six-bladed shuriken is a tad heavier than standard, and the profile means that with a straight shot, they hit harder. The various senbon were mostly for grips or for delivering poison or explosive tags. But the short ones, half standard size, are for quick throws, that could be useful.

The Windmill shuriken would be a bit of a new experience. The test throw earlier had confirmed that they had a weight to them, and throwing them was blatantly obvious. No subtlety whatsoever. and I'll need to brush up on my wire work. The three-bladed windmills were a bit better, lighter and with shorter arms, and have two forms other than folded for storage. One where they lock into a short bladed fan, the blades barely overlapping, the other for the standard throwing position.

I sink deeper into the pool and focus on my chakra.

It takes less than a second to find it, the slow and almost lethargic pulse that I recognize as slowly refilling.

Sighing, I finish my soak in the pool, and climb out, drying out before I change into the loose shirt and hakama and ninja sandals that I packed for the pond. It is simple, but while I'm letting my outfit dry out, it'll do.

I reach over and gather up my new windmill shuriken, and grab a hatchet. Twenty minutes later, I finish putting up the bamboo scarecrow that I retrieved from the scroll, and have it planted at the edge of the cliff, in a vein of dirt that runs between the cliff and the rough stone of the riverbed.

I take a stance, and let fly. The first half hour or so is a bust. The shuriken goes too far or flies wanky. Slowly, oh so slowly, I start figuring out how to use the weight, I use spins and long sweeping throws to send it flying. I lung with the motion, I stand stoically, I lean into the throw. A few times I fall or stumble from the weight, the shuriken is half my height after all.

Finally, I start smoothing the motion out. The crazy swings start turning into smooth throws, the balance of my motion smooths out. I continue until the sun starts to set, the shadow of the cliffside slowly creeping over the river.

Swapping back to my now dry outfit, I go hunting for dinner. A half hour of tree hopping silently through the trees. It's not long until I cross a game trail, and start following it carefully. Finally, I come to a small clearing with a trio of rabbits jumping around. Taking careful aim, a senbon finds the skull of the largest rabbit, the other two fleeing.

I drop down and proceed to skin and gut the rabbit, using a kunai to bury the guts in a shallow hole. I expect a scavenger to come and steal it sooner or later.

Slinging the rabbit on a wire, I hang it over my shoulder and head back to camp.

My stomach has been slightly upset, but nothing much. Some protein from the rabbit and rehydrating some of the milk powder in my supplies for a drink should help with the growing process.

I think about my plans for the next few days.

Get used to my new weapon designs, at least somewhat anyway, and start on the hell viewing jutsu molding. My control, especially with the recent boost, should help with that. Speaking of control, I should start water walking somewhat, or at least try and start water walking. I reach camp and proceed to set up to cook the rabbit.

---

Later, as the fire dies down, I sit on a log and look up, eyes tracing the stars. In my hand is a deck of cards, one I had to special order. The back of the card is my green skull emblem, the wide grinning jawline and the bright green of the eyes by the light of the fire, I lift it up, flipping the card to reveal the king of Diamonds.

"Huh. "

I flip the card back and resume shuffling, letting myself fall into a halfway meditative trance, and then, softly I start to sing.

"Well, i was walking down the street…"
As I sing, I let myself fall back into memories. Both now mine and once mine.

Last edited:
I thought SI didnt realize his grandfather was a badass shouldnt he be more shocked when he gets an awesome jutsu scroll from him?

Nice chapter. You might want to cut down on the character description though - Having several paragraphs dedicated to it is too much.

Other than that, i like the style of this story and character.

The Windmill shuriken would be a bit of a new experience. The test throw earlier had confirmed that they had a weight to them, and throwing them was blatantly obvious. No subtlety whatsoever.

Yup, no subtlety whatsoever.
You are just throwing a giant shuriken, definitely not distracting them from something else, or a shadow throw, or some exploding tags hidden on the back of the blades.
And it's definitely not a genjustsu of throwing a shuriken!

Yup, no subtlety whatsoever.
You are just throwing a giant shuriken, definitely not distracting them from something else, or a shadow throw, or some exploding tags hidden on the back of the blades.
And it's definitely not a genjustsu of throwing a shuriken!
yeah, note how he said the Giant Shuriken wasn't subtle. he never mentioned that it wasn't a potential distraction. His issue is that right now without any sort of mastery, it's not an efficient one. Give him time to get the giant shuriken down, and then he can start adding his favorite lethal tricks to it.

hmm....
imagine this (the one it hopefully starts on) but bigger and on multiple things

more cutting power, and range, and it can be used as a shield

Going to point out one thing that a lot of SI characters seem to gloss over.

Gai and Lee are proof that chakra means your abilities don't have caps. Physical abilities at least. You can literally be faster and stronger every week than you were the week before just by rote training strength and speed with religious fervor. People in that world who say they don't have the body for it are lying to themselves because they don't want to put in the work to change their body.

You can be a world class trickster but you should take into consideration if your time would have been better spent literally running in circles all day.

I reach over and gather up my new windmill shuriken, and grab a hatchet. Twenty minutes later, I finish putting up the bamboo scarecrow that you retrieved from the scroll, and have it planted at the edge of the cliff, in a vein of dirt that runs between the cliff and the rough stone of the riverbed.

'You' should be 'I'.

Gai and Lee are proof that chakra means your abilities don't have caps. Physical abilities at least. You can literally be faster and stronger every week than you were the week before just by rote training strength and speed with religious fervor. People in that world who say they don't have the body for it are lying to themselves because they don't want to put in the work to change their body.

You can be a world class trickster but you should take into consideration if your time would have been better spent literally running in circles all day.
No, they still had caps. It's just that the caps are pretty high, and more like in acceleration than endurance. Gai and Lee's trainings and bets is more about endurance, and maybe a bit of speed. However, against enemies (far) above their class, time to unlock that Forbidden Seal, which let them gain explosive acceleeration and (probably) stronger musculature at the cost, at very maximum, their ability to move ever again. Their endurance help them survive, but go surpass that caps and all your insurance claims are invalid.

hmm....
imagine this (the one it hopefully starts on) but bigger and on multiple things

more cutting power, and range, and it can be used as a shield

the issue with things like that will boil down to affinity. he could spend time working on wind techniques, but it would take him past the start of canon to gain anything resembling competence in it. his alignment will be explored eventually, but for now, he's focusing on the basics and perfecting the start of his style.

No, they still had caps. It's just that the caps are pretty high, and more like in acceleration than endurance. Gai and Lee's trainings and bets is more about endurance, and maybe a bit of speed. However, against enemies (far) above their class, time to unlock that Forbidden Seal, which let them gain explosive acceleeration and (probably) stronger musculature at the cost, at very maximum, their ability to move ever again. Their endurance help them survive, but go surpass that caps and all your insurance claims are invalid.
He is developing his body, though maybe not as potent as Gai trained Lee, but he's trying g to fight the way that feels natural. its deception and movement and an endless array of feints that aren't feints. it why he spends afternoons repeating a trick, or shadowboxes across the cliff. it's training, but more for reflex and agility. he probably is leading the rest of the guys in class when it comes to natural flexibility and evasion. others are faster in a straight line, but he's probably considered the best when it comes to fighting in a 3D space.

Last edited:
the issue with things like that will boil down to affinity. he could spend time working on wind techniques, but it would take him past the start of canon to gain anything resembling competence in it. his alignment will be explored eventually, but for now, he's focusing on the basics and perfecting the start of his style.

He is developing his body, though maybe not as potent as Gai trained Lee, but he's trying g to fight the way that feels natural. its deception and movement and an endless array of feints that aren't feints. it why he spends afternoons repeating a trick, or shadowboxes across the cliff. it's training, but more for reflex and agility. he probably is leading the rest of the guys in class when it comes to natural flexibility and evasion. others are faster in a straight line, but he's probably considered the best when it comes to fighting in a 3D space. he
He what? I think therere is a mistake in your post.

I am on my tablet right now, so quoting is difficult. However, I believe you mean wonky, not wanky.
(The error I spotted is twelve paragraphs up from the bottom, in the last word of the third sentence.)

That is the one thing we see in common in Minato, Kakashi, Itachi and most notably, the third Hokage.
Shurikenjutsu scales really well with practice and often augments most other ninja techniques.We don't really see it much beyond Tenten's level, but when we do, it insta-kills armies.And it requires only basic deception to reach deadly levels.
IMO the reason Zabuza said that most ninjas have a way of blocking/dodging shuriken is that they don't survive long enough without developing it.Any notable shuriken using S-rankers (3rd,Itachi,Sasuke) are considered army killers.

Mostly, the sound and hand motion tend to give away the trajectory of the shuriken.The solution obviously, is to hide them or speed them up so that the opponent has no time to react.Barring that, time barrages so that they reach the opponent exactly when you disengage from taijutsu.

Back