Mammoth Apostate vs the World 1: "Lost in the Mist"

Let's focus on the Sturgis and if our bullets and airbursts hit the wasps... well, that's just unfortunate for them. It's really hard to pick targets in a furball without IFF, you know?

I'm cool with that, eliminate the most numerous is ALSO a valid strategy.

Attempting Grapple #3, roll inbound.
BadKatt85 threw 1 10-faced dice. Reason: grapplez Total: 8
8 8

grapple attempt #3 vs parry(bite) , -2 (as that will be the 3rd grapple in a row) No longer suffering a penalty for the earlier crit-flail :p

Parry attempt fails now for opposed grapple roll.

Widower rolled an effective 5 on the grapple need a player roll PLEASE to compare.
Smithsguild threw 1 10-faced dice. Reason: grapple #3 Total: 2
2 2
Smithsguild threw 1 10-faced dice. Reason: grapple roll -2 Total: 7
7 7

Last edited:
grapple attempt #3 vs parry(bite) , -2 (as that will be the 3rd grapple in a row) No longer suffering a penalty for the earlier crit-flail :p

Parry attempt fails now for opposed grapple roll.

Widower rolled an effective 5 on the grapple need a player roll PLEASE to compare.
Rolling to ruin a spider's day.
Edit: the spider resists.
Highwind threw 1 10-faced dice. Reason: Grapple Total: 1
1 1

...I'll roll the Fortunate Sons in the meantime. (Highwind then rolled 7, 9, 10, 7, 4, 6, & 8)

If I'm to assume they will use their most effective attack @Highwind , Fortunates are lighting up the night with .50 Hvy MG , Hvy SSC (limited AoE 1d3 targets) You owe me 6 rolls of 1d3 for hits (and another 1d3 explosion for that 10)

Oh so many options for destruction, it's hard to keep track ;)

Rolling to ruin a spider's day.
Edit: the spider resists.

Spider rolled an effective 5 versus your 1, yowtch! spider generates 4 advantage uses points for Free Attack - Paralytic Bite rolled at the -2 so needs a 7 to succeed in bite (is normal a 5+ w/o malus)

Bite attempt roll incoming!

Success, another soldier seizes, muscles locking!
Smithsguild threw 1 10-faced dice. Reason: Bitey bite Total: 10
10 10

Last edited:
We need a new more potent word for Arachnid hatred, loathing is insufficient.

roll some dakka, the roll some Moar DAKKA... 7d3 worth of dead flyers DAKKA!!!
Honestly, why not just do a 4 point free attack and kill this bugger already?

If I'm to assume they will use their most effective attack @Highwind , Fortunates are lighting up the night with .50 Hvy MG , Hvy SSC (limited AoE 1d3 targets) You owe me 6 rolls of 1d3 for hits (and another 1d3 explosion for that 10)

Oh so many options for destruction, it's hard to keep track ;)
Seven 1d3s coming up!
Highwind threw 7 3-faced dice. Reason: Fortunate AoEs Total: 17
3 3 1 1 3 3 2 2 3 3 3 3 2 2

We need a new more potent word for Arachnid hatred, loathing is insufficient.

Is there a word for a parent enjoying a taste of schadenfreude at his child's expense...

(/ˈSHädənˌfroidə/ noun
pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune. "a business that thrives on schadenfreude" )

Oh that's right... we're called asses. (amongst other things)

Last edited:
(OOC)

Honest opinion time, it is seeming I'm losing the give take of more of our Players (KnightDiscipline, Cmd. Frost, Cokerpilot, DGR, are near silent) Nixeu, HolyDragoon, and Fyrstorm do contributory drive-byes and the heavy lifting all seems on Highwind and Badkatt.

Is it time to thank you all for the ride and Call it? This is not a judgement against anyone either; a thing is worthy of your leisure time or it's not. No apologies needed, it was my attempt to entertain. I am merely concerned somehow/someway I am failing YOU. If it HAS lost its appeal any feedback to improve my performance in future quests would be appreciated.

(OOC)

Honest opinion time, it is seeming I'm losing the give take of more of our Players (KnightDiscipline, Cmd. Frost, Cokerpilot, DGR, are near silent) Nixeu, HolyDragoon, and Fyrstorm do contributory drive-byes and the heavy lifting all seems on Highwind and Badkatt.

Is it time to thank you all for the ride and Call it? This is not a judgement against anyone either; a thing is worthy of your leisure time or it's not. No apologies needed, it was my attempt to entertain. I am merely concerned somehow/someway I am failing YOU. If it HAS lost its appeal any feedback to improve my performance in future quests would be appreciated.
It hasn't lost its appeal as much as combat can get confusing unless you're paying close attention and the multiple combat zones make things harder for the casual player to keep track of. I'm making do by taking things update by update and keeping things as simple as possible in my head.

I had almost completely forgotten about the burrowers coming for us up until now, because they haven't been relevant for the past few days. I'll continue to ignore them and everything else until this segment is done, because otherwise I won't be able to keep track of it over the course of the week.

Plus, by now college and work are back in full swing, so that's another reason for people not to speak as much, or to have less time to contribute. I make do by posting mostly from my phone, but other people might not be as lucky when it comes to finding the time to participate.

Honestly, the only criticism I can level at your QM-ing style is that the stats for the conventional units are something of a mess.

(OOC)

The quest hasn't lost it's appeal, but one of the Met.K.E.R. sisters showed up at the door and asked if I was up for a good time, I was not strong enough to refuse her. To the detriment of other pass times unfortunately.

Fortunately I'm almost through Exodus so give it a day or two and I'll be good to go.

(OOC)

Nah, mate. I'm just juggling stuff. School's been a real pain, life has been getting in the way, and other quests are keeping me busy.

If I have a critique, though, it's that there's a lot of stuff be keeping track of when it comes to combat. Enough that I'm not sure I have a strong enough grasp of the data to really contribute during fights. It's sort of the inevitable result of focusing on smaller scale fighting, honestly: more details and things to track.

A map would probably help. If you know a way to create a map of the region with a grid that corresponds roughly to one unit per square, that'd do a lot to reduce the confusion on both our ends. Just keep the "clean" map saved on your computer and add the markers to signify where each combatant is as needed, and you could crop areas of it when using it for smaller battles so things are more visible.

Honestly, the biggest problem I've found with the "Vs The World" quest format so far is that it start breaking down once you start building up your forces beyond the Jaegers and a few Coventional units. It stops being a back-alley brawl simulator and becomes essentially a RTS simulator, and the system as it is can't handle that unless you're very talented at QM-ing and keeping track of everything so your players don't have to.

I still think the best format for a "Vs The World" Quest, in the long run, is the players controlling a single Ranger, with the Conventional units being abstracted away as being too busy patrolling the region to larticipate in the fight or defending against Cat 0s coming from another direction, and the base-running aspects being torn from it entirely in favor of a more character-driven approach such as interacting with a NPC that represents the Research division to get new equipment or unlock new research paths.

I am an insecure old fart, and from time to time need reassurances that I'm still doing okay.
It is one of my least endearing character faults. A constant need for outside validation. I will attempt to reign it in...

-----------------

As always excellent suggestions Highwind & Nixeu . I will work on the better enduring 'clean' map and if you (or anyone else) are feeling industrious I would gladly chip away at more/better organized information. Especially the messy conventionals.

Again, I am so sorry for the lack of better book keeping genes. (Or at least the -drive- to do better maintenance).

Some of it is a lack of know how with Google docs, (inserting the neat inner document links to jump to searched for content etc.) I know it would only require minimal research on my part (but who wants to research useful life skills when I can find neat artwork for my gribblies instead?).

Some of it is spur of the moment additions, and me not adhering to a standard template of which stat is listed first, second, how do I organize multiple weapons, etc. etc.

---------------

QM ego has been eased. You guys (and gal) have been better players than I deserve.

Keep challenging me and you lurkers show some love, at least roll some dice. Heavy lifting plan wise not required but if you lurk and see a Die roll snatch that puppy up, no one will boo you for 1's ( just ask Fyrstorm ;)) it will free your more wordy compatriots to do tactical planning or downtime stuff and will move the quest along with the additional plus side of I don't think I'm down to 2 active players.

(OOC) mapping tool progress, I found a site that imposes 1 km grid over google maps at max zoom and designed a template using 'paint' to create a 100 m transparent over lay template. (100 m being our standard unit for mv and range)
Jaeger scale 1 km with imposed .10 km grid

It's free to use. GISsurfer | Replacement for Gmap4

Zoomed out to 10km or 100 km my template should work ( with some minor effort) to break it down to a strategic map that should be friendly for units that can run/swim/fly 1+ Km a turn.

10 km example

above map is 4x 10 km squares

Last edited:
(OOC)

It hasn't lost its appeal as much as combat can get confusing unless you're paying close attention and the multiple combat zones make things harder for the casual player to keep track of. I'm making do by taking things update by update and keeping things as simple as possible in my head.

I had almost completely forgotten about the burrowers coming for us up until now, because they haven't been relevant for the past few days. I'll continue to ignore them and everything else until this segment is done, because otherwise I won't be able to keep track of it over the course of the week.

Plus, by now college and work are back in full swing, so that's another reason for people not to speak as much, or to have less time to contribute. I make do by posting mostly from my phone, but other people might not be as lucky when it comes to finding the time to participate.

Honestly, the only criticism I can level at your QM-ing style is that the stats for the conventional units are something of a mess.

Pretty much what Highwind said in regards to how hard it can be to keep fights straight in my head, hence deferring to other plan-makers, and mainly trying to contribute die rolls and thoughts/advice.

Plus I ended up busy/distracted this weekend. *shrugs*

Keep challenging me and you lurkers show some love, at least roll some dice. Heavy lifting plan wise not required but if you lurk and see a Die roll snatch that puppy up, no one will boo you for 1's ( just ask Fyrstorm ;)) it will free your more wordy compatriots to do tactical planning or downtime stuff and will move the quest along with the additional plus side of I don't think I'm down to 2 active players.
Speaking of rolls, with all fliers cleared out by the Fortunate Sons and the Burn Unit focusing on grappling with the Widower (or just killing it with a 4 point free attack), what do we have left to roll this turn?

A map would probably help. If you know a way to create a map of the region with a grid that corresponds roughly to one unit per square, that'd do a lot to reduce the confusion on both our ends. Just keep the "clean" map saved on your computer and add the markers to signify where each combatant is as needed, and you could crop areas of it when using it for smaller battles so things are more visible.

Honestly, the biggest problem I've found with the "Vs The World" quest format so far is that it start breaking down once you start building up your forces beyond the Jaegers and a few Coventional units. It stops being a back-alley brawl simulator and becomes essentially a RTS simulator, and the system as it is can't handle that unless you're very talented at QM-ing and keeping track of everything so your players don't have to.

I still think the best format for a "Vs The World" Quest, in the long run, is the players controlling a single Ranger, with the Conventional units being abstracted away as being too busy patrolling the region to larticipate in the fight or defending against Cat 0s coming from another direction, and the base-running aspects being torn from it entirely in favor of a more character-driven approach such as interacting with a NPC that represents the Research division to get new equipment or unlock new research paths.
If you want it to retain the same format the whole way through, that probably would be the best option. But I think the system works pretty well with Cons, for the most part. Smith's smaller scale system does need to work a few kinks out, but that's going to be true of most new variations on a system, so that's not surprising. The Downtime system works decently well, too, IMO.

There can be issues when there are too many units on the battlefield, though, or when you have too many battlefields to manage. That can make fights last a lot longer. Smith's low vote thresholds for combat actions make that much less of an issue here than in Tacit Quest, but at the cost of the action moving rather quickly, which can make keeping up with what's happening slightly harder. Overall, I think that's actually a positive change, but, as you said, a map would make life so much easier, for everyone involved. But then, maps make any game like this easier, in my experience.

I'm used to your organized piles of chaos.

If I found you were organized here and had been loafing as you taught me to game I'd give you crap for the last 15-20 years.

I say roll a free attack and if we grease him, rolling is settled.

Smithsguild informed me Mrs. Smithsguild has a day of yard work ahead of him.

Spring planting time :rofl::rofl:

Shadenfraude indeed! :p

You have 3 more soldiers available to grapple if you so choose.

However, the consensus who have spoken so far (Both Highwind & now BadKatt) have voiced the risk (more potentially paralyzed soldiers) was NOT worth the reward (a cinematic rewarding death).

just killing it with a 4 point free attack
Ak to forehead is equally cinematic IMHO.

Back