The Slave Who Makes Free: An Anakin Skywalker Quest

It's about righteous revolt.

Gotta be a rebel to pick it!
"Juyo self-study" is probably one of the thoughts that keeps Windu up at night. (Nobody can tell because he always sleeps with his eyes open anyway, oh fuck stay back)

Djem So was Anakin's preferred form in the canon timeline, and considering how monstrous of a duelist he was with it? I Think this is probably the go-to choice. Interesting thing about it is that it's also known as the way of the Krayt Dragon, very fitting for someone from Tatooine.
Yet Ataru is the strongest dueling form. Look, we need to do at least four midair spins in order to cut all the way through another lightsaber, and you're only getting that from Ataru.

What's your reasoning for that? Form 2 for example is tailor made for dueling.
That's what the description I looked up claimed - suppose we'll see when the QM posts. But I figure that while Form 2 is the "dueling form", it's constrained by the idea of a duel and the precise, conservative movements of that way of fighting.

Meanwhile, Ataru is flipping off a wall at 50 MPH while screeching like an animal (optional) and trying to cut your opponent's head off with a 720 degree strike. I imagine that as a counter to Form 2, and thus ideal for defeating a single skilled opponent.

I can't prove this canonically, but it also seems like the way Palpatine fights when he's confronted in his office, and that leads to him killing two out of three Jedi Masters in a couple of seconds. And number three was Mace Windu, so that hardly counts against Ataru.

Last edited:
A Jedi that wanted to learn Juyo (or Vaapad) had to earn the rank of Jedi Kight first, and then the Knight had to be accepted by one of the few instructors of that form...
We need to reach a higher social link with Mace. Vaapad is the "modern", semi-accepted form of Juyo, and it is precisely riding the edge between righteousness and fury without going over, as we got called out on just now. However, it's also an advanced form that we're not going to see until we're a Knight, and it's jealously guarded by Master Windu because he knows exactly how dangerous it is.

Part of me wants to pick Niman or Shii Cho just because their taglines seem like they'd be neat for this Ani to lean into, but we already voted to deprioritise lightsaber training compared to other aspects of being a Jedi, so picking Djem So here feels like it'd be easier for him to learn?
[X] Form V - Djem So

[] Form V - Djem So

The canon form is probably best?
Try to tiebreak?

[X] Form VI - Niman
Though, hmmmm....

Last edited:
[X] Form I - Shii-Cho
[X] Form II - Makashi

I'm honestly a little curious at how such a style would effect Anakin. Probably not by much, at least in an obvious sense, but should be interesting. It's nice to see our good 'ol buddy Palpatine willing to help. If he cares about a system on the edge of the galaxy to go through such lengths, then he truly will be a good Chancellor. What a nice man, our buddy Palpatine.

Last edited:
A note on lightsaber forms
For those who might not be familiar with the lightsaber forms, here's a clearer explanation of what they are and what they do:

• Form I, Shii-Cho—also known as the Determination Form or the Way of the Sarlacc—is essentially an upgraded, combat-ready version of the basic katas and drills every Jedi learns when they're first training with a lightsaber. The idea in choosing it would be to make up for lost time in Anakin's saber training by making sure that your fundamentals are as good as you can make them, at the cost of ruling out any personal flourishes to his style for the immediate future. No major canon character uses this form as their primary combat style, but it's likely that many of them have studied it at least to some extent.
  • Form II, Makashi—also known as the Contention Form or the Way of the Ysalamiri although I haven't actually decided whether I want to include ysalamiri in this story or not—is the most "pure" dueling style of the forms, intended solely for one-on-one lightsaber battles. It requires great precision from the wielder, but that means it also has an extremely demanding training regimen with no room for error. It could be a way for Anakin to bring some of his piloting skills (like his excellent combat awareness and precise split-second timing) to his duels…if you're willing to brave the Stress. Makashi has mostly fallen out of use by the time of the prequel trilogy because of the lack of lightsaber-wielding enemies, but it is famously used by Count Dooku, who goes on to teach it to his apprentice Asajj Ventress during the Clone Wars.
  • Form III, Soresu—also known as the Resilience Form or the Way of the Mynock—is the strongest defensive form, one that's focused entirely on making yourself impossible to harm and outlasting your opponent until they make a crucial mistake. On the one hand, wielding it requires great patience, a quality Anakin does not exactly possess in spades; but on the other hand, learning it teaches patience and could be valuable for giving him a new perspective if you accept the resulting Stress. Soresu is used by Obi-Wan starting at some point after The Phantom Menace, and by Revenge of the Sith he's considered the foremost master of the style in the galaxy.
  • Form IV, Ataru—also known as the Aggression Form or the Way of the Hawk-Bat—is highly kinetic and agile, relying on constant motion to confuse and throw off the opponent. Although intuitively it might seem to be right up Anakin's alley, it requires more finesse than it might appear to, because sloppy execution of a complex acrobatic move is obviously a recipe for disaster; that said, however, mastering it could teach Anakin new ways to think about movement, positioning, and space. It's used by Obi-Wan in The Phantom Menace before he switches to Soresu later on, but its most famous practitioners are Qui-Gon and Yoda.
  • Form V, Djem So—also known as the Perseverance Form or the Way of the Krayt—is the most direct and (lowercase-f) forceful of the forms, focused on breaking through the enemy's defenses to quickly end a fight. Obviously, Anakin's natural inclination is to study this form; he won't learn many broader lessons from it that he doesn't already know, but conversely it will be the easiest for him to pick up out of all of the forms, giving him more time for additional training or working on the Kalee relief plan. Not surprisingly, this is the form Anakin mastered in canon (and also taught to Ahsoka, although she technically uses a variant called Shien that's more calibrated for a battlefield than a duel).
  • Form VI, Niman—also known as the Moderation Form or the Way of the Rancor—is a unique generalist style that compensates for its lack of a single tactical strength with a greater focus on channeling the Force in combat. Given the name and its reputation as "the diplomat's form", as well as the fact that it might take a long time to produce the results he's looking for, it likely isn't Anakin's first inclination to study. All of that notwithstanding, however, it might be a dark-horse contender for the most favored form of a powerful wielder of the Force—as demonstrated by its infamous canon master, Darth Sidious.
  • Form VII, Juyo—also known as the Ferocity Form or the Way of the Vornskr—is a highly controversial form built upon raw aggression and pure offense. Because its practitioners often flirt with, or simply fall to, the dark side, its practice is restricted among the Jedi to only the most respected and experienced Jedi Masters; Anakin, naturally, will not be permitted to study it. It is used by Mace Windu (who invented an arguably even more dangerous variant of it known as Vaapad) and by Darth Maul, since the Sith have none of the Jedi's compunctions about aggression and violence.
So, to sum up: the forms all have their pros and cons. Some of them will be quite easy for Anakin to learn but won't expose him to other points of view; others will be very difficult but could broaden his horizons as a person; others still are in between. Hopefully with this information you can make a more informed decision about which style to choose.

That's what the description I looked up claimed - suppose we'll see when the QM posts. But I figure that while Form 2 is the "dueling form", it's constrained by the idea of a duel and the precise, conservative movements of that way of fighting.

Meanwhile, Ataru is flipping off a wall at 50 MPH while screeching like an animal (optional) and trying to cut your opponent's head off with a 720 degree strike. I imagine that as a counter to Form 2, and thus ideal for defeating a single skilled opponent.
From what I remember, Form 4 is really good at those huge bursts of energy and power but if the fight lasts too long then you're exhausted and therefore rather fucked if your opponent isn't dead or armless.

By contrast Form 2 is really energy efficient, it's part of why Dooku uses it, he's old.

To be frank my bigger problems with those two forms are their lackluster performance against blasters.

Edit: Ninjad by the QM.

Back