The Slave Who Makes Free: An Anakin Skywalker Quest

[X] You're better than this.

Ekreth didn't go on a campaign of extermination as soon as they could. They didn't call on Leia to slaughter depur whenever they showed their heads.
No. They focused on saving the people who needed saving and protecting the people who needed protecting. Depur is more than capable of killing themselves chasing phantoms in the desert on a quest for vengence.

I'd rather be like Ekreth than Depur.

Whacking Depur until they fuck off or agree to leave you alone saves everyone a lot more trouble in the long run

Sure, but continuing to chase Depur after they've fucked off does not.

Besides that, Grievous's statement that there is no such thing as an innocent Huk and he can therefore indiscriminately bomb the civilians without batting an eye is a hell of a dangerous sentiment
Like, really none? They're just one blank monolith of evil?
No differing cultures or views in a population of billions? No conscientious objectors, or marginalized groups within the Huk themselves?
The baby Huk just hatch straight out of the egg that way and there's ontologically no hope for anything but a war of extermination?

If they're a race of slavers, what about all of their slaves. Even if you grant that literally every single Huk is a monster that needs to be put down, what about every other race they've enslaved and victimized. How many of their innocents will you kill, in ghettos and city centers, when you could be freeing them?

Let´s not kid ourselves the whole "violence doesn't solve anything" only sounds great in the Miss America Contest, but in reality, violence is pretty effective at solving stuff, and history has shown us again and again, that the total brutalization of the enemy and the fear of retaliation are extremely efficient ways of preventing anyone from attacking you...

Yes. Because our history is definitely not rife with violence begetting more violence and creating cycles of resentment and hate that fuel yet more violence. Never happened. Not once. He who lives by the sword dies by old age, at peace, in their own bed./s

Violence, to a point and in very specific situations, can be good at preventing or reducing harm by forcibly stopping something. It is awful for protecting people in the long term or building anything even remotely like a better world and stable peace. Firing on the Huk cities may or may not doom the Huk (which may or may not entail dooming their elite), but it will certainly doom the Kaleeshi. Because here's the thing, making your self big and scary and dangerous doesn't get people to leave you alone, especially not when they're stronger than you. It gets them to view you as a threat that needs to be dealt with before you try being big, and scary, and dangerous in their general direction or towards something they actually care about.

Last edited:
I just want to take a moment to remind everyone that the canon outcome was that Grievous tried this or something very like it, and then the Republic and the Jedi came in to help the Yam'rii in an attempt to prevent a genocide and the Kaleesh were re-subjugated as a result.

I just want to take a moment to remind everyone that the canon outcome was that Grievous tried this or something very like it, and then the Republic and the Jedi came in to help the Yam'rii in an attempt to prevent a genocide and the Kaleesh were re-subjugated as a result.
Addendum: The Kaleesh invaded Huk and were fined and embargoed by the Republic which led to starvation. This standoff is already better than the canon outcome because he hasn't crossed the line yet.

Additional thought: if they're a race of slavers, keeping house slaves is not beneath them. Indiscriminate slaughter will kill the sort of people you would be justified in wanting to save.

Well IIRC in canon it was less "The Republic and the Jedi came in to help the Yam'rii in an attempt to prevent a genocide", and more The Trade Federation and several senators with trade deals with the Huk hide pressured the Republic to intervene in the war and ignore the Kaleeshi side of the story... Probably the Jedi believed that they were simply preventing genocide, but when the war started the Kaleeshi went to the Republic first to ask for help, and they were ignored because the deals with the Huk were too profitable... So no the Republic may have feigned ignorance but they knew exactly what they were doing.
Additional thought: if they're a race of slavers, keeping house slaves is not beneath them. Indiscriminate slaughter will kill the sort of people you would be justified in wanting to save.
IIRC the Kaleeshi slaves were mostly exported because they were too problematic to keep at home...

Well IIRC in canon it was less "The Republic and the Jedi came in to help the Yam'rii in an attempt to prevent a genocide", and more The Trade Federation and several senators with trade deals with the Huk hide pressured the Republic to intervene in the war and ignore the Kaleeshi side of the story... Probably the Jedi believed that they were simply preventing genocide, but when the war started the Kaleeshi went to the Republic first to ask for help, and they were ignored because the deals with the Huk were too profitable... So no the Republic may have feigned ignorance but they knew exactly what they were doing.

The Republic is rotten. This is not news.

We are not the Republic.

IIRC the Kaleeshi slaves were mostly exported because they were too problematic to keep at home...

There are more races than just the Kaleeshi.

Technically, as Jedi, are we not representatives of the Republic in situations such as these?
I'm not sure where I read this, but I think Jedi of Knight rank and above are actually automatically endowed with plenipotentiary power to negotiate as Republic ambassadors.

(And if that's not true in canon it is in this story, since the whole thing with Obi-Wan dropping everything to go to Huk doesn't work unless it's the case.)

We might represent them, but that doesn't mean we are them, nor does it mean we have to lower ourselves to their standards.
Honestly as a Jedi, we may have more power than some might realize in these sorts of situations. We're in a position to sort of decide what standards the Republic has, at least situationally. Which, frankly, sounds excellent for any fuck around and find out antics.

I'm not sure where I read this, but I think Jedi of Knight rank and above are actually automatically endowed with plenipotentiary power to negotiate as Republic ambassadors.

(And if that's not true in canon it is in this story, since the whole thing with Obi-Wan dropping everything to go to Huk doesn't work unless it's the case.)
I can't really trace its root point either, but that 100% feels like something the Jedi have the ability to do. Gotta love the Old Republic.

Galaxy Map
Last edited:
I just realized that you'd all probably benefit from having a map of the galaxy, so here is—as far as I'm aware—the most comprehensive and up-to-date canon version that exists:

You can also find a version that might be a bit more easily legible, but wouldn't embed properly on SV, here: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/s...-Background/revision/latest?cb=20220531001357

Huh. I don't think I've heard of the Deep Core before. What's that region like? Also, It's interesting how very biased both the marked routes and the regions of influence are. Everything heavily favors the right, is scrunched down on the left, and Corsuscant is nowhere near the center of the Republics ability to project power. I feel like something could be made of that, if it hasn't already, but I'm not sure what.

honestly what does anakin think will help stop Greivous? that would better inform my vote, i think

Huh. I don't think I've heard of the Deep Core before. What's that region like? Also, It's interesting how very biased both the marked routes and the regions of influence are. Everything heavily favors the right, is scrunched down on the left, and Corsuscant is nowhere near the center of the Republics ability to project power. I feel like something could be made of that, if it hasn't already, but I'm not sure what.
Well, canonically the Unknown Regions on the left are rich in black holes, exotic gravity wells, and hyperspace anomalies that make almost all FTL travel impossible. The Chiss barely manage it thanks to their deeply methodical nature and use of precognition.
The explanation is probably a mix of this and the fact that (at least in Legends) modern galactic civilization was founded in the aftermath of revolts against the Rakatan Infinite Empire, and the modern-day Unknown Regions were the core of that empire, where it was strongest and where the uprisings presumably would have reached last, if at all.

The Deep Core is an area that's similarly hard to reach because of hyperspace anomalies and the like, although as far as I'm aware it wasn't a Rakatan stronghold. Systems close to its border like Empress Teta tend to be Core Worlds in all but name; systems further in like Tython and Byss tend to be secret headquarters for various organizations or nexuses of the Force, or both.

And as for Coruscant, it's not in the exact center of the area where the Republic is strongest, but it's pretty close—the Republic's "heartland" is an arc running from Coruscant to Corellia, kind of like how a lot of America's main financial and political centers are all in a line between Washington, DC and Boston.

honestly what does anakin think will help stop Greivous? that would better inform my vote, i think
Anakin is not really thinking in terms of stopping Grievous right now. He's thinking about his own feelings and whether or not it's worth trying to rise above them.

Back