The Slave Who Makes Free: An Anakin Skywalker Quest

TBF, Anakin probably learned that from Obi-Wan. Kenobi also faked a surrender to stall out the Separatists in the 2008 Clone Wars movie.

the reasoning for putting that clause in the Geneva convention stand regardless of the universe. And I don't think "it stops being a war crime if the law hasn't been written yet" is a very healthy attitude to judging behavior in war.
I mean, I think trying to judge the characters of a different universe with our morals on war is kind of silly. But you do I guess. I don't see any of your points.

Why would "it makes the enemy less likely to accept a real surrender because they might assume it's fake" apply any less to Star Wars than it does to real life?
Do you want me to pull out the history in Star Wars from before even the clones wars that could point to it? I can, it is just a pain. Mainly because its from the back when the Sith Empire and Republic were at war.

Do you want me to pull out the history in Star Wars from before even the clones wars that could point to it? I can, it is just a pain. Mainly because its from the back when the Sith Empire and Republic were at war.
This sounds like it's going to be an in-universe justification (something happened in the history of the setting that made perfidy widely accepted) for an out-of-universe problem (the writers don't understand what perfidy is).

This sounds like it's going to be an in-universe justification (something happened in the history of the setting that made perfidy widely accepted) for an out-of-universe problem (the writers don't understand what perfidy is).
I mean if you want to that way fair enough. I guess I should shut up.

There is something called the Yavin Code, which appears to be a SW Geneva Convention equivalent, that is mentioned in one of the tcw episodes. The only think we only know about is that according to it prisoners have a right to a blindfold during an execution and that it isn´t being followed anymore and most people don´t even know what it consists of.

Do you mean something that doesn't exist in Star Wars? Can you not understand what I was talking about at all? Did you think I was talking about IRL war crimes?
It's explaining that Perfidy is a warcrime because "it makes people stop accepting surrenders and encourages the execution of prisoners and rejection of all offers to negotiate or seek terms."

Perfidy is the kind of thing that makes it impossible to end a war. That's... bad. Even in Star Wars, most wars don't end with the wholesale annihilation of one faction. Though the Clone Wars are something of an exception, so... I dunno, maybe it fits there.
It's not like the Republic would ever let droids surrender.

Perfidy is the kind of thing that makes it impossible to end a war. That's... bad. Even in Star Wars, most wars don't end with the wholesale annihilation of one faction. Though the Clone Wars are something of an exception, so... I dunno, maybe it fits there.
It's not like the Republic would ever let droids surrender.
Not really? The last big war war the Republic had ended the same way as clone wars. Which is the other faction no longer exists in any state at all.

Man, I made a lighthearted comment on Anakin's propensity for war crimes, and then it somehow evolves into a conversation/argument on the status of war crimes in Star Wars. Never change SV. :V

Last edited:
I wonder if Anakin committing war crimes more and more as the war goes on, has anything to do with his fall to the dark side? hmmm prob not

Alert: Phrasing
That's only because your quest is still relatively unknown/new enough that you haven't attracted the trolls... err, I mean, *gets out 'The Card Of Names', reads from it* The Adventurous Risk Takers That Disdains Proper Dramatic Construction Within Storytelling.

But, yeah, offer enough "brain dead" options, and the... "Risk Takers" will show up, eventually. I can only ask that you don't take the cheap way out regarding dramatic story telling. I know that not every author is SoulCake. But they've been able to consistently maintain properly written drama for nearly five years now. Surely it's not that difficult a task to do? The easiest way to maintain proper story telling... is to not offer mentally challenged options.

Yes, it does make it harder to write drama from how the background reacts to the MC, instead of getting cheap, easy, immediate consequences to substitute for dramatic scenery. But, narratively, it wouldn't break the suspension of disbelief.
phrasing Your phrasing here is being deliberately provocative for no apparent reason. There's no need for any of this name calling. I'm not going to infract you for this or really anything, but let it be known that this kind of posting is frankly not okay.

I actually think that the Republic's conduct during the Clone Wars could be a really interesting avenue of discussion, especially w/r/t the mass slave army. It's actually nuts how canon Anakin doesn't seem to have any problem with the government he's fighting to protect breeding a race of genetically mutilated (1/2 normal lifespan) and brainwashed slave-soldiers who will know nothing but war as they fight and die for their distant masters. Compared to that, the CIS's use of a droid army is positively humanitarian (not getting into the different levels of sentience ascribed to battle droids in the different SW properties). I imagine that this Anakin, one even more in touch with his roots as a slave, is going to have a massive moral dilemma, to put it mildly.

Also the quest has been really enjoyable QM, so thank you, excellent job!

I actually think that the Republic's conduct during the Clone Wars could be a really interesting avenue of discussion, especially w/r/t the mass slave army. It's actually nuts how canon Anakin doesn't seem to have any problem with the government he's fighting to protect breeding a race of genetically mutilated (1/2 normal lifespan) and brainwashed slave-soldiers who will know nothing but war as they fight and die for their distant masters. Compared to that, the CIS's use of a droid army is positively humanitarian (not getting into the different levels of sentience ascribed to battle droids in the different SW properties). I imagine that this Anakin, one even more in touch with his roots as a slave, is going to have a massive moral dilemma, to put it mildly.

Also the quest has been really enjoyable QM, so thank you, excellent job!
I think for Anakin it was as simple as the clones saying they weren't slaves and not wearing collars that was good enough for him. Plus the overall Jedi mind set that sith are bad and these are necessary evils necessary to win.

Was there a treaty on what conduct was ok during the clone wars? If there isn't an agreement technically there are no war crimes. Didn't Konobi do a false surrender at the beginning of the show?

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a feeling our Anakin, due to his background and our influence will have a much easier time expressing his dissatisfaction with the current state of the Order and Republic. The Clones are one thing, the general corruption is another, and the passivity of the Coruscant Order is probably going to be the final nail in the coffin. Hopefully he'll be able to jump ship sooner rather than later with a couple other like-minded individuals before it all comes crashing down in the Clone Wars.

Last edited:
There are only two things the order could have done in the clone wars. Either hop in early and defuse the situation or sit it out entirely.

Which will be impossible under current circumstances. The Order can only get legally involved IF the Republic asks them to get involved (with Palpatine as chancellor? Not likely unless it's favourable for him), and sitting it out entirely also isn't possible because of how tightly woven the Order is to the Republic. It's a very bad situation all around.

Which will be impossible under current circumstances. The Order can only get legally involved IF the Republic asks them to get involved (with Palpatine as chancellor? Not likely unless it's favourable for him), and sitting it out entirely also isn't possible because of how tightly woven the Order is to the Republic. It's a very bad situation all around.
They could have left but some like Windu are true believers. This it'd probably cause a schism. They shouldn't have agreed to be generals at least. Pull some of the core people for it.

Back