The Slave Who Makes Free: An Anakin Skywalker Quest

[X] Stay in the cockpit
-[hj] After all, he can't deflect anti-starship level firepower... just shoot him.

He can jump out of its way, sure, but that leaves him off-balance for Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, and the concussive force is something Force users don't handle well.

But that's not a listed option, and Maul does go on to do something somewhere else involving some witches, iirc...

[X] Stay in the cockpit.
See the bigger picture. Think before you act.

When the game is literally warning to not do something I'm not going to do it.

Oh boss, do we have an Omake Policy? Just want to know for later.
I'm not exactly sure what purpose an "omake policy" would serve, since they're meant for quests with more in-depth mechanics to encourage story engagement via providing mechanical bonuses. But the only real bonus I could provide here is reducing Stress, and I'm not going to do that because it would take the tension out of the game. That said, feel free to write anyway if this story inspires you—I may not be able to reward you, but I certainly won't stop you.

I'm not exactly sure what purpose an "omake policy" would serve, since they're meant for quests with more in-depth mechanics to encourage story engagement via providing mechanical bonuses. But the only real bonus I could provide here is reducing Stress, and I'm not going to do that because it would take the tension out of the game. That said, feel free to write anyway if this story inspires you—I may not be able to reward you, but I certainly won't stop you.

Omakes don't have to have mechanical advantages (though quest that do give them mysteriously tend to end up with a lot more of them). But establishing whether you'll canonize ones fitting your plans or not can still matter to people.

I'm very glad that the possibility of reducing stress via omake is a no go. I like the mechanic, and how its used so far has been clear and to the point. Having another 'safe' way to reduce stress not envisioned and accounted for would be honestly disappointing and, well, as you said; it'd take all the tension out of the game. Which would be a shame, because so far its been a pretty fun mechanic.

What's stopping Anakin from shooting Maul with the starfighter? I can't remember how well lightsabers can deflect starship-grade weaponry, but it would still blast him back.

That sounds like it has waaaayyy too many chances to fuck up something fierce. Sure, Anakin might hit Maul. But he could just as easily hit Qui-Gon, or Obi-Wan. Or the shooting gives Maul an opportunity to strike and kill one of them. Or he'll retaliate against Anakin and heavily wound or even kill him.

What's stopping Anakin from shooting Maul with the starfighter? I can't remember how well lightsabers can deflect starship-grade weaponry, but it would still blast him back.
Okay, first of all, the duel has already moved into the reactor room, so good luck getting the N1 in there and shooting him with heavy blasters and proton torpedoes without hitting Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon or any of the volatile plasma all around the place.

But second and most importantly: Star Wars is a setting that operates more on vibes and narrative than on cold, hard logic. Defeating a Force-wielding enemy isn't a matter of firepower, it's a matter of willpower—if Jedi or Sith could just get casually blasted away by vehicle weapons they wouldn't be Jedi and Sith. If you want to get the job done (and this goes not just for Maul but for Dooku and Palpatine himself, not to mention any other Force-wielders you might end up facing) you're gonna have to do it the hard, dramatic, cathartic way.

Omakes don't have to have mechanical advantages (though quest that do give them mysteriously tend to end up with a lot more of them). But establishing whether you'll canonize ones fitting your plans or not can still matter to people.
This is fair, and the possible canonicity of omakes is something I haven't really reached a conclusion on yet. I have some very specific plans for how certain events and character arcs will go, so while I do want to encourage people to get their own creativity flowing if that's something they want to do, I'm not sure I want to relinquish control over the narrative to that extent. I guess I'll say this: omakes that aren't from Anakin's perspective can be considered provisionally canon, but I reserve the right to override them later if it serves the needs of the story I'm trying to tell. (But I encourage any hypothetical omake writers not to take it personally if I end up doing that.)

Last edited:

Kirook already stated that vibes and narrative are more important than anything
But I'll further add that Star Wars is absolutely the kind of setting where a sufficiently powerful Force Wielder is a Dynasty Warrior style army killer that is entirely capable of handling artillery being thrown at them

View: https://youtu.be/cF3ocZu4cZo?t=53

When Yoda told Luke that size matters not he really meant it

Back