The Slave Who Makes Free: An Anakin Skywalker Quest

[X] ...on Naboo.
I will confess to being deeply worried about Anakin's mental state, but I'm also really worried about what going to Palpatine will do in the long run. I hope we don't drive Anakin to a mental breakdown, and I hope we never have to make friends with Palps.

But neither of those are guaranteed…

Honestly, we will need to talk with everyone to solve this issue. So why don't we discuss longer terms plans?

For example, I think we should talk with Padmé now, Palpatine later and finally with the Senate.

Talking with Padme now is winning, but she herself won't solve the problem. What will happen though, is start things in the Senate, because, as said before, it can tie Kalee and Naboo by showing how similar their situations are and this would be a way to threaten the power of the Senate.

After that, we talk with Palpatine, because the problem will only start to be solved with his help. Also, if I remember correctly, Palpatine is from Naboo too, so if we tie Kalee and Naboo this way, well, public opinion will easily turn against the IBC, and obviously Palpatine would use this masterfully in his favor, so the idea of helping us will be even more delicious to him.

Finally, we talk with the Senate, because now there's a movement on Padmé's side, and Palpatine will want to help us, so the usual bureaucracy of the Senate will probably be less of a problem. And if we are lucky to find some of the actually good people there, like Bail Organa, they will already know of us by that point and will want to talk with us too.

Of course, this is dependent on being able to choose to talk with Palpatine after talking with Padmé, but, well why wouldn't we?

EDIT: Also, we need to destress Anakin somehow. Too bad it seems every step we give towards that, we take two or three steps back.

Last edited:
In situations like this, where the only thing that's needed is a simple binary outcome (does the stress meter go up or not), it doesn't matter what the exact Pavlovian response is whether for or against. It only matters that the response happens when you want it to, and doesn't inherently oppose the result you're looking for, the latter of which can be easily secured with a bit of careful phrasing and attaching the right color to the right choice.

Huh? These votes aren't about a binary outcome and the movement of the stress meter definitely isn't the be-all/end-all of how things go. In fact, I'm pretty sure hitting max stress doesn't even guarantee failure, just an explosive loss of control. Depending on the context, that can be very bad, but that doesn't mean it has to be catastrophic or that it'll automatically push us to a "kill-the-women-and-children-too moment". I may be missing something, but a lot of your analysis seems to be off base, both in regards to what's happening in the quest and how we, as an audiance, are responding to it.

Honestly, we will need to talk with everyone to solve this issue. So why don't we discuss longer terms plans?

For example, I think we should talk with Padmé now, Palpatine later and finally with the Senate.

Talking with Padme now is winning, but she herself won't solve the problem. What will happen though, is start things in the Senate, because, as said before, it can tie Kalee and Naboo by showing how similar their situations are and this would be a way to threaten the power of the Senate.

After that, we talk with Palpatine, because the problem will only start to be solved with his help. Also, if I remember correctly, Palpatine is from Naboo too, so if we tie Kalee and Naboo this way, well, public opinion will easily turn against the IBC, and obviously Palpatine would use this masterfully in his favor, so the idea of helping us will be even more delicious to him.

Finally, we talk with the Senate, because now there's a movement on Padmé's side, and Palpatine will want to help us, so the usual bureaucracy of the Senate will probably be less of a problem. And if we are lucky to find some of the actually good people there, like Bail Organa, they will already know of us by that point and will want to talk with us too.

Of course, this is dependent on being able to choose to talk with Palpatine after talking with Padmé, but, well why wouldn't we?

EDIT: Also, we need to destress Anakin somehow. Too bad it seems every step we give towards that, we take two or three steps back.

That's part of what I was getting at with my own post. We'll almost certainly need to go to Pal for help with this, at some point, but that doesn't mean we have to do it now. I think we'll get a lot more out of it, and give him less control, if we're more strategic and intentional with how we approach him. While a lot of that reasoning is OOC, it also makes sense in character. The mans the chancellor of an entire galaxy; Anakin shouldn't want to bother him with every little problem, especially if he can be reasonably confident that someone else is already going to solve it. (Let's be realistic here, doesn't anyone seriously thing Yoda or Mace won't personally backhand this C&D into the void, if they really need to?)

Is hitting the third red box and then not emptying the meter before getting another point of stress enough for an automatic game over? I don't have a good idea of what those three checkpoints are like in terms of what burning it off would look like, and snapping at the Council in Part 1 maybe isn't the best indicator because Anakin was younger and couldn't do as much damage anyways. Well, he handled it better than I was expecting in that he didn't actually scream or have anything really tantrum-like in there.

But, for example, would the canonical Tusken massacre be equivalent to blowing off stress for the second or third checkpoint?

Last edited:
I've kind of gone back and forth on that but I'm increasingly settling on it being the third. It's hard to imagine child murder as anything less than the worst thing you can be tempted to do.
So we are 3 red text from child murder lovely.
This explains a lot, I suppose canon Anakin would have mechanically been just constantly dumping stress level 1-2 venting during the clone wars?
We are in a meta sense trying to avoid all the vader leitmotif's I suppose.

Eagerly awaiting Anakin dumping all his built-up Stress by challenging multiple Jedi he dislikes to lightsaber duels, and then using the Force to rotate them mid-air like a rotisserie chicken until they cry, vomit, and/or pass out.

If he can't use Force Lightning or Force Choke with Niman, I hope he resorts to spinning people head over heels to win.

So we are 3 red text from child murder lovely.
This explains a lot, I suppose canon Anakin would have mechanically been just constantly dumping stress level 1-2 venting during the clone wars?
We are in a meta sense trying to avoid all the vader leitmotif's I suppose.

No? We're two from the second level of Stress, where I'd advise we just blow up and face the consequences rather than allowing it to go further.

Vote closed
Scheduled vote count started by Kirook on Jul 10, 2024 at 3:44 PM, finished with 298 posts and 205 votes.

I'll admit, I am interested in seeing what's happened on Naboo since Anakin became a padawan. And it'll be nice to see Padme again.
Probably reconciliation with the Gungans, by episode 2 relations seem to have improved, that by tcw their willing to back Padme up on ganking grievous.
I am sure she will be quite happy to smack around the megacorps. Solving the Kaleesh issue might blunt some of the separatist support due to the republic being forced to respond. Mind I strongly suspect Sheev will just try to get the Huk into the federation instead they fit the profile of scary aliens that Sheev is trying to push.
Huh? These votes aren't about a binary outcome and the movement of the stress meter definitely isn't the be-all/end-all of how things go. In fact, I'm pretty sure hitting max stress doesn't even guarantee failure, just an explosive loss of control. Depending on the context, that can be very bad, but that doesn't mean it has to be catastrophic or that it'll automatically push us to a "kill-the-women-and-children-too moment". I may be missing something, but a lot of your analysis seems to be off base, both in regards to what's happening in the quest and how we, as an audiance, are responding to it.

That's part of what I was getting at with my own post. We'll almost certainly need to go to Pal for help with this, at some point, but that doesn't mean we have to do it now. I think we'll get a lot more out of it, and give him less control, if we're more strategic and intentional with how we approach him. While a lot of that reasoning is OOC, it also makes sense in character. The mans the chancellor of an entire galaxy; Anakin shouldn't want to bother him with every little problem, especially if he can be reasonably confident that someone else is already going to solve it. (Let's be realistic here, doesn't anyone seriously thing Yoda or Mace won't personally backhand this C&D into the void, if they really need to?)
I think the idea for a lot of posters is why go to Sheev for something he was going to do anyways.
Hmm, also this has given me a wonderful mental image.

(Yes I know its the banking clan but their future separatist buddies and the bankers are background characters besides good ol Damask, well that and I already finished the meme by the time I realized).

Last edited:
[X] …in the Supreme Chancellor's office.
[X] ...on Naboo.

I may be opposed to him, but damn to I enjoy watching Sheev at work lmao
Anakin doesn't quite know better yet.
But Padme is fun too

Edit: how the fuck did I miss the vote closing?

Last edited:
[ ] …in the Supreme Chancellor's office.
Palpatine's incisive policies can slash through this intricate knot.
Motherfucker probably put the Banking Clan up to this bullshit through at least one proxy. No, I don't have any evidence besides him being Sheev fucking Palpatine.

The stress meter means he's at risk of losing his shit in a way that alienates Padme, though. Palpatine'll probably try to take partial credit for fixing the mess, too.

[] …on Naboo.
Ah, I'm too late.

I think that I'm going to go against the grain and say that this might not actually be a Palpatine plot. Moreso a massive megacorp that already has a ton of entrenched power saw an opportunity to profit. They might be emboldened by knowing that they have the support of a Sith Lord now, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the whole thing is Palpatine's precise plot.

What opportunity to profit? The IBC's best-case scenario is status-quo-ante.
Its very actively malicious in a way that doesn't benefit them that screams Palpaplot. I do wonder how much the QM will have to escalate things to get us to turn to him and how much Sheev be miffed at why his schemes never seem to work a Sheev negaquest would be hilarious from that pov(why is Anakin rolling godlike lightside rolls???).

What opportunity to profit? The IBC's best-case scenario is status-quo-ante.
I'm not going to say whether or not this is Palpatine's hand at work, but the Banking Clan does have opportunities for profit here—in the sense that if this works, then a major check on rampant corporate exploitation (the Jedi Order's ability to unilaterally investigate, arbitrate, and even take militant action in such cases on behalf of the Republic) is effectively gone.

Back