The Slave Who Makes Free: An Anakin Skywalker Quest

[x] Voices, tell me more, one of you is proud to be a Jedi, and one of you is proud not to be one. I seek both of your wisdom as someone becoming a Jedi but not raised to become one.
[X] Meditate on who you are, and who you wish to be.
[X] Mediate on the question. What does it Truly mean to be a Jedi?
[X] Remember the stories of your mother and look back, back, and further still.
-[X]Tatooine was free once, before the first Depur came. You don't know who it was, you cannot know, but from the first Depur came the first slave, and from the first slave came Ekkreth. This is a story older than bone, older than blood, older than stone. Look, listen, hear the wind for it remembers where you can't. You are free now, freer than you've ever been, but that comes with a price. To be free is to be Ekkreth, to be her eyes, her hands, her mouth, her kindness, her teeth. You cannot kill the Depurs, not all of them. They are cruelty and malice, indulgence and apathy. So long as there are chains there are Depurs, but so long as there are Depurs there is Ekkreth.
-[X] Look, see the broken chains around you. The chain of Tatooine, who's last link you hold as a reminder. The chain of the Depur, broken with pain and steel, in the old way, in the only way. The chain of your fury, nebulous and unforged, but waiting for the fires to smelt it. You are free, freer than you've ever been, but Tatooine was free once. The chains are still there, as are the Depurs, and they hunger for you, for you are Ekkreth.
-[X] Listen, listen, for the Depurs want you deaf. Look deeply and without bias, for the Depurs want you blind. Be gentle and kind, for the Depurs want you cruel. Learn, for the Depurs want you stupid. Talk, for the Depur wants you silent. Love truely for the Depurs would twist even that into a chain.
-[X] No matter where you go, you will be of Ekkreth, for she was cunning and full of tricks. Not matter how you rise you will be of Ekkreth for she was there when you had nothing. No matter how you stumble you will be of Ekkreth for she loves you still.
-[X] Find your blade Sky-Walker
[X] Let go, let the Force wash away everything.

[X] Turn on your flashlight, and look for crystal. It's why you're here, is it not?

It's only a problem if your only enjoyment of the quest is trying to make optimal choices long term to "win". That can be a fun activity in quests with a lot of mechanics, but this is not one of those. This is a quest about following a damaged and brilliant young man through a formative part of his life and making choices moment to moment and dealing with the consequences of those choices.
I personally kinda like it, since it allows me to go for fuck we ball options without shooting MC in the foot too much.

Also I loved Anakin´s talk-no-juitsu with Grevious

Last edited:
[X] Look upon the infinite possibility of Anakin Skywalker and know the finite truth of your present self.

[X] Turn on your flashlight, and look for crystal. It's why you're here, is it not?

[X] Hear. Feel. Think.

[X] Reflect on the path you've taken, and the one that is to come.

-[X]Tatooine was free once, before the first Depur came. You don't know who it was, you cannot know, but from the first Depur came the first slave, and from the first slave came Ekkreth. This is a story older than bone, older than blood, older than stone. Look, listen, hear the wind for it remembers where you can't. You are free now, freer than you've ever been, but that comes with a price. To be free is to be Ekkreth, to be her eyes, her hands, her mouth, her kindness, her teeth. You cannot kill the Depurs, not all of them. They are cruelty and malice, indulgence and apathy. So long as there are chains there are Depurs, but so long as there are Depurs there is Ekkreth.
-[X] Look, see the broken chains around you. The chain of Tatooine, who's last link you hold as a reminder. The chain of the Depur, broken with pain and steel, in the old way, in the only way. The chain of your fury, nebulous and unforged, but waiting for the fires to smelt it. You are free, freer than you've ever been, but Tatooine was free once. The chains are still there, as are the Depurs, and they hunger for you, for you are Ekkreth.
-[X] Listen, listen, for the Depurs want you deaf. Look deeply and without bias, for the Depurs want you blind. Be gentle and kind, for the Depurs want you cruel. Learn, for the Depurs want you stupid. Talk, for the Depur wants you silent. Love truely for the Depurs would twist even that into a chain.
-[X] No matter where you go, you will be of Ekkreth, for she was cunning and full of tricks. Not matter how you rise you will be of Ekkreth for she was there when you had nothing. No matter how you stumble you will be of Ekkreth for she loves you still.

Adhoc vote count started by Andrensath on Mar 31, 2024 at 3:32 PM, finished with 126 posts and 86 votes.

-[X] Find your blade Sky-Walker.
    [X] You imagine a kinder, fairer world. Among the threads and voices in the darkness, see if you can find a path to it.
    [X] See yourself in Grievous' place. The steps that brought you here, the flames that drive you, the loss that defines you. The young Jedi opposing you. How did it come to this?
    [X] Look upon the infinite possibility of Anakin Skywalker and know the finite truth of your present self.
    [X] You mediate on droids, their sapience, and their connection to the Force
    [X] Look down and pluck a prismatic crystal from the path. You've found what you came for.
    -[x] Take the Fools Step into the darkness and return home.
    [x] Voices, tell me more, one of you is proud to be a Jedi, and one of you is proud not to be one. I seek both of your wisdom as someone becoming a Jedi but not raised to become one.
    [X] "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." That voice, those words...you are drawn to it for some reason. The voice is one you have never heard, and yet it is familiar. You have to know who spoke, and why.
    [X] imagine yourself leading a vast liberation armada across the outer rim. The galaxy yearns for change, and you will be its executor
    [x] [X] Remember the stories of your mother and look back, back, and further still. -[X]Tatooine was free once, before the first Depur came. You don't know who it was, you cannot know, but from the first Depur came the first slave, and from the first slave came Ekkreth. This is a story older than bone, older than blood, older than stone. Look, listen, hear the wind for it remembers where you can't. You are free now, freer than you've ever been, but that comes with a price. To be free is to be Ekkreth, to be her eyes, her hands, her mouth, her kindness, her teeth. You cannot kill the Depurs, not all of them. They are cruelty and malice, indulgence and apathy. So long as there are chains there are Depurs, but so long as there are Depurs there is Ekkreth. -[X] Look, see the broken chains around you. The chain of Tatooine, who's last link you hold as a reminder. The chain of the Depur, broken with pain and steel, in the old way, in the only way. The chain of your fury, nebulous and unforged, but waiting for the fires to smelt it. You are free, freer than you've ever been, but Tatooine was free once. The chains are still there, as are the Depurs, and they hunger for you, for you are Ekkreth. -[X] Listen, listen, for the Depurs want you deaf. Look deeply and without bias, for the Depurs want you blind. Be gentle and kind, for the Depurs want you cruel. Learn, for the Depurs want you stupid. Talk, for the Depur wants you silent. Love truely for the Depurs would twist even that into a chain. -[X] No matter where you go, you will be of Ekkreth, for she was cunning and full of tricks. Not matter how you rise you will be of Ekkreth for she was there when you had nothing. No matter how you stumble you will be of Ekkreth for she loves you still. -[X] Find your blade Sky-Walker.
    [X] Ask the force "what was lost, and what was forgotten?"
    [X] Hear. Feel. Think.
    [X] There's gotta be a crystal in here somewhere, right?
    [x] Meditate on how to change the systems of the republic for the better, for even the most gifted in the force are just one person.
    [x] you see a luminous road, that splits in multiple forks, some blue some red and a few yellow ones in between of them.
    [X] Read The Slave Who Makes Free: An Anakin Skywalker Quest, on Sufficient Velocity dot com.
    [X] SORD GUD

Somewhat against writing an entire fanfic as our write-in just on principle. Although saying that, grand fantasies about taking up our blade and wielding it against all the Depurs everywhere across the galaxy do feel very appropriate for this quest's version of Anakin. Honestly I suspect the temptation of violently fighting injustice is more likely to be what pulls Anakin to fall in this quest than Padmé, who I think SV questers would simply immediately vote to leave to die in a ditch at the first opportunity rather than risk gaining too many stress points.

Going to approval-vote for the Most Bland Option Neurologically Possible For Human Minds to Conceptualise:

And also:
[X] Reach out and lose yourself in the Force, and find yourself being drawn closer to the voices, to glimpses of the future.

EDIT: And also:
[X] "I am a Jedi, like my father before me." That voice, those words...you are drawn to it for some reason. The voice is one you have never heard, and yet it is familiar. You have to know who spoke, and why.

[X] See yourself in Grievous' place. The steps that brought you here, the flames that drive you, the loss that defines you. The young Jedi opposing you. How did it come to this?

Last edited:
Yeah, ~400 word write-ins are just annoying, imo

It would honesty be an extremely disturbing outcoming for Anakin to become a Muad'dib figure. Imagine a scion of a colonized world re-enacting imperialism upon his home because he's got visions of the future.

But if he becomes a messiah
(but not in the manner of Paul, because he can be better than that), it would still be incredibly funny to have a
Stilgar scene involving him.

"I'm not the messiah-"

"His humility is even more proof that he is the Messiah!"

[x] See yourself in Grievous' place. The steps that brought you here, the flames that drive you, the loss that defines you. The young Jedi opposing you. How did it come to this?

[x] See yourself in Grievous' place. The steps that brought you here, the flames that drive you, the loss that defines you. The young Jedi opposing you. How did it come to this?

Gonna approval vote for both of these two as well, actually, they're both good.

I personally like the long write-in the most because it's based on Anakin's native culture, which meshes with the idea of him staying honest with himself, true to himself.

-[X] Find your blade Sky-Walker.

This is a great take.

[x] Reflect on the path you've taken, and the one that is to come.
[x] Look upon the infinite possibility of Anakin Skywalker and know the finite truth of your present self.
[x] You imagine a kinder, fairer world. Among the threads and voices in the darkness, see if you can find a path to it.

Because this is amazing writing.

Know where another turned to a dark path, and why.

Last edited:

Back