Transposition, or: Ship Happens [Worm/Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio | Arpeggio of Blue Steel]

Quoted from Guardsman_Sparky's sig back in SB:

And "BANG" is not Relentless-y enough. The Queen of Escalation would not be pleased.

The Techno Queen [*KRAKATHOOM*] would be pleased by your choice, and then sue your ass for copyright infringement. Much better than "BANG", though.
She'd also sign you up for remedial English to correct your spelling.

She'd also sign you up for remedial English to correct your spelling.
Spelling? Where? I hate typos...

I see nothing misspelled, though.

My only doubts in my previous post were if I should have written "sue your ass off" instead of "sue your ass", and if it would have been better "Relentless-ish" instead of "Relentless-y".

Quoted from Guardsman_Sparky's sig back in SB:

And "BANG" is not Relentless-y enough. The Queen of Escalation would not be pleased.

The Techno Queen would be pleased by your choice, and then sue your ass for copyright infringement. Much better than "BANG", though.
I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED!

...yeah, bang is sufficient to describe something going boom, but it just doesn't have that je ne sais quoi of a sound effect that shakes your bones and makes your ears pop from miles away. Krakathoom is more like for thunder and lightning.

I did like the "vreeTHOOM" someone suggested earlier.

Honestly not a fan of sound effects in stories at all. They work in comics and poems and such but a story? I'd rather some one describe the effects than try to spell it out.

I'm willing to bet RL money that ensou is laughing her (possibly cute) ass off at our discussion about the proper sound effects for Relentless' naval rifles... in an omake.

I'm willing to bet RL money that ensou is laughing her (possibly cute) ass off at our discussion about the proper sound effects for Relentless' naval rifles... in an omake.
Especially as we got this handy manga were they spell out the sounds all the effects make. Just a suggestion but maybe, I don't know, we could use the sounds it says?

Just a thought.

Especially as we got this handy manga were they spell out the sounds all the effects make. Just a suggestion but maybe, I don't know, we could use the sounds it says?

Just a thought.
For those of us who haven't read the manga, maybe you could provide some examples of the onomonopeas? (Preferably in text; I often can't see images when people paste them.)

Just a thought.

For those of us who haven't read the manga, maybe you could provide some examples of the onomonopeas? (Preferably in text; I often can't see images when people paste them.)

The site I read on *coughpossiblyillegalcough* has untranslated Kanji for the sound effects, so I would be interested in the Canon sound.

Kirishima and Haruna opening photon cannon shots is "KRAKOW".
Takao SGC shot is "KAREENG"
Iona SGC charging is "KVEEE" and shot itself is "KA-BWEEEEEM"
Kirishima and Haruna combo SGC is "SKVEENG" charging sound at first stage and "KA-VEEEENNNG" just before shot.
Corrosive torpedo at Nagara hull is "KRRRKLL"-"PSHOO"-"BOOM"

Source: Seven Seas published official english translation.

Last edited:
Wanna bet an insightful that they're all in Japanese and untranslated?
No bet, but I'll give you the "insightful" anyway, as I thought much the same was likely when I was writing the post you quoted. I just was giving the benefit of a doubt, and figured that anybody who was making that criticism either had a Romanized translation or could provide one through their knowledge of the kana.

Kirishima and Haruna opening photon cannon shots is "KRAKOW".
Takao SGC shot is "KAREENG"
Iona SGC charging is "KVEEE" and shot itself is "KA-BWEEEEEM"
Kirishima and Haruna combo SGC is "SKVEENG" charging sound at first stage and "KA-VEEEENNNG" just before shot.
Corrosive torpedo at Nagara hull is "KRRRKLL"-"PSHOO"-"BOOM"

Source: Seven Seas published official english translation.
It's nice to have the arguments put to rest, but I gotta say those just sound stupid ('cept for the torpedo, that seems about right).

Stahor put a fair few just above this post but here's a few more.
Haruna and Kirishima's Photon Cannon firing at the Hakugei(the big human sub) is 'KROOM' and creates a 'CRASH' sound as it parts the sea(the shockwave displacing the water was bigger than the ships themselves) and a 'BWOOM' as it just missed them.
As they charge their first shots at the Yokosuka Wall the cannons make a 'BZZAAT' sound. The actual firing is 'CHOOM' with a simple 'BOOM' as they impact the wall.
The sound as some kind of Photon Cannon/Energy weapon(it's out of frame) shoots down a plane is 'SHWOOM'
The sound of Iona's Photon Cannons(or whatever the cannons on her deck is) impacting Haruna's and Kirishima's WFA is 'PSHEW'
Corrosive Torpedo against Haruna's and Kirishima's WFA is 'KRACKL' and a 'VISSSH' sound.

Not sure who it is that have done the translations for Chrunchroll though. On the other hand they're legit so the translations should be as well.
Wanna bet an insightful that they're all in Japanese and untranslated?
Crunchyroll translates every single one. From the simple 'BOOM' of a bunch of explosives to the 'Klat' of Kirishima's boot stepping on a railing. Plus all the varied noises Fog weapons do.

Last edited:
So for the next chapter (which is currently at 4.7k and growing) I'm going to include a PHO segment. And... it's an absolute pain in the ass. The tendency I have to flesh out characters and know their backgrounds and everything is sort of killing me, because there's too many people to do that with. So um, would you guys like to help out? (Also where the hell would such a thread even go? Should it just be in here? In a separate forum, like the RP one?)

So for the next chapter (which is currently at 4.7k and growing) I'm going to include a PHO segment. And... it's an absolute pain in the ass. The tendency I have to flesh out characters and know their backgrounds and everything is sort of killing me, because there's too many people to do that with. So um, would you guys like to help out? (Also where the hell would such a thread even go? Should it just be in here? In a separate forum, like the RP one?)
You could do it in a multi-person PM.

Also, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Yay! New chapter!

I'd be happy to help if you get an appropriate thread up. I'm not sure where it would go, though... RP would probably be the safe bet.

For what it's worth, for such threads in SB, they go in the quest section because people are role playing as characters reacting to the story events. Then, I author just picks and modifies whichever reactions they want back to the main story. So probably the quest section here also?

Edit:
And I just noticed SV has quests and role playing as separate forums whereas SB have them as one forum.... So I'm not sure either, but I'm guessing role playing.

Last edited:
Back