Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Even aside from the Moon and greater spirits, finding something pretty hardcore to mentor you can't be that rare in the outer sect. We know that giant spider matriarch was there, and the big elk in the woods. I always thought Ling Qi was lucky, but not unusually lucky for a very high talent commoner. The local higher end spirits have every reason to jump on that gravy train while the cultivator is young and malleable.

Yeah, I've been one of the defenders of Ji Rong's growth, but the main thing that annoys me about him is that he feels like we should have a relationship with him, but we don't. Instead he's rivals with like every boy we know, and if we do fight it's like "so what? Why should I care about you?"

... I wanna rival of our own :(

Ideally someone like Wen Ai, but I'm flexible :p
Well Ling Qi at the time had a very much so isolated circle of individuals she cared about, but I think she has made progress improving herself in that regard? Not enough to actually have a rival, and well Ji Rong would be a terrible one as he is much more combat orientated than Ling Qi.

The other thing is Ji Rong's one fairly well developed thing is being loyal to Sun Liling, and on a personal level which is questionably true of others on her side, which is a mode of devotion that Ling Qi might be inclined to respect. Except what we actually see him spend his time doing is follow around his sometimes tutor he doesn't even like... and basically nothing other than that. It's incongruous with the development he has had, though not contrary exactly, and is sharply limited in how it develops him further.

One cool way that an antagonist was treated last thread was when the Ma sisters mentioned a duel one of them had had with a girl who was clearly Hong Lin. Ling Qi had basically forgotten her at that point, but indirect interaction with characters through the experiences of others is a neat way to get information on people. The Inner Sect is stuffy, but it seems like Sun Liling's faction members should be bumping up against people we know, and we should be hearing about it from time to time at least. Hopefully there's opportunity for that moving forwards now that things are heating up.

My impression is that if we hadn't been picked up by the moon, we would have ended up with another spirit patron. By extension, I assume other high talent characters end up with spirit patrons giving them interesting quests. Or burying them in snow storms.
It's kind of been overdue for Ji Rong to stumble into some spirit bullshit, honestly.

Well Ling Qi at the time had a very much so isolated circle of individuals she cared about, but I think she has made progress improving herself in that regard? Not enough to actually have a rival, and well Ji Rong would be a terrible one as he is much more combat orientated than Ling Qi.
Yes, that's arguably one of the problems. We were allowed to hermit ourselves away and not engage with the world, and the minors system discouraged us getting to know more people.

I'm looking forward to us hanging out with more Emerald Seas nobles! Make friends! Make rivals! Throw shade at people! Get gossip from people that aren't Xiulan! Engage with the world!

Yes, that's arguably one of the problems. We were allowed to hermit ourselves away and not engage with the world, and the minors system discouraged us getting to know more people.

I'm looking forward to us hanging out with more Emerald Seas nobles! Make friends! Make rivals! Throw shade at people! Get gossip from people that aren't Xiulan! Engage with the world!

Sadly, our ability to deal with that shark pit is a bit limited.

Crimssssssssssson Floooooooooowing Aaaaaaaarrrrrr....

Alas, for I have been out-posted. They have forged their reply swiftly and surely, and hidden it in the 'Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?' tab, far from my sight. Such masterful skill, such immaculate deception. Their Domains are of stealth and speed, striking without mercy 'fore I had even comprehended the barest hint of the Dao of post-completion. Fricking ninjas, man.

Yeah, I've been one of the defenders of Ji Rong's growth, but the main thing that annoys me about him is that he feels like we should have a relationship with him, but we don't. Instead he's rivals with like every boy we know, and if we do fight it's like "so what? Why should I care about you?"

... I wanna rival of our own :(

Ideally someone like Wen Ai, but I'm flexible :p

I would love a rival like Wen Ai.

It's one kind of rival LQ can't overcome through spreadsheets and carefully managed cultivation schedules, without the issue of talent making it impossible to reasonably win.

LQ isn't really ready for that kind of conflict though. Also, our schedule is pretty tight, compounding matters.

Edit:
She learned how to have enemies from Bai "Salt the earth with their families bones" Meizhen, the adorable kind hearted fluffyikins version of a Bai.
Actually, she had a viscous attitude towards enemies from the beginning, based on her insight dreams.

Last edited:
I think a good rival would be a rival musician, or hell even another person trying to integrate into cais inner circle. Maybe a return of YR or other spy dude.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Yun on Jun 16, 2019 at 11:21 PM, finished with 20113 posts and 68 votes.

[X] Seek out Liao Zhu, there were things she wanted to get out of her mind, and she thought her senior brother might have useful insights.

Eh it wasn't entirely bad as it led to some interesting personality traits tbh, and well it was sorta inevitable from the desire to keep up with the Monsters of the year.

Now if only Ling Qi would learn to enjoy it. :p Also maybe take Xiulan up on her offer to sharpen Ling Qi's social knives.

[X] Seek out Liao Zhu, there were things she wanted to get out of her mind, and she thought her senior brother might have useful insights.

Sadly, our ability to deal with that shark pit is a bit limited.

This is why I'm so leery of social mechanics in game, much less magic social arts. They encourage players not to engage in any interaction that might be the least argumentative out of fear of not being 'good enough' mechanically.

I mean, Ling Qi didn't have social arts when she made any of her current friends. She didn't have social arts when she stood up to bullies or gained mentors.

This is why I'm so leery of social mechanics in game, much less magic social arts. They encourage players not to engage in any interaction that might be the least argumentative out of fear of not being 'good enough' mechanically.

I mean, Ling Qi didn't have social arts when she made any of her current friends. She didn't have social arts when she stood up to bullies or gained mentors.

And then she wandered into Kung Fu politics.

It's certainly sad, but kinda inevitable in this world.

Back