Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[X] Plan bountiful efficiency

The point of having half our income unspent (yet) is to have more money left over for emegencies or investments.

[X] More Drugs Is Good Drugs

We have 800 in cash, this is more than enough to cover whatever emergency that appears. If we need money for investments, we can just spend less next month to recover (even tho there is no need).

Adhoc vote count started by barty on Sep 25, 2024 at 10:53 AM, finished with 96 posts and 18 votes.

Give me an interesting spending opportunity worth saving for and I will gladly argue the statistical superiority of using 5d4 (Third of the Price for Half the Result). However, with none in sight and 800GSS in the bank:

[X] Plan bountiful efficiency

I want to be somewhat prudent to leave more room for investments.
This said, going all out is very tempting, so I wouldn't be disappointed if plan "More" wins.

Last edited:
There's the strong implication we got that investing in things other than drugs will get us more money in the future, and we are leaving ourselves exposed by not having diversified income streams.

She tilted her head, considering that… It was true wasn't it. The Imperial house needed to maintain connections with every duke, their own counts in the Celestial peaks, and even amongst their own branches. Marrying out, marrying in…

She sighed, she'd not thought she would ever feel pity for royalty. She resolved to bury that feeling well and deep. She doubted it would be appreciated. "Well my congratulations. I assume I should keep this to myself?"
I kinda feel bad for the hypothetical Future Mr. Cai Renxiang too, though not because of the general emotional downsides of a political marriage. No, I feel bad because depending on why he got selected and how much he knows about his fiancée and the situation in the Emerald Seas, he might be under the impression that he's being sent to his doom.

Like imagine: you are being sent off to form an alliance to ensure the loyalties of a clan whose living founder came to power by violently overthrowing her previous overlords. Your intended has a personal and friendly relationship with the soon-to-be heir to the acting ruler of the Bai, who just so happens to be the daughter of a woman who your great-grandmother/great-aunt conspired to frame and had executed. For the near future, the Emerald Seas where you're going to live now is going to be actively at war. And he wouldn't even know about the whole "plan to have Renxiang overthrow Shenhua, whether by peace or war" angle. He will not be prepared for the level of ACTION BUREAUCRACY his life is going to involve.

The more I consider the possible permutations of this guy, the more excited I am to meet them. Will he be dangerously ambitious, picked by Shenhua to push Renxiang in a more REVOLUTIONARY direction? Is he going to be indifferent bureaucrat/architect like Ren Ren's dad, acknowledging and assisting with her intentions to non-violently force Shenhua to abdicate? Will he basically be a flat-out spy for the throne, and every action we take going forward will have to take him into account? Perhaps a political exile, with few remaining connections back home and plenty of enemies willing to chase him all the way to the border provinces? Maybe he'll be a dyed in wool Peakaboo how hates that Renxiang solidified he position by dealing with foreigners, hates that her right hand is dating a Spirit-Blooded, hates that her left hand has like twelve spirits who she treats like family, and overall resents being here? Or maybe Yrs will make him just Some Dude and Ling Qi will never actually talk to him?!

I can't wait to find out!

I kinda feel bad for the hypothetical Future Mr. Cai Renxiang too, though not because of the general emotional downsides of a political marriage. No, I feel bad because depending on why he got selected and how much he knows about his fiancée and the situation in the Emerald Seas, he might be under the impression that he's being sent to his doom.

Do note that it also could be a Ms Cai Renxiang. The Imperial Conservatives' only objection to gay marriage recently went out the window.

Also, worst case scenario, whoever the fiancee is is a descendant of that prince a certain Bai Meilin was accused of killing. That would make for very awkward family dinners.

Do note that it also could be a Ms Cai Renxiang. The Imperial Conservatives' only objection to gay marriage recently went out the window.
I did consider that, but since (1 said Princess would need to be in the Fourth Realm, more powerful than Renxiang and thus less likely to be sent away to secure an alliance, for the union to guarantee to produce heirs, and (2 the objection went out the window very recently, so I doubt there has been time to reorganize the imperial line up of marriage candidates to account for the possibility of gay babies, I think it's most likely that they're going to go with what they know works. Not ruling out the possibility, and it would be the same to Renxiang either way, but I don't think a wife is likely.

Ah, happy times are back! I shall express my feelings with a haiku:

Pills flow like water.
With massive ducal backing;
Consume drugs like fire.

Snorting lines of stones.
For fast drug-fueled advance;
Funds must grow like trees.

The secret of Clans,
'twas inside you all along:
The Great Dao of Drugs.

I did consider that, but since (1 said Princess would need to be in the Fourth Realm, more powerful than Renxiang and thus less likely to be sent away to secure an alliance, for the union to guarantee to produce heirs, and (2 the objection went out the window very recently, so I doubt there has been time to reorganize the imperial line up of marriage candidates to account for the possibility of gay babies, I think it's most likely that they're going to go with what they know works. Not ruling out the possibility, and it would be the same to Renxiang either way, but I don't think a wife is likely.
Depends on the goals of the marriage, IMO. Is it just to tie the Emerald Seas more closely to the Throne, or also to show support for Shenhua? Because choosing a woman would be a massive show of support for Shenhua.

As others have said, the combination of 800GSS in the coffers and an imminent war approaching makes going all-in on drugs the reasonable choice.
We need to adjust the next months spending based on the roll's results anyway. If we get lucky and land a 40+ we can buy fewer/cheaper pills next month. If we are unlucky and end up at 10-, then we would be forced to go all-in on pills again.

In any case, the difference between Good Drugs and Bountiful Efficiency is a measly 14GSS. I very much doubt we are going to invest over 800GSS in a single month that having 14GSS more would make or break an investment opportunity.

We still don't know anything about how the investment options are going to be balanced: how much they cost on average, how long they take to produce a net benefit, if there will be rolls involved and so on.
As Renxiang said, Xiangmen is the perfect place to look for new ventures (a no one is going to try to straight-up rip off the Cai heir's left hand).
So we'll be presented with different options, and then we can learn how much wealth we need reserved for emergencies and sudden investment opportunities; so we can estimate how much we can spend on drugs.

Back