Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Mmm, dammit. Pity Imperturbable Peak isn't a counter, while Tranquil Rebuke only works on us and we've already been dispelled.

If we could successfully counter its spiritual attack, then it might discourage it from using it and give us more safety.
I mean, Imperturbable Peak could make it harder for the Antlion to get the dispell back on Li Suyin given that it also seems to help with spiritual defense for each debuff dispelled.

what about the impending rock falls suyin dies?
Mmm, I think there are several things to note there:
  • Panicking doesn't help. Also I feel yrsillar is unlikely to just kill off Suyin like that.
  • If a cave-in happens we have limited options as we're not an earth cultivator. All we can really do is try to make sure it doesn't get to that point.
  • Things we can do:
    • If Suyin got some distance and supported us from afar, it would probably be better for her since she can't turn insubstantial and teleport. TRU would probably help there. Keeping its attention on us up close would also probably help in order to make sure it doesn't just move. That being said, that could leave her more vulnerable to being jumped by other gribblies
    • Kill it fast before the cave weakens too much
    • Try not discourage further use of gravity field? Might be worth throwing a counter at it if it tries to recast on us as a success would inflict pain and could discourage. Flying over it to avoid giving it a chance to hit us physically might be counterproductive as that feels like that kind of thing that would push it to double down on gravity to try to drag us down. I would suggest we might be better off leaning on our "not-giving-a-shit-about-terrain" to dance around it on the ground with GCD. Make it focus on physical.

Mmm, I think there are several things to note there:
  • Panicking doesn't help. Also I feel yrsillar is unlikely to just kill off Suyin like that.
  • If a cave-in happens we have limited options as we're not an earth cultivator. All we can really do is try to make sure it doesn't get to that point.
  • Things we can do:
    • If Suyin got some distance and supported us from afar, it would probably be better for her since she can't turn insubstantial and teleport. TRU would probably help there. Keeping its attention on us up close would also probably help in order to make sure it doesn't just move. That being said, that could leave her more vulnerable to being jumped by other gribblies
    • Kill it fast before the cave weakens too much
    • Try not discourage further use of gravity field? Might be worth throwing a counter at it if it tries to recast on us as a success would inflict pain and could discourage. Flying over it to avoid giving it a chance to hit us physically might be counterproductive as that feels like that kind of thing that would push it to double down on gravity to try to drag us down. I would suggest we might be better off leaning on our "not-giving-a-shit-about-terrain" to dance around it on the ground with GCD. Make it focus on physical.
just like the Qi card, do we have any teleport consumables still from last thread?

We could setup either

Deepwood Vitality: C
Duration: Immediate
The user channels their qi into the earth, spreading like a great tangle of roots to link with up to ten allies. The vital qi armors each fortifies each cultivator affected against a single attack, shattering if it is great enough but leaving the person beneath unharmed. The fortifying qi also attempts to dispel the lowest ranked debuff affecting the targets. Each ally beyond the first increases the cost of the technique by 3.

or

Hundred Ring Armament: C
Duration: Short
Diffusing heavy wood qi through flesh and muscle the user armors themselves and their allies with the iron bark of primeval forests. Granting the user the resilience of a centennial tree, they may shrug off lesser attacks from bladed or piercing weapons, and endure even powerful ones. This effect may be extended to as many as five allies, increasing the cost by 5 for each one.

Hundred Ring lasts longer, so it seems like an ok option to me.

And Suyin is a cultivator, so she should be able to survive a few mundane rocks falling at her (we arent on the top floor, so the amount of rock that can fall isnt as bad as it could be). But her getting seriously iniured could still mean that the adventure ends here and Ling Qi would blame herself for not protecting Suyin better

So, something interesting to me is that there seems to be a connection between this chasm and the Weilu Tomb. Just look at the Weilu tomb we ransacked and all the fungal creatures protecting it and then look at this adventure with tremendous fungal growths and fungal creatures moving about as well.

Probably a simple coincidence, but an interesting one.

Another theory emerges! Gnawing ones are weilu who hid themselves away! They were trying to be even more isolated then their above ground brethren!

A possible alternative:

[x]Get in close, keep the creatures attention focused wholly on you,

-[x] Reinforce Suyin and yourself with Vital Qi and attempt to free her movements as you close in and make yourself the main target. Try to stay close and incite it to focus on physical attacks instead of its gravitational fields in order to reduce the risk of cave-in, dancing around it as an annoying shadow. Avoid the use of flight. Offensively, simply attempt to destroy it quickly with our Frozen Seranade, though be prepared to unleash Winter's End if necessary to manage smaller beasts.

Possibly kinda risky though given that our dodge isn't greatly higher than its hit. We are in darkness, so GCD should be working at full power, but the Antlion doesn't have bad accuracy and does have higher penetration than our armor. This could result in significant injuries to us.

Edit: That being said, we do have Deepwood so we should be able to just no-sell anything that actually looks like it will hit us.

Last edited:
Is there any reason we have to engage with this? It doesn't seem like it's going anywhere fast - it's a buried ambush predator - and if we can just get around it and shake off its gravity effects and such, it can't really reach us. Could we use some Forgotten Vale tricks to keep it from targetting us and head onwards?

Our basic music attacks have higher damage than Luminescent Star?

Hmm, given the difference in skill levels there, I can see it, even if it does feel like an undermining of "Art supremacy".

~~~
Mmmm, yeah, definitely worried about that ceiling. Also feel like, character-wise if nothing else, we should be trying to prioritise protecting Suyin.

TRU is a bit of a question here, yeah. It would be really useful in this fight I think, but at the same time does slow down our burst.
Well, as mentioned, DWV cancels out the debuff on Suyin and gives her a one-hit tanking, which means she will hopefully not be in danger from ceiling collapse.
A possible alternative:

[]Get in close, keep the creatures attention focused wholly on you,

-[] Reinforce Suyin and yourself with Vital Qi and attempt to free her movements as you close in and make yourself the main target. Try to stay close and incite it to focus on physical attacks instead of its gravitational fields in order to reduce the risk of cave-in, dancing around it as an annoying shadow. Avoid the use of flight. Offensively, simply attempt to destroy it quickly with our Frozen Seranade, though be prepared to unleash Winter's End if necessary to manage smaller beasts.

Possibly kinda risky though given that our dodge isn't greatly higher than its hit. We are in darkness, so GCD should be working at full power, but the Antlion doesn't have bad accuracy and does have higher penetration than our armor. This could result in significant injuries to us.

Edit: That being said, we do have Deepwood so we should be able to just no-sell anything that actually looks like it will hit us.
It being in darkness, we have base B3 dodge to its C20. This + GCD + DWV means that we should both be rarely hit but also be able to not be hurt when we do get hurt, I think. Also your plan is more or less mine :(

Is there any reason we have to engage with this? It doesn't seem like it's going anywhere fast - it's a buried ambush predator - and if we can just get around it and shake off its gravity effects and such, it can't really reach us. Could we use some Forgotten Vale tricks to keep it from targetting us and head onwards?
There are a couple reasons that I see. The first is that it is generally a poor idea to leave an opponent behind you without dealing with it. We could very well have to move back through this area and have to deal with it again, but this time weakened by our fights on lower levels.

The second reason is for reagents and materials. This is probably the first 3rd realm beast that Li Suyin has had easy access to during her adventures down here, and the materials and core it has could prove extremely beneficial in her efforts to develop and improve upon the medicines and techniques based around these reagents.

On another note, it appears that Li Suyin and Ling Qi are close to the lip of the 20m wide and 30m deep pit.
Near the lip of a twenty meter wide sinkhole, with the enemy thirty meters down at the bottom. Ling Qi is adjacent to Li Suyin, Li Suyin's guardians are ten meters further down the hole.
Simply having her move out of the pit may help reduce her risk to any cave in, and we can use "One with Shadow" to pretty much dart between the smallest of cracks to escape being trapped in the cave in.

Looking at our positioning makes me think that any potential cave-in will be less dangerous than I feared. Which is good.

Well, as mentioned, DWV cancels out the debuff on Suyin and gives her a one-hit tanking, which means she will hopefully not be in danger from ceiling collapse.
If we use it as the ceiling collapses, yes, it could stop *a* rock falling on her from hurting her.

It isn't a long term buff though, and the ceiling isn't falling at the moment. Also isn't useful against flurries, which a cave-in kinda is.

~~
Some other possible additions:
-[] If it attempts to recast its gravity field on us have Sixiang hold back to let us attempt to punish it with Tranquil Rebuke in an effort to discourage its use

Possibly trying to be too clever there, and might be dangerous to us if we're close to it.

-[] Tell Suyin to pull back and support us from a distance to make it less likely she gets caught in a cave-in. She should keep her big puppets with her in case she gets jumped by something else.

Does open up a bit of a risk of Suyin getting jumped by something else while we're busy there...

Last edited:
If we use it as the ceiling collapses, yes, it could stop *a* rock falling on her from hurting her.

It isn't a long term buff though, and the ceiling isn't falling at the moment. Also isn't useful against flurries, which a cave-in kinda is.
If it's a flurry I don't think it's a big problem as Suyin should be able to tank that herself. The real danger to me is if it's a "avalanche". Iirc Ling Qi herself had no problems surviving cave in back in late yellow, too, even if she needed SCS to get out.

@yrsillar how dangerous are cave ins? Given we survived a few from searching Yan Renshu's bases he rigged to explode, my impression is they are dangerous but not completely overwhelming for a yellow?
-[] Tell Suyin to pull back and support us from a distance to make it less likely she gets caught in a cave-in. She should keep her big puppets with her in case she gets jumped by something else.

Does open up a bit of a risk of Suyin getting jumped by something else while we're busy there...
Getting her to pull back is bad both because we can't protect her and because it will cause issue of social nature, I think.

Last edited:
[X]Get in close, keep the creatures attention focused wholly on you,
-[X] Reinforce Suyin and yourself with Vital Qi and attempt to dispel what ails her as you close in and make yourself the main target. The end of the spring will herald the end of its spiritual defences and allow yourself to blast all the monsters at once if need be, though a more targeted caress against the main threat is preferred. Do not be afraid of flying, though our mobility should be more than up to the task without.

Wow, this thing would probably murder Suyin.

I have to disagree.

That thing would DEFINITELY murder Suyin.

She might have fallen to the Alpha Strike if we weren't there, I don't know how good of an escape talisman she's packing or how deep we are.
Adhoc vote count started by OneArmedYeti on Feb 7, 2019 at 7:24 PM, finished with 74 posts and 14 votes.

• [X]Get in close, keep the creatures attention focused wholly on you,
    -[X] It's threat comes from the ability to summon forth the pull of the Earth through it's shrill cry, but you know that it is mere sound. Quickly secure Li Suyin and descend into the pit above the beast's gaping maw while flying and raising your own defenses, then use the Spring's End Aria to freeze and mutilate the organ and as much of the earth around you as you can reach. Whether it can scream through frozen and shattered tongue and vocal chords or not, its a stationary target and thus an all-too-perfect victim. Ensure that it stays that way, using Hoarfrost Caress and Winter's End Cadenza to further stop it from being able to fight back or escape.
    -[X] Reinforce Suyin and yourself with Vital Qi and attempt to dispel what ails her as you close in and make yourself the main target. The end of the spring will herald the end of its spiritual defences and allow yourself to blast all the monsters at once if need be, though a more targeted caress against the main threat is preferred. Do not be afraid of flying, though our mobility should be more than up to the task without.
    [X] KIll it as quickly as you can, the straining ceiling worries you,
    -[X] Use TRF to shore up Li Suyin, then proceed to kill the Antlion dead with FSS. Fly as needed, but only get close if it tries to get at Suyin somehow, stay at a distance otherwise.
    -[x] Reinforce Suyin and yourself with Vital Qi and attempt to free her movements as you close in and make yourself the main target. Try to stay close and incite it to focus on physical attacks instead of its gravitational fields in order to reduce the risk of cave-in, dancing around it as an annoying shadow. Avoid the use of flight. Offensively, simply attempt to destroy it quickly with our Frozen Seranade, though be prepared to unleash Winter's End if necessary to manage smaller beasts.

Adhoc vote count started by OneArmedYeti on Feb 7, 2019 at 7:24 PM, finished with 74 posts and 14 votes.

• [X]Get in close, keep the creatures attention focused wholly on you,
    -[X] It's threat comes from the ability to summon forth the pull of the Earth through it's shrill cry, but you know that it is mere sound. Quickly secure Li Suyin and descend into the pit above the beast's gaping maw while flying and raising your own defenses, then use the Spring's End Aria to freeze and mutilate the organ and as much of the earth around you as you can reach. Whether it can scream through frozen and shattered tongue and vocal chords or not, its a stationary target and thus an all-too-perfect victim. Ensure that it stays that way, using Hoarfrost Caress and Winter's End Cadenza to further stop it from being able to fight back or escape.
    [X] KIll it as quickly as you can, the straining ceiling worries you,
    -[X] Use TRF to shore up Li Suyin, then proceed to kill the Antlion dead with FSS. Fly as needed, but only get close if it tries to get at Suyin somehow, stay at a distance otherwise.

Back