Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
[X] Ling Qingge: Your new household is arriving from Tonghou, perhaps you should put in an appearance and see how your Mother is handling things?

It's important that we know our household, and that they know us. We're going to be tied together for the foreseeable future.
I wont shed any tears if turtle boy wins though.

How else do you read "For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor"?

And yeah, you could argue that events happen on Schrodinger's timeline, but from that point of view Li Suyin's expedition isn't ready any more than Xuan Shi's temple dive.
Xuan Shi *hasn't asked us yet*. The favor has not been set up at all in the narrative. It can be asked whenever. We asked yrsillar about this back during the first social vote.

Suyin's expedition however was set up and agreed to back at the start of the year. Leaving it off for ages would be weird, and, frankly, can only imply awkward things about how much Ling Qi cares about her friends.

Yes you could say that the Sect is for some reason being suuuppppeerrr slow with the paperwork, but you'd expect them to be done by now.

The timeline Suyin gave for us was that she'd be getting her first batch of tools sorted out last month. This month thus makes perfect sense as the time to do it, with the paperwork signed off and her needing to get more materials.

[x] Li Suyin: The proper paperwork is done. You can do the expedition any time. Who knows what you might find, deep below the earth.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by notanautomaton on Feb 4, 2019 at 2:42 PM, finished with 79 posts and 60 votes.

[X] Li Suyin: The proper paperwork is done. You can do the expedition any time. Who knows what you might find, deep below the earth.

My One True Husbando has reappeared to my delight and shock! I'm so goddamn pleased.

Really tempted to do Mom's quest, but once again turtle man is schrodingers favor, and also Suyin hasn't been seen for a while~

[X] Li Suyin: The proper paperwork is done. You can do the expedition any time. Who knows what you might find, deep below the earth.

[X] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

i found a nice quote from turn 1:

"Good for you Li Suyin," it sounded like she was going to have a good foundation built before anyone else in the area could try horning in on her discovery. "Do you think you could get better materials further in?"

Li Suyin blinked. "I suppose, but…" she trailed off, and understanding lit in her eyes. "Would you?"

"I'm not sure when I'll have some time, but it sounds like an adventure," Ling Qi laughed. "Don't you think Sixiang?" Besides, she still felt a little uneasy about an open cave under that sinkhole.

"You could probably get a poem or two out of it, maybe a song," the spirit mused.

Li Suyin bowed her head. "Thank you very much. I still have to wait for my dispensation to process among other things, but I will look forward to your aid."

"None of that, Li Suyin. We're friends aren't we?" Ling Qi replied cheerfully.

Xuan Shi is, tbh, actually the most nonsensical option to do this month.

Both Suyin and Mother have been set up in text already in a way that puts them on a schedule. Us putting them off has actual character implications. Xuan Shi otoh can't be put off in character because he hasn't happened yet - and he did say that he'd carefully consider our favor, so it taking a while would hardly be unsurprising.

I'm going to vote for this one for one simple reason. I prefer Li Suyin to Xuan Shi. I have confidence in Ling Qi's mother's ability to manage the household, and I would rather give the servants some time to settle down and get acclimated to their new roles and responsibilities before we show up.

Also, I feel that I would enjoy the conversation between Li Suyin and Ling Qi as they keep descending deeper and deeper into the earth. Also, the sooner Li Suyin gets her fancy materials, the sooner she can crank out even better and cooler stuff, which should really help her in challenges. Don't stay stagnant Li Suyin! Rise above your peers on a chair hoisted by the bones of your enemies!

1) Xuan Shi's favor exists in meta-time. Yrs before said that he would call it in whenever we voted it, it's not like we're ignoring him.
2) This is Li Suyin's primary project and not getting the ingredients is causing a serious roadblock to her every month of delay.
Why do people think that Xuan Shi's favor exists in meta-time, but LI Suying's expedition doesn't?

Xuan Shi *hasn't asked us yet*. The favor has not been set up at all in the narrative. It can be asked whenever. We asked yrsillar about this back during the first social vote.

Suyin's expedition however was set up and agreed to back at the start of the year.
The expedition has a specific time set for it? All I remember is that it was agreed that there would be another expedition at some point, not that it is happening now.

Yes you could say that the Sect is for some reason being suuuppppeerrr slow with the paperwork, but you'd expect them to be done by now.

The timeline Suyin gave for us was that she'd be getting her first batch of tools sorted out last month. This month thus makes perfect sense as the time to do it, with the paperwork signed off and her needing to get more materials.
I mean, this sounds like you are saying "yes, we have author-fiat that events happen in meta-time, but it just makes more sense for this event to be happening in calendar time!"

The expedition has a specific time set for it? All I remember is that it was agreed that there would be another expedition at some point, not that it is happening now.
Yes, it was agreed that there would be an expedition two months ago, and we just needed to wait for the paperwork to be done.

Everything is in quantum time to a degree, but this must logically be constrained by what is set up in text. This is why Sixiang is just happening this turn without any vote from us because it wouldn't make sense for them to be delayed at all.

Edit:
Similarly, Mother sent for the servants back in Month 1. Given that we know how long transport etc. takes, this means that they will be arriving this month. They are definitely on calendar time.

Last edited:
[jk] Forget adventure, cultivate in your room.

Let's not let this drag on any longer than it has. There's no reasonable way the Sect is sitting on their hands with the paperwork, Li Suyin's research relies on these materials, and we already outright committed to it. We don't have the precise arts I'd like to, I think, but pfft that's just not going to reliably happen for any event, realistically, and that's fine.

Poking around in the tunnel with Harmony equipped would be interesting though. How do those creatures resonate with the world's wind-ing Music threads, hmm?

Reminder of 2 things:
  • Social votes are Meta unless noted otherwise; no favors have been called, mom's guests haven't arrived etc.
  • We are still far from settled over the Bloody Moon dream, so we should focus on addressing the question of what LQ actually wants.
    • The consensus seemed to be at the time was that we focus on our closest friends, which means Suyin because this is the SL3>4 action vote, on par in import with Zeqing's looming trial and which would put her on equal footing with Zhengui and Meizhen.
    • Sixiang was uncertain at the time but updates later showed them to be even more important, but yrs is too nice and basically said this in discord:
      sixiang will be an addition, not a slot lock
      Hence: Suyin.

Xuan Shi will be more fun when we don't suck at perception and with Zhengui along for banter, and mom isn't someone we need to micromanage, especially when we should focus on settling Ling Qi's mental state first.

[X] Xuan Shi: For once, the odd boy has called in your offered favor. He wishes for your aid in penetrating the interior of an odd little temple full of traps and puzzles.

We owe him.

Why do people think that Xuan Shi's favor exists in meta-time, but LI Suying's expedition doesn't?

I mean, this sounds like you are saying "yes, we have author-fiat that events happen in meta-time, but it just makes more sense for this event to be happening in calendar time!"
Basically, it's the difference between an event that has had no instory presence happening in meta time (because there has been nothing about it instory), and something we have already had a timeline for in the story itself.

Mother told us Turn 1 that she is sending people to the sect, it's not something she never told us. Them arriving now makes sense, and there is only so much time it can be stretched.

Li Suyin told us that she had filed the paperwork turn 1, and Ling Qi told her 'please can I come with you'. Last turn, iirc, she told us she was now looking for the last tools and getting ready to go. This is not meta time because it has already happened.

Li suyin's delving is important to her core pillmaking, unlike Xuan Shi's temple which is unlikely to be a core Xuan secret he needs to do.

As such, if we don't go with her, she is likely to do it alone.

I get the whole favor meta-time thing; I've played Persona and all. That being said, I think starting the Xuan Shi quest line will lead to cooler adventures sooner than continuing the Li Suyin quest line. And I love front loading interesting events.

Plus I've been wanting to hang out with Xuan Shi since Year Two started.

I get the whole favor meta-time thing; I've played Persona and all. That being said, I think starting the Xuan Shi quest line will lead to cooler adventures sooner than continuing the Li Suyin quest line. And I love front loading interesting events.
Wouldn't it be more interesting if we had our own turtle ready to go with us when we went with him?

Also @yrsillar for the love of salt please put at least 1 hour moratoriums on social votes in the future (and maybe things like domain picks and life choices and such).

Turn plan votes naturally have a slowroll start and come in discussed to death due to how far ahead we know they happen and how involved they are with the mechanics, and plans are usually spearheaded based on that discussion.

In contrast, social votes have a very low barrier of entry and if the few pages following the update are mostly no-explanation votes with barely any discussion then making an informed choice becomes far more difficult than it should be.

Last edited:

As my duty come and my nature befell me,
Now shall be the fangirling time :

"Still so inattentive, Junior Sister Ling?" Ling Qi nearly jumped out of her skin, at the smooth male voice that spoke as if directly in her ear.

She spun around on instinct, bringing herself face to face with her one time tutor, Liao Zhu.

Kyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

Last edited:

Back