Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I see a lot of people assuming that because someone says "Oathbreaker" that that term instantly becomes true. Can't you imagine a situation where overzealous enforcement of a contract leads to both sides believing that they're in the right? Oh wait, that happens all the time. In fact one of the main tropes of spirit stories is how they hold the letter of contract to absurd standards.

I mean, I'm personally more convinced by the "mad beast" being perfectly reasonable. After that, the oathbreaker part becomes an add, rather than the decisive bit.

I don't really get why you, and some other people, thing that the neutral option is anything other than a <flee battle> button. To be rewarded for not fighting, not taking sides, is pretty much contrary to everything that is a cultivator.

Yes, it's a flee battle button.

It's also what the Burning Tree asked for.

[] Aid neither, leave them too it and go elsewhere, to try and figure out what is going on in this dream.

It's also a 'go explore the rest of the dream' button. There is more going on here than just this fight - the events that this dream plays out were strong enough to leave an imprint on the land, one that remains strong many thousands of years later. A pair of Appraisal Greens fighting is far from enough to cause that... unless they call upon the sorts of things best left untouched.

Why is it happening? We have some pieces: the Burning Tree called the Weilu Prince an Oathbreaker, while the Prince called the tree a Monster. Neither of those are terms to be used lightly... but who knows?

The Bloody Moon hangs in the sky, a symbol of blood and vengeance - who is seeking those things? The Prince and his family? The Tree and the forest it belongs to? Or both?

Certainly, we can gain one set of answers by picking a side and fighting here, and even learn more by meeting with the higher ups of either side. Perhaps even direct insights we can make use of, or rewards for the same. Perhaps not.

But those answers will only be one part of the whole, perhaps up to one half of this puzzle; perhaps less than that. Who knows what secrets were lost in this battle? What knowledge we can uncover, if only we go looking?

Personally, I think that leaving in search of more information will be less effective than simply defeating or driving off the Weilu scion and then asking the tree spirit.

I am pretty excited about figuring out what is going on in this dream. Something that happened at least 8000 years ago is going to be an amazing piece of information for our New Moon Patron. Not sure how many people know about this dream, or how valuable the information is, but I'm sure it will be a nice boost for our cultivation, just from the EPC bonus alone.

[X] Aid the prince, it was better to err on the side of the human

Spirits have inhuman mentality, and will not necessarily be willing to give rewards for something they didn't even ask for. On the other hand, the prince likely sees this as our duty, and might not do anything about it. Even so, rewards for devoted service are a thing, I believe.

Either way, the Neutral option is probably out. Earlier analysis indicates that the Prince will likely win most possible fights, and as such will be coming after us later should we leave. We need to finish the fight now, one way or the other, before we end up with a much harder one later.

Look at that last paragraph and notice we and Ling Qi know jack and shit about what to do. So I say we leave them to see who kills the other first.

I would love to head deeper into the dream and see what we can find and what can we learn, surely it can be more interesting that the blatantly obvious fight we can influence and actually win right off the gate of the event :rolleyes:

[X] Aid neither, leave them too it and go elsewhere, to try and figure out what is going on in this dream.

Remember our Cultivation also feeds on learning secrets, not being told about them

Either way, the Neutral option is probably out. Earlier analysis indicates that the Prince will likely win most possible fights, and as such will be coming after us later should we leave. We need to finish the fight now, one way or the other, before we end up with a much harder one later.
Don't mind what you're voting for, but I'm going to point out Boyo here has two things getting in the way of that "Come up our ass" idea people keep bringing up. As a character he has a stated desire to find his Father, as laid out by his orders to Shen Hu and Lanhua. So for one he has a higher priority staring him in the face which has been clearly stated. Second he's a dream and that limit is going to both affect his thinking and ability to do stuff. Basically, another way to think about it is that he is on a script.

Look at that last paragraph and notice we and Ling Qi know jack and shit about what to do. So I say we leave them to see who kills the other first.

I would love to head deeper into the dream and see what we can find and what can we learn, surely it can be more interesting that the blatantly obvious fight we can influence and actually win right off the gate of the event :rolleyes:

[X] Aid neither, leave them too it and go elsewhere, to try and figure out what is going on in this dream.

Remember our Cultivation also feeds on learning secrets, not being told about them
I do kinda agree with this thinking.
Adhoc vote count started by BungieONI on Dec 19, 2018 at 8:59 PM, finished with 181 posts and 83 votes.

I don't think that this fight is the one that matters. A battle between two green appraisal cultivators should not produce a memory that lasts for over 8,500 years. No, that is some higher level stuff, like Cyan or above. We know that there is more combat happening all around in the memory,

Which makes it strikingly unlikely that this bout of combat is the relevant combat. No, I think that the fight that the Weilu's father is in, or even a higher ranked Weilu, is the fight that matters.

As for not assisting the Prince, I agree, he's not going to like it. But in this situation, I would think that he would rather rush to his father's side then track us down and make an example of us. And killing the Prince isn't going to make his father like us at all.

I think that there is much more going on and figuring that out is more beneficial to our goals than helping the Angry Tree or the Furious Prince.
> Ling Qi and Shen Hu are out of their depth
> Presented with a choice of faction representatives to side with
> Naw dawg Ive got a better chance of figuring things out by flailing around blindly in an active warzone as someone unaligned with either faction.

Lets not let our collective hubris cause us to be too suicidal, shall we?

The main reason I'm voting to leave is what choosing to kill one of them means for Ling Qi.

Because in a situation where:
Neither she nor her friends/allies are in direct danger.
She knows nothing about two people fighting.
One asks her to leave.
The other asks for help.
Both make accusations of unclear validity.
And she has the option to side with one and maybe commit murder or leave and try to figure things out.

Well, I'd rather Ling Qi not resort to murder without a good reason.

Yes, it's a flee battle button.

It's also what the Burning Tree asked for.

It's also a 'go explore the rest of the dream' button. There is more going on here than just this fight - the events that this dream plays out were strong enough to leave an imprint on the land, one that remains strong many thousands of years later. A pair of Appraisal Greens fighting is far from enough to cause that... unless they call upon the sorts of things best left untouched.

Why is it happening? We have some pieces: the Burning Tree called the Weilu Prince an Oathbreaker, while the Prince called the tree a Monster. Neither of those are terms to be used lightly... but who knows?

The Bloody Moon hangs in the sky, a symbol of blood and vengeance - who is seeking those things? The Prince and his family? The Tree and the forest it belongs to? Or both?

Certainly, we can gain one set of answers by picking a side and fighting here, and even learn more by meeting with the higher ups of either side. Perhaps even direct insights we can make use of, or rewards for the same. Perhaps not.

But those answers will only be one part of the whole, perhaps up to one half of this puzzle; perhaps less than that. Who knows what secrets were lost in this battle? What knowledge we can uncover, if only we go looking?
Are we on a time limit ?
Because if we're not then that option only removes the one venue to said information we found so far. As i see it there is no reason we shouldn't be able to 1) maybe gain that info from the Tree (or, arguably, from the Prince) once we helped it/him, 2) continue exploring after this fight.

[X] Aid the prince, it was better to err on the side of the human

Spirits have inhuman mentality, and will not necessarily be willing to give rewards for something they didn't even ask for. On the other hand, the prince likely sees this as our duty, and might not do anything about it. Even so, rewards for devoted service are a thing, I believe.

I'm going to argue that the fact he called us Soldiers kinda implies we won't get "rewards for devoted service" at least not unless we keep working for him for a time long enough to earn a salary...

The main reason I'm voting to leave is what choosing to kill one of them means for Ling Qi.

Because in a situation where:
Neither she nor her friends/allies are in direct danger.
She knows nothing about two people fighting.
One asks her to leave.
The other asks for help.
Both make accusations of unclear validity.
And she has the option to side with one and maybe commit murder or leave and try to figure things out.

Well, I'd rather Ling Qi not resort to murder without a good reason.
it's not murder if they are both already dead ... dream/ghost things.

> Ling Qi and Shen Hu are out of their depth
> Presented with a choice of faction representatives to side with
> Naw dawg Ive got a better chance of figuring things out by flailing around blindly in an active warzone as someone unaligned with either faction.

To be honest, I do give Ling Qi and Shen Hu fair chances of avoiding combat if they limit themselves to get information.

Ling Qi did lead those commoners away from that siege where the flying Not!Mongols were looking out for runners all the way back from Jiao's test.

Are we on a time limit ?
Because if we're not then that option only removes the one venue to said information we found so far. As i see it there is no reason we shouldn't be able to 1) maybe gain that info from the Tree (or, arguably, from the Prince) once we helped it/him, 2) continue exploring after this fight.

Who knows if we are or not? All dreams end, but this dream seems as though it's been on 'repeat' for at least eight and a half thousand years.

And you must have missed the part where each side can only give their take on events - only provide half the answers, at best.

Furthermore, should we pick a side we will, I have no doubt, be dragged along with whichever representative we meet to the next encounter, with exposition provided along the way.

Is it safer to choose sides? Absolutely. Faster? Perhaps - we pick a side we're tying ourselves to that faction for the rest of this event, unless something comes up.

Will we be free to explore? I highly doubt it.

I'm genuinely surprised how many people are opting for the third option. I'd thought this would be a binary vote.

It's heavily one sided in favor of supporting the Tree Spirit, actually; that option has almost twice as many votes as the other two.

[X] Aid the spirit, something about the prince set her on edge

Frankly, I didn't like the prince's attitude when asking for help...

On a more neutral option, we should be capable of subduing him non-lethally , which gives some more options for later.

Realized that we are playing into one of my least favorite tropes; heroes picking fights with heroes because of snap decisions and lack of information. We're the Spy Mistress In-Training, so let's go gather some intel.

Back