Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Tbf, almost everything about TFA is smoke and mirrors, which runs on the audience inferring depth and meaning that just isn't there. Snoke's death at least had a clear purpose: to clear the way for Kylo, a well-defined and complex character at that point, and Trevorrow's script ran with the possibilities opened up by the decision.

I am only wondering when they will make new canon's inevitable attempts at Markos Ragnos and Exar Kun attempts at returning from death since they've gotten the Paplatine return out of he way..

Well unless they decide the ancient returning threat is Tenebrae since he's managed to come back more times than bloody Palpatine.

I've kind of wondering if they ever gave us a genuine Sith species back in cannon, would we still have the problematic story of the Dark Jedi Exiles, which was basically the stereotypical Aztec conquest. Unless they go with the reverse that the Exiles twisted a species so thoroughly, the species took their name instead as their own?

What is the point of all these prequels if we know Palpatine is alive and whoever is the bad guy du jur is only playing fiddle to him?

I want to know whats going on AFTER the Final Order and New Republic both collapsed

That I feel they are still planning that out. Although to be fair what your criticizing could be said of almost any prequel work post ROTS. Although I do want to see where some of this goes myself.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be honest when I saw Snoke for the first time I came away with the interpretation that Snoke was this weird giant alien who'd just showed up and hijacked an Imperial Remnant and he wasn't just using Palaptine's hologram setting to make himself look bigger. And I was always been kinda disappointed that he wasn't a giant alien he was just a normal sized guy who looked a bit weird cause I was really interested with what they're were going to do with that and how he'd have some climactic fight scene. That's on me I understand.

Honestly I dunno how much profit they can really get from making like ten Star Wars shows cause how many new subscribers are they gonna get that aren't already there for Mandalorian?

Yeah, I always liked the idea that he was just some random Dark Sider that either hijacked the First Order/the First Order bent the knee to because they thought "Well an Empire needs an Emperor, I guess?" (if I ever get around to finishing that Episode IX script/story that's the explanation I went with).

IMO it's a way straighter line then *checks notes* Palpatine somehow coming back from the dead and spending years coming up with an inferior clone version of himself that will rule the First Order as his puppet for...reasons?

Yeah, I always liked the idea that he was just some random Dark Sider that either hijacked the First Order/the First Order bent the knee to because they thought "Well an Empire needs an Emperor, I guess?" (if I ever get around to finishing that Episode IX script/story that's the explanation I went with).

IMO it's a way straighter line then *checks notes* Palpatine somehow coming back from the dead and spending years coming up with an inferior clone version of himself that will rule the First Order as his puppet for...reasons?
In my head he was the Last Inquisitor, and played all the candidates for First Consul or whatever against each other before launching a fait accompli. Making him cunning and ruthless, but eventually fatally arrogant.

Again, it would make the world feel that bit bigger.

Last edited:
Frankly I just hope future SW content just pretends Rise of Skywalker and the Palpatine Zombie doesn't exist.

Frankly I just hope future SW content just pretends Rise of Skywalker and the Palpatine Zombie doesn't exist.
I mean if they revive Ben Solo then I would be fine because I have always thought that he could be a good character if handled by a competent writer, so basically don't let the majority of current Marvel comics even close to anything Star Wars.

Maybe they should just go for the what was he called Cade Skywalker approach? Set it a hundred years in the future then the viewer don't have to address whatever they want to have not happened. To be clear not necessarily a series with a Skywalker descendent just a series set far enough in the future whatever happened doesn't matter.

I'm curious to see how keenly the various factions of new fans respond to all this. Particularly the ones like myself, who were on board up til TRoS and possibly Solo.

Cos for me, the hope was that TFA would just be an easy entree and Star Wars would keep pushing forward. The two films which followed that seemed to have us on that trajectory, the two that followed those seemed to say that new fans had been, at best, a happy accident for Star Wars. Now I look at this new slate and except for the High Republic stuff, everything looks to be colouring between the lines.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how keenly the various factions of new fans respond to all this. Particularly the ones like myself, who were on board up til TRoS and possibly Solo.

Cos for me, the hope was that TFA would just be an easy entree and Star Wars would keep pushing forward. The two films which followed that seemed to have us on that trajectory, the two that followed those seemed to say that new fans had been, at best, a happy accident for Star Wars Now I look at this new slate and except for the High Republic stuff, everything looks to be colouring between the lines.

Well I'm not sure whether I would call myself a 'new fan' (I first got interested in Star Wars through the Phantom Menace) but the Sequel Trilogy definitely increased my love and interest in the Star Wars universe. I'm pretty excited for all these new shows, especially if they're at the same standard as The Mandalorian. The only thing I'm kinda meh about is Rogue Squadron, as the space-battle side of Star Wars has never really interested me.

The one thing I was hoping from this was the announcement of Rian Johnsons new films (I think he was hired for a trilogy?). Though I guess he's still kind of controversial in the Star Wars fandom for reasons I don't quite get, so I could understand if they're holding off on confirming for a few more years so the hatred dies down a little. Admittedly this is just what I think but Lucasfilm has had no hesitation in publicly firing directors in the past (Trank, Treverrow, D&D) and the fact they haven't done that to Rian Johnson gives me a bit of hope.

Well I'm not sure whether I would call myself a 'new fan' (I first got interested in Star Wars through the Phantom Menace) but the Sequel Trilogy definitely increased my love and interest in the Star Wars universe. I'm pretty excited for all these new shows, especially if they're at the same standard as The Mandalorian. The only thing I'm kinda meh about is Rogue Squadron, as the space-battle side of Star Wars has never really interested me.

The one thing I was hoping from this was the announcement of Rian Johnsons new films (I think he was hired for a trilogy?). Though I guess he's still kind of controversial in the Star Wars fandom for reasons I don't quite get, so I could understand if they're holding off on confirming for a few more years so the hatred dies down a little. Admittedly this is just what I think but Lucasfilm has had no hesitation in publicly firing directors in the past (Trank, Treverrow, D&D) and the fact they haven't done that to Rian Johnson gives me a bit of hope.
That would be because Johnson actually completed a film that made a fair bit of money (and was generally on good terms with people except for Boyega, Hamill to start with, and some of the production heads - I seem to recall some of the designers were mutinous during TLJ's shoot). I'm honestly surprised that they didn't jump on the racism accusations both to get themselves a scapegoat and get rid of him, though.

My suspicion is that they're slowly strangling it or waiting for Johnson to get sick of the drag, and bail. The man wanted a delay on Episode IX as a condition for coming back (both for the production's sake and so that he wouldn't just be living Star Wars for four years straight) and probably has other projects on the page besides Benoit Blanc's second mystery.

It may depend on how much of the creative team circa 2016-7 is still in place. Whatever people's views on the film itself, Johnson did collaborate pretty closely with the Story Group, swapping ideas with Dave Filoni (Clone Wars S7 arguably acknowledges TLJ more than TRoS does) and the tie-in authors (Bloodlines includes some things which he suggested to the writer). Whereas Abrams and Terrio are said to have demanded minimal involvement from anyone else.

Edit: on the tie-in note, it still strikes me that Resistance Reborn, the novel released a month before TRoS, feels like it's setting up a totally different film.

Last edited:
Maybe they should just go for the what was he called Cade Skywalker approach? Set it a hundred years in the future then the viewer don't have to address whatever they want to have not happened. To be clear not necessarily a series with a Skywalker descendent just a series set far enough in the future whatever happened doesn't matter.
The problem would be the inevitable compulsion/demand to explain everything that happened between the past and the future, which defeats the intention/advantage that such an approach has.

If a hundred years is too soon then set it a thousand year or a few thousand years in the future or more when making the events of the the distant past vague and legendary would make sense.

I'm pulled in both directions on this front. Though increasingly I wish they could've just made something that wouldn't have old fans snarling at the new for invading their space and enjoying stories which offended them.

Huh it seems at least a portion of the rumors were true and they are going to move the tent pole status away from the sequel trilogy and more onto the Mandalorian.

honestly not that upset kinda feels like SW does better in a longer form format.

Also does the Font for the Ahsoka look like the world between/vale of the force?

One question with where The Mandalorian's going: is it me, or are we reverting hard to Attachments Bad, So No Attachments? Admittedly TRoS arguably was already doing this, but to hear it from that character felt rather jarring but also quite definitive on that front.

One question with where The Mandalorian's going: is it me, or are we reverting hard to Attachments Bad, So No Attachments? Admittedly TRoS arguably was already doing this, but to hear it from that character felt rather jarring but also quite definitive on that front.

I chalked that up to some serious PTSD on that person's end considering everything that happened to them personally or that they might have learned in Rebels. They really don't want to have trained the next dark side user on their conscience.

I took it more like, she knows separating Grogu from his, let's admit it, father would lead to a BAD time. She's obviously thinking of Anakin when she's saying she can't take him (it wouldn't shock me if Ahsoka at least knows a little about Shmi and what being separated from her did to Anakin though I doubt the massacre made it into those late night talks).

Besides, I took it less like "attachments bad" and more "Look, you seem to be in denial, you're the kid's father now and just handing him over to someone else and washing your hands of it is no longer a viable option for either of you. Here's a place called Typhon, The Force will probably do something to help you figure this whole mess out."

Well, for people who are desperately wanting Star Wars to do new stuff, we have good news. Review copies for the first wave of High Republic stuff is shipping out and people are really liking Light of the Jedi and also pretty positive on the YA and Children's novels coming out with it. So at the least we've got that to look forward to.

Well, for people who are desperately wanting Star Wars to do new stuff, we have good news. Review copies for the first wave of High Republic stuff is shipping out and people are really liking Light of the Jedi and also pretty positive on the YA and Children's novels coming out with it. So at the least we've got that to look forward to.
Thank god. I'm really hoping this goes places, not least because it'll be the purest Space Fantasy of the new canon.

Or even better have it The Mandalorian and future live action shows erase the sequel trilogy from it's canon, just have that trilogy be set in an alternate universe so fans of that trilogy can have that as canon also.

We've been over this. Disney, for all that they can and will screw people, are not about to publicly erase the work of the thousands of people who netted them several billion. Ain't happening, unless they want to expose themselves for the spineless cowards they truly are (which they are, let's not pretend otherwise, but it's another thing to advertise it).

Because at least some of those headlines will read "Disney burns Oscar-nominated writer-director, bins Mark Hamill's finest (live-action, at least) performance, trashes Carrie Fisher's last and also shows us the cavernous gulf where their balls ought to be".

Last edited:
Back