Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Wat.

Like that's still gnna be at best ethnic cleansing or functional mass deportation like wtf.
It's also a huge strategic asset to the Empire - Shu-Torun's output is hugely significant and they traffic heavily in particular ores which the superweapons program really eats up. It's a mass deportation functionally, though the Partisans are all for turning it into a massacre. Still definitely one of the canon Rebels' most brutal moves, though.

It's also a huge strategic asset to the Empire - Shu-Torun's output is hugely significant and they traffic heavily in particular ores which the superweapons program really eats up. It's a mass deportation functionally, though the Partisans are all for turning it into a massacre. Still definitely one of the canon Rebels' most brutal moves, though.
I must admit you are not really selling me on the new-canon rebels lol.

Okay, having gone back and reread the relevant comics for this story arc, this is all pretty misleading? The way it actually goes down is that the main OT cast makes an alliance with the Partisans in order to sabotage the Spike, a key piece of infrastructure on Shu-Torun whose loss would cripple the industrial facilities that the planet has provided to the Empire. At no point does anyone ever say that the planet would become uninhabitable if it were destroyed. The Partisans try to change the plan and sabotage the Spike in a way that would actually devastate Shu-Torun in revenge for the destruction of Jedha and Alderaan, but Luke and Leia manage to talk them out of it. Also, it's not like Leia just puts a blaster bolt in the back of the Queen's head execution-style—it's a fight, and she happens to deal her a mortal wound in self-defense.

Sorry, this is me misremembering. It had been a while
There are admittedly a few lines that you could read in such a way as to imply that the planet would be unlivable without the Spike, but it's mostly the Rebels talking in a vague sort of way about "taking down Shu-Torun" and Leia pointing out that there would be time for the civilians to evacuate, which presumably means from the Spike and its surrounding areas rather than the whole world.

There are admittedly a few lines that you could read in such a way as to imply that the planet would be unlivable without the Spike, but it's mostly the Rebels talking in a vague sort of way about "taking down Shu-Torun" and Leia pointing out that there would be time for the civilians to evacuate, which presumably means from the Spike and its surrounding areas rather than the whole world.
I should've done the reread I'm intending on before I spoke. I need to look at Hope Dies again for my "Lost Stars scenes but add more subsequent canon" fic

Wonder what happened there. Anyhoo I've done some research and I'm surprised there isn't any detail on whether other Mandalorian worlds were attacked in the Great Purge. Though on second thoughts, I think the Children survived by being on well-known Mandalorian world Concord Dawn, so I guess it just wasn't considered.

I have to imagine Concord Dawn wasn't much of a priority because it wasn't as populated as Mandalore.
Unlike Mandalore, the surface of that world isn't endless wastes broken up by domed cities.

Meanwhile, Temptation of the Force presella are up. Goldsboro looking very pretty as usual!

I have been hoping for a more varied colour from the previous ones for the sprayed edges - orange, red maybe - but it does look very nice with gold.

Based on the title, I can only hope it's steamy trashy romance.

Based on the title, I can only hope it's steamy trashy romance.
Title, cover... if it's not, disappointment is an appropriate response. Summary blurb on amazon does suggests there's at least something in that direction.

Probably won't, like... read it... myself, but I dig the vibe. Maybe I can manage to sneak it into my library's collection somehow. We don't exactly get a lot of SF readers where I work, but trashy romance novels are perennially great circulation...

There's been like 4 books of buildup about how they used to have a thing as Padawans before the whole Jedi rules hit home and they grew up avoiding the subject.
If only people writing these trashy romance novels listened to George Lucas about whether or not Jedi are allowed to have relationships (they can btw, just no marriage) and concentrate less on the forbidden aspect of it and think more on whether or not they want to leave the Jedi and get married. Or possibly actually commit to the forbidden aspect of it and secretly get married like Anakin.

If only people writing these trashy romance novels listened to George Lucas about whether or not Jedi are allowed to have relationships (they can btw, just no marriage) and concentrate less on the forbidden aspect of it and think more on whether or not they want to leave the Jedi and get married. Or possibly actually commit to the forbidden aspect of it and secretly get married like Anakin.
Oh they have one of the best explorations of the topic I've seen in a long time. They're also far from wholly romance novels.

Avar has always been much more comfortable with her choices and her place in the Jedi and the galaxy at large, whereas Elzar is a serial boundary-pusher in essentially every way at once - but he respects Avar and her decisions, so he has for most of their life since their Padawan years not brought it up. Avar would never want to leave the order, and Elzar wouldn't either, partially for how much he enjoys pushing its boundaries. His eccentricities though... have led him to make both excellent decisions and hilariously poor ones.

One time for example he [major Rising Storm spoilers fair warning] hooked up with the local administrator of a grand expose fair he was working security on with as a one-night stand and it resulted in him waking up to a terror attack on his watch. I don't know if any exploration of Jedi relationships and romance and one night stands has ever explored the "it can lead to breaking professional attention" angle before.

Tbh I think people go way too easy on old George in terms of failing to define a lot of stuff within the Prequels. So often the meaning he actually intended comes off to me as kind of counterintuitive in contrast to a strict reading of the text alone.

But also yes, contrary to High Republic Discourse, they're not actually just trashy romance interspersed with a rock's disgusting sex life (because George never intended for there to be sex in Star Wars outside of Corran Horn clinically computing the pros and cons of rooting the Bacta Queen)

Last edited:
If only people writing these trashy romance novels listened to George Lucas about whether or not Jedi are allowed to have relationships (they can btw, just no marriage) and concentrate less on the forbidden aspect of it and think more on whether or not they want to leave the Jedi and get married.
You ain't familiar with the nature of trashy romance novels if you think they'd concentrate less on the forbidden aspect of it :V

Though I'm not sure if the books actually being discussed are trashy romance novels. It's just that the particular one referenced has the cover (and title, and summary) of one, heh.

Tbh I think people go way too easy on old George in terms of failing to define a lot of stuff within the Prequels. So often the meaning he actually intended comes off to me as kind of counterintuitive when you only have the text to go on.

But also yes, contrary to High Republic Discourse, they're not actually just trashy romance interspersed with a rock's disgusting sex life (because George never intended for there to be sex in Star Wars outside of Corran Horn clinically computing the pros and cons of rooting the Bacta Queen)
For clarity when I said steamy trashy romance in my earlier post it was also not a pejorative. The single best High Republic book (Convergence) has left be utterly begging to be fed a revist to that era where it's all my kind of horny trash forbidden love.

I think if Temptation of the Force is going to have any difficulty it's that Avar and Elzar, while a neat dynamic, just aren't Gella and Axel and probably can't compete with them for me in my heart.

For clarity when I said steamy trashy romance in my earlier post it was also not a pejorative. The single best High Republic book (Convergence) has left be utterly begging to be fed a revist to that era where it's all my kind of horny trash forbidden love.

I think if Temptation of the Force is going to have any difficulty it's that Avar and Elzar, while a neat dynamic, just aren't Gella and Axel and probably can't compete with them for me in my heart.
Oh, I know you weren't, have no fear on that score.

Reminds me, I need to revisit Velko Jahan and see if Velko/Keeve might have the rarepair potential I thought it might.

Back