Star Wars General Discussion Thread

When you think about it, the climax of Rebels pulled a high-low ground thing and used it for some neat dramatic reversals.

You know that's funny cause ether Full Fat Videos or Everything Great About...(I don't remember which at the top of my head) points out that whenever Luke takes the high ground in the duel in RotJ, Darth Vader always makes a tactical withdrawal to either ambush or reposition. I know there's no way in hell that Lucas planned that but its one of those serendipitous things about the Prequels that sometimes you can point to something really small and go, "Oh, that's why they do that."

You know that's funny cause ether Full Fat Videos or Everything Great About...(I don't remember which at the top of my head) points out that whenever Luke takes the high ground in the duel in RotJ, Darth Vader always makes a tactical withdrawal to either ambush or reposition. I know there's no way in hell that Lucas planned that but its one of those serendipitous things about the Prequels that sometimes you can point to something really small and go, "Oh, that's why they do that."
There was a nice video I saw today about how TLJ's space combat does something similar, in that it integrates a bunch of the conventions established in other Star Wars films:

I've got caught up in an argument yet again over TLJ's lack of a timeskip, and I feel like it's the best way to play a bad hand because in retrospect jesus, TFA has no idea what to say about anything. If the old saying "the ending is the conceit" holds true, than Abrams is saying "someone take this thing off me and work out what should happen next".

Yeah I'll always love the unintended call forward where Luke jumps to the catwalk and Vader just chucks the lightsaber at him like "Yeah not falling for that one again."

I mean, that's just smart. Memes aside the high ground gives an advantage

Just wanted to check first, but is there a dedicated Star Wars Art/Images Thread here like there is on SB?

Because I'm currently reading a Dark Side/Inquisitor!Luke Skywalker fic, and it's got me a hankering for some Dark Side!Luke, Sith!Luke, or Imperial!Luke fanart... specifically in an anime/manga art-style, because my standards can't accept anything else these days.

There was a nice video I saw today about how TLJ's space combat does something similar, in that it integrates a bunch of the conventions established in other Star Wars films:

I've got caught up in an argument yet again over TLJ's lack of a timeskip, and I feel like it's the best way to play a bad hand because in retrospect jesus, TFA has no idea what to say about anything. If the old saying "the ending is the conceit" holds true, than Abrams is saying "someone take this thing off me and work out what should happen next".

Oh yeah, TLJ's space combat makes no sense whatsoever.

Are we really beating that dead horse again?
I mean, when I saw the bombers, I kinda just rolled my eyes.

But honestly, I just found the movie boring so it's the least of the problems within the movie overall.

Whatever. Just my opinion. I'm not here to offend anyone.

Also, no offense, but you bring up TLJ in every conversation whenever I'm here (which is admittedly few times but every time I'm on SV you're talking about it).

Not attacking you or anything, just saying what I've observed. I think your points are well-argued here and there, but some of them delve more into personal preference at the end of the day. Which is why I usually agree to disagree in these cases.

Look, I just thought the video offered an interesting angle on how it was constructed and played. That is all.
It's okay, though I still think TLJ's combat sucks in general.

But honestly, my problem with that movie is that I personally found it boring.

And yes, I think we are beating a dead horse.

I'm sorry, everyone, if I'm derailing the conversation.

I just wanted to talk to people about how much they anticipate The Bad Batch compared to others. With that said: how would you rank your anticipating of The Bad Batch show compared to all the other shows announced? Is it your most anticipated? Least? Or perhaps somewhere in between?

I'm stoked for it, personally.

And that video isn't any better, laser's in Star Wars are plasma weapons, and so would be stopped be physical (Particle) shields and not ray shields.
Shields are very weird in Star Wars. There are shields that keep air inside but let ships fly out when fighters launch. There are shields that stop blaster fire but not people as seen in The Phantom Menace. And there are shields that stop everything like the one in Rogue One. The part I disagree with in the video is the statement that fighters flew through the shields protecting the larger ships. All depictions of spaceship shields have been depicted as thin layer of film on the surface and not a large bubble projected around the ship.

New thread for Star Wars: The Bad Batch, sequel to Star Wars: The Clone Wars
You can participate in the thread here.

I have a good feeling about this one, believe that it'll be a sleeper hit compared to their other projects, and I also think that it'll be better than Rebels. Much better, though that isn't saying much, if you ask me. Regardless, have fun with this one.

I just wanted to talk to people about how much they anticipate The Bad Batch compared to others. With that said: how would you rank your anticipating of The Bad Batch show compared to all the other shows announced? Is it your most anticipated? Least? Or perhaps somewhere in between?

I'm stoked for it, personally.

I´m thinking it´s gonna be the A-Team in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

Tangentially related to the thread, I am working on an old school lightsaber pike and am at the point where i have to start making choices, what do you guys think

Its a neopixle set up so pretty much any color, for the early era Jedi thinking either acid green or some hue of orange-yellow.

for a armored Sith, unsurprisingly red
Ooh, very nice.

BTW, seeing as orange blades seem to be canon again as of Fallen Order, do we know if they're meant to signify anything about the bearer/finder?

Ooh, very nice.

BTW, seeing as orange blades seem to be canon again as of Fallen Order, do we know if they're meant to signify anything about the bearer/finder?

Welp red tint in neo legends, ie that weird time when legends weren't quite dead but before Disney canon, was a lean towards the dark side in the character of the bearer. Yellow was iirc a defender of the people/stalwart guardian or a seeker of knowledge/scholarly bent.

so either a defender who may let their rage overtake them or a seeker of knowledge that is willing to tread close to the dark side for answers.

personally I just like orange, and kind of miss the rainbow of colors we got in old school legends, but then you also get the dumb stuff like ghostsabers and ultraviolet lightsabers.

That said I am rather fond of the whole bleeding thing for red sith lightsabers.

My current head canon ,as I don't think it has really been addressed in current canon, is that kyber crystals basically come in the fallen order range of colors with blue and green being the most common, with bleeding getting you red, but there is a whole school of Jedi mysticism around what does your "lightsaber color mean about you" on about the same level as astrology.

Last edited:
Welp red tint in neo legends, ie that weird time when legends weren't quite dead but before Disney canon, was a lean towards the dark side in the character of the bearer. Yellow was iirc a defender of the people/stalwart guardian or a seeker of knowledge/scholarly bent.

so either a defender who may let their rage overtake them or a seeker of knowledge that is willing to tread close to the dark side for answers.

personally I just like orange, and kind of miss the rainbow of colors we got in old school legends, but then you also get the dumb stuff like ghostsabers and ultraviolet lightsabers.

That said I am rather fond of the whole bleeding thing for red sith lightsabers.

My current head canon ,as I don't think it has really been addressed in current canon, is that kyber crystals basically come in the fallen order range of colors with blue and green being the most common, with bleeding getting you red, but there is a whole school of Jedi mysticism around what does your "lightsaber color mean about you" on about the same level as astrology.
Yeah, in all the lore I've found, yellow does suit Rey down to the ground - at least her TFA/TLJ self. I don't see Cal as treading close to the Dark Side, though I suppose you could count
his guilt over Jaro Tapal and his fear of being reduced to something like what Trilla has become

Yeah, the bleeding thing I really like, now I've seen it play out in Soule's run in the Vader comics.

Yeah, in all the lore I've found, yellow does suit Rey down to the ground - at least her TFA/TLJ self. I don't see Cal as treading close to the Dark Side, though I suppose you could count
his guilt over Jaro Tapal and his fear of being reduced to something like what Trilla has become

Yeah, the bleeding thing I really like, now I've seen it play out in Soule's run in the Vader comics.

Yeah that sequence was intense. Overall, I haven't read the new run yet, the Vader comics really knock it out of the park.

Back