Star Wars General Discussion Thread

It was basically "What did George Lucas and his friends get high and talk about between 1969 to 1975?"
Do you understand how little that narrows it down? Like you are saying "What did a high film student in California talk about with his equally high friends and Steven Spielberg?" For all we know they know the truth or the universe and then forgot about it because a guy laughed when someone said "hi" because he thought he said "high".

We should have Mandalorians and some other cultures using melee weapons more. I find it weird that the only sword any Mando uses is the Darksaber, and it would fit them to have those and axes.

We have had Boba with the Gaffi Stick, and the Armourer with the hammer. Other than them I can only think of Tusken Raiders and Ewoks. The trifecta of warrior cultures.

Yeah you'd expect there would be some more high tech melee weapons(though Mando did use a vibroblade).

It just makes me think of KOTOR I & II in which the Mandalorians and pretty much everyone else were seen using both ranged weapons and a variety of high tech melee weapons which had been designed to resist lightsabers along with armor also made to resist lightsabers because those were actual concerns at in that age with the large numbers of sith and jedi running around with the Mandalorians considering the jedi worthy opponents to fight unlike the sith.

But going back to the OT era I recall that Jabba the Hutt employed Gamorreans who favored Vibro-Axes and Vibro-Lances as guards so that's another star wars culture with melee weapons we see in the films.

It felt like they were going that way - we had Phasma with a spear not unlike what Din Djarin gets hold of, Riot Troopers with those shock-batons and of course the Praetorians' whole box of toys. Why they didn't give the same to the Knights of Ren I will never understand - it would at least make the scene where Ben wipes them out more legible and add the tiniest bit of visual interest.

And particularly in the Prequels, it would mean it makes more sense for the Jedi to be absolute apex swordsmen.

I've seen it said that one of the Issues with JJ's Star Wars is that he only takes influences from past Star Wars films, instead of taking in influences from a wider variety of films.

I mean I don't see that as too much of an issue in an of itself, since Star Wars has basically cannibalized itself in plenty of EU works, but I feel it would have been nice to not have the typical manipulative big bad force user, or if we had to have it exercised much better which could be said of plenty of things in the sequels. Mind you it would have been nice had the ST had one director, which is something I don't get.

We should have Mandalorians and some other cultures using melee weapons more. I find it weird that the only sword any Mando uses is the Darksaber, and it would fit them to have those and axes.

Axes don't seem to be a 'Mandalorian' thing, although you did have what looked to be Sith halberds, although swords also seemed to be a thing with. don't axes require less metal working than swords that you could see more of them. Although Legends really did love it's use of high and low tech weapons at the same time, since you had a lot of that going on as late as Ruusan. But I'd love it we had more of the weapons the Praetorians used.

On the subject, I preordered Light of the Jedi for my e-reader so I'll begin reading tomorrow. I'll probably post thoughts here as I go.

Does anyone else think that Disney might be trying to say something about States Right's with the failure of the New Republic?

Does anyone else think that Disney might be trying to say something about States Right's with the failure of the New Republic?

No. Not at all.

Anyway, I'm eight chapters into Light of the Jedi and I have to say, I'm hooked. They're really selling the idea that the Jedi of this period are extraordinarily trusted and the sight of one brings great relief to the people they come to help. Especially since the writing is really effective at conveying how big and bad the approaching catastrophe that defines the opening chapters is. I think people are really going to like the small bits of worldbuilding and character that really come together to show how deeply intertwined the Republic and the Jedi are at this point.

Not, really unless someone wants to go out and the Confederacy was right all along? Really the Republic never clearly developed a entirely centralized government just a senate but with no restrictions on what government comprised the member worlds, considering you have monarchies apart of the Republic.

Which isn't exactly surprising given some of the founding states of the old republic in both new and old canon included several empires and kingdoms.

Nope. They were trying to say "now we're back to Rebels vs the Empire, like in those movies you love."

Anyway, on a positive note I've read the first volumes of the Poe and Vader: Dark Lord comics and they're both really good. Imperial Machine in particular goes to genuinely heavy places. Its depiction of Kyber crystal-bleeding is startling - and, to my relief, bolsters my recent fic which revolves around healing a Kyber.

Also, I think Poe's comic characterisation is actually contiguous with him in TLJ. If anything, it reinforces why he acts as he does in that film.

Last edited:
Update: Twenty-two chapters in and we've met the Nihil, who are being set up as a major antagonistic faction in The High Republic as a whole.

Good news, I already really like them as villains. For one thing, they are a completely different kind of threat than anything we've seen in the franchise thus far, with abilities and methods that make them unique when compared to mainstays like the Sith, the Empire, or the Hutts. I've seen one chapter of them at this point and I already have a good understanding of their organization while not having it be so fleshed out that there is no mystery. They have strengths and weaknesses that make sense and, at this point at least, resonate with both the heroes strength and weakness but also the larger themes of the High Republic.

Overall, I'm still having a really good time.

Edit: Second Nihil chaper, and I am in love with these guys.

Last edited:
Update: Twenty-two chapters in and we've met the Nihil, who are being set up as a major antagonistic faction in The High Republic as a whole.

Good news, I already really like them as villains. For one thing, they are a completely different kind of threat than anything we've seen in the franchise thus far, with abilities and methods that make them unique when compared to mainstays like the Sith, the Empire, or the Hutts. I've seen one chapter of them at this point and I already have a good understanding of their organization while not having it be so fleshed out that there is no mystery. They have strengths and weaknesses that make sense and, at this point at least, resonate with both the heroes strength and weakness but also the larger themes of the High Republic.

The Nihil gave me 40k Chaos Cultist and Fallout Raider vibes, from the promo materials and description. I assume that holds up in some way or another?

Well, your question ended up making me pick the book back up thinking I'd read to the next Nihil POV to give you a better answer but I ended up binging it til I was done and not getting to sleep until 2 AM. Anyway, now that I have a more complete view of the organization I have to say...

It's complicated. Physically, they have a very similar style of aesthetic which the narrative outright calls brutalist. So they've got the look down pat. It's when it comes to their actual beliefs, goals, and motives that things get complicated because the Nihil as a whole go through a kind of character development. The organization as it exists at the beginning and the organization at the end are radically different. It's one of the things that made them into such an interesting set of villains. Its what's made their leader into one of the best villains Star Wars has had in years.

Hell I say it's one of the best villains it's had since Thrawn. During their later scenes I was practically chanting "Go you magnificent bastard go!" I honestly just have to say just go get the book (libraries have it but prepare for quite the wait). Because seeing the Nihil change into the force that will threaten the High Republic throughout however long they'll exist is one of the things that makes this book so great.

Well, your question ended up making me pick the book back up thinking I'd read to the next Nihil POV to give you a better answer but I ended up binging it til I was done and not getting to sleep until 2 AM.

Hell I say it's one of the best villains it's had since Thrawn. During their later scenes I was practically chanting "Go you magnificent bastard go!" I honestly just have to say just go get the book (libraries have it but prepare for quite the wait). Because seeing the Nihil change into the force that will threaten the High Republic throughout however long they'll exist is one of the things that makes this book so great.

Sorry for unintentionally causing you to binge watch. As in since Heir to the Empire? For me, I've actually really taken a shining to Lord Momin as my favorite recently introduced villain.

Saw The Clone Wars Season 7. It was okay. The Bad Hatch arc was a chore to get through, though I liked seeing Mace in it. It was super interesting to see the civilian side of Star Wars in Ashoka's solo arc. Nearly every protagonist in Star Wars is a person with a military/government/criminal connection that makes seeing actual normal people in Star Wars as protagonists so unusual. It wa refreshing. The final arc was a bit disappointing to me in a way. It didn't feel like the finale to the Clone Wars, but the finale to its three big character creations (Maul is honestly at this point more of a Clone Wars character like Rex and ashoka, then he is a movie character.) It was nice to see Mandalore again, though. I guess it was also cool to see Vader in full in CW art style, since he was teased a lot. But, overall, I felt that the finales to season 5 and 6 were more fitting endings to series as a whole then this one.

Back