Star Wars General Discussion Thread

So I got into Clone Wars. Well, was inducted by my little brother and we ran the series with a vengeance. Not gonna lie, the first two seasons plus the movie were exceedingly bumpy, but once the show really came alive, holy hell. I loved how adventurous it is, and while there are some things I have issues with, the high points hit me as hard as almost anything in the films.

And in addition to all that, it's been a little bit of a lowkey healing process for my Star Wars fandom. In a way, it's been particularly helpful to be watching something I enjoy from an era of Star Wars which I generally haven't liked. It makes it that bit easier to put TRoS in a box and just push it to one side. And it gives me some ideas for my own fics :D

P.S. I also recommend this as a mood-setter for starting on Fallen Order.

Last edited:
So I got into Clone Wars. Well, was inducted by my little brother and we ran the series with a vengeance. Not gonna lie, the first two seasons plus the movie were exceedingly bumpy, but once the show really came alive, holy hell. I loved how adventurous it is, and while there are some things I have issues with, the high points hit me as hard as almost anything in the films.

And in addition to all that, it's been a little bit of a lowkey healing process for my Star Wars fandom. In a way, it's been particularly helpful to be watching something I enjoy from an era of Star Wars which I generally haven't liked. It makes it that bit easier to put TRoS in a box and just push it to one side. And it gives me some ideas for my own fics :D
I think you've said something like this before, but hopefully it hits harder now: the biggest flaw of the sequel trilogy from a franchising standpoint is that there's no room in it for a TCW equivalent. Resistance apparently did what it could, but it didn't have its hook in the film characters the way TCW did. Maybe Disney might make an animated series following the ST, especially since it's doubtful that they'll ever make a proper big budget film in that era again, but it seems more likely that the sequel era will just be left to collect dust from a storytelling perspective.

I think you've said something like this before, but hopefully it hits harder now: the biggest flaw of the sequel trilogy from a franchising standpoint is that there's no room in it for a TCW equivalent. Resistance apparently did what it could, but it didn't have its hook in the film characters the way TCW did. Maybe Disney might make an animated series following the ST, especially since it's doubtful that they'll ever make a proper big budget film in that era again, but it seems more likely that the sequel era will just be left to collect dust from a storytelling perspective.
I mean the obvious solution to that would be to change the gap between TLJ and The Big Face Plant from 1 year to 5 years.

I have indeed, and oh yeah I feel it even more now. Particularly having watched the Clones come alive and break their own mold. Jess Pava and Snap Wexley became fan favourites with just a smidge of screentime and a few comics (which I intend to get soon), and it would've been cool to have them interact with Rey, Rose and Finn at least in comic form. Not to mention how much more lived-in the Galaxy feels courtesy of TCW. Umbara and Dathomir, in particular, have so much character to them.

I mean the obvious solution to that would be to change the gap between TLJ and The Big Face Plant from 1 year to 5 years.
It still strikes me that TLJ's ending seems to call for a timeskip of something like three years, for the Resistance to claw their way back to fighting strength. I think TLJ itself charging in on TFA's heels was the right call because Abrams left so much still in motion, and several questions right about to be answered, but with Episode IX the story imperatives demand the opposite tack.

Edit: I recently read Son of Dathomir and enjoyed it immensely. Now hoping we get a story following Ahsoka and Bo-Katan during the same period.

Last edited:
Disney Investor Day news

The Mandalorian will receive two spin offs, "Ahsoka" and "Rangers of the New Republic"

Andor will be a Spy Thriller.

Hayden Christiansen will reprise for Obi-Wan, which is set 10 years after ROTS

Acolyte series, described as a mystery series, announced for high republic era

R2 and 3PO get a show

Hayden Christensen is back as Darth Vader #blessed. I've changed my mind 10 Star Wars shows in the course of three years isn't too many if we get that

Disney Investor Day news

The Mandalorian will receive two spin offs, "Ahsoka" and "Rangers of the New Republic"

Andor will be a Spy Thriller.

Hayden Christiansen will reprise for Obi-Wan, which is set 10 years after ROTS

Acolyte series, described as a mystery series, announced for high republic era

R2 and 3PO get a show
One last thing: Patty Jenkins directing movie called Rogue Squadron

Plus a Lando series, an anime anthology series called "Visions", and a Bad Batch series, plus a vague mention that Waititi's film is still happening (no mention of Johnson's trilogy, woof).

Aside from Acolyte, honestly, this gets a giant shrug from me. I get why they're sticking hard to either the OT or the exact same time as the Mandalorian (aka "the only time periods we think people like"), but it's kind've a bummer. Even Patty Jenkins promising the greatest fighter pilot movie of all time (I don't doubt that she'll pull it off) feels a little less cool knowing it'll be stuck in an OT side story. But a mystery thriller set in the goofball fantasy age of the High Republic? Now that I can get behind.

So it feels like they realized people weren't going to watch these as individual movies so they switched them to shows. Wasn't that what they were saying after the issues with Solo and RoS? I remember seeing rumors about a Lando movie at some point. I'm not complaining, I'd rather take 10 good series than like 5 bad movies.

Well setting it past the OT is nice in a way, cause there's a 30 year gap between RoTJ and TFA and we have very little to piece the two together, besides now the Mandalorian. I do wish we could get some more prequel/pre-prequel era content too tho.

Plus a Lando series, an anime anthology series called "Visions", and a Bad Batch series, plus a vague mention that Waititi's film is still happening (no mention of Johnson's trilogy, woof).

Aside from Acolyte, honestly, this gets a giant shrug from me. I get why they're sticking hard to either the OT or the exact same time as the Mandalorian (aka "the only time periods we think people like"), but it's kind've a bummer. Even Patty Jenkins promising the greatest fighter pilot movie of all time (I don't doubt that she'll pull it off) feels a little less cool knowing it'll be stuck in an OT side story. But a mystery thriller set in the goofball fantasy age of the High Republic? Now that I can get behind.
Same. I note that the project I'm really hoping still happens isn't canned is once again conspicuous by its absence.

This feels like a lot of it might easily fall into the "live-action Wookiepedia article" bracket.

Rogue Squadron maaaay not be an OT side story? Blurb from starwars.com:

The next Star Wars feature film will be Rogue Squadron — directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman franchise). The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

So it could be ST or it could be between ST/OT... or maybe it is just an OT side-story. Anyway, I read a lot of the Rogue and Wraith books so I will probaby watch it.

Acolyte sounds neat because Old Republic mystery sounds bretty cool.

Also Andor, because I am a sucker for Diego Luna's beautiful face.

Everything else is a solid meh out of meh from me.

Last edited:
I am only wondering when they will make new canon's inevitable attempts at Markos Ragnos and Exar Kun attempts at returning from death since they've gotten the Paplatine return out of he way..

Well unless they decide the ancient returning threat is Tenebrae since he's managed to come back more times than bloody Palpatine.

Eh, I wouldn't mind a nice single player star wars RPG, there hasn't been one since KOTOR 2 after all and like KOTOR they could explore times and places away from the OT, Prequel and sequel general time period.

Yeah, wasn't someone saying something about oversaturation at the start of the year? Someone called Bob Iger (who incidentally has been fingered as the person who pushed for TRoS to not have its release date moved which added a ton of problems to those Abrams already brought with him), if I recall.

I swear Mando was meant to be a solo exploration between trilogies, and now it apparently has to be the cornerstone of a whole other saga. Can we stop this? Can we just let stories just be the sizes that are right for them?

Yeah Mando kind of turned into SW's Arrow where it was a launch pad for its sister series. Should be interesting but hopefully we'll have less "Mando randomly goes back to that planet" filler episodes next season.

Back