No? A coil gun is a series of coils, each of which provides a pulse. There's no constant force at all.
Unless you're gonna make a single giant coil(which is inefficient), you're going to have the projectile "wobbling" up and down as it enters and exits coils. You could stick the entire thing in a coil pointed up, but why would you do that?
-SCIENCE!! begs to differ. Granted this one isn't all that powerful, but a guy made it in his garage, probably in a couple of days.-

.....Well that went FUBAR quickly, any way we can bring this Train back on the Rails now?

Soooo, Tikitau does the Commander have any memory of ME3? or did the commander come into the ME-verse pre-ME3?

Has the Commander briefed the wandering nerazim corsairs about the heretical geth?

Because if he hasn't yet (*cough*galaxyoffantasy*cough*), then some corsairs might suddenly get surprised why those friendly geth ships are firing at them.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. You're right, the wobble is negligable.

Personally, I'd still expect you'd want a barrel to increase accuracy, but I'm not a professional coilgun designer.
Edit: However, to get back to the original point, barrel wear should be negligible - or at least no worse than in modern rifled firearms - since the barrel is there only as a guide; it does not need to carry current (as in a railgun) nor maintain a tight seal against an explosion (as in a chemically-propelled modern fire-arm).

Last edited:
Personally, I'd still expect you'd want a barrel to increase accuracy, but I'm not a professional coil-gun designer.
You probably wouldn't need one(the coils pull the projectile towards their center, so they automatically adjust), but you need something to actually hold the coils in place, provide structural support, and serve as a heatsink.

Personally, I'd still expect you'd want a barrel to increase accuracy, but I'm not a professional coilgun designer.
Edit: However, to get back to the original point, barrel wear should be negligible - or at least no worse than in modern rifled firearms - since the barrel is there only as a guide; it does not need to carry current (as in a railgun) nor maintain a tight seal against an explosion (as in a chemically-propelled modern fire-arm).
You probably wouldn't need one(the coils pull the projectile towards their center, so they automatically adjust), but you need something to actually hold the coils in place, provide structural support, and serve as a heatsink.
*spray bottles* *spritzspritz*

Mr. Squirts suggests a new topic of conversation. ^.^
I dunno about you guys, but I'm thinking Tiki was referring to the coilgun/railgun/whatthefuckever topic.

So I had a thought on the coilgun with a shell discussion. Could the shell be a super compact capacitor? It would make a certain amount of sense to combine the energy source with the projectile after all. One is kind of useless without the other.

So I had a thought on the coilgun with a shell discussion. Could the shell be a super compact capacitor? It would make a certain amount of sense to combine the energy source with the projectile after all. One is kind of useless without the other.

Maybe, though that would make the cost for the round to be more then simply having the capacitor on the weapon itself, more so if you take the cost of the micronazation (is that a word?) into account.

Aaaaaaaand up to date! Fuck yes! Three down,one to go.

Where can I find Commander here? Preferably not the story-only thread; I like the chatter,even if it's Wobulator's Backseat Science.

Here.

There's not as much chatter, though, since the story was on SB for a long while before porting over and most readers comment over there.

True, that Faith, sadly I don't have an SB account so I just bum around here and reply to threads when I feel like it.

I find the Community here on SV more to my liking if I am honest.

Maybe, though that would make the cost for the round to be more then simply having the capacitor on the weapon itself, more so if you take the cost of the micronazation (is that a word?) into account.
That depends entirely on what they are making the capacitor out of. It may very well be something that can only store a charge once and dumps it rapidly when given the right stimulus.

That depends entirely on what they are making the capacitor out of. It may very well be something that can only store a charge once and dumps it rapidly when given the right stimulus.

What about Mass Effects 1's cool down system that, if you had your guns set up right, could fire forever without overheating?

Back