Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
So how did they know the virus was from norm? Just timing, or did the virus leave a trail back to oscorp?
If this was later than the nineties I'd say that the source would have been unknowable, because there are a lot of viruses around.
But it is the start of the nineties in the story.
So development of a virus was rare.

I'd assume that Osborne didn't expect that the virus would be caught and then would have used that access in some way to take more petty revenge.
And then there's the timing and the way the whole attack looked like, perfectionist petty.
I'd have to reread the story to see if there were references to Osborne believing that Noa didn't know much about computers, but it's the early nineties and she's a woman, so that could already be enough for him to underestimate her.

This chapter was cute in a lot of ways, but I'm a bit curious as to how a primitive computer virus found at places like these...

"Four months back, a computer outta the Baxter Building," he said, mouse cursor over a line of white text on a black box. "Seven months, Stark Industries. Eleven months, Bristol Myers Squibb. Thirteen months, Nasdaq. Aye, the list goes on," Lachland said. He shut the monitor off, and handed the computer tower back to us.

... hasn't already gotten Osborn busted. Let's presume maximum competence on Osborne's side, they won't exfiltrate the data directly to one of his servers; they'll send it to a neutral dead drop IP that can be accessed remotely, maybe even in plaintext. They still have to read that data at some point, and a sovereign power like the US Government or Stark Industries is going to simply turn that dead drop into a honey pot.

If they do send the data directly to Norman Osborne's subcontractors, the FTC should have had him in handcuffs twelve months ago.

Like, Noa is doing everything she should here, and she's right about one thing. This is brazen as hell, but isn't that itself a hint? Why did they expect to get away with it, when the virus is already known to local IT gurus with contacts in big industry? Why do they apparently keep getting away with it?

In a completely unrelated note, poor Noa. Opening the special drawers right there in front of her honorary murder-grandpa? Excruciating. Arguably worse than having her office ransacked by psuedo-neo-nazis. These gutpunch cliffhangers just keep getting worse. What's next, Daye, you sadist? Norman getting her ex-girlfriends drunk on live television? If he can't win in the markets or the courts, leave it to the Green Goblin to try daytime TV next. If it's 1990, Oprah and Geraldo should be active, but at least Jerry Springer is eight years out...

Well yeah Osborn really fucked up. He fucked up so badly using a bomb and writing "Mutant Jew" in her door would have been more subtle.

Also how come they didn't knew were the virus was sending the information? Was it using payphone numbers or what?

God I love this story so fucking much. Thanks Daye, this has to be my favourite jewish-lawyer-mutant-SI on all of SV!

Why did the espionage virus cause computers to break? Shouldn't it have been exfiltrating information while keeping ordinary function going, to not be discovered?

Edit: Ah, it hid itself, just poorly, and Joshua noticed something strange was happening.

Last edited:
So a lot of people seem to be looking at this from the lens of modern computers.

These are from a time where the height of computing interface was MS-DOS. In the 90s (I think it's the 90s? Late 80s at least), stuff was nowhere near as streamlined as today and people were way, way, way, way less tech-savvy.

This is around the Dawn of the internet, which happened when I was like… five. From hearsay I can pretty well agree that Marvel Shenaniganry aside, October's got a good bead on how this kind of thing would roll.

So a lot of people seem to be looking at this from the lens of modern computers.

These are from a time where the height of computing interface was MS-DOS. In the 90s (I think it's the 90s? Late 80s at least), stuff was nowhere near as streamlined as today and people were way, way, way, way less tech-savvy.

This is around the Dawn of the internet, which happened when I was like… five. From hearsay I can pretty well agree that Marvel Shenaniganry aside, October's got a good bead on how this kind of thing would roll.

Sure. In the real world, the first conviction under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act was United States v. Morris in 1991, but that was a Cornell student who accidentally crashed a bunch of computers with a worm which proved way more aggressive than he anticipated. He released it in MIT, largely just to see what would happen.

That's a far cry from stealing data from a major stock exchange! You're up against intelligence agencies there, even all the way back in 1989. They ought to be taking this seriously, if only to avoid insider trading. Now, maybe there really isn't an established federal response to this sort of industrial espionage in the setting, but my bet's on Hydra or something else nefarious sticking its thumb on the scale. There's no way that...

A quick google search later...

Oh god dammit, the Economic Espionage Act was passed by Bill Clinton? Holy shit, did we have any explicit laws against the theft of trade secrets in 1990?! I know that cold war counter-intel was thoroughly enmeshed in certain industries (including, for infuriating reasons, the production of photographic film). Did they operate under any legislative authority?!

I just hope that when it comes time for Noa to actually lay the legal smack down on Osborn, she has a half dozen capable friends on hand to counter whatever nastiness he pulls out when he finally loses it.
Considering Stark would have a stake on this and he knows Peter, I think, then yes she has a big ally here

"Here we are!" Rebecca Kaplan rolled up to our table, twin bowls of piping-hot Jewish Penicillin in hand, loaded to the very brim with chicken, noodles, veggies, matzah balls, and kreplach. It smelled absolutely incredible, and one of these days I would have to ask how they got such large matzah balls that stayed light and fluffy – my own go-to recipe couldn't keep them so airy without staying small. "Enjoy you two!"
Oddly enough, I know her pain here.

Either you go small and fluffy, or large and dense, and while there are rare times I have experienced large and fluffy, I hold that those rare chef's are secretly using magic.

Well, at least the Parker lawsuit is sorted in a purely legal sense; sanctions, dismissal with prejudice, attorney's fees, and a referral to the DA.

The issue being whether everyone can live to see that.

In modern times British people have better teeth that Americans.
Its always been something perpetuated by the fact that in movies Hollywood stars tend to have the cosmetic treatment but british ones don't.
That honestly might still be true, but I'm dubious that among "common" americans or british people that the american private healthcare system ever produced better average results than the NHS, however I might be under estimating diet and environmental factors.
E: Sorry this might be a derail.

It's a class thing. Like the previous scene where Noa dismisses a candidate out of hand for not wearing a suit, it thoroughly anchors the protagonist in a time, a place, and a subculture.

Americans were very conscious about dental care (and still are), because it's a matter of conspicuous consumption. Anyone without perfectly straight and shiny teeth obviously comes from an impoverished background. Good parents don't let their kids grow up with crooked teeth, unless they simply can't afford the dental bills. My teeth are pretty crooked, and it's been pointed out more than once as something that has held me back (always, always after the fact). A friend with similar childhood circumstances ended up getting his teeth straightened in his thirties, simply to have better prospects in employment and romance. Can't say it isn't tempting.

And as this growing trend of the 20th century turned into an obsession, there were the British, not giving a fuck, smiling, even on television, with disjointed dental horror shows between their lips. It became a meme.

Eventually, of course, nationalized healthcare wins the day and it wouldn't surprise me at all if British teeth are, on average, much nicer than American teeth these days. But it's not really about them, and it never was. It was about filtering out yokels from West Virginia who don't have five thousand bucks to drop on their kids' orthodontists. Jokes about the British were just a collectively comfortable way to reference the class disparities within the United States. We say, "haha, English teeth are crooked," and lower class fellas learn to smile with their lips closed.

In a hypothetical LA-based fanfic, where Noa contends with the progenitors of the Runaways (outmaneuvering time travelers in court, wouldn't that be fun?), the anchors would be different. Wearing a suit would be far less common than in New York City; maybe even forgivable for an interview with a law office? The outfits would be more colorful, at least. And the judgments on personal appearance would only start with the teeth. Everyone who isn't pretty enough for television sticks out like a sore thumb in certain parts of LA County, especially if they're under thirty. If you ever want to feel like the ugly duckling, go spend a week in North Hollywood or the other nearly-affordable neighborhoods within commuting distance of the major studios.

All this to say: sorry, couldn't think of an orthodontist-based mini-fanfic for this chapter. The well's run dry.

Edit: Ah, it hid itself, just poorly, and Joshua noticed something strange was happening.

No, it actually hid itself pretty well. 99.99% of people working at these companies (esepcially in this time frame where dial up is the height of tech) would probably not even notice the command prompt appearing for like 1 second on startup, and even if they did wouldn't realize it meant anything.

Joshua is a computer expert who's doing this as a side gig while he gets a fucking Masters in Comp Sci who is one of the .001% of people whod realize the command prompt sign a sign of Sketch Computer Stuff and not Normal Comp Startup Stuff.

No, it actually hid itself pretty well. 99.99% of people working at these companies (esepcially in this time frame where dial up is the height of tech) would probably not even notice the command prompt appearing for like 1 second on startup, and even if they did wouldn't realize it meant anything.

Joshua is a computer expert who's doing this as a side gig while he gets a fucking Masters in Comp Sci who is one of the .001% of people whod realize the command prompt sign a sign of Sketch Computer Stuff and not Normal Comp Startup Stuff.
Indeed.

Joshua going for his Masters in this particular area is the Chekhov's Gun I set up a fair few chapters back. This was always how the arc was going to work out, literally from the moment of inception.

Word to my readers: I love, love, LOVE seeding small details like this. Absolutely LOVE them. Dropping hints as to the content of an upcoming arc in a current one? That's, like, bread and butter.

Why else would I bring in Charles Xavier? Mention Gwen Stacy? Show you how Pietro is the best boy and I will hear no words against him?

And then immediately contrast Noa's care for Pietro with Erik's lingering issues surrounding fatherhood?

So, all this raises two questions for me.

1: Is Noa a top or a bottom? Who are the ropes for?
2: Would her glamour hold up to BDSM play? I mean I assume she's not going that far with anyone who isn't already in the know, but hypothetically...

So, all this raises two questions for me.

1: Is Noa a top or a bottom? Who are the ropes for?
2: Would her glamour hold up to BDSM play? I mean I assume she's not going that far with anyone who isn't already in the know, but hypothetically...

First one's actually be answered in the story- the reason Cate (IIRC) and her never worked out is literally the 'And they were both bottoms' meme :p

better question, does Pietro's mutant physiology mitigate or entirely counteract the effects of ADHD medications?

For those who are not on QQ, the ropes are a remnant of a relationship that went really bad (to the point the other person basically got ran out of town).

Back