Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Huh...wonder if Noa is going to let Peter in on part of J3's beef with Spiderman? He knows there's something up with the pictures and thinks Spiderman is either shaking Peter down for the money afterward or has some sort of black-mail (even if it only really makes sense for Peter to have the dirt to get the pictures) right? And as such has put together a fund with the most of the actual income of the extremely valuable pictures that get sold to other media groups and used for, idk, merchandising. Which Peter will have access too once he's recognized as an adult and JJJ doesn't think he's getting mugged by his own Alter-Ego.

That would probably do a lot for Peter's stress levels...at least after his Uncle's trial is decided, and until his legendary girl troubles pick up.

Marvel even made him Japanese, that doesn't mean I have to like it.
It's, like, the originally-intended take. Marvel execs have fought creators for decades to prevent Spidey from being explicitly confirmed as Jewish. Marvel's not making him Jewish, they're finally allowing small skerricks of what Spidey's creators intended him to be in that respect be shown, instead of suppressing any and all reference to it and creators only getting what they could slip through undetected out to the audience.

Last edited:
So I note at the very end there that Pete had a sudden mental shift from "there's an adult who I think disapproves of my lifestyle" teen boy brain to "oh shit there's an extremely attractive non-family woman in my room with me" teen boy brain. :p

Was Steve Ditko Jewish?
No, but Stan Lee was, as was like 90% of the comics industry back then including Marvel's owner, so I'm not sure why Ditko being Jewish or not prevents him from intending Spidey from being Jewish like most of his coworkers and several of his friends were, and despite Ditko's many laudable and sympathetic qualities, he was also an Ayn Rand adherent. While Ditko had influence Spidey not only scoffed at protestors but also fought a villain based on and named for Rand's 'Looter' archetype, so, like, considering you're on SV, maybe you don't wanna base your entire opinion of sixty years of Spidey creators' efforts solely on Ditko's values?

Last edited:
Well... who cares?

Considering its far from the first time and this has already been established to be one of the many parallel worlds in the Marvel Multiverse and not any of the canon ones currently running?

The Parkers being Jewish is just fine by me. And if it's not fine by you... you should ask yourself... why isn't it?

Because its saying something.

Peter Parker is explicitly Jewish according to his creators. Though admittedly a lot of the material, in-comics evidence is use of Yiddish and references to Jewish holidays, etc. Which as a Midwesterner WASP was just a New Yorker thing to me growing up.

The sound of the front door unlocking interrupted what Ben was going to say, and I found myself a little surprised by how good his hearing still was. When I heard 'war buddy from Korea', I assumed some measure of hearing damage because of proximity to gunfire. He noticed the sound as quickly as I did, and my hearing was literally superhuman.

Huh. This, combined with the comment about slightly better than perfect vision being the most common mutant trait, makes me wonder if Ben might not be entirely baseline, which raises questions about whether he has any additional abilities or if this iteration of spiderman is any different from the standard.

Peter Parker is explicitly Jewish according to his creators. Though admittedly a lot of the material, in-comics evidence is use of Yiddish and references to Jewish holidays, etc. Which as a Midwesterner WASP was just a New Yorker thing to me growing up.

As someone who lives near New York, and isn't Jewish, bits of Yiddish have definitely made it into my lexicon but referencing a Jewish holiday without a direct reason to would be a bit more unusual.

Excellent chapter as always. I'll admit I'm surprised that this is the first version of Spider-Man I've with Uncle Ben as the surviving parental figure; it's a very fun twist on the concept.
Marvel even made him Japanese, that doesn't mean I have to like it.
You say that like it's a problem that the Parkers are being portrayed as Jewish.

Last edited:
Huh. This, combined with the comment about slightly better than perfect vision being the most common mutant trait, makes me wonder if Ben might not be entirely baseline, which raises questions about whether he has any additional abilities or if this iteration of spiderman is any different from the standard
Huh... He is a Korean war veteran, perhaps Isaiah Bradley is also one of his old war buddies.

Maybe Aunt May was catholic (IIRC she gets openly portrayed as catholic numerous times) and Uncle Ben was jewish. When Uncle Ben died, Aunt May's catholicism became a bigger influence on the (still mostly non-religious) Peter, while here since Uncle Ben survived, the family becomes more explicitly jewish.

Edit: wait, wouldn't that make Peter technically non-jewish? Hmmm.

Edit-2: Aaaactually, Peter's adopted, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
As someone who lives near New York, and isn't Jewish, bits of Yiddish have definitely made it into my lexicon but referencing a Jewish holiday without a direct reason to would be a bit more unusual.
I mean, he's a high school student, and because of the number of teachers (and students) who were/are Jewish, the NYC school system gives us a lot of them off (Rosh Hashanah is usually the first day off we get after the school year starts after Labor Day, and we then get Yom Kippur off later in the month too, and then Passover is usually rolled into our Spring Break as well).

Same reason why they now get Lunar New Year off as well (actually, DeBlasio had to be shamed into it even though it was one of his original campaign promises to pander to the Asian vote, but Cuomo was going to steal a March on him by doing it first statewide, so he added it to the school holiday calendar as part of the oneupmanship war he had with our former Governor).

Peter might be aware of Jewish holidays just because they're days he gets off of school, like how I was aware of them growing up.

Last edited:
Maybe Aunt May was catholic (IIRC she gets openly portrayed as catholic numerous times) and Uncle Ben was jewish. When Uncle Ben died, Aunt May's catholicism became a bigger influence on the (still mostly non-religious) Peter, while here since Uncle Ben survived, the family becomes more explicitly jewish.

Edit: wait, wouldn't that make Peter technically non-jewish? Hmmm.

Edit-2: Aaaactually, Peter's adopted, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Also you may want to rethink your logic.

Peter is Uncle Ben's nephew by blood, and Aunt May's by marriage. If Uncle Ben was raised Jewish, then it stands to reason Peter's dad was also raised Jewish. And let's be real, there's a high likelihood he married a nice Jewish girl. The pressure from Jewish moms to marry a nice Jewish boy/girl is very, very strong.

Also you may want to rethink your logic.

Peter is Uncle Ben's nephew by blood, and Aunt May's by marriage. If Uncle Ben was raised Jewish, then it stands to reason Peter's dad was also raised Jewish. And let's be real, there's a high likelihood he married a nice Jewish girl. The pressure from Jewish moms to marry a nice Jewish boy/girl is very, very strong.
It's... Sort of what I was getting at in my edits. If Peter's blood father married a jewish woman, then Peter's jewish regardless of Aunt May's status.

I think it would be simpler to portray Aunt May as catholic, particularly since her maiden name was Reilly (a very irish surname), but it's your story, and putting an interesting spin on things is one of the best parts of fan works.

Personally, I'm learning a lot of things about judaism from this story, so I don't exactly mind.

Last edited:
Peter's arms fell to the sides, the sudden mental whiplash and cognitive dissonance clearly tossing him for a bit of a loop. Here he had drawn up this mental image of me as yet another Jameson, just younger and prettier.

Goodness would Peter's life be a bit more confusing if he found JJJ to be the prettier one. Flustered by a boss who enrages you? No thank you. The teen has enough trouble in his life.

Stan Lee in a book claimed he basically created all the Marvel characters, that is false and it was done due to the legal troubles Marvel had at the time. As a result I think Stephen John Ditko should be given the credit he deserves.

Last edited:
I mean, he's a high school student, and because of the number of teachers (and students) who were/are Jewish, the NYC school system gives us a lot of them off (Rosh Hashanah is usually the first day off we get after the school year starts after Labor Day, and we then get Yom Kippur off later in the month as well, Passover is usually rolled into our Spring Break as well). Same reason why we now get Lunar New Year off as well (actually, DeBlasio had to be shamed into it even though it was one of his campaign promises, but Cuomo was going to steal a March on him by doing it first, so he added it to the school holiday calendar as part of the oneupmanship war he had with our former Governor).

Peter might be aware of Jewish holidays just because they're days he gets off of school, like how I was aware of them growing up.

I thought the original comment was about his more adult canon portrayals. It makes more sense that a student would be aware of Jewish holidays. ... Do people not get the big ones off in the rest of the country?

I thought the original comment was about his more adult canon portrayals. It makes more sense that a student would be aware of Jewish holidays. ... Do people not get the big ones off in the rest of the country?

Depends on the school district. Some give only Jewish students off, others let Jewish students off early, and further others plan existent times off to coincide with Jewish holidays.

And there are likely those who don't give any time off at all/require the parents to explicitly remove their child from class for the day.

Considering how many people took the lego space sets and made them into original Star Wars ships and fighters?(Me included)

...yeah, screw a pre-designed model. Peter is brilliant enough that he probably got all the grey bricks and everything else for it over months or years and built it himself of his own design.

The joy of Lego has always been you can make anything from them. Especially without the need to follow directions.
*nods* My brother and I built a couple (small scale) USS Enterprises with our lego, , and my brother once built his own version of a 'Voltron' style robot that separated into 5 spaceships. you could do a lot with Lego beyond following the build instructions. :)

Three bowls.

Two of the bowls have keys in them.

One of the bowls also has a wallet in it.

One of the bowls is empty.

Therefore, one bowl has keys, one has keys + wallet, the last one is empty.
and presumably the bowls are for Ben (wallet and keys), Peter (empty since he was out of the house), and May ( :( now the 'spare' keys)

Back