Life Ore Death - DC Feruchemy [Young Justice]

Good grief, where do villains come up with these plans?
Still, after reading that synopsis I'm really looking forward to seeing how events play out in this continuity. It will be good for Billy to have a buddy jumping worlds with him.

Title ideas:
  • Absence
  • The Travails of Youth
  • Roanoke
  • When We Were Young
Of those already suggested, I like Generation Gap, The Divide, Atium and Lightning, and Coming of Age.

Was this Mayor Hill, because he's the current mayor, but there will be eventual elections.

In Simon Dark, it turns out the local grand poobahs of the supernatural community call themselves Mayor.

The previous Mayor was the demon that the cult that brought Simon Dark to live served, so by killing him Simon became the grand magical poobah of Gotham, aka Mayor.

I can only assume that neither Etrigan nor Blood wanted the position, because barring Dr Gotham I doubt there's anything more powerful magically in Gotham then either of them.

Anyway, as for name suggestion, only one comes to mind- Chaos, Order, and Ruin.

Hmm, there's a lot to be done with the whole childhood theme of that episode. Specifically, how it sort of was an attack on children.

• Snuffing the Torch
    • Obvious inversion of passing the torch.
  • Lord of Flies
    • The Lord of Flies is demon, The Lord of the Flies is a novel about children without adults, so it works on two levels.
  • Orphaned Destiny
    • All the children in the world are now without parents, and it's about Fate.
  • Innocence's Rapture
    • It's not the Rapture of the Innocent, but rather of Innocence. Innocence is leaving the world.
  • You're still young, that's your fault
    • Part of the lyrics of a Cat Stevens, but rather then being a comforting statement about how you have time to grow up, on it's own it's blaming you for being young.

The universal nature of it also sort of draws to mind apocalyptic imagery.

• Those left behind
  • It's the End of the World as we know it
Hmm, there's also elements of division and separation you could play with, but no really good ones come to mind.

Whoa, a lot of good responses on the first day alone. I'll let it sit a bit, and then I might put it to a vote later....

If the story sticked to showing Billy's heroism on screen in the next arc instead of now I would suggest 'Coming of Age', but as it is it doesn't strike me as appropriate.
Things will be sufficiently different that I made sure to have him do that in Episode 24, because something else happens in 25.
Good grief, where do villains come up with these plans?
In this case, I believe the writers cribbed it off of a similar JLAU episode where the protagonist adults also got turned into children, since they didn't have any usually underage main characters.

And that show may have cribbed it off of a comic where somehting similar happened via a genie, I'm not sure.

Klarion himself? It causes chaos, he's Klarion the Witch Boy, and he doesn't need a lot of other reasons for it.

Off the top of my head, I'm getting good feelings about these ones, but we've still got several days.
Generation Gap.
Freakiest Friday.
Separation Trial (/Trial Separation)
Childhood's Hour
[I especially like the article/poem/song included in the original post, so take a look --Obloquy]
The Travails of Youth

This following one, not so much for #25, but I might use it for the title 2 or 3 episodes after this.
Target Demographics.

I'm all dried up on title ideas for the episode.
And here was me worried that there was a real problem.
Events will involve the general sequence of Misplaced as in canon, where on November 5 a cabal of magic users led by Klarion splits the world in two, with kids & adults on opposite halves. People, naturally, freak the flip out.
Will Renka be able to jump forward and back like Captain Marvel?

Will Renka be able to jump forward and back like Captain Marvel?

Yeah she will.

Also, A World Without Grown-Ups is going to be super interesting b/c I'm pretty sure she can use atium to toggle between the worlds like Billy Batson/Captain Marvel.
Yeah, I don't even consider it a spoiler to confirm that this is going to happen, because it's so ridiculously obvious.
The rest of what happens, well... I hope I pull the plan off as well on text as it is in my head.

I usually just start the new paragraph when there's a distinctly new idea, or someone new starts to say something. Mummy-costume-girl is humming as she mulls over what Captain Marvel said, and then she moves to a new thought and says it, which I have in the new paragraph. Zatanna is slipping around for the hug about the same time Wally is speaking, but she waits for him to finish, after she'd started the hug, before she voices an opinion of her own. That's the convention I learned for pacing.

Standard practice for paragraph breaks is that you should start a new paragraph any time you're going into a new idea, or when a new character is acting. The part that trips a lot of people up is that "talking" and "making observations" both count as actions, and the second especially can make things a bit fuzzy.

So, to follow up on my previous question about DC magic, nobody has contradicted me yet so I'll assume it's close enough?
Could someone confirm for me how magic works in the DC universe? I'm trying to figure out how significant it is that Renka was able to work this spell. Here's how I'm interpreting things--please correct me if I'm wrong:
Individuals have different affinities, but magic is available to basically anyone. If they'd wanted to, Wally or Artemis could have tried the ritual and had a chance of it working. Whether Greta deigned to respond would depend on a combination of the caster's spiritual nature and the way they presented themselves, but the option would have been there. Renka's polite approach and her extra Ruinous essence give her an edge, but it's not terribly surprising that she's able to do these things. Yay, nay?

What I'm wondering now is whether the inherent ability to spellcast is something that Renka could store in a nicrosil mind. She already discussed with Wally the possibility of strategic storing/tapping her feruchemal strength so that difficult feats of feruchemy become easier. Is magical ability in the DC system something she could manipulate that way? If so, that's really useful. Since she isn't usually casting spells, she could spend most of her time storing to build up a charge so that when she needs to she can tap it all at once to enable more powerful spellwork than what she is normally capable of accomplishing.

Edit: Unrelated, but also wanted to mention that iron-atium is going to be awkward since neither her clothes not her metal minds will change size with her. Getting it to work usefully will take substantially more planning than I had assumed.

Last edited:
Magic in Young Justice, and in LOD
Could someone confirm for me how magic works in the DC universe? I'm trying to figure out how significant it is that Renka was able to work this spell. Here's how I'm interpreting things--please correct me if I'm wrong:
Individuals have different affinities, but magic is available to basically anyone. If they'd wanted to, Wally or Artemis could have tried the ritual and had a chance of it working. Whether Greta deigned to respond would depend on a combination of the caster's spiritual nature and the way they presented themselves, but the option would have been there. Renka's polite approach and her extra Ruinous essence give her an edge, but it's not terribly surprising that she's able to do these things. Yay, nay?
So, to follow up on my previous question about DC magic, nobody has contradicted me yet so I'll assume it's close enough?

What I'm wondering now is whether the inherent ability to spellcast is something that Renka could store in a nicrosil mind. She already discussed with Wally the possibility of strategic storing/tapping her feruchemal strength so that difficult feats of feruchemy become easier. Is magical ability in the DC system something she could manipulate that way? If so, that's really useful. Since she isn't usually casting spells, she could spend most of her time storing to build up a charge so that when she needs to she can tap it all at once to enable more powerful spellwork than what she is normally capable of accomplishing.
Whoops, I meant to address your Q the first time, but I think I futzed around and accidentally deleted that part of the quote. Sorry.

So. Regarding magic, Young Justice displays it in the plot, but hasn't defined a lot of the details as of yet. Word of Greg has said, "I think of magic as the substance and sorcery as the manipulation of that substance. But I'm not sure if we've been terribly consistent about it." That's just semantics, and I'm not sure if I've followed it at all in Life Ore Death given Ferris's use of the word investiture, but I'll probably have someone bring it up in-universe when the talks get more in-depth.

Beyond that, we can extrapolate a few things about canon from what we see in the show.
  1. Magic takes training and practice to learn, since Atlantis has a multi-year Academy/Conservatory devoted to the subject, and Zatanna is also still learning.
  2. Genetic heritage, as well as personal affinity both are beneficial for learning magic. We do not have indications as to when or whether they are necessary for sorcery; Zatanna appears to have inherited her style of magic, and we haven't seen anyone else use it, but she's applied it to other types of spells.
  3. There are multiple types, sources, and styles of magic, which we've seen can overlap and co-operate. Zatanna applied her personal magic to the ancient Isis ritual, Tula used Babylonian magic to seal Tiamat, Klarion mockingly spoke backwards while casting at her on Roanoke, and chances are the cabal aren't all specifically Chaos mages but they still could co-operate with Klarion to cast the spell that divided the world.
  4. Magic can be controlled through spoken words, but the specifics can vary: Wotan (supposedly Norse) and Kent Nelson usually use Latin, the Zatara family has backwards talk, and the ritual on Roanoke had them all speaking in German. Powerful users like Klarion and Fate have been shown not using words, but Kent Nelson did, and Klarion did on Roanoke. I think Lori did with the translation spell, but most Atlanteans haven't spoken.
  5. According to Zatanna, magic users still have to provide the energy to power spell use from somewhere. Usually the user provides the energy, though where they got it from, the possible effects of running out, and how they replace it are left ambiguous. Multiple casters can pool their energy (vis. Roanoke).
  6. Significant symbols, patterns, and runes have been used in many forms of magic. Kaldur has visible tattoos that glow, while other Atlantis-style users just have similar patterns start glowing on their skin without tattoos (or maybe the tattoos are invisible). Klarion had a geometric pattern circle on Roanoke, a small one briefly formed at his feet while fighting at the Tower of Fate, and almost all of Fate's order spells, as well many of Kent Nelson's, had Ankhs show up. Again, Zatanna mostly hasn't used these, but she did in the temple to Isis when she crashed the Scarabs.
  7. Unclear if hand gestures are necessary, or just habitual.
  8. Lastly, objects can possess/bestow inherent magical properties (Sword of Beowulf, glamour charm), can be used to assist the use of magic (water-bearers, Kent Nelson's cane), and/or both. The jewel in Klarion's Roanoke ritual also probably fit in somehow, but the details are indeterminate.
So, there's a lot to work with there, but still some limits. Much of your interpretation looks to be accurate, and given the presence in DC (if not in canon YJ specifically) of anthropomorphic personifications (the Endless) and (Zeus exists off-screen in Young Justice) divine beings...

Hmm, how do I phrase this?

Okay, I haven't actually seen the MCU Dr. Strange movie, but supposedly the Ancient One has a quote where she compares spell formula controlling reality to computer programs manipulating and altering digital data. I like this.

Beings like the Endless, etc., wouldn't just be more powerful, they'd also have administrator access over certain parts of reality with sub-routines running that humans couldn't handle, and mortal casters would be like people in the Matrix manipulating the digital world.

I'm not sure if magical energy would be better compared to electricity or processing power - both are imperfect metaphors in my opinion - but I hope the comparisons gets the gist across. It's less obvious than in universes like Discworld, but in the Cosmere one use of the word investiture is to describe the basic building block substance the universe; I'm of the opinion it's not too different on Earth-16.

Individual affinities are a matter of them being more closely connected to certain approaches or sources due to their past experiences, mind-set, or personality. So there aren't elemental affinities like in Naruto (unless you practice a style that sets you into an elemental affinity as part of your instruction) and an affinity can change over time as the person changes, but yeah.

'Magic' is theoretically available to everyone, because it's everywhere, in everything, in a bunch of different ways. Baseline humans in particular (though theoretically any extant being, especially sentient & sapient ones, with souls,) have enough excess that they can try to siphon off or scoop up a little and use it in a spell.

If they have an affinity toward whatever it is, that makes the exchange more efficient, so they have enough of the energy at the end to fuel the effect they. If not, it fizzles. Much like muscles develop with exercise, magic gets easier and more efficient with practice.

Runic patterns and spoken words, etc., make it easier by either providing some extra energy or making the transfer of energy >> magic >> effect more efficient. Significant times and places do the same, maybe by bringing the source metaphysically closer to strengthen the connection (like the astral world & afterlife being closer to the material world around Halloween, so it takes less to link them).

Ergo, yes, Artemis and Wally could have tried the ritual Renka did. Because Artemis had met Secret, interacted with her, and recognized her, they had enough of a connection that it would've worked even without the All Saints' Day timing.

The thinning of the barrier around All Saints' Day meant anyone who wasn't a total amateur and a complete stranger would probably have pulled it off, but only because Greta has been recently active, hasn't crossed over to an afterlife plane yet, etc. Either of them trying it any other time might or might not work, depending on other variables, and if Greta crossed over to an afterlife it would get many times harder.

Renka doing it with her affinities, and her stated respectful presentation, and Artemis & Zatanna nearby to "establish her credentials" would have been overkill if she were an Earth-16 human, but being from Scadrial her meta-physique isn't shaped the exact same way. She still made the minimum threshold, though, but her trying that without any of those elements would have at least 50-50 odds of flopping.

The biggest help was that the ritual was designed to reach Greta, who was inherently magical, and have her do the 'heavy lifting' involved for most of it, since she's better able to. Otherwise... well, there reasons the average person doesn't attend a genuine seance more often. A lot of them fail, and so it's not easily scientifically provable until you get someone who knows what they're doing.

No, Ferris is not able to store casting ability in her nicrosil-mind, because it's designed for Cosmere-style abilities and this type of magic didn't exist the same way over there.

That said, there are tricks she can do and she will be using them when she learns & grows enough. The end result, though, is that outside of feruchemy, Ferris is never going to be a high-powered, flashy evocation style magic user. Which isn't to say she won't have a lot of options.

She won't exactly be like John Constantine, but their approaches will have more than a few similarities, in terms of bargains, getting other forces to 'foot the bill,' relying on guile & preparation, etc. I've already got an arc or two planned around this.

She won't exactly be like John Constantine, but their approaches will have more than a few similarities, in terms of bargains, getting other forces to 'foot the bill,' relying on guile & preparation, etc. I've already got an arc or two planned around this.

So less of a Mage and more of a knowledgeable Magic Technician. In Programming terms, a script kiddy. :whistle:

You could treat an elemental affinity (IE for Fire based magic) as a larger sized capacity for that kind which grows at the same rate as your general ability grows. You always code best in the first language you master (not learn, master). In some settings the reason for having an affinity is that you were exposed to that type somehow and it opened you up to it.

The idea of 'opening' magical ability is also a common theme, that someone who already has skills with it can lead you through a process which opens up your minimal affinities into something more... From the programming point of view that is stepping through the debugger with a neophyte, showing them what each step of some tricky bit of code does.

Okay, I haven't actually seen the MCU Dr. Strange movie, but supposedly the Ancient One has a quote where she compares spell formula controlling reality to computer programs manipulating and altering digital data. I like this.

Also pretty much how Tim Hunter describes it to a shaman girl from another planet at the White School, except his analogy wasn't so high tech.

Magic is the language of the universe. By changing the name for something, you change the something.

A macguffin was the book that has the true name of the universe in it, which the bad guy wanted to use to destroy the universe and recreate it to bring humanity back to the garden of eden.

And I congratulate you., you've done a good job of describing magic as per DC canon.

One thing I would clarify is that magic is very much a form of energy in DC, not only has it been shown to be subject of manipulation by energy manipulators- The Weird can manipulate magic just like it/he can manipulate electricity or radiation, Mantis can drain magic just like he can drain other forms of energy, Kryptonians can use their innate powers to cast magic if the sunlight they're absorbing is magical, but magic users can convert other forms of energy into magic to power their spells. Arion of Atlantis once caused an ice age by draining too much energy from the sun, Elphias Levi powers his magic from electricity from his wall socket, Avatar powered a spell from Captain Atom's connection to the Quantum Field, Jason Blood knows how to power his magic from the piezoeletrical field of the Earth, in League of Justice the wizard Luthorr powered his magic from kryptonite, etc.

Also it's not a requirement to have a soul. Sebastian Faust and Abra Kadabra both lost their souls to Hell but gained magic in return, Felix Faust, not being homo magi, gained his magical power by selling his soul to hell, buying it back, and then reselling it, rinse and repeat.

And Stalker sold his soul to the god of evil, lies, and war, and learned how to highlander magic enemies he defeated which eventually allowed him to take on the entire JSA.

Plus Black Lantern Zatara could cast spells.

Felix Faust, not being homo magi, gained his magical power by selling his soul to hell, buying it back, and then reselling it, rinse and repeat.
It should be noted that being a homo magi is not necessary to become a magic user. It just makes it much easier. I wouldn't even really consider it a subspecies so much as just people who carry a gene that optimizes magic growth, no different from people with metabolisms that let them fall into shape and gain muscle easily.

Thank you for the thorough explanation. I learned a lot.
Renka doing it with her affinities, and her stated respectful presentation, and Artemis & Zatanna nearby to "establish her credentials" would have been overkill if she were an Earth-16 human, but being from Scadrial her meta-physique isn't shaped the exact same way.
Interesting. I would not have expected that to be such a handicap to her. Given the attention she drew from the other apparition, I had assumed she was more capable rather than less. Or more accurately, that her affinities as the Sliver counted far more then her foreignness.

I absolutely endorse the decision to take things this direction, though. Keeping her meta capabilities focused on Feruchemy and related interactions makes her far more interesting.

Unrelated: I am a little surprised that in all their wordplay none of the team have tried to make jokes about Ferris the Terris. It rhymes! Admittedly they wouldn't be good jokes, but that's never stopped Wally or Robin before (or Renka, for that matter).

It should be noted that being a homo magi is not necessary to become a magic user. It just makes it much easier. I wouldn't even really consider it a subspecies so much as just people who carry a gene that optimizes magic growth, no different from people with metabolisms that let them fall into shape and gain muscle easily.

Of course it's not necessary, the bit you quoted was about how a non homo magus got some personal mojo to tap.

A DC character had a nice quote about it- "You're pure magic. That's it, isn't it? There's no lien on your soul, no price to pay for your skills. It's as natural to you as breathing. Just mutter some backwards bullshit and thy will be done. That's not fair! Shall I tell you of the innocents I've sacrificed... or the years I've traded off my life for the smallest fraction of your power?"

Sources of supernatural power in DC include dealing with demons (the Fausts for example), demonic possession (The Enchantress), non human ancestry (Raven, Circe, Ra-man), magic artifacts (Sargon, La Encantadora), divine blessing (Captain Marvel), etc.

And it's not really a matter of magical growth, it's about having innate power to tap. Occultists without a power up (like the multiple ones I mentioned above) are to use an analogy, riding a bicycle. Homo magi have a motorcycle between their legs.

Some of the most famous magic users in DC aren't homo magi though. Nabu, aka Dr Fate, is a being made 14.5 billion years ago by God, essentially an angel of order.

The wizard Shazam? Probably not homo magus. Like Captain Marvel he was a divine champion before he became a wizard. Billy Batson was shown tapping into that spell to power spells when he replaced Shazam, Shazam probably did the same thing. Plus the Rock of Eternity is solid magic. And he became a lord of order. So he has three power sources to tap to power magic, whether he has a fourth is pretty immaterial.

Tim Hunter? Might or might not be homo magus, since he literally has more than one set of parents it's probably safe to say that some versions of his story have him be homo magus and some don't. But as the Merlin, he's the personification of magic, he doesn't need a personal source of magic when he can mainline the universe.

Arion of Atlantis? Not a homo magus, his magic went away when the Dark Dimension woke up, drying off his supply. He learned how to tap magic artifacts to power his magic, Superman once defeated him by wrecking his supply of magic items.

Alan Scott? Magic ring. His children inherited magic power from that exposure, his daughter Jade is basically a magic elemental in human flesh.

Oh speaking of the Rock of Eternity being solid magic, that was a plot point in Legion of Superheroes, someone was trying to make magic disappear by getting an idiot to use up all the magic of the rock. So the Legion empowered themselves with the rock of eternity to fight him, which looked like

You have no idea how happy I am that somebody else remembers La Encantadora exists. My understanding is that, after about two Superman storylines in which she featured, the writers forgot she existed, which is a shame since there was a lot of interesting stuff that could have been done with her.

Alan Scott? Magic ring. His children inherited magic power from that exposure, his daughter Jade is basically a magic elemental in human flesh.
See, that always fascinated me. The Emotional Spectrum is one of the few powers that doesn't fit into either magic, science, biology or bullshit. Although DC tends to be better about the bullshit than Marvel. Alan's ring is a magic equivalent to the technological green lantern rings and the Maltusians seem to be able to manifest it directly. I've always wanted to see a fic about a planet where mages figured out how to tap Emotional Light and designed this whole magic system based on it.

I mean, it kinda is bullshit. Just entertaining bullshit.
Yeah but I meant more fantastic four levels of "you just got hit with space radiation so now you can stretch, turn invisible/create forcefields, and set yourself on fire at will. Also the fourth one is made of gravel forever. Fuck you." It doesn't give the same types of powers or even powers related to what happened and it's not magic since they aren't mages, it's not biology since they're human and it's not science since there wasn't even a lab experiment gone wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah but I meant more fantastic four levels of "you just got hit with space radiations so now you can stretch, turn invisible/create forcefields, and set yourself on fire at will. Also the fourth one is made of gravel forever. Fuck you."

I mean, it's equally implausible that those seven emotions have power, but things like despair and joy don't.

I mean, it's equally implausible that those seven emotions have power, but things like despair and joy don't.
I've liked the sub-colors theories but actually that's based on this one psychological study with a wheel of emotion. Just missing joy. But anyway, it's not bullshit because it's internally consistent. "Seven emotions generate/control energy from seven alternate dimensions. Also they're colorful"

I've liked the sub-colors theories but actually that's based on this one psychological study with a wheel of emotion. Just missing joy. But anyway, it's not bullshit because it's internally consistent. "Seven emotions generate/control energy from seven alternate dimensions. Also they're colorful"

Wasn't the excuse with the Fantastic Four that they all had metagenes that were activated by the radiation, not unlike the Hulk? Because that's about as internally consistent as the Spectrum.

Note: I like the Spectrum a lot. It's got a lot of potential for stories. I just happen to also think it makes basically no sense, especially with the whole "these seven emotions somehow make up the entirety of life when combined" thing.

You have no idea how happy I am that somebody else remembers La Encantadora exists. My understanding is that, after about two Superman storylines in which she featured, the writers forgot she existed, which is a shame since there was a lot of interesting stuff that could have been done with her.
Never heard of her before but this lady stole Supermans cape? Was its status as his baby blanket retconned because that doesn't seem like something that would be left as what looks like a twist ending to a one off.

Lourdes Lucero (New Earth)

Back