Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
NEXT WEEK ON SHINING VIRTUE ANGELIC HEART!!!

Invidia has been defeated, but Inessa is being held hostage by the Abyssal Forest! Temperantia, Diligentia and Michael stage a perilous rescue attempt. Meanwhile, Chiro considers what she wants to do now that her power of envy has shattered. Just when it seems like all hope seems lost, a surprising ally arrives on stage!

Tune in for Episode 29: Truth in the Mirror; A Saint Arrives on a Gentle Breeze
Also can I just say I have literally never, in my life, been this hyped by a next episode preview. And I watched Gurren-Lagann while it was airing.

No, that's Superbia. I know they have a lot in common, but her dad doesn't have any beef with the Saints.
No, I meant that now that Chiro is powerless, she can't live in the castle anymore, and needs a new house.

Anyway. Curious to see how things develop. Seems the Saints will get their asses kicked in spite of Chiro's belief they always win. She will rescue them, but she doesn't seem to be at the level of self acceptance to become a Saint yet.
Also, think this is the first time Inessa disappeared for this long. Her parents aren't gonna be feeling well. Is disappearing for days even that common, for victims of resinner attacks?
What weapon do you think Chiro will have? Thinking some sword that's also a tuning fork.

No, I meant that now that Chiro is powerless, she can't live in the castle anymore, and needs a new house.

Anyway. Curious to see how things develop. Seems the Saints will get their asses kicked in spite of Chiro's belief they always win. She will rescue them, but she doesn't seem to be at the level of self acceptance to become a Saint yet.
Also, think this is the first time Inessa disappeared for this long. Her parents aren't gonna be feeling well. Is disappearing for days even that common, for victims of resinner attacks?
What weapon do you think Chiro will have? Thinking some sword that's also a tuning fork.
We're pretty solidly in the middle of the (first major arc) climax here. Darkest hour, bad guys are out of Dark Generals, both the hero and the protagonist hitting major turning points in their emotional arcs, dark magical girl (and enby? I hope?) converting...We're gonna see a fair number of status quo changes here, is what I'm saying, and the magical ones are gonna shake our before the mundane ones.

Last edited:
No, that's Superbia. I know they have a lot in common, but her dad doesn't have any beef with the Saints.
Some context which may be relevant: I think it's funny to imply that an incarnation of sin is mostly indistinguishable from the protagonist's dad.

Anyways, I'm willing to bet that Superbia will keep her around for a while. If nothing else, threatening her will make Inessa less likely to escape. Once that's resolved, I predict about 45% odds that No One decides to live with the Brandts and 30% that Inessa drags her home before she can make a decision.
(14% that she moves in with Ida; 9% that she goes wherever Temperance lives; 2% that she, Avaritia, and Temperance squat in the newly-vacated Abyssal castle.)

We're pretty solidly in the middle of the (first major arc) climax here. Darkest hour, bad guys are out of Dark Generals, both the hero and the protagonist hitting major turning points in their emotional arcs, dark magical girl (and enby? I hope?) converting...We're gonna see a fair number of status quo changes here, is what I'm saying, and the magical ones are gonna shake our before the mundane ones.
True, but launching the rescue and Chiro being nicer to herself seem like they'll take enough time she'll need food and shelter. Though I guess the fact she accepted being kinder to herself means she'll seek the Brandts or her other friends

I love this chapter but I'm a sad that Inessa and Chiro did not have a fist fight while untransformed in Inessa house (3AM) while screaming at each other in the top of their lungs

So like I'm pretty sure that Chiro is going to become the saint of Charity since I feel like that's her defining virtue. And honesty Caritas sounding like Castitas is superbly ironic and highlights that no matter what she and Inessa are and will always be Sisters no matter what. But like...it will be a little funny if after Chiro accepts herself and goes home as herself the Brandts start shipping her with Inessa and as one Chiro look at each other and respond with a resounding "Ew Gross! She's my Sister!"

Last edited:
True, but launching the rescue and Chiro being nicer to herself seem like they'll take enough time she'll need food and shelter. Though I guess the fact she accepted being kinder to herself means she'll seek the Brandts or her other friends
It's not like she could go back to her father or stay were she is, so that would make sense

I love this chapter but I'm a sad that Inessa and Chiro did not have a fist fight while untransformed in Inessa house (3AM) while screaming at each other in the top of their lungs
Admittedly, that's how most of the queer friend groups I've been in irl would have handled it.

So like I'm pretty sure that Chiro is going to become the saint of Charity since I feel like that's her defining virtue. And honesty Caritas sounding like Castitas is superbly ironic and highlights that no matter what she and Inessa are and will always be Sisters no matter what. But like...it will be a little funny if after Chiro accepts herself and goes home as herself the Brandts start shipping her with Inessa and as one Chiro look at each other and respond with a resounding "Ew Gross! She's my Sister!"
Eh. For one thing, the one previous example we have of a Beast flipping is Gluttony to Temperance, its opposite. Avaritia is also just about as generous a person as she can be while still being greed-themed, so I'm expecting her to end up with the same result. I'm also seriously inclined to believe in the thread assumption that the protagonist will become Saint Humanitas since her whole arc has been her being kind to everyone else, and as Inessa called out this chapter, she'll be able to move forward when she starts being kind to herself.

I also firmly doubt she's keeping the magical copy of Inessa's body. That would make no thematic sense at all.

Also I ship Invidinessa and will be mad at a sisterzone, albeit I do understand that as an interpretation

I also firmly doubt she's keeping the magical copy of Inessa's body. That would make no thematic sense at all.

Also I ship Invidinessa and will be mad at a sisterzone, albeit I do understand that as an interpretation

Strictly speaking, the magical twinning shouldn't stop you from shipping it, and getting adopted is more a formal legal thing anyway right?

Strictly speaking, the magical twinning shouldn't stop you from shipping it, and getting adopted is more a formal legal thing anyway right?
It's up to the characters how to interpret it. I sincerely doubt the Brandts would do a formal adoption of an eighteen year old, as she wouldn't need a legal guardian anyway, just maybe financial and legal support. The fact that they've been bffs for most of their lives would do more to potentially scuttle a ship than any actions taken from this point, but again, that's up to how they would want to define their relationship.

And I never said anything about stopping shipping it, I'll just be mildly disappointed if it's not canon. Shipping is notoriously immune to text, after all.

Last edited:
okay but I can't be the only one to notice Inessa using the word kindness and kind exactly and specifically over and over again and all the prior sign posting that they were looking for a kind person as a probable saint, right?

like. I will be very slightly flabbergasted if Chiro does not wind up Saint of Kindness.

A day later and my thoughts keep wandering back to Inessa's super powerup hug...

Chiro's needed that for a long time... what a great moment

I already have my high grade copium prepared

See even if Inessa has been allowed to openly show interest in women in Shining Virtue Angelic Heart, there's no way Toei (who is clearly the hypothetical publisher here) would allow an actual WLW romance on screen. Temperence and Avaritia (for the purposes of engaging with censors) have the benefit of being secondary characters and have the privilege of doing whatever they want off screen, but Inessa will never get beyond failed attempts at flirting under normal circumstances.

However, what the execs will allow is for her to move in with another girl who historians would say was her best friend. Hell, they're basically like family. Maybe Michael will even stay and hang out and they can take care of her together. They're totally not a couple though. Just the closest you're allowed to get to showing one, that's all.

As is tradition.

Last edited:
Kinda weird how 90s anime were more okay with flat-out saying "Yep, they're gay" (e.g. Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Utena) than later.

Though granted, the Utena manga was pretty bad when it came to straightwashing, and someone will bring up the Sailor Moon DiC dub if I don't

Kinda weird how 90s anime were more okay with flat-out saying "Yep, they're gay" (e.g. Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Utena) than later.

Though granted, the Utena manga was pretty bad when it came to straightwashing, and someone will bring up the Sailor Moon DiC dub if I don't
Utena's deal came about as a difference of vision between anime director Kunihiko Ikuhara and mangaka Chiho Saito. Ikuhara viewed the central relationship as romantic and Saito viewed it as a friendship (and likewise also just wrote completely differeng plots for Juri). The anime (and movie) interpretation is obviously what's stuck in population consciousness, especially in the anglosphere, but it is worth noting that the lack of wlw romance in the manga was a creator choice and not one foisted by a publisher or sponsor.

As for general trends, Japan, like much of the world, experienced backlash to LGBTQ reputation in media as creators pushed boundaries. Textual queerness in 90's anime was edgy, weird, and provocative, and also much rarer in broadcast anime compared to film or OVA releases, which were just the wild goddamn west in terms of content (notably, even the turboqueer Utena anime lacked a kiss or a romantic I love you between the leads - you needed the theatrical film for that).

Moving into the 00s and 10s, you had some backslash against that. Kid-targeted series like Pretty Cure could allow for cutesy homoromanticism, but were designed to play it too safe to ever indulge in "edgy" content, while more teen and adult shows could happily acknowledge that gay people exist for a joke or fanservice without ever pursuing anything but predictable heteronormative relationships in their text.

Yes, I am old enough to have been a Haruhi fan, why do you ask.

As anime became more homogenized between a handful of production companies and sponsors, you started to see comparatively fewer "edgy queer" stories without LGBTQ narratives ever really being pushed into the mainstream in their place until relatively recently- and even stories that do put queer characters and relationships front and center have to fight an uphill battle against the soulless forces of marketing, as seen with my earlier complaints about Bandai's handling of Mobile Suit Gundam Witch from Mercury, or the fact that I'm In Love With The Villainess, the unapologetically turbolesbian originator of the "otome game isekai" light novel, is only getting an anime this season (go watch it though).

Entertainment history is messy and doesn't move in straight lines of social justice, is what I'm saying here.

I agree, but I'm not surprised she decided not to pursue that path. It might have woken up Inessa's parents!

What, you think that a story where the main character has rock-bottom self-worth that she tried to escape by adopting the facade of her best friend, should end with her creating a version of herself she can love and not clinging to that facade? I don't know where you'd get that idea.

Well, if she goes for being Inessa's sister, she could keep a body with some similar features*. And I think she's going for sister. Sure, their convo about never having a romantic relationship was when Chiro was in the closet, so incompatible with Inessa's attraction, but it seems they really do see each other as siblings.
Too bad, as a romantic relationship where they're so, focused on each other in such an intense, angsty and chaos causing way seemed interesting to me.
Still, family of choice, and family dynamics, are also nice to see.
Maybe Michael will even stay and hang out and they can take care of her together
Michael is a criminal mastermind plush, not a kid. She's straight up supporting Temperance, giving her an apartment and money. She in fact has no idea how to handle kids. I like the idea of Michael stepping up as a sort of mom to Temperance, the first non-awful parent she had, but she canonically seems to just live with Inessa while providing stuff to Temps. Would still be the best parent she's ever had, tbh.

*Thought of her keeping her mom's features, but now Chiro would look like the fruit of an affair.

Last edited:
Inessa and the protagonist love each other, and that's good enough for me. I'll just wait and see how they want to define that love in social terms.

(tbh Chiro's been so in her head about Gender I don't think it's fair to say she's expressed attraction to anyone beyond acknowledging 'this person is attractive'. About all I'm sure about here is that dudes don't even register to her, so her sexuality's going to be fun to see where she goes with it when she's got the mental bandwidth to actually think about it.)

Michael is a criminal mastermind plush, not a kid.
I think this one was a Pretty Cure reference. The mascots there tend to be more childlike and have at least once ended up in a "child of two Cure parents" arrangement by the end of the show.

Inessa and the protagonist love each other, and that's good enough for me. I'll just wait and see how they want to define that love in social terms.
True. Their relationship is very interesting to explore.
About all I'm sure about here is that dudes don't even register to her, so her sexuality's going to be fun to see where she goes with it when she's got the mental bandwidth to actually think about it.)
Lots of trans women discover a lot about their taste after they start transitioning.

Back