A Game of Crowns (Mafia)

*Returns*

I need to get more into a habit of regularly checking the threads on Mafia games.

Within reason of course. I still got college.
Thanks.

I might be busy for a bit.

Midterms are coming next week.
Not much really. I pretty much suck ass on the first day of a mafia game as far as my experience goes.
...And I still got nothing...
To be honest, part of the reason why I'm very quiet is that I have a hard time reading anyone at all.

As far as suspicions go, I know jack shit.

I cannot be voting any harder than I already am.

Stuff.

But seriously though, I genuinely have no suspicious on anyone in the game. Well, maybe except Evenstar but that's mostly because of Absum's reasoning against them.
... At least it's a start.

Okay, so if you don't have any particular suspicions, anything that stood out as odd to you? Or people that you trust and why? Anything at all really, something more than a single sentence response to people asking you for your thoughts.

... At least it's a start.

Okay, so if you don't have any particular suspicions, anything that stood out as odd to you? Or people that you trust and why? Anything at all really, something more than a single sentence response to people asking you for your thoughts.

Okay, so this is going to be a bit long. Here's a list of personal opinions I got on other people if you're not listed it means that I have no solid opinion on you. Mostly due to me not checking the thread as often as I should.

@-Rosen: Dead. The first innocent casualty of the game.

@QTesseract: Dead, the first night victim. Okay, so perhaps they were killed by either an assassin or an interrogator? The former is more likely I think.

@PyrrosWarrior: Basically like me.

@1KBestK: The most concerned with figuring the finer details of the game.

@DimensionalGuy: Also basically like me.

@Absum: Currently the one who's opinions are reasonings are the most appealing to me.

@Evenstar: One of the more inquisitive players and the one who I'm most suspicious of currently. Mostly because of the above's reasonings.

I assume that this is because I voted for -Rosen? And that makes it likely for me to be scum? While I can see it, it's not like it was a sudden or opportunistic vote or something, right? I've been pretty consistent in my belief that -Rosen was the best lynch canditate, even if that turned out to be wrong. Furthermore, I don't really believe that there would be any need for me to actually vote as scum, would it? There wasn't really anyone else up for vote, and so no actual need for scum to draw attention to themselves.
Urgh. Here's the deal. Feels wrong to have a lynchwagon with no scum at all on it. That's my thought process, at least. They probably weren't *pushing* it too hard, but I can certainly see one or two just... ending up on the wagon to look like they're participating. At the same time, I don't think it's early enough to call Evenstar as suspicious, the roleclaim can go for at least a couple days, and Nictis is just being Nictis, and I don't want to lynch him. I didn't have any impression of you... actually still don't. Okay, checking, that's 8 posts. What we got?

Well, three of the six D1 posts included something about Rosen. One (The first) is actually quite a strong post. The other is mentioning when poked that Rosen feels bad but not bad enough to vote for, the last is a kind of unenthusiastic vote for him because, you know. He wasn't a very good lynch, just the best one we had. Can't exactly get on someone's case for my own sentiments, so no real heat there. You've been consistent in the belief, though my initial reading was "I've been constantly about this", which is what made me look through your posts as a "Wait, did I really miss that?" thing. Sends a different message than what you're literally saying.

At any rate, I don't really have a reason to move off you at this point. No "Well, there's a good lynch here" situations like when moving from Ban. I'm not really gonna focus this, but I'll just leave the vote here for now.
*Returns*

I cannot be voting any harder than I already am.
So the inactivity vote is the best one here, from your evaluation?

Okay, so this is going to be a bit long. Here's a list of personal opinions I got on other people if you're not listed it means that I have no solid opinion on you. Mostly due to me not checking the thread as often as I should.

@-Rosen: Dead. The first innocent casualty of the game.

@QTesseract: Dead, the first night victim. Okay, so perhaps they were killed by either an assassin or an interrogator? The former is more likely I think.

@PyrrosWarrior: Basically like me.

@1KBestK: The most concerned with figuring the finer details of the game.

@DimensionalGuy: Also basically like me.

@Absum: Currently the one who's opinions are reasonings are the most appealing to me.

@Evenstar: One of the more inquisitive players and the one who I'm most suspicious of currently. Mostly because of the above's reasonings.

> Killed by either an assassin or an interrogator

Uh... neither of those roles exist in mafia games I know. Are those ToS roles?

Its currently 9:37pm my time...Now that Ive found a chance to sit and think about this game, especially in light of the new information:

Honestly even with all this said I'm not too happy with an Eva lynch, but I would like a response and I haven't voted yet so c'est la vie.

Nictis, 1k, and You are Townleans, I'm neutral on Rosen, Est, TD, and Meso, and everyone else... Everyone else I don't really have thoughts on? Idk. I don't have a real scum read right now, it's part of why I'm voting for Evenstar.

(the 2nd quote is in response to Cyricubed)

@BanTheFairyKing , why were you hesitant to lynch Evenstar the first time you voted? And why are Nictis, 1K and Cyricubed townleans?

> Killed by either an assassin or an interrogator

No, the first is a Trouble in Terrorist Town GMod roles and I've only heard of Interrogater in shooters that aren't like Mafia. TTT is a game that basically plays out as "Mafia the Shooter." The standard roles are "Innocent" Terrorists, an "Innocent" Detective Terrorist, and one or more Traitors who know each other. The expanded pack of TTT has Assassin (A traitor who gets double damage on their target and half on others), Glitch (an innocent role that appears Traitor to the traitors but cannot see traitors themselves), Killer ( third party has extra health and can access both the Detective and Traitor buy-screens), Zombie (traitor who cults the innocent into more Zombies), Swapper (Third party who switches roles with person who killed them and automatically kills the person who killed them instead), Jester (Third party whose goal is to die to win), Mercenary (innocent role whom can access the Detective and Traitor buy-screen), and Phantom (innocent who is revived when the person who killed them dies. They can be revived multiple times in one game).

An interrogator as I know it from games is someone whose kill "interrogates" the information on the opposing team from their victim.

Man, today has utterly sucked. So I'll try to look at the voting train for Rosen later, same with reads, but for now Q&A with Ban-senpai!

Until I get actual things done I'm gonna go with

[X] Lynch Look To The Left

Give them some incentive to post something. I might decide to join a different pressure vote before I go sleep but we'll see.

Oh! I don't really recall you defending me but you Townread me ye? With Turtleducks gone maybe you can give us your reasoning instead?

I was unsure about the Evenstar Lynch. Hell, even now I'm unsure about the Evenstar Lynch. She's my best vote until I do some more in-depth post analysis, and will probably stay my best vote after the in-depth stuff, but I'll be the first to say that the evidence when I first started suspecting her was a total reach and mainly a gut feeling I was trying to justify.

You're the first person to interact with that, and called me out on it. While that could totally be a scum friend backing scum Eva up, it, combined with some of your previous reads, gave me a town read. That town read has gone back to neutral tbh, but that was what I was thinking at the time.

Its currently 9:37pm my time...Now that Ive found a chance to sit and think about this game, especially in light of the new information:

@BanTheFairyKing , why were you hesitant to lynch Evenstar the first time you voted? And why are Nictis, 1K and Cyricubed townleans?

I covered it in my above response, but mainly I was hesitant because it was mostly a gut read. We didn't have much to go on besides TurtleDucks's evasiveness and Rosen's early misstep, and I thought that Rosen's misstep was just that while TD was in his first game so I had nothing to work with on either.

As such, I tried to justify a vote on who I found the most suspicious, but it was a bit of a reach and I was fully aware of that.

As to Nictis, 1k, and Cyri, I townread them all for different reasons. Nictis pushing Rosen felt like town V town, at least to me. Nictis has been very agressive in all the games I've played with them in, and Rosen has been unwilling to back down. That, combined with some early miscommunication, set off a powder keg that I believe scum simply fanned the flames of.

1k... I honestly can't remember? It's been a while, and while I'm pretty sure it was a gutread that was justified by others townreading her as well, it could have had actual meat behind it.

Cyri is probably my biggest townread atm, mainly because of his response to the Rosen lynch reading back through. Not sure why I townread him at the time, but his more recent posts I've really liked.

Sorry I can't give more, but life's been hectic and these phases are very long and so my memory of my mindset each day is a bit hazy

I think I remember someone mentioning the Interrogator as an Epic Mafia role, but can't remember if that was in thread or in the discord, and I believe that you mentioned the assassin?
No, the first is a Trouble in Terrorist Town GMod roles and I've only heard of Interrogater in shooters that aren't like Mafia. TTT is a game that basically plays out as "Mafia the Shooter." The standard roles are "Innocent" Terrorists, an "Innocent" Detective Terrorist, and one or more Traitors who know each other. The expanded pack of TTT has Assassin (A traitor who gets double damage on their target and half on others), Glitch (an innocent role that appears Traitor to the traitors but cannot see traitors themselves), Killer ( third party has extra health and can access both the Detective and Traitor buy-screens), Zombie (traitor who cults the innocent into more Zombies), Swapper (Third party who switches roles with person who killed them and automatically kills the person who killed them instead), Jester (Third party whose goal is to die to win), Mercenary (innocent role whom can access the Detective and Traitor buy-screen), and Phantom (innocent who is revived when the person who killed them dies. They can be revived multiple times in one game).
Oh, so that's where those roles came from. I was kinda wondering where the AH crew got them since I couldn't seem to find them on any servers :V

Hi. I'm here but also multi-tasking

@ComiTurtle since you replaced in TD and I know your busy atm(At least I think you replaced TD)

TD jumped on me for voting absum simply because I voted absum and he townread him. TD then never revealed much reasoning to that, in that it was more like he did a omgus vote onto me. I'm still Sus of your slot but honestly less so. However in the meantime while I re-evaluate my notes I'd like to ask you to see you can better explain what TD failed to do?

[X] Lynch Comiturtle

I will say I have no role information that indicates Absum is town. Thus my assessment is the following he just had a town read on Absum potentially from a flavor standpoint or something (can't say I've read into Absum's post log at any level of depth so maybe TD believed they saw something town indicative flavorwise? Idk cause I don't see it.) Best I can do is speculate by revealing my own flavor, but I don't like to fall into such traps of divulging or acting on flavor so I don't plan to do so. So this is really all you're gonna get out of me trying to explain TD's vote on you.

Now just as an aside probably broke a toe a few hours ago, so guess I'll be fairly active tomorrow. :V

This game is interestingly slow-paced, I'm concerned my intention to play lax is a poor decision given that, its easy for scum to foster such an environment and advantageous to them, not that active scum is impossible or even unlikely it almost is stronger in a slow-paced game because they have more narrative control.

Man I really need to read the proper opening of this knowing the tiny little bit I know as a player instead of just as an observer.

... if my suspicions are correct, we might be on a clock here. Even more so than in most mafia games.

I also recommend that people read the Assassin in the Palace page on MafiaScum, given that this setup might be similarly shaped.
When you link to a setup page that features Assassins but don't recognize Assassins. :V

And yeah, Interrogator was the mafia ToS Jailor equivalent over on EpicMafia, according to JBJ on the Discord. So that's probably where the idea came from... But it's still a rather odd thought considering...
@QTesseract is found within his quarters, a pulped mass of blood, bone shards, and grey matter where his skull used to be. Examination of his clothing and effects reveals him to be another Kingdom native: The castle gamekeeper, Old Basset.
Yeah.

Oh yeah, one thing I wanted to ask.

@InterstellarHobo what makes a good reason to lynch someone Day 1 for you?
Given that "it would be informational" is a bad answer, the correct but uselessly trite answer is "Because they are acting like scum."

The second, infinitiesmally less trite answer is "there's not going to be a compelling reason to Day 1 lynch unless someone really fucks up."

I'm instead going to answer the more general question of "How are you approaching reads?" and hope you get the information you want out of it.
It's functionally my first mafia game, so I don't have the breadth of experience to give a comprehensive answer, but the perspective I'm approaching this from is that lynch-worthy actions are exclusively ones which have an impact beneficial to scum. It's certainly worth getting soft reads from conversation, as 'what X's reads are' and 'why x wants to lynch y' are some of the few impactful things you'll see day one, but they should be superceded by reads based on other people's reads, lynches, and justification or lack thereof.

So to me, "acting like scum" means a subset of the following, and probably other stuff as I play more:
Signalling a town-favored position, but not acting on it
Attempting to convince others to lynch a town player, particularly with two-faced justification. (i.e. They don't seem to believe their own justification)
Attempting to convince others not to lynch a scum player, particularly with two-faced justification.
Joining a scum-favored lynch with poor, sheepish, or lacking justification, particularly when the vote makes an impact
Joining a town-favored lynch with poor, sheepish, or lacking justification when the vote makes no (or little) impact

Everyone will be doing at least one of these at some point, but doing so frequently or egregiously indicates scum to me.

Given that "it would be informational" is a bad answer, the correct but uselessly trite answer is "Because they are acting like scum."

The second, infinitiesmally less trite answer is "there's not going to be a compelling reason to Day 1 lynch unless someone really fucks up."

I'm instead going to answer the more general question of "How are you approaching reads?" and hope you get the information you want out of it.
It's functionally my first mafia game, so I don't have the breadth of experience to give a comprehensive answer, but the perspective I'm approaching this from is that lynch-worthy actions are exclusively ones which have an impact beneficial to scum. It's certainly worth getting soft reads from conversation, as 'what X's reads are' and 'why x wants to lynch y' are some of the few impactful things you'll see day one, but they should be superceded by reads based on other people's reads, lynches, and justification or lack thereof.

So to me, "acting like scum" means a subset of the following, and probably other stuff as I play more:
Signalling a town-favored position, but not acting on it
Attempting to convince others to lynch a town player, particularly with two-faced justification. (i.e. They don't seem to believe their own justification)
Attempting to convince others not to lynch a scum player, particularly with two-faced justification.
Joining a scum-favored lynch with poor, sheepish, or lacking justification, particularly when the vote makes an impact
Joining a town-favored lynch with poor, sheepish, or lacking justification when the vote makes no (or little) impact

Everyone will be doing at least one of these at some point, but doing so frequently or egregiously indicates scum to me.
I do like this answer, and I'll admit that I was mostly asking because your comment at the end of the day caught my eye. That none of the things listed against Rosen seemed important, rather than inaccurate. So if I may ask, why did you vote Evenstar at the end?

I do like this answer, and I'll admit that I was mostly asking because your comment at the end of the day caught my eye. That none of the things listed against Rosen seemed important, rather than inaccurate. So if I may ask, why did you vote Evenstar at the end?
Few reasons, none too compelling. Sleepy tho, so you get terse answers.
Most important, no justifications. Good way to hide if scum, unless lack of justification is persecuted.
Second, neighborhood thing seemed suspicious- could be proactively excusing slip ups. This is maybe inexperience talking?

Didn't put it at good odds of Evenstar being scum, but put it at significantly better odds than random guessing. Didn't feel comfortable lynching TurtleDucks without any idea wtf they were doing (mistake, maybe), you know why I didn't vote -Rosen, was slightly townreading Absum. Only other contenders were inactivity lynches, and "doing things but not saying why" strikes me as scummier than "doin nothin"

*Makes post, checks to see if Interstellar is online. He is, last seen five minutes ago.*
*Browses, checks for response. 16 minutes ago*
*30 minutes ago, debates value of posting follow up before risking losing thought process to sleep*

Welp, time to make a post.
@Evenstar, is it possible for you to invite people to your neighborhood?

Tangentially, could some of the more experienced players give a rundown of what roles we're likely to see?
So, right now I think the most likely scum are Evenstar and Nictis, because "hey I'm in a neighborhood, but don't worry I'm Mr. Rogers" is a good way to excuse future errors.

That doesn't mean I think they are scum, just that it's slightly better evidence than any of the vague aspersions we can cast on anyone else.

Having said that, lynching either in the near future seems like a huge mistake. If they are town, there's a real chance that they are important town, or town that we specifically do not want to lynch, as Evenstar's actions are somewhat strange otherwise. If they are scum, then we suffer little by allowing them to live long enough to make more intelligent guesses.
It seems likely that more information about the general state of the game is likely the make the scum?lynch:spare determination much easier.

As for -Rosen:
The argument that -Rosen is trying to set up a mislynch (presumably a lynch of a townie?) doesn't seem very strong, since I don't think his actions serve any purpose for any role. While he's as good a random lynch as any, I don't see how any of what he's said aids scum, aids town, or accomplishes much of anything at all. First it read like memeing, then it read like horribly baseless but not particularly unusual reads, then poorly thought out defence against horribly baseless but not particularly unusual reads.

Basically, it reads to me like incompetence rather than malice.
I'm really not sure that -Rosen is scum, but it's not impossible, there's not great reason to suspect anyone else, and I do think he's the most informative lynch right now. If he is scum then we've good as confirmed Nictis and Evenstar as town.

My other "informed" pick would be Absum- both TurtleDucks and BanTheFairyKing have given entirely sourceless townreads, which is both suspicious and makes identifying Absum somewhat more valuable.
Also, this exchange:

seems slightly scum-indicative, but I'm trying not to read in to it very much.
If we lynch -Rosen, it'll be almost entirely thanks to Nictis' actions. Killing one third of your team for cred might sometimes be a good trade, but I would be surprised if this was one of those times.

It's not certainty I suppose, but it's very strong evidence.
Well, I'm still awake. But, it's basically the same arguments you were making before, and I at least just can't see any of the evidence you're citing as important.

I feel like it's important to vote according to expressed beliefs, to give concrete backing to stated motivations.
But, fundamentally, there's nobody I think has even a fifty fifty of being scum.
I do think
[X] Evenstar
has been too cagy about their motivations. I still think it's more likely the early lynches were shoddy pressure tactics, and this recent silence is definitely the call of IRL, but... I believe it's better odds than anyone else.
I'll rethink this in the morning if I wake up in time, and possibly regret it in the morning if I don't, but at the moment
When reviewing, that final vote against Eva stands oddly to me. I can appreciate the reasoning of "You should vote people you actually suspect," but it doesn't seem to match up to previous thoughts. There's the bit where Hobo states that Evenstar and I could be scum but that we shouldn't be lynched so early because the alternatives are too costly, Hobo says that I would be the cause of Rosen's lynch if it goes through, there seems to be suspicion on Absum for more than just Info lynching, and in the end Hobo decides that the lynch on Rosen is bad and switches over to... Evenstar.

Hobo says it's because Evenstar was being cagey, but I'm the one who told her to keep the info she was going to share close to the chest. I just don't really get why Hobo would be voting Evenstar at this point if he decided that my points against Rosen were bad, but he only said that they weren't important. Contradictions, scummy behavior, scummy attitude, OMGUS, claiming scum, it was wrong, but I wouldn't exactly say that it was all unimportant.

If it's a bad argument, why wasn't he voting me? If he assumed that me and Evenstar were the scum team together, why vote the one that he thought would be more critical if Town? And why ask earlier if she is a neighborizer?

So... Yeah. Regretting placing Hobo so high on the list right now.

*Messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?*
Y
Few reasons, none too compelling. Sleepy tho, so you get terse answers.
Most important, no justifications. Good way to hide if scum, unless lack of justification is persecuted.
Second, neighborhood thing seemed suspicious- could be proactively excusing slip ups. This is maybe inexperience talking?

Didn't put it at good odds of Evenstar being scum, but put it at significantly better odds than random guessing. Didn't feel comfortable lynching TurtleDucks without any idea wtf they were doing (mistake, maybe), you know why I didn't vote -Rosen, was slightly townreading Absum. Only other contenders were inactivity lynches, and "doing things but not saying why" strikes me as scummier than "doin nothin"
You were Townreading Absum?

Apparently I missed the spoiler post.

It didn't help S:
Prior to the last step in this sequence, I had the belief that Nictis had priviledged information that implicated -Rosen, or that Nictis was scum. The amount of certainty was entirely unwarranted otherwise.
So, voting for lynches without any reasoning seems extremely scum beneficial, but I don't think that's what's happening here? I'm pretty sure these are transparent (and therefore worthless) attempts to pressure people?
I dunno, I don't actually have a read here other than it's annoying and pointless.
For now, I'm going to
[X] NULL
since I don't think there's strong evidence -Rosen is scum.
I do not understand why Hobo would be voting Evenstar over me if he was trying to get scum.

(I also still can't seem to find him townreading Absum?)

But seriously though, I genuinely have no suspicious on anyone in the game. Well, maybe except Evenstar but that's mostly because of Absum's reasoning against them.

Point of advice: You should always be looking for one person to distrust, even if it's just on gut read because you don't have anything else to work on. Look for snakes in the grass, people who want to mislead town into the wrong direction, those who are content to sit back and let town self-destruct, etc... maybe someone who is being too oppurnistic with how lynches are going.

??? Confused here.

Cyri is probably my biggest townread atm, mainly because of his response to the Rosen lynch reading back through. Not sure why I townread him at the time, but his more recent posts I've really liked.

I'm pretty confused here. I only stated I didn't agree with the lynch reasonings on -Rosen and felt they were flimsy. I never townread -Rosen though I believe (I've been lazy and haven't gone back through yesterday...aahhggg)

Mhmm...this game probably had a decent reason to do a No Lynch day 1. However, there are good reasons to generally lynch Someone Day 1. If someone can provide that link it would be helpful.

I will say I have no role information that indicates Absum is town. Thus my assessment is the following he just had a town read on Absum potentially from a flavor standpoint or something (can't say I've read into Absum's post log at any level of depth so maybe TD believed they saw something town indicative flavorwise? Idk cause I don't see it.) Best I can do is speculate by revealing my own flavor, but I don't like to fall into such traps of divulging or acting on flavor so I don't plan to do so. So this is really all you're gonna get out of me trying to explain TD's vote on you.

Now just as an aside probably broke a toe a few hours ago, so guess I'll be fairly active tomorrow. :V

This game is interestingly slow-paced, I'm concerned my intention to play lax is a poor decision given that, its easy for scum to foster such an environment and advantageous to them, not that active scum is impossible or even unlikely it almost is stronger in a slow-paced game because they have more narrative control.

Man I really need to read the proper opening of this knowing the tiny little bit I know as a player instead of just as an observer.

Okay, I suppose my wording drove it like that but yeah, don't go divulging flavor freely here. Especially since I have a feeling divulging names and titles could narrow scum target list if my set-up spec is correct.

Hmm...ahh...I guess I'll have to chop up everything on TD to new player syndrome and I focused on it too hard to dismiss it as such.

Okay, Gonna look into Nani, Even, and the inactives.

@Nictis I believe you said you were gonna do an ISO on me? I'm just curious if we're going to be seeing that or changed minds.

Urgh. Here's the deal. Feels wrong to have a lynchwagon with no scum at all on it. That's my thought process, at least. They probably weren't *pushing* it too hard, but I can certainly see one or two just... ending up on the wagon to look like they're participating. At the same time, I don't think it's early enough to call Evenstar as suspicious, the roleclaim can go for at least a couple days, and Nictis is just being Nictis, and I don't want to lynch him. I didn't have any impression of you... actually still don't. Okay, checking, that's 8 posts. What we got?

Well, three of the six D1 posts included something about Rosen. One (The first) is actually quite a strong post. The other is mentioning when poked that Rosen feels bad but not bad enough to vote for, the last is a kind of unenthusiastic vote for him because, you know. He wasn't a very good lynch, just the best one we had. Can't exactly get on someone's case for my own sentiments, so no real heat there. You've been consistent in the belief, though my initial reading was "I've been constantly about this", which is what made me look through your posts as a "Wait, did I really miss that?" thing. Sends a different message than what you're literally saying.

At any rate, I don't really have a reason to move off you at this point. No "Well, there's a good lynch here" situations like when moving from Ban. I'm not really gonna focus this, but I'll just leave the vote here for now.
Yeah, that's fair. My only real disagreement is about scum and lynchwagon, but that's probably just me going wine, honestly. Gonna try and look for something suspicious day one again. No promises that I'll find something, I'm honestly not that good at it, but I'll try to do so soonish. Not right at this moment though. Have to study some.

7:15am

Before I head off to get breakfast and bring my car to a mechanic...

Cyri I quoted two of Bans posts, the 2nd quote was in response to something you said to Ban (just to clarify who Ban was townreading ("You along with Nictis and 1K"))

Sorry I can't give more, but life's been hectic and these phases are very long and so my memory of my mindset each day is a bit hazy

Im in a rush right now so I cant analyze the entire reaponse properly, can someone give me their 2 cents on this? Will be back as soon as I can

Im also posting this question, because Id rather look like an idiot for askig

If this game is about being extremely careful with information, correct me if Im wrong but wouldnt it be more beneficial for us at this stage to try and townclear people as opposed to hunting legitimate scum based on prima facie cases? Ive never experienced a game like AITP before, will need to do some research on other similar games... In this game, Im under the impression that town has the advantage over maf in information? Im confused, and terrified of hitting an important PR

Back