A Game of Crowns (Mafia)

Mhmm...this game probably had a decent reason to do a No Lynch day 1. However, there are good reasons to generally lynch Someone Day 1. If someone can provide that link it would be helpful.
Oh wow, nobody linked it before me. Here you go.
@Nictis I believe you said you were gonna do an ISO on me? I'm just curious if we're going to be seeing that or changed minds.
I've been getting distracted, and then something I was waiting on came up.

Speaking of which... @InterstellarHobo Why were you townreading Absum?

I want to do the ISO before work, but it's going to have to be after. So... About six and a half hours from now I should be able to get started on that, hit me with a newspaper if I don't @Cyricubed.
If this game is about being extremely careful with information, correct me if Im wrong but wouldnt it be more beneficial for us at this stage to try and townclear people as opposed to hunting legitimate scum based on prima facie cases? Ive never experienced a game like AITP before, will need to do some research on other similar games... In this game, Im under the impression that town has the advantage over maf in information? Im confused, and terrified of hitting an important PR
Getting some good Townreads on people is always useful, but scum hunting is the way that you do it. You need to lynch someone in order to not waste the Day, and if everyone is hinting at the same information then it just becomes common knowledge.

It's mostly irrelevant though, since it seems like there are only a few informed people around.

Honestly, the best reason for d1 lynches is maintaining pressure. If there's no pressure on scum, they don't really need to do anything risky, like taking a stand on something or putting out reads. People are more likely to let something slip when they're forced to respond or be lynched.

Honestly, the best reason for d1 lynches is maintaining pressure. If there's no pressure on scum, they don't really need to do anything risky, like taking a stand on something or putting out reads. People are more likely to let something slip when they're forced to respond or be lynched.
That's true. Now here's the question. Was gonna put my lynch vote on the biggest vote to hopefully get some pressure and discussion happening... But really, it's just Nictis and Absum voting the inactive. I highly doubt more pressure will get anything out of them. So come on, let's go find someone. I don't have any strong suspicion, and it looks like others are the same. But please. It's been more than 24 hours, it's time to get a ball rolling. Fuck, go for me if you want, that'll at least give me something to do.

Fuck it, I'll make it two... let's call them wagons.

[X] Lynch BanTheFairyKing

His voting against Rosen is justified, but it's still probably a better vote than DG and means there's more than one vote on the same target. Wasn't really a fan of the going after... Uh, notes just say person who knows things because of cult suspicions. Guess that's either Nictis or Evenstar.

@mesonoxian

Basically all you have to your name right now is a dead wrong read. Want to give us some analysis?

(I'll post my thoughts when they are composed, which might be a bit but is certainly today)
Sorry for being quiet today. Being dead wrong about Rosen (and if I am honest having them get really mad about it) kind of shook my confidence. Most of my reads were based on the idea that Rosen and TurtleDucks were probably scum, and while we still don't know about TurtleDucks/ @ComiTurtle , Rosen being town means I have to reexamine everything from a different perspective.

I do think it is strange that QT was targeted. They weren't especially active, and they voted for the Rosen lynch, which would have made them look potentially more suspicious than someone who never supported that lynch. The fluff of their role included them being a "game keeper" which makes me wonder if they had a power role like tracker. If scum had a rolecop, would they have been able to use that power and get results before selecting a nightkill in most games?

Sorry for being quiet today. Being dead wrong about Rosen (and if I am honest having them get really mad about it) kind of shook my confidence. Most of my reads were based on the idea that Rosen and TurtleDucks were probably scum, and while we still don't know about TurtleDucks/ @ComiTurtle , Rosen being town means I have to reexamine everything from a different perspective.

I do think it is strange that QT was targeted. They weren't especially active, and they voted for the Rosen lynch, which would have made them look potentially more suspicious than someone who never supported that lynch. The fluff of their role included them being a "game keeper" which makes me wonder if they had a power role like tracker. If scum had a rolecop, would they have been able to use that power and get results before selecting a nightkill in most games?
As far as I can tell, all mafia games basically have an order of operations - you give your target for the night, and then the GM decides based on that order what resolves in what order, but it all effectively happens simultaneously. You don't get to know if you've even succeeded until the night is over, if I have it right. So, no, they can't.

QT actually makes a lot of sense, TBH. The big targets (if the people in question are actually town) are probably Evenstar, Nictis, and maybe me? But there are kinda secondary town players, people who are good but not nearly as active and defining, like QT and maybe Cyri. The people in the first groups are absolute PR magnets. Nictis probably gets targeted with more night actions in one game than I've ever been targeted with. Scum's probably paranoid about watchers, doctors, jailors, etc. It's a much lower risk to target someone who town probably won't be targeting.

QT actually makes a lot of sense, TBH. The big targets (if the people in question are actually town) are probably Evenstar, Nictis, and maybe me? But there are kinda secondary town players, people who are good but not nearly as active and defining, like QT and maybe Cyri. The people in the first groups are absolute PR magnets. Nictis probably gets targeted with more night actions in one game than I've ever been targeted with. Scum's probably paranoid about watchers, doctors, jailors, etc. It's a much lower risk to target someone who town probably won't be targeting.
I never thought about it like that.

If your reasoning is right, (and I have no reason to think it isn't) that really limits what we can learn from their choice of victim.

I never thought about it like that.

If your reasoning is right, (and I have no reason to think it isn't) that really limits what we can learn from their choice of victim.
Well, another possibility is that killing specifically QT over say Cyri or maybe Absum has some benefit to scum. They could be trying to influence the vote. I've been thinking that there's probably at least one scum on the -Rosen lynch, but it could be that there's none and they're intentionally lowering the number left so people like me feel like we have more of a chance to lynch scum (and then end up only hitting more town). I'm not sure specifically how well that theory holds up, but you can see the ways in which who specifically dies can give us hints at their strategy, especially over time.

Oh wow, nobody linked it before me. Here you go.

I've been getting distracted, and then something I was waiting on came up.

Speaking of which... @InterstellarHobo Why were you townreading Absum?

High participation, reasonable reads. Same reason I was cautiously townreading you, after you backed off from certainty about Rosen to suspicion of Rosen.

When reviewing, that final vote against Eva stands oddly to me. I can appreciate the reasoning of "You should vote people you actually suspect," but it doesn't seem to match up to previous thoughts. There's the bit where Hobo states that Evenstar and I could be scum but that we shouldn't be lynched so early because the alternatives are too costly, Hobo says that I would be the cause of Rosen's lynch if it goes through, there seems to be suspicion on Absum for more than just Info lynching, and in the end Hobo decides that the lynch on Rosen is bad and switches over to... Evenstar.

This is because of the wonderful magic of learning. My arguments before being dissuaded from infolynching are along the lines of "Lynching this person would be informative or useful." This is apparently very easy for scum to hide behind, so I began arguing (as exclusively as possible) from the perspective of "I have justifiable reason to believe X is scum"

Hobo says it's because Evenstar was being cagey, but I'm the one who told her to keep the info she was going to share close to the chest.

There's keeping info about roles close to the chest, which you recommended, and then there's providing no justification for lynches or reads, which I hope was not the intent behind your recommendation. The first is reasonable. The second is scummy.

I just don't really get why Hobo would be voting Evenstar at this point if he decided that my points against Rosen were bad, but he only said that they weren't important. Contradictions, scummy behavior, scummy attitude, OMGUS, claiming scum, it was wrong, but I wouldn't exactly say that it was all unimportant.

If it's a bad argument, why wasn't he voting me?

Being genuinely wrong is not a particularly good sign of scum. Multiple people had mentioned that you tend to hyperfocus on a single target, and it seemed like you believed your arguments were important. Pursuing an unconvincing but not technically inaccurate justification seems in character. Further, you'd posted enough content and justified enough reads that I did not think you were scum. I still don't think it's likely, despite you being wrong.

If he assumed that me and Evenstar were the scum team together, why vote the one that he thought would be more critical if Town?

Where did you get that impression? I was at the time of that quote under the belief that if either were town, both were important town.

This belief also faded, as it turns out neigborhoods aren't a particularly big deal or particularly informative.

And why ask earlier if she is a neighborizer?

If Evenstar was a neighborizer, it would be very easy to confirm with high probability that Evenstar was town (or at least the neighborhood wasn't scumchat) by randomly selecting a player and requesting Evenstar neighborize them.

I'll really try to post my updated reads today. I said I'd do it yesterday but I was stupid busy.

Sorry, I was unclear here. There's not going to be a compelling reason for any specific day 1 lynch.

Okay, in that context yes

If Evenstar was a neighborizer, it would be very easy to confirm with high probability that Evenstar was town (or at least the neighborhood wasn't scumchat) by randomly selecting a player and requesting Evenstar neighborize them.

No. Do not fall into a trap of a role autoconfirming as town or scum. A neighborizer would be a cool scum role, as it is a weak way of potentially gaining information through deceit.

On my way home from work, need to cook, then get some actual leeway and looking through

Will be posting reads and stuff later, probably going to try for some ISOs. Is there anybody people are already doing/want done?
I'd like to see your general opinion on any of the still living Rosen voters if you're volunteering for targets.

Though given statements on the scum figuring out the setup probably being super bad, please be careful with the setup speculation. I do think you're probably correct on the lack of other killing roles, third party or town, given current information though.

Okay, so this is going to be a bit long. Here's a list of personal opinions I got on other people if you're not listed it means that I have no solid opinion on you. Mostly due to me not checking the thread as often as I should.
I'm not sure what to feel about being ignored after RL made me radio silent on this yesterday, I haven't been very active, and you did call out some of the other lurkers. You probably just forgot me, but it does make me wonder if you were hoping someone else would notice me not being in the list or something, but that's probably too much wine. Probably.

Also I was expecting there to be a lot more to read through after RL hit me over the head yesterday, activity seems to have dropped compared to D1.

I'd like to see your general opinion on any of the still living Rosen voters if you're volunteering for targets.

Though given statements on the scum figuring out the setup probably being super bad, please be careful with the setup speculation. I do think you're probably correct on the lack of other killing roles, third party or town, given current information though.

I'm not sure what to feel about being ignored after RL made me radio silent on this yesterday, I haven't been very active, and you did call out some of the other lurkers. You probably just forgot me, but it does make me wonder if you were hoping someone else would notice me not being in the list or something, but that's probably too much wine. Probably.
Oh, sorry.

I sorta forgot about you...

Honestly, you're in the same area as LttL for me. Don't think additional pressure would help.

Home but watching after grandmother right now, will probably be doing stuff either tonight or tomorrow.

Also I was expecting there to be a lot more to read through after RL hit me over the head yesterday, activity seems to have dropped compared to D1.
I've been lazy today (and yesterday too I guess). I never did the ISO I wanted to. I'll see if I can do two tomorrow but well

Honestly, you're in the same area as LttL for me. Don't think additional pressure would help.
Well, on the one hand, true enough. On the other hand, you don't want to end up with like 3 of the final 6 players having almost no content. And last time I asked about this I was told (and convinced) it was better to pressure and lynch for low activity early (assuming ofc no real other reasons present themselves).

And on that note

[X] Lynch PyrrosWarrior

I'm not going to complain about your activity. However LttL, DG and Happerry have all managed to provide at least one read and on a quick scan I don't see any among your posts. Possible I missed one cuz it's 1 am and all but hey at least I've now done something today (pls do not point out that I just said it's already past midnight, thank). So not really an inactivity lynch but give a read please?

I'm not going to complain about your activity. However LttL, DG and Happerry have all managed to provide at least one read and on a quick scan I don't see any among your posts. Possible I missed one cuz it's 1 am and all but hey at least I've now done something today (pls do not point out that I just said it's already past midnight, thank). So not really an inactivity lynch but give a read please?
You guys have been quite quiet, as in like almost nothing of substance. Any chance of reads?
I'd say "almost nothing of substance" is a bit much. I've been rather quiet this game, but I would like to think that what I have posted is generally substantial.

As for reads, nothing solid to say at the moment. I tend to get general "this tone feels off and I am going to be paying extra attention to them" but very rarely do I look at a post and say "this one post is a dead-ringer so they are definitely mafia/SK/etc" this early in the game.

oh and the people I wanted to do ISOs of were Nictis and 1K because I need better reads on them, which looking at the post counts might not have been the best idea either but I do actually need those reads for myself so I gotta do that even if I don't actually post an actual post-by-post here

Blegh, so need to do my ISO on Cyricubed when I am actually in a position where I can concentrate and not get constantly distracted by political talk that I have no interest in, wanted to report that Hobo is back to his place near the top of the list with his response, and I can probably answer any random questions if it doesn't require consistent focus.

That's not actually a read? In fact, while I really really doubt I'll actually stick to you, that hews closer to saying that you do have reads but don't want to give them, which I can't really agree with.

I think I recall something about not posting until you feel you have something solid being how you play though? Not sure cause I think the game you mentioned that is one I wasn't actually playing in.

Sleep for real now.

That's not actually a read? In fact, while I really really doubt I'll actually stick to you, that hews closer to saying that you do have reads but don't want to give them, which I can't really agree with.

I think I recall something about not posting until you feel you have something solid being how you play though? Not sure cause I think the game you mentioned that is one I wasn't actually playing in.

Sleep for real now.
It is, however, my answer to your questioning for reads. There is very little point in saying "this guy feels vaguely suspicious" without having a logical foundation and argument prepared for why that person is suspicious. All that does is open up to suspicion, paranoia, and false reads on either the people I find merely weird or on myself for seemingly appearing to paint people as scum without a solid foundation for it. It's as I think either Nictis or TPK told me a while ago: there really isn't a use for mere "feeling" like someone is scum or not if you aren't ready to actually be able to offer a case for why they are suspicious. So no, I don't consider myself to have any reads. By your guys's general definition, I would have reads that are "lightly town" or "lightly scum" or "blank," but there is no point in saying things that can so easily shift on the drop of a dime. Those types of so-called "reads" are effectively pointless, especially when we still don't have enough variety of night and day action to give them a sliver of worth.

I believe you are probably thinking of how last game, I said to someone that I have tried posting only when I have something to say of substance, since I don't like adding mere fluff to the chat. Heck, one of Evenstar's comments reprimanding me for supposedly finding people scummy yet refusing to say why has only reinforced my desire to not give any feelings on anyone until I have a full argument to provide. Evenstar didn't even bother to ever ask me about anything at that point, and I wasn't exactly deflecting or saying I had found anyone "scummy" at that point in the game. I had merely said I found some of the SB players a bit weird because they were posting slightly differently, not that I actually found any specific thing they said to tip me off nor had their behavior at that point rung any alarm bells to me.

It's as I think either Nictis or TPK told me a while ago: there really isn't a use for mere "feeling" like someone is scum or not if you aren't ready to actually be able to offer a case for why they are suspicious.
Probably TPK, I actually think that gutreads have their own place. Your subconscious can be pretty good at finding those niggling little details even if you can't place what is bothering you or figure out how to explain it. As long as you preface it with something that makes it apparent that it's not 'Reasons' or something more solid they can still help, if only to get someone with a different perspective looking in the same direction. For example "There's something about X..." or "This post feels strange to me..." or one of my personal favorites "I might just be paranoid, but..."

At the very least, having reads out in the open gives us something to look into in case you are killed.

Gutreads usually aren't enough to actually lynch on, but it's a good way to get quick opinions out into the open without being held to something you aren't sure on.

There's a time for certainty, and there's a time for vague gesturing. The time for the first is when you're certain and the time for the latter is when you're not. :V

I've been lazy today (and yesterday too I guess). I never did the ISO I wanted to. I'll see if I can do two tomorrow but well

Well, on the one hand, true enough. On the other hand, you don't want to end up with like 3 of the final 6 players having almost no content. And last time I asked about this I was told (and convinced) it was better to pressure and lynch for low activity early (assuming ofc no real other reasons present themselves).

And on that note

[X] Lynch PyrrosWarrior

I can't say you're wrong, but the idea doesn't feel good to me.. At the very least, I can try pressuring those who might respond during the day.

Also, kind of odd that you're putting Pyrros below LttL and Happery. Got a participating impression off them.

Back