Victoria Falls Worldbuilding Thread

Very interesting! I'll try sketching up a map representing what's written. I think I'll pick Honduras as the sucker who got decked in the face when they tried to be hard against Russia, because they currently have the largest military of the Central American countries and their military likes to do what it wants. But I do have a few questions:

Just to be sure though, is it correct to say that the South American alliance isn't yet official?

And in regards to Ecuador, the state effectively underwent a complete collapse before Colombia stepped in, and it's still de jure in a "collapsed" state (de facto part of Colombia of course)?

Last edited:
Hmm. Japan and Russia, for a hot minute, revived the age of outright imperialism and colonialism. Could this have inspired anyone to try (and inevitably fail) in their own colonial adventures?

Very interesting! I'll try sketching up a map representing what's written. I think I'll pick Honduras as the sucker who got decked in the face when they tried to be hard against Russia, because they currently have the largest military of the Central American countries and their military likes to do what it wants. But I do have a few questions:

Just to be sure though, is it correct to say that the South American alliance isn't yet official?

And in regards to Ecuador, the state effectively underwent a complete collapse before Venezuela stepped in, and it's still de jure in a "collapsed" state (de facto part of Colombia of course)?
The Chile-Brazil alliance to contain Argentina (so that Argentina can justify Alex's aid money) is official, albeit utterly pro forma. The general developing southern bloc is unofficial.

Ecuador underwent complete Japan-caused collapse prior to Columbia stepping in. There is new governance exercising control over the area, which due to Columbia's style of Collapse aid largely takes its cues from Bogotá.

None of those three countries are in any shape to get pissy over random islands several thousand miles from the metropole, when at least two out of three of them lost continuity of government.

Especially since an obvious Russian gambit would be to simply pressure the local government of the islands in question to declare independence during the decade-or-so period when their nominal 'owners' were providing no meaningful security. Or to use the Cubans as a puppet state to establish protectorates.
1)Point of order:
The Netherlands made it through the Collapse fine, just like the Nordics did. Probably.

At least, it isnt on the list of places that collapsed under the weight of their own internal issues or external interference. Given that the Netherlands is a net food exporter, has some of Europe's largest commercial ports, an economy and military entwined with Germany's, AND has a domestic imperative to keep their seawalls maintained, and IIRC are the only place where they produce the machines for making high yield computer chips?

They were never likely to have suffered an interruption of govt.

2) No more than France was then.
Doesnt make France any less pissed off with Victoria and Russia now, or prevent the French government using it as a domestic rallying cry for domestic political unity. Ditto the UK.

3) Coercing political declarations doesnt make any of said population any happier with you.
Because people can generally correlate the presence of the neocolonialist empire with the pronouncements of its puppet govts.

Last edited:
1)Point of order:
The Netherlands made it through the Collapse fine, just like the Nordics did. Probably.

At least, it isnt on the list of places that collapsed under the weight of their own internal issues or external interference. Given that the Netherlands is a net food exporter, has some of Europe's largest commercial ports, an economy and military entwined with Germany's, AND has a domestic imperative to keep their seawalls maintained, and IIRC are the only place where they produce the machines for making high yield computer chips?

They were never likely to have suffered an interruption of govt.

2) No more than France was then.
Doesnt make France any less pissed off with Victoria and Russia now, or prevent the French government using it as a domestic rallying cry for domestic political unity. Ditto the UK.

3) Coercing political declarations doesnt make any of said population any happier with you.
Because people can generally correlate the presence of the neocolonialist empire with the pronouncements of its puppet govts.

No one made it through the Collapse "fine". Some nations didn't completely fall apart, but no one did well during the collapse of the global economy.

The UK is barely recovering, France has collapsed again, and the Netherlands is tiny. The Russians have cause to be worried about China and Germany because those nations have the power to do something about their hard feelings. The UK, France, and the Netherlands do not.

This? Really not helping their PR in Africa. At all.
The optics of white Russian troops shooting up black and mixed Jamaican rebels is probably making Katrina tear her hair out.

Africa may not care.

Plenty of Middle Eastern nations have good relations with China despite China's treatment of its Muslim population. It's still bad PR, but there's no guarantee that people in African nations worry about what Russia does on the other side of the world.

No one made it through the Collapse "fine". Some nations didn't completely fall apart, but no one did well during the collapse of the global economy.
The UK is barely recovering, France has collapsed again, and the Netherlands is tiny. The Russians have cause to be worried about China and Germany because those nations have the power to do something about their hard feelings. The UK, France, and the Netherlands do not.
In order:
Eh, you know what I mean. Everybody did some degree of belt tightening, even Russia, but the Netherlands was well placed to come through as well as, if not better than, the Scandinavian countries to its north. Probably a fair bit of cooperation and trade there to boot.

We know very little about the UK in this AU.
It was basically put back together by the EU, but the GM hasnt really elaborated about where they are on that timeline.

France did not collapse again.
France suffered a (brief) interlude of internal political instability with civil unrest subsequent to a Russian destabilization operation.
Weeks or months, less than a year. Enough to disrupt Katarina's agenda. Thats serious, but its not at all the same thing as a collapse.

The Netherlands is almost the same population as the the 3x core Nordic countries combined; it has 17 million to Denmark's 5 million, Norway's 5 million, Sweden's 10 million and Finland's 5 million. Its a food exporter. A seed exporter. Its military literally shares divisions with the German one. And like I pointed out, almost all of the world's commercial photolithography machines for computer chips are currently made in the Netherlands. By one company at that.

The Russians worry about Germany because its the beating heart of the EU.

Germany alone is not in the same weight class as a Russia that has conquered most of the old Soviet Union and subverted part of the old WarPact and is controlling much of the Middle East. Germany + Scandinavia + Poland + Netherlands + Spain + Portugal + Belgium + Austria + Czechia + Hungary et al? Now that's something to worry about, even with their not being a centralized state, and even with Italy and France and the UK still sorting themselves out.

Africa may not care.
Plenty of Middle Eastern nations have good relations with China despite China's treatment of its Muslim population. It's still bad PR, but there's no guarantee that people in African nations worry about what Russia does on the other side of the world.
: points at the history of Rhodesia and South Africa on the continent:
Sub-Saharan African nations generally care very much about this shit directed at black people, and Jamaica is very black, and has significant mindshare and cultural links on the continent. Colonialism wasnt that long ago on the continent.
That doesnt necessarily translate to an ability to do something about it at the time, but they do care.

Last edited:
Okay, I just got the finalized South America drafted in. See the spoiler for my interpretation of the geopolitical situation for South America:

As a brief description for what I did, I removed the alliance system between the South America states because it's not official yet. I decided to make Ecuador and Venezuela dark with Colombian delineations to indicate that they are de facto annexed or whatever but are de jure dead. Since Cuba seems to be a more dedicated partner, I decided to give them their own color, and since Japan was doing some shenanigans with Ecuador and Chile, I assumed that Japan annexed Easter Island and the Galapagos. I also assumed that Argentina annexed the Sandwich Islands.

@uju32

We've been around this merry-go-round in circles enough times that I don't have the stamina to go into the details. But suffice to say that you have been very consistently overestimating the coherence and relevance of European nations (and other nations') ability to protest or resist Russian actions that take place on separate continents during the late 2030s to the 2050s.

Think about it, really think. If European nations had the capacity to do anything remotely relevant to stop Russia from, say, establishing a protectorate over goddamn Trinidad and Tobago or whatever, would they have tolerated Russia brutally dismembering the United States, one of their most powerful and valuable potential allies? Would they have let the Vicks do this dismembering, when the Vicks are militarily weak?

Russia's entire strategic power position came about because for something like 20-30 years they were effectively the only nation not utterly hamstrung (as in "oh no, my essential muscle groups are severed," that bad) when it came to long range power projection. That reality colors everything in the setting of Victoria Falls. At some point, one needs to either stop arguing with canon and find a new thing to be a fan of, or stop arguing with canon and accept the facts as they exist and are required to make the setting work.

It is a fairly safe assumption that NO European nation had the means to make relevant objections to the fate of their overseas territories circa 2040-2055 or so. Any resources they may, MAY have had to provide meaningful economic relief, protect large groups of refugees, or force Alexander IV to make concessions to them to avoid trouble, were definitely needed to deal with crises much closer to home. Such as multiple major pandemics all individually as bad or worse than COVID-19, all making each other worse. Such as total collapse of the global economic system and one of their biggest trading partners. Such as internal refugee flows and food security crises within Europe itself.

Everyone was fucking busy, to put it mildly, dealing with urgent domestic policy crises that were on fire in Europe to an extent probably not seen since 1946 and possibly not seen since ever.

@uju32

We've been around this merry-go-round in circles enough times that I don't have the stamina to go into the details. But suffice to say that you have been very consistently overestimating the coherence and relevance of European nations (and other nations') ability to protest or resist Russian actions that take place on separate continents during the late 2030s to the 2050s.

Think about it, really think. If European nations had the capacity to do anything remotely relevant to stop Russia from, say, establishing a protectorate over goddamn Trinidad and Tobago or whatever, would they have tolerated Russia brutally dismembering the United States, one of their most powerful and valuable potential allies? Would they have let the Vicks do this dismembering, when the Vicks are militarily weak?

Russia's entire strategic power position came about because for something like 20-30 years they were effectively the only nation not utterly hamstrung (as in "oh no, my essential muscle groups are severed," that bad) when it came to long range power projection. That reality colors everything in the setting of Victoria Falls. At some point, one needs to either stop arguing with canon and find a new thing to be a fan of, or stop arguing with canon and accept the facts as they exist and are required to make the setting work.

It is a fairly safe assumption that NO European nation had the means to make relevant objections to the fate of their overseas territories circa 2040-2055 or so. Any resources they may, MAY have had to provide meaningful economic relief, protect large groups of refugees, or force Alexander IV to make concessions to them to avoid trouble, were definitely needed to deal with crises much closer to home. Such as multiple major pandemics all individually as bad or worse than COVID-19, all making each other worse. Such as total collapse of the global economic system and one of their biggest trading partners. Such as internal refugee flows and food security crises within Europe itself.

Everyone was fucking busy, to put it mildly, dealing with urgent domestic policy crises that were on fire in Europe to an extent probably not seen since 1946 and possibly not seen since ever.
I think, in this case, uju is more arguing that the various European powers will be angry about this and making rumblings now, and that this sustains their grudges in a very active sense.

Just because the European nations were unable to contest (or at least effectively contest) Russian control over their overseas territories in the Caribbean doesn't mean that they've gotten over losing said territories (which in most cases were legally no different from their European homelands), that they aren't still angry, or that they don't want them back.

We know for fact that France recovered French Guiana for instance.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the DM

OK, that's fair. It's just that I've seen this kind of thing from Uju phrased, roughly, as "[European nation] wouldn't allow this to happen," from what I'm remembering...

And my reaction to that is "allow's got nothing to do with it."

@uju32

You might want to reread the statement you are replying to.

The GM has RULED on the disposition of the minor territories. That's over and done with.
We're talking implications of those rulings on the rest of global geopolitics. Because this sort of thing has generational ripple effects on everything from the form and level of European military investment to the popular opinion and attitudes between power blocs to internal attitudes inside the Euro bloc.

I think, in this case, uju is more arguing that the various European powers will be angry about this and making rumblings now, and that this sustains their grudges in a very active sense.
Just because the European nations were unable to contest (or at least effectively contest) Russian control over their overseas territories in the Caribbean doesn't mean that they've gotten over losing said territories (which in most cases were legally no different from their European homelands), that they aren't still angry, or that they don't want them back.

We know for fact that France recovered French Guiana for instance.
EDIT: Ninja'd by the DM
This.

Its worth remembering how much of a grudge the French, for example, held over the Prussian annexation of Alsace-Lorraine in 1870.
They retook it as part of the WW1 settlement, then the Nazis annexed it again when they defeated France.
And then the French retook it at the end of WW2.

The Russians have only been occupying these places for maybe 20-30 years; 30 years if they moved in during the 2040s, or 20 years if they moved in the 2050s. While few nationstates are quite as...French as the French, these are very fresh wounds on any nation to bear, and they almost definitely are significant drivers of foreign policy attitudes as said nations economies improve.

Which really does put that canonized omake in perspective where the German Chancellor's representative was basically offering to talk the other European states into leaving those territories in Russian hands. The amount of political capital that would need to be spent to do so, and the risk of internal schism if other Euro countries thought Germany was selling them out.

And Alexander's representative refused.
I suspect that those Russian diplomats who have access to the records are going to look back on that in subsequent decades with a mix of regret and exasperation.

Last edited:
Question:
Whats your desired endstate for Africa in this AU? What role do you want/see for them in international geopolitics?
Because that will probably help frame how things will go.
Everything thus far:
Africa is a big place, and I am singularly unqualified to talk specifics. Let's talk broad things, instead.

Northern Africa: Always closer to Europe, Northern Africa is today a fairly dynamic place. Russian and EU interests court and..."court"...local powers, seeking to control the Mediterranean and in particular the Straits of Gibraltar and the Suez Canal. It is a political battleground, one where Russia has a fairly entrenched head start.

Southern Africa: Away from the Mediterranean, Africa is actually free of European politics for the first time in centuries. Absolutely nobody has money or time to continue the pre-Collapse activities they tended to indulge in. For the first time in centuries, Africa from the Sahara on south is relatively free to develop and grow in its own way. It's fairly tragic, and speaks poorly of a staggering swathe of people and things, that I have no idea what that looks like. I presume the Collapse was not kind to it, but I can't imagine that European and American interests absenting themselves had negative long-term effects.
Beyond that, Egypt and parts of North Africa certainly have some relevance to the pan-Arabic movement spreading from the Middle East, although the extent of this is unclear.

My grounding on Africa is bad. Not just limited, not just subpar, bad. I have consciously avoided getting too specific, even in my own head, while waiting to work my way around to this part of the project.

Proposed Worldbuiding: Egypt

The Collapse was not kind to Egypt.

The loss of Egypt's export partners was a crippling blow to an economy that was already defined by corruption and inequality. Riots in Cairo were followed by insurrection in the countryside, and the military government struggled to maintain control of a few key cities as the nation collapsed into anarchy. The desperate, rapid transition to subsistence farming barely prevented famine, but tens of thousands died of malnutrition, and the survival rations of the poor were barely sufficient to keep them alive.

As Russia recovered from the Collapse and Tsar Alexander began to build his empire, he identified Egypt as a key element in his plan for global hegemony. When global trade resumed, control of the Suez Canal would be a priceless asset. But the Tsar's plans for Eastern Europe and the Middle East left him with no military resources to spare for Egypt; even the occupation of the Canal Zone would have required soldiers that he needed elsewhere. So the Tsar of all the Russias was forced to engage in his least favorite activity; diplomacy.

The bankrupt, crumbling military government rewarded Alexander's outreach by immediately embracing their new role as his puppets, and for a brief moment the Tsar started to think there might be something to this "hearts and minds" idea after all. Russia provided bullets for the military, but they also offered food shipments and cheap pharmaceuticals for the poor. The Tsar wanted a functional Egypt, a country that could serve as a useful ally, not a graveyard like Syria. So the weak, neglected humanitarian elements of Russia's foreign policy had their brief chance to shine, and Egypt became something like a nation once more.

Russia helped Egypt build their agriculture and industry, they provided substantial military aid, and all that they asked in return was absolute control of the Suez Canal. The generals were overjoyed with that deal. The Egyptian people were exhausted by civil war and chaos, and they were ready for a time of peace and relative prosperity. Egypt became a model Russian puppet state, an example for all the others.

For a time. Pan-Arabism has deep roots in Egypt, and as the years passed by some Egyptians began to question their bargain. They remembered a time when Egypt had aspired to lead the Arab world, rather than serving as the obedient puppet of a foreign tyrant. The generals and their secret police assured Alexander that they had the situation under control, that a rabble of fanatics calling for democracy or theocracy would never overthrow them.

The appeal of Pan-Arabism was not limited to civilians. Tsar Alexander's aides woke him early one morning to inform their sovereign that the latest round of street protests had not been answered with bullets. Instead, a clique of patriotic, ambitious junior officers had arrested their superiors, charging the ruling junta with corruption and "disloyalty to the nation".

Alexander was not pleased. But the provisional government maintained their treaties, and a confrontation would risk control of the Suez Canal. With the EU now contesting Russia's dominance of the Mediterranean, it was not a suitable time to deal with the Egyptians. Alexander acknowledged the new government, accepted their vows of loyalty, and immediately tasked his Okhrana with turning Egypt back into a proper puppet.

After several years of chaotic political transition, Egypt is now an exceedingly fragile democracy. An national unity government rules from Cairo, a broad coalition of liberals, Islamists, and patriotic officers united by a shared distrust of Russia and a desire for Egypt to emerge as the rightful leader of the Arab world. Though they are still officially aligned with Russia, and the Russians maintain de facto control of the Suez Canal, Egypt's actual status is that of an overmighty vassal state not yet willing to commit to an open break. The many Russian spies within the government inform Alexander of ongoing negotiations with the EU, and the Egyptian police have been remarkably incompetent at shutting down anti-Russian groups, some of which are on surprisingly good terms with the officially pro-Russian government.

I understand that the POD and Alexander's Ambitions may not exactly make this possible in terms of geopolitics BUT.

Does anyone have a few extra pointers to help me flesh out this as a possibility that may have risen out of the collapse.

I mean its a long shot but I'm thinking its at least a possibility that something positive, would have gotten out of all this madness.

Just saying it as a suggestion nothin' more

I'd have to do the reread of all of the canon omakes I've been meaning to do to be sure, but I think Egypt is the only African country mentioned in a canon work. Specifically in this one:
5. Talab
One merely has to examine its origins to understand the ethos that drives North Africa's most celebrated PMC. Formed from the myriad veterans, both regular and irregular, who watched their respective homelands burn as the sudden destruction of the region's major foreign backers, the dramatic rise in food prices and the collapse of the global oil market hammered the Middle East. Egypt, however, remained a safe haven, the closest of the remaining intact Arabic-speaking countries to the Arabian Peninsula. As the Egyptian government struggled to maintain order and retain control over the Suez Canal in the hope that international trade might soon resume, there proved a fertile market for those with military skils. Zaid Hamdan, a Jordanian Special Operations Forces veteran, gathered several of his old colleagues along with a handful of former Saudi and Iraqi personnel and submitted a bid for a contract securing the West Bank and finding a terrorist cell which had bombed a Coptic mass in Alexandria. The West Bank was rapidly secured, the terrorist cell captured or neutralized in a month, and soon Hamdan's company had a new name; Talab, or request, a multinational professional force serving at the beck and call of their paymasters in Cairo, with whom they maintain warm relations to this day.

As Egypt built itself into a regional powerhouse, and to its surprise became the dominant power in the Mediterranean, Talab became a beacon for many other veterans of the Middle East's endless conflicts, and rapidly found itself flush with manpower and lucrative government contracts. Egypt's determination to defend the Suez has begun to pay off as international trade sluggishly restarts and African goods and raw materials begin to flow into Europe: its domination of the Mediterranean has helped them acquire numerous contracts in Spain, Southern France and the Italian peninsula. Its greatest coups thus far include its success in assassinating two prominent warlords during a lightning campaign conducted by the city-state of Mosul, peacefully merging with its Persian rival Shamshir Limited, and securing a massive contract from the African Union to provide security for the planned reconstruction of Mecca and Medina as part of a joint initiative to once more make the Hajj safe for pilgrims. It has also made a fortune from a recent upswing in contracts with the Egyptian military as tensions flare with Ethiopia over plans to resume construction of the Grand Renaissance Dam.

As foreign attempts to establish closer diplomatic ties with the various North African powers begin, Talab has had to fend off a great deal of competition from NLI, Streltsy Group and Hastati, a smaller Spanish PMC. It retains its controlling stake in the market for anti-piracy security in the Suez and the Persian Gulf, and has forged close ties with several of the re-emerging rump states in Iraq and Syria, providing training and equipment as the fires in the Middle East slowly start to die out. True to its name, it remains a fearsome force for all who can afford their services, and a potent symbol of how the Collapse has shifted the old axis of power to altogether unexpected places.

I am, it should be established, happy to fuzz those details if they don't wind up fitting in with the work we do. Don't feel constrained.
Okay...lets throw a few things in its favor.

Well, I'm personally thinking that EAF is in a good position relatively when it comes to its location and resource.

1. It has great Water security controlling Lake Victoria, Lake Albert, and a stake in the Nile River with South Sudan's location, not as much as Ethiopia but considerable water security and a population to work with.

2. Population is about 190 Million at an estimate and controls a vital trade lane near the horn of Africa.

3. It has political capital, especially with the proposed Capital of Arusha being considered by many to be "The Geneva of Africa" and for the sake of ability, I'm guessing they see the winds of the Economic sea changing enough to get into some form of local industrialization and mobilize its population for growth and development.

I'm assuming that Refugees would try to get into this place if it somehow did survive.

4. I assume its far enough away that Alexander won't go for it immediately, given its geography and location relative to russia.

5. Due to its rivers, hydro electric dams...and solar panels. I don't know If it will work

Proposed Worldbuilding: Nigeria

Sometimes it's almost too easy.

Nigeria didn't draw Russian attention for quite some time. The Collapse had crippled Nigeria's economy, and the economic depression had shattered the country's fragile democracy. The notoriously corrupt and brutal ruling class failed to make even a good-faith effort to prevent widespread famine, and the anti-government uprisings that followed soon transitioned into widespread civil war along ethnic and religious lines. There was no "Nigeria" worth speaking of for decades after the Collapse.

The rise of a military junta didn't concern the Tsar, who had never even paid lip service to ideals of democracy. What did concern Tsar Alexander was the military junta's success in rebuilding the oil industry. While the Tsar was genuinely opposed to continued dependence on oil, he was particularly concerned by the European assistance that the junta was receiving. In a cold-blooded act of realpolitik, the surviving democracies of the European Union were lending their aid to a vicious, repressive military government that could provide them with cheap oil.

Russian attempts to bribe the junta failed. Not because of high-minded ideals of "self-determination", but because the junta knew exactly how much their "black gold" was worth in a world where the Russians had burned down almost every other independent source of oil. A few of the most ambitious generals dreamed of a reunified Nigeria, or perhaps even a Nigeria that had grown beyond its pre-Collapse borders. Most of them had more limited visions of grand palaces and enormous foreign bank accounts. Oil was the key to all of their dreams, and they weren't willing to give up that wealth.

However, the junta's rule was built on the loyalty of an armed minority. Their power grew from the barrel of a gun. And Russia had a great many guns.

Russian "volunteers" began appearing in Nigeria, offering aid to the oppressed. Spetsnaz instructors provided training to rebels, while Russian freighters dropped off shipments of heavy machine guns and anti-tank weapons. The Russians were profoundly uninterested in politics; Islamist rebels received the same assistance as secessionists, and even the last remnants of the country's democratic movement found themselves being bankrolled by the Tsar.

The resulting civil war destroyed Nigeria entirely, breaking the country apart and creating several smaller nations with ongoing border disputes. In the chaos, all of Nigeria's oil production was destroyed by radical groups with absolutely no connection to the Russian Empire. The successor states have not attempted to resume production.

Without oil, the region that was once called Nigeria has reverted to subsistence farming with some cash crops. Corruption and brutality are so common as to be entirely unremarkable, and the region's main export is people; a steady stream of economic and political refugees head east or south or north, trying to find a better life.

Proposed Worldbuilding-The East African Federation

"You and I must work together to develop our country, to get education for our children, to have doctors, to build roads, to improve or provide all day-to-day essentials."- Jomo Kennyette, First Prime Minister of Kenya.

If one is to look at the Twenty-First Century with a critical eye for the future, they will tell you it is nothing more then a hell of dispair, with Civil Wars raging and or flairing up across the earth in one way or another. It is a dark place, with a murdered Superpower being replaced by the hand that wrote its destruction, a world that cannot hope to defeat the world Alexander had created.

They had murdered nations to cut off oil, shattered a continent for the fear of reprisal, and for the sake of their long-term security broke the spine of another...and let it fall into civil war.

In an era of strife, reaction, pain and misery, there wasn't a lot to look for that wasn't utterly tainted by Russia's influence.

Yet there was one miracle...a single aberration that held firm...though not without issues (And there were a great many of them that had to b sorted out in the nearly 50 years of war and strife, it broke twice and it took two wars to stitch it all back together) and frequent replacement of government .

--------------------

East Africa had been in the midst of its founding when the Collapse came, and it was assumed it would lead to a collapse of the Nation as it went back to the Six nations that formed it, a believable notion at the time, Uganda and South Sudan were targets of Alexander's Oil wrecking ambitions.

Any normal nation would have cut their losses then and now and talk about it later...when Alexander wasn't trying to bomb your oil pipeline that brings crude from the Congo.

East Africa, in a fury that the next colonial master has come to rape, pillage their lands and resources and leave them in poverty in another scramble for Africa. Stood as Poland did and fought the Russians at nearly every turn for as long as they could.

Armed Seperatist of the Mombasa Republican Council (MRC)? Cracked down by Metropolitan Police of Mombasa in a 5 week house to house search for seperatists.

The bombing of Roads to cut off Communications? Send runners until we fix the phones.

Refugee Crisis in the Congo? Give them arms and training to fix the problem and fix the problem themselves

Seizure of Off-Shore Oil facilities? Try and take them back as many times as this back and forth can go.

Lack of Trade by sea? Go Overland, someone's got to have somoene.

Bombing of your Capital by Drones? Just Rebuild it.

Bombing of Motercades? Walking seems like a good idea, we need to conserve the oil.

Invasion by Ethiopia?

Huh...that's new? (It was to secure water from Lake Turkana and its surrounding rivers, water wars is the reason for a lot of things in africa.)

FIght them until things start falling apart and we white peace.

And they did...up until the Speznaz bombed the peace conference to enflame tensions and try to collapse the East African government.

Survive years of Russian Sponsered Political termoil? Well...

Yeah, that sparked Uganda and South Sudan to leave so they don't get horribly murdered by Russia, who proceeds to puppet them for a time.

Keeping four out of Six States, still an accomplishment.

The Federation was badly shaken by this situation and by 2050 they had spent the better part of 30 years trying to keep something resembling a nation going, if not for the future then for the obligation that they would not be taken by colonialism again. Many had seen the dream as something formed from the twilight of the American world system...the accumulation of an idea of Pan-Africanism that had long since been a pipe dream by many.

The Federation was unstable, Governments came and went in recall elections, assassinations, political violence, political coups and one attempted military coup later, many were seeing the doubts in the system at large.

It had protected them for as long as it could, it had seen the rise and fall of the African people again and again in the Collapse. It had seen glory, tragedy, triumph and shame.

Millions died for it...and it seemed they had died for nothing.

And that SHOULD have been the end...the sad whimper of a People, destened to be ruled by outsiders once again, as Puppets of the Russian Empire. (Occupation 2053-2056)

And it was ruled by Puppet leaders of the Russian Empire...for all of THREE YEARS.

Three Years...was all it took for the Russian Puppet Governments of East Africa to be overthrown, eliminated and otherwise thrown back into the sea.

How did this happen? Government Preparation.

The Federation Knew that they couldn't exactly keep the machine going against the power of Russia and their imported Victorian Mercenaries they sent to keep the puppets in power, so they devised the Jomo Emergency Plan, an underground government emergency plan to fight the Colonial Puppets that would be created wherever and when ever possible to destabilize the nations until the situation become untenable and using the Lessions learned in Fighting Russian Puppets, a history of success in spite of the odds, some proding from Germany and some arms leftover from Poland, they did the impossible.

They had driven them from their homelands and reestablished native control, but for all of their victory they had inherited a broken set of nations, the water of life remained, their infestucture that survived was cutting edge but the scars of Victorian warcrimes had made East Africa scared and distrustful.

As of 2070, nearly 17 years after being broken and marred to the point of being considered inert by Russia, East Africa Federation remains as the premier bulwark against Impirialism. Dispite constant bombings by the Russian Airforce, the occasional insurgency and a often broken national infrastructure, The Dream of African Unity never died...

Current Agenda on its plate.

1. Bother Ethiopia, they keep trying to form seperatist groups in our rivers and lake areas. Make them stop.

2. Stablize Puppet Regime in the Congo.

3. Get South Sudan Back...last thing we need is to have etheopia grab it.

4. Fix Roads after recent bombings.

AN: Well here's an idea.

I know that my omake about the Horn of Africa and the Great Lakes region wasn't made canon and I honestly don't think it should anymore (there are multiple things that contradict canon now) but perhaps some information can be considered.

The Horn of Africa and African Great Lakes:

Far from the ratcheting tensions between the Russian Empire, the European Union, and the Republic of China and less of a priority to Russian interests, the east of Africa has none-of-the-less become one of the most dynamic places in the world and up until recent events in North America has been one of the greatest sources of break out states in the world. The nations of East Africa suffered greatly from the Collapse, and yet after the worst of the Collapse they were free of heavy foreign influence and could remake themselves in a way that helped their people, instead of the Great Powers who would seek to exploit them. Now the East African nations manage alliances and trade deals between each other and reach out to other powers on their own terms, seeking to forge their own path in a completely new world.

History: From Horrors to Hope

East Africa of the 2010s was a place of rapid economic growth, but also smoldering tensions. Africa's population was young and burgeoning and could serve as a great asset to the nations, provided infrastructure could keep up. The two greatest powers of the world, the late United States and People's Republic of China, became interested in boosting Africa's potential growth and the states of Africa could try to benefit from the interest. On the other hand, governments in East Africa were frequently corrupt and flawed democracies, and were vulnerable to the large foreign powers and constantly strained by poor resource distribution. In truth, African nations were on a knife's edge, between being able to play a new Scramble of Africa to their own benefit, to falling victim to foreign powers and internal turmoil. But for the decade, the nations in East Africa were generally able to manage the Scramble with impressive skill, until the American Sovereign Default Crisis sent the world into chaos.

By the 2020s, the United States was mired in recession and could not afford any resources to focus any influence in Africa, the Russian Federation had collapsed into civil war, and the African nations were truly left alone with the People's Republic of China. At this point, China was experiencing greater instability due to the growing economic chaos and in its desperation, it tried to alleviate some of its internal socioeconomic turmoil by increasing their exploitation of Africa. Particularly for East African nations, China threw away the fig leaf of a partnership and fully committed to a neocolonialist mindset for acquiring resources from the countries. Chinese money completely bought out East African governments, and Chinese troops repressed African people. So while East Africa continued to experience rapid economic growth, almost none of it was going back to the African communities, and internal violence was barely contained.

These conditions would not last, as the Communist party struggled to deal with growing Chinese anger and increasingly more coordinated African rebels. The PRC started pulling their support out of East Africa by the late 2020s, and abruptly cut all contact when the Bayou Plague[@] reached the region through the Nile River in July 2035. Without the intense suppression from China, support from the dying United States, and the surging Russian Empire distracted elsewhere, the region exploded into a conflagration of violence and death. Nations reeled as their patron vanished and the intercommunity tensions and climate degradation hit with full force. The Democratic Republic of Congo collapsed in October 2035 and this would spark the Second Great African War when other desperate African nations tried to plunder the ruins of the country. The war lasted a little over two years and resulted in 8 million deaths, only ending in a stalemate because the belligerents had all exhausted themselves. Ethiopia descended into an ethnic civil war in February 2038, Ebola became endemic throughout East Africa, and the Great Lakes nations were brought low by famine. By 2043, only a few key alliances of municipalities would have anything like stable control, and the rest would be a free-for-all. It seemed like East Africa's potential star had faded to oblivion.

The light was reignited in the most unlikely of places; Somalia had collapsed into a coalition of city states far sooner than the rest of East Africa, being both a victim of Chinese and later Ethiopian encroachment in the 2020s. But when Ethiopia exploded into a Yugoslavia-like civil war, the city states rallied together under a rekindling of the Dervish movement in 2039. By 2044, the city states turned into a formal confederation along with Djibouti and executed peacekeeping campaigns in Ethiopia's Somali region (which they later annexed). The successful execution of this strategy caught the attention of Oman and the Mataram Sultanate and negotiations between the two sides begun. While Oman and the Sultanate were far richer than Somalia, Somalia's larger size meant that negotiations between them were on even ground. By Somalia acquired needed green technologies and modern infrastructure, while Oman and the Sultanate were able to secure their own positions with the help of the Somalian military.

By the 2050s, the worst of the Collapse had passed, and other states began to recover. The Russian Empire sought to both secure the route to the Suez Canal and assure continued stability in the Upper Nile and supported what was left of the Ethiopian government to restabilize their lands in 2051 and secured them a coast to deter Yemeni piracy[#]. Meanwhile, the Great Lake communities and the coastal cities increased trade and established a formal alliance in 2052. By 2056, the city states and statelets came together under a single constitution as the East African Federation. The late 2050s and 2060s would see the states of East Africa continue to organize and develop as they traded and jostled between one another. And by 2070, Africa has made itself known.

Modern East Africa as of 2075:

Nowadays, East Africa is home to some breakout powers who are all thoroughly uninterested in participating in the developing three-pronged cold war. After repairing the damage from the Collapse, the nations are finally looking outward on their own terms and are communicating with many of the nations in the world.

The Federated Empire of Ethiopia: As a nation that received significant Russian aid in the 2050s, Ethiopia is a one-party state that abides to most of the Russian Empire's wishes. It works with the Russian navy to assure safe passage through the Red Sea and acts as Russia's carrot and stick regarding relations with Egypt [$]. However, Ethiopia is a grudging client state, as the government is still angered by the loss of Somali West but is reined in by the Russian Empire. Still, they willfully rejected the Commonwealth delegates, showing no care for the events occurring in North America.

The Islamic Confederacy of Somalia: Somalia has come a long way from the early 21st century and has benefited massively from the support of Oman and the Mataram Sultanate. Now a constitutional monarchy headed by a descendant of Mohammed Abdullah Hassan, its small but advanced national military frequently ships out to Vietnam and Malaysia in various efforts to support its PACS allies. Despite this, Somalia's economy is extremely reliant on foreign support, especially to help restore their devastated semi-arid and arid ecosystems. To deal with this, Somalia has diversified its foreign relationships and has heavily focused on strengthening relations with India. It has reached some feelers to Europe and China, but sharing a border with a Russian client has given them significant pause.

East African Federation: With a large amount of fertile land and preexisting negotiations, the EAF was uniquely able to recover without too much foreign support. It is an ever changing democracy—if a bit on the conservative side. The country initially more parochial ideologies but they have begun to hit some political limits as the ideologies have poorly coped with the new world. The spread of green technology has been slow as endemic companies have worked to limit it via lobbying and its opinionated views on various subjects have made foreign relationships lukewarm at best. Meanwhile Pan-Africanism is gaining ground in the country especially among the younger generation. Still, the EAF is following a far more independent foreign strategy and has made contacts with every power in the world.

[@] I didn't see a name for the plague that struck New Orleans, so I just threw in some crappy name. I can change it if it's bad.
[#]To help alleviate the initial issue of Somalia's annexation of Ethiopia lands, they helped Ethiopia annex Eritrea and gain access to green tech.
[$] The carrot part involves making sure the Nile River receives enough water to keep Egypt alive, while the stick is pressuring Egypt if they get too friendly with Europe.

-------------------------------

A/N: So here's some attempt at describing the political conditions of a part of Africa. I reduced my view to a very specific part of Africa, because I doubt I wouldn't be able to do justice to the whole continent. I assumed that Africa would probably recover faster than North America since there isn't a Victoria going around crushing any attempt at rebuilding. But maybe I'm totally off my rocker. Up to you PoptartProdigy

Last edited:
Back