Assassin always looks amazing. I want a spin off where Taiga summons him as a Saber Class!

Taiga/Assassin OTP!

If you're wondering which ending it is going to be, consider how much ufotable is fawning over Saber in this adaptation.

Then think about which ending Saber survives in. :V

You may now make an educated guess about where they're taking this.

Last edited:
Fate/Stay DEEN was one of my earliest anime, actually, and it's what got me into the Type-Moon franchise in the first place. Even accounting for the nostalgia goggles and my lack of exposure to better stuff at the time, it's still alright.

It is irrelevant since it is relative to rest of Fate. On its own it could be called, but as part of something else its quality is compared to that.

After all, something is "good" or "bad" not because they inherently have those properties, but because they are compared to other works. Adaptation are bound to be compared to original and related works rather than your average work. And if that original and others are above average, bar for being called good is also raised.

Funnily enough it doesn't apply other way around. Adaptation of bad work would be compared to average rather than to work.

It is similar to Hellsing, really. Original wasn't that bad and it had kickass OST, but you should never watch it over Ultimate. It doesn't matter how good it is compared to average, it is still bad in context.
.. i shouldn't write while i'm drunk, i bullshit way too much

After all, something is "good" or "bad" not because they inherently have those properties, but because they are compared to other works. Adaptation are bound to be compared to original and related works rather than your average work. And if that original and others are above average, bar for being called good is also raised.
I'm not arguing that Deen's adaptation is some pinnacle of animated genius, or that it is somehow better than Ufotable's works. It's not a particularly great adaptation by any standard, but at the same time it isn't bad enough that we should disavow all knowledge of it's existence, unlike that which shall remain unnamed.

I think you're confusing it with the Tsukihime anime.
Fate/Stay Deen is actually aknowledged as existing.
The Deen adaptation is mediocre, but it isn't THAT bad. At worst it's just meh.
I actually dislike the DEEN adaptation more than the also non-existent Tsukihime anime. Why? Simple, it's the source of most antagonism towards Shirou, making him like an idiot, pathetic, sexist character when he was anything but.

At least Tsukihime anime didn't damage the series/characters' reputation too much, and it wasn't too bad on its own merits. DEEN adaptation? They're bad as both an independent story and an adaptation, and it also damaged the original's reputations. It has no redeeming value, all negative in my eyes.

That's why I prefer to not think it exists, because it would be so much better if it really didn't exist.

Oh, wow.

Kiritsugu mentored Maiya, who ended up completely subservient to him, unsuited for any kind of normal life, and in bed with him.

Kotomine Kirei mentored Rin Tohsaka, and the worst he did was empty her family coffers, either because he cannot into finances or because he thinks poverty is good for the soul.

Kiritsugu cheated on his wife.

Kirei remained faithful to his until her death.

And when Kirei was handed a girl, his response was "Holy cow! A messed up guy like me is the last person who should be an influence on her!" And he gave Hortensia to others to raise.

I mean, Kiritsugu wanted to save the world and (post Gil) Kirei wants to see it burn for kicks, but dang if it doesn't seem that Mr. Rejoice's moral compass functions a lot better where close personal relationships are concerned than his rival's does.

I have one key counter-argument to all of that: Kirei was the one who murdered Rin's father. He's half responsible for her plight, the other half is due to co-conspirator Gilgamesh, who actually convinced Kirei to do it and created the set-up that lead to Rin's mother getting brain damage.

I hear that a bunch of UFOtable staff quit because they didn't have the heart to work on what was likely the most heart-wrenching scene in UBW.

Was it something one of the bad guys did?

Creepy Caster is creepy. It's a real shame that she's never seen without her hood.

Edit:
Now as gif

Caster wants the Man(a).

I have one key counter-argument to all of that: Kirei was the one who murdered Rin's father. He's half responsible for her plight, the other half is due to co-conspirator Gilgamesh, who actually convinced Kirei to do it and created the set-up that lead to Rin's mother getting brain damage.

Was it something one of the bad guys did?

Caster wants the Man(a).
Gil rips out Illya's heart at one point.
It's a bad pun.

Those are like the Mami headjokes. Endless morbid humor.
Don't forget the knife either.

Last edited:
The knife turns it from mere betrayal to BETRAYAL MOST FOUL.

Tokiomi's greatest mistake (other than cheating by colluding with the really wrong guy) seems to have been summoning the strongest Servant of all , without considering whether the two of them could actually work together. It's not like Risei or Kirei forced him to summon Gilgamesh.

And perhaps letting anybody know that he intended to sacrifice Gilgamesh was an incredibly dumb idea. Had that remained a deep secret of Tokiomi, maybe he'd still be alive.

The knife turns it from mere betrayal to BETRAYAL MOST FOUL.

Tokiomi's greatest mistake (other than cheating by colluding with the really wrong guy) seems to have been summoning the strongest Servant of all , without considering whether the two of them could actually work together. It's not like Risei or Kirei forced him to summon Gilgamesh.

And perhaps letting anybody know that he intended to sacrifice Gilgamesh was an incredibly dumb idea. Had that remained a deep secret of Tokiomi, maybe he'd still be alive.
Well, it's something all Masters were supposed to do, and he was telling it to his student who he trusted.

Last edited:
Back