So, is Apocrypha worth a watch? I don't know anything about it except who's in it and that people hate a guy named Sieg, which I assume is the guy in the cover with Jeanne.
It's wasted potential incarnate. There are some good scenes, but a lot of them were cut from the LN as it was adapted, so you're definitely not in line for a masterpiece. It's not offensively bad if you're not a big fan of the verse itself, but it's mediocre at best with a few standout moments.

The first half is really goddamn boring, the second half is better but still a mixed bag, with some parts which are genuinely pretty good and some parts which are genuinely very bad. The final arc, which is basically centered on quite spectacular action sequences, is the strongest part, with some episodes being quite effective. Not all, but some.

The foley is definitely kind of OTT though. I need to look into this more because Ordinal Scale, the Sword Art Online film, had similar issues. I suspect there was a desire to ape the soundscape of Ufotable's UBW, just as there is clearly a desire to ape its visuals.

Are Anne Bonny and Mary Read a couple? They're referred to as the yuri pirates on the FGO thread by a few folk, and I'm kinda curious. The Type Moon wiki seems to just imply they're close friends, in contrast, with Anne regarding Mary as nothing but a friend and little sister.
Aside from what's been mentioned earlier, there's a significant degree of implication in their Noble Phantasm's title that gets lost in translation.

Basically, with their Noble Phantasm, "Caribbean Free Bird - Wings Abreast as if Trees with Entwined Branches [hiyoku nishite renri]", the kanji that mean "Wings Abreast" ["Hiyoku", literally "Match/Compare - Wing"] are a compound used in some idioms relating to lovers ("Hiyoku no Tori", "Birds of Matched Wings" meaning a happy married couple; "Hiyokuzuka", "Matched Wing Mound/Tomb" being a shared grave for lovers who died together). The kanji that read as "Trees with Entwined Branches" ["Renri", literally "Join/Connect - Logic/Arrangement"] can also mean "an intimate relationship" (albeit one usually applied to one between a man and a woman, but we are talking about women who cross-dressed to get into the piracy business, so...), meaning the Noble Phantasm's title could just as well be read as "Wings Abreast like an Intimate Relationship".

And for the final touch, if you drop the "as if" conjoining term ("nishite") from between the two compounds stated above, you get "Hiyokurenri", an idiom for "marital vows".

So between that, and what we have of the dialogue between them, it's very heavily implied that they're lovers, without saying it directly.

Last edited:
Thanks fam.

So I heard something about Arthurs line being rewritten?
Yea, 5th Bond Line is brand new. Ayaka got cut out. Its more for 'you' now, complete with blushing sprite. Its weird.

I like that he equates you to sunshine though, contrasting Ayaka and the Garden that have moonlight associated with it.

Aside from what's been mentioned earlier, there's a significant degree of implication in their Noble Phantasm's title that gets lost in translation.

Basically, with their Noble Phantasm, "Caribbean Free Bird - Wings Abreast as if Trees with Entwined Branches [hiyoku nishite renri]", the kanji that mean "Wings Abreast" ["Hiyoku", literally "Match/Compare - Wing"] are a compound used in some idioms relating to lovers ("Hiyoku no Tori", "Birds of Matched Wings" meaning a happy married couple; "Hiyokuzuka", "Matched Wing Mound/Tomb" being a shared grave for lovers who died together). The kanji that read as "Trees with Entwined Branches" ["Renri", literally "Join/Connect - Logic/Arrangement"] can also mean "an intimate relationship" (albeit one usually applied to one between a man and a woman, but we are talking about women who cross-dressed to get into the piracy business, so...), meaning the Noble Phantasm's title could just as well be read as "Wings Abreast like an Intimate Relationship".

And for the final touch, if you drop the "as if" conjoining term ("nishite") from between the two compounds stated above, you get "Hiyokurenri", an idiom for "marital vows".

So between that, and what we have of the dialogue between them, it's very heavily implied that they're lovers, without saying it directly.
So basically their NP should've been called "Caribbean Lovebirds?"

Unless the localisation team thought they were more closely related to sweet tunes.

So basically their NP should've been called "Caribbean Lovebirds?"

Unless the localisation team thought they were more closely related to sweet tunes.
The name was always "Caribbean Free Bird". It was just a matter of how to translate the title.

According to Kyte, after discussing it with some Japanese-speaking individuals, his translation of the title back before NA F/GO was even considered was "Bond of Lovebirds". It maintains the intent, despite being a less literal translation.

... The idea of 'trees with entwined branches' does have some romantic implications in English as well (certain European stories involving trees growing on a pair of lovers' graves, where the branches reach out to one another), but it's not as obvious if you don't know the stories in question.

Last edited:
The name was always "Caribbean Free Bird". It was just a matter of how to translate the title.
Yes I know, but the NA release baleeted the title text and it's not in their bios so they might as well have localised it to Caribbean Lovebirds, because it's close enough to the Japanese name while also incorporating the essential meaning of the title.

It's already in English, so I really shouldn't bother, but:

Ara.
I wonder at the manner of mistake that has arisen that a guest would here arrive.

If it happens to be the case that you're witnessing a dream, it is best that you returned from whence you came.

This is a place where boundaries are nonextant.
'Tis not a World where you who bear a Name can well linger.

1: No, by the time I came upon myself, I was already here ...
2: It isn't like I intended to come here ...

You haven't come by your own intention, then?
In that case -- fufu, I apologize.

It would appear that it is I who have with you entered unto a tie of En (, "karmic connection").
I shall here bid you my apologies, Gudako-san.

TL;DR: Guda's been to the place where Boundaries don't exist.

Eldritch abomination? Guda will befriend it in a day. Bond 10 in a week.

I mean you can replace that Demon with Eresh and fits 100%

"What is a living human doing here? Speak mortal"

"King Gilgamesh ordered me to found some herbs...and I got lost?"

"What."

In Melty Blood, "the 6th" is the destruction that TATARI thinks humanity will have to eventually confront.

Behold the Destruction of Mankind

Last edited:
Two new Servants:

EDIT: note that the Saber is voiced by a woman, Nanako Mori. We can assume that Saber is therefore likely to be a woman.

Last edited:
Back