Threads Of Destiny(Eastern Fantasy, Sequel to Forge of Destiny)

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I can edit the ages to be older, if that is the only problem. What year of ascension is good for such a genius? 100? 200? 300? the other breakthroughs will be adjusted accordingly. I scaled him off Shenhua, but I guess her hack accounted for more than merely >10 talent.

I thought making the Meng ancestor spent his day on gatcha would be the thing that would be obstructive.

Well I can always fudge the series as not taking place in the present so individual characterization is not as much an issue, let me think about it

Inserted tally

Because she'll have her own land, the tending of which is, frankly, a full time job.

We could pay her to help us in an excursion, but full time employment would be setting her up to fail as a baron, and, more importntly to her, to fail her subjects. Assuming we can even pay her.
Everyone keeps assuming she wants land but nothing we've seen from her indicates she wants power and influence. Maybe she will want her own little batch of mortals that are *hers* to protect, but that's far from guaranteed. Unless you are claiming barons have no choice but to be given land, which would seem to conflict with the way that barons get new land in the first place.

I don't have any interest in Su Ling working for Ling Qi but the people saying it can't happen are making claims of certitude about in-universe rules that I've seen no evidence for.

Last edited:
Everyone keeps assuming she wants land but nothing we've seen from her indicates she wants power and influence. Maybe she will want her own little batch of mortals that are *hers* to protect, but that's far from guaranteed. Unless you are claiming barons have no choice but to be given land, which would seem to conflict with the way that barons get new land in the first place.

I don't have any interest in Su Ling working for Ling Qi but the people saying it can't happen are making claims of certitude about in-universe rules that I've seen no evidence for.
I expect her land to be largely untamed except for a singular gigantic nomad city filled with pill forges (on wheels).

I have addressed this in another post but... basically, every other career possibility that doesn't get her hunted by the MoI is also forbidding of her working for us. Only ways for her to without us being Viscounts is for her to marry or get adopted into our clan.

I have addressed this in another post but... basically, every other career possibility that doesn't get her hunted by the MoI is also forbidding of her working for us. Only ways for her to without us being Viscounts is for her to marry or get adopted into our clan.
So you assert. But as I explicitly said, I have seen no evidence for the assertion that (young) greens cannot choose to be long-term employees of a baron and must choose one of (1) join a ministry, (2) stay in a sect, or (3) be a vassal (along with the implication that their choice must be permanent).

Maybe this is all a perfectly accurate logic chain deriving from Word of God that was passed down from on high (probably in discord) and all these assertions of great certainty are, in fact, correct, but (again) I have seen no evidence that warrants these confident statements that certain things are impossible rather than unusual (and therefore unlikely).

There's also the whole "of the court" thing, where nobles have a title and all the rights associated with it, but lack any land to go with it. Very useful, even borderline mandatory, if you have any significant size nobility social class.

So you assert. But as I explicitly said, I have seen no evidence for the assertion that (young) greens cannot choose to be long-term employees of a baron and must choose one of (1) join a ministry, (2) stay in a sect, or (3) be a vassal (along with the implication that their choice must be permanent).

Maybe this is all a perfectly accurate logic chain deriving from Word of God that was passed down from on high (probably in discord) and all these assertions of great certainty are, in fact, correct, but (again) I have seen no evidence that warrants these confident statements that certain things are impossible rather than unusual (and therefore unlikely).

I never even entered discord. I just marathoned all 4000 pages of discussion instead of going through the story via reader mode.

I do not want to play with hidden cards, so I'll state the things I do know, followed by extrapolations I made due to them. I do accept that most extrapolations could be wrong, but I think the logic they are based on is sound.

1. The MoI really REALLY doesn't want anyone to be outside the chain of command that starts with the emperor. How you get in that chain of command is not very relevant, but they want you well and truly bound. Extrapolation: I doubt mercenary relationships are tolerated, unless said mercenary is already bound via some other way.
  2. If you wander off after your obligations are fulfilled, you are given a grace period of... I don't remember exactly, but it was no less than seven and no more than 10 years. Extrapolation: Most likely the truth is somewhere in between mercenary relationships being tolerated and not being, so mercenary relationships may be able to buy a bigger grace period with excuses such as "I am gathering money to kickstart my barony" but such excuse won't work forever.
  3. The sect is protective of its higher level secrets. That means that while one can leave the Inner Sect with a NDA, (extrapolation starts here, but I cannot segue into it) the core sect is likely harder to leave. Further extrapolation: the stronger you are, the more strongly the system wants you bound. That said...
  4. You are right that career changes seem possible, Jiao being the biggest example, so I never disputed that. Extrapolation: Reaching to Indigo while our classmate is Green/Cyan is possible, and although poaching her from another lord will have political consequences, it could be possible. Poaching her from the Sect/Military/Ministries should be even easier. We don't know for sure, but I never opposed this course of action because we have too little information. My argument went towards people who wanted her now
  5. It is also technically possible to become a hermit, but that requires a Way incompatible with society and not dangerous to it, so you are still unrecruitable.
Finally, some WoG of things that may be less well known. Sorry for quote pinging yrsillar (Unsure how to avoid doing it though. New to SV). Since I am pinging you anyway though, may as well tell you to place my two omake points to war.

Generally if the scion of a commoner family promotes like that, the 'proper' thing to do is for their lieges to find them a fief within a reasonable time frame. If your direct liege is a baron, you get passed up the chain to their liege. If for some reason the liege fails to provide, it is considered reasonable to put in a request with the ministry of law to resolve the issue, which might result in a severing of obligations. Of course this is only theoretical for the most part, it would be incredibly embarrassing for a higher house to be unable to provide like that, and so they wouldn't let it get that far. If for some reason they don;t want to spin off the family it is far more likely that they'd go through other channels, like adoption or marriage to absorb them outright than for them to leave things hanging.

I am sure there was at least 1 more relevant quote,and a more definitive one at that, but I am not adept enough at search fu to find it. Either way, it implies that if you employ a baron full time without them being part of your family and without "you" being the abstract "you" of an organization, you have to provide land

Again, may I note, being a baron/of baronial rank =/= being a green=/= being a landholding baron. Baron means green before 17. We can employ commoner greens with impunity. Landholding Baron means baron that holds land, but Barons that go to the ministry or the military or the Sect get a Writ of nobility all the same, so they are still considered peers to other barons. And, see, the fox we hunt for is a baron

Last edited:
So, for upcoming interests in this turn, I'm particularly excited for any interplay between Melodies of the Spirit Seeker and Songseeking Ceremony. I've seen some talk that this turn we will be helping Yuan Na, the person we beat at musical expression and then Hanyi bullied, get her spirit as we promised. While I haven't seen Yrs saying that is what is happening, I think such an event would work wonderfully with SSC and MoSS up and running.

But even if it doesn't happen, I'm excited about the potential that SSC will be sending us off to explore the more wild areas of the Sect to interact and bargain with spirits, and MoSS will be of great help for that. Ling Qi has profited a great deal already from interacting with the spirits of the world, and I would like to see that trend continue.

It's kinda funny that, assuming we're really hanging out with Yu Nuan this turn, we're maxing out our Spirit Ken kind of unnecessarily, when that event could've filled up the holes

It's kinda funny that, assuming we're really hanging out with Yu Nuan this turn, we're maxing out our Spirit Ken kind of unnecessarily, when that event could've filled up the holes
Maybe, maybe not. If we do any theoretical Yu Nuan arc, hopefully, it would be after we have done the spirit ken training. And depending on the length of the arc I would rather have C rank spirit ken than letting the arc drive us up to C rank spirit ken.

Back