On... time? Is there supposed to be a schedule? Or was the posting date significant?

I try --- key word, try --- to update this every two weeks, usually on Thursday evenings. Unfortunately, my haste may have led to another poor decision, as I find myself very much wishing I'd split this update in two. Even if the choice in the middle would have been largely cursory (like, even more than usual), I don't like how this flows as a singular chapter --- Candeloro's introduction feels like it ends up going by a little too quick, and problems start occurring a little too immediately. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't still split it actually, just to make it all flow in a more narratively pleasing fashion to myself. Would anyone be annoyed by that? I imagine it might make reading through this section of the thread a little awkward in the future, but I just don't think I like the way I did things very much as is... or maybe it reads fine, and I'm stressing over this for no reason? Tell me what you think.

Eh, most teenagers get a little weird when they think they're acting paternal and aren't use to it. Makes me think Ash was an only child as a human. Not that everything else about her doesn't.

I imagine a magical girl would feel especially weird about acting paternal, not being male and all. :p Pedantry aside, while I'm not gonna say anything about Ash's family status, I will say that although she doesn't remember her specific age, she does know that she, Sayaka, and Tira are all in roughly the same age group. This makes any such comparisons very weird one way or the other.

Now I don't know if this is universal, but the traditional staple for New Year's food in my family is ham, baked beans and potatoes aug rotem, or cheesey potatoes. Many new years platers also include cheese and crackers. If Mami has those kinda associations, then yes, cheese is on the menu!

Hmm... I'll need to look into this, I think.

Also, very interesting! So her familiars will start heading out into the other barriers as soon as they can. It's hard to guess what they'll do without their profiles though. If their nature is to serve, I could see them trying to do things for other beings in the barrier. Acting as a minder for Charlotte, doing odd jobs for Shemesh. If they don't mind working for lesser familiars, they could also help out the Polina, like assistant nurses, or garden with the Faas.

Their duty/nature is actually to guide visitors, which they technically do in part just by existing, due to a certain feature of theirs. Whether or not they enjoy serving Candeloro, or anyone else for that matter, is slightly less clear.

Though it would be interesting to let them in to act as room service. Just have them wait outside the rooms until morning, then they can get Sayaka and Tira going without Ash having to mess with them directly. Hell, throw an illusion over them to look more human and they wouldn't even be upsetting to look at first thing after waking up. I wonder, if you illusioned a door to the room, would they play along? Pretending to open the door to enter the rooms? That'd be super cool.

You know, assuming things end up that way, Ashtaroth will at that point have an army of gardeners, a fleet of live-in maids, and more total owned acreage than your average airfield. All she'd need to do is get a mansion or two into the barrier to be considered definitive upper-class snobbery.

We may have more maximum altitude? Candeloro hasn't demonstrated her flight other than to be extremely agile and faster than a giant levitating brick book.

Your maximum altitude is unfortunately limited by the fact that the sky of the barrier does not actually go on forever (as seen in Confrontation 25). Candeloro is definitely faster than Ashtaroth either way, despite the size disparity.

Last edited:
Huh... couple that with a few other responses here and there, is Candeloro afraid of her friends geting hurt again? That would explain why she's so forceful about this keeping them here, a place she thinks is safe.
Mami's thing is her friends leaving her, and it seems pretty obvious that's the defining trait of her Witch as well. I don't see them being injured (though I don't think she'd like that) being the issue, just leaving and abandoning her in general.

They certainly offer more variety than Charlotte's barrier does, at least in terms of flavor. Though, the familiars only make a very specific category of food (which you can probably figure out without too much difficulty), so whether or not they can make cheese is up for debate.
Cheesecake?
If we had the supplies, I'd suggest we invite her to our place for a tea party.
We do, Charlotte spawns in her barrier at a tea party.

I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't still split it actually, just to make it all flow in a more narratively pleasing fashion to myself. Would anyone be annoyed by that? I imagine it might make reading through this section of the thread a little awkward in the future, but I just don't think I like the way I did things very much as is... or maybe it reads fine, and I'm stressing over this for no reason? Tell me what you think.
While it's not perfect, I think it would be a mistake to overthink it. While it probably isn't your strongest chapter, I don't think it was particularly weak either. Nothing happened that was unbelievable in the context of the story, and even if the pacing was slightly off, it wasn't enough to break the flow for me. Overall I'd say it's something to learn from, but not worth agonizing over.

I try --- key word, try --- to update this every two weeks, usually on Thursday evenings. Unfortunately, my haste may have led to another poor decision, as I find myself very much wishing I'd split this update in two. Even if the choice in the middle would have been largely cursory (like, even more than usual), I don't like how this flows as a singular chapter --- Candeloro's introduction feels like it ends up going by a little too quick, and problems start occurring a little too immediately. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't still split it actually, just to make it all flow in a more narratively pleasing fashion to myself. Would anyone be annoyed by that? I imagine it might make reading through this section of the thread a little awkward in the future, but I just don't think I like the way I did things very much as is... or maybe it reads fine, and I'm stressing over this for no reason? Tell me what you think.
It didn't really seem problematic to me, and it didn't seem like splitting it would help.

Their duty/nature is actually to guide visitors, which they technically do in part just by existing, due to a certain feature of theirs. Whether or not they enjoy serving Candeloro, or anyone else for that matter, is slightly less clear.
Well, play is more satisfying after having done a bit of work.
You know, assuming things end up that way, Ashtaroth will at that point have an army of gardeners, a fleet of live-in maids, and more total owned acreage than your average airfield. All she'd need to do is get a mansion or two into the barrier to be considered definitive upper-class snobbery.
Yeah, but the gardeners only plant tulips, the maids might be lazy, and there's no way to develop the land at a reasonable speed. The mouse infestation and surly drunks in the canals are really going to just crater the property value, and that's before we talk about the murderous vandals that keep breaking in. Then there's the two she kept. I'm pretty sure her entrapment of them is illegal, even if one was self-defense and the other an emergency life saving procedure. Legal mess, that's what that is.

None of this is unusual for the upper crust snobbery mind, but she needs to get it away from prying eyes before she thinks about getting membership at the local country club.

Last edited:
I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't still split it actually, just to make it all flow in a more narratively pleasing fashion to myself. Would anyone be annoyed by that? I imagine it might make reading through this section of the thread a little awkward in the future, but I just don't think I like the way I did things very much as is... or maybe it reads fine, and I'm stressing over this for no reason? Tell me what you think.
Whatever you think makes for a better story. I think most people would use Reader mode anyway, instead of reading the entire Thread.

The feature is the heart-shaped buckle that points at Candeloros cottage, right? I gess they could wander into other Labyrinths to find guests to guide.

There is the Mirror Witch with the Manor of Mirrors...

Ashtaroth possesses mobility?
Well, I was going to say that from what I've seen we can fly and she can only hover. But judging by Flairina's comments on our altitude limits I get the weird feeling I'm mistaken on that point.

I think you might know, but as a reminder, the number four sounds like the word for death in Japanese. Given a lack of other easy to reach associations, I'd think that's the likely connection.
Yeah, it just feels slightly too obvious for that to be the only reason.

Last edited:
We could have them alert her to a third friend outside who wanted to join but was too big for the entrance and suggest a picnic or taking the party to the porch
[X] Attempt to lure Candeloro outside to talk, by...
-[X] Grabbing the makings of a tea candy party from Charlotte's barrier and inviting her to YOURS.

I can only imagine what it would be like if ashtaroth brought the mirror witch along
The poor thing would be so very confused after all, even among witches it is a recluse

Technically, she's a landlord with two, depending on Shemesh's situation, maybe three people working for her and two tenants.
Okay, "no money" was incorrect; she has nontrivial assets. But none of her tenants pay rent, so she still has no income.

Shoot, that's what I was trying to avoid. Might meddle with that scene a little at some point to try and improve that.
The things which stuck out to me were changing /th/ to /k/ in "Ashturock" and /uh/ to /ay/ in "Ashtrayoff", neither of which feels like a natural mispronunciation (to me, noted non-expert that I am) (also, shifting sounds so as to combine consonants seems the less likely direction for a native Japanese speaker, but eh).
You only realize after already having said it just how... motherly that sounded. Ick, bad thoughts.
Mm? She doesn't want to be a mother? I suppose it would be a bit awkward, parenting someone who's older than you. (We don't know how old Ashtaroth and Tira are, but it seems reasonably likely, and in any case both of the megucas remember a much longer timespan.)

There's also a large red sign staked into the ground on the left, with black witch runes inscribed on its surface that read "Welcome All"
This may be relevant. Your minions can't read witch runes. Translate for them.

A bush covered in white flowers and trimmed into the shape of a picture frame is set high upon the back wall, at the center of which is another set of witch runes, these ones in white and which read "Happy Birthday".
Unfortunately, the birthday girl can only attend by proxy.

Sayaka and Tira aren't really looking at them however, their gazes instead focused on the unreasonably tall dining table sitting at the center of the space — atop its tasteful purple tablecloth lies a plethora of objects, including a large strawberry shortcake topped with merrily burning candles, several platters of fresh-looking tea biscuits, multiple royal blue teacup sets with matching empty plates... and a small, sprite-like being, hovering a good two or three feet over the table's actual surface.
Comma before however. I think it should be "lie a plethora of objects", but I'm not entirely sure. I'd use a period rather than an em-dash here.

Shouldn't there be zero candles, for our zeroth birthday? :V

neither Tira nor Sayaka are close enough
Is. Generally, the grammatical number of "neither x nor y" matches the number of x and y—if they are plural, it is plural; if they are singular, it is singular. If one is plural and one is singular you get a sentence which is awkward either way; convention seems to be that you use the number of the last one, which I do think is usually less awkward.

wait a second, she's communicating with her familiars? So that is a thing! Why can't you do that?
She's giving orders. You can do that, at least with Shemesh. Receiving information is more difficult.

If it were possible for you to mentally squint at Sayaka, you would be doing so right now.
You could physically squint at her. It'd be a pretty petty reason to bodyjack Tira, but you could do it.

<What, did you seriously think I was trying to talk with Charlotte yesterday by showing her random nonsense glyphs?>

<Yeah, pretty much.>
In her defense, that might actually work. Witches are weird, children are silly, and Charlotte is both.

Whether she's still sapient or not, she's certainly one of the more expressive witches you've come across thus far.
Ashtaroth: *Pouts in faceless*

…Ash and Charlotte are both pretty expressive, though Ash has to work at it. Saar wasn't, but 2.5/4 is still pretty good.

"Is this... toshikoshi soba?" Tira questions, squinting confusedly at her own bowl. "But we are months past New Years."
Is Candeloro limited to celebratory foods? No, that wouldn't explain the tea and biscuits—they're generic get-together food, not associated with anything in particular. (Unless they're specific types with special significance, I suppose.) I guess it could be food made specifically for social events—which, as Nottheunmaker points out, would include a cheese and crackers platter. Cheese and wine is also a thing, as is fondue, and fancy dinners sometimes have a cheese course before or after dessert.

Man, why is witch food so consistently amazing?
Two instances is hardly sufficient to infer a pattern. Perhaps you should try cooking? You would likely set yourself on fire at some point, which I'm sure Sayaka would find amusing.

<Candeloro doesn't seem hostile, and even her familiars seem fairly nice, but unless she got over turning into a witch really, really quickly, I don't think she remembers being human.>
She's had longer than it took Ashtaroth to accept her new state. It would be out of character for Mami, but hardly impossible for an arbitrary magical girl.

"She may have simply been excited to have anyone here at all." Tira says. "I cannot claim to understand how witches think, but this 'party' looked to have been set up to take place before we even arrived... it is possible that literally any person who entered this cottage would have been greeted with the exact same enthusiasm, regardless of who they happened to be."
With these observational skills—and time to spend on the investigation—you may yet come to understand witches.

"They're right. You're not her, and I can't fix you."
Certainly not if you give up that easily. This system has been in place for thousands of years; did you think you could break it with a simple Lay On Hands? We've been expecting to need a Wish, though more for a lack of access to specialized spells than strict necessity.

Tearful Storm summons a tornado, and Candeloro lives in an ordinary-ish house. Now all we need is a Wicked Witch to drop it on…

Even if the choice in the middle would have been largely cursory (like, even more than usual), I don't like how this flows as a singular chapter --- Candeloro's introduction feels like it ends up going by a little too quick, and problems start occurring a little too immediately. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't still split it actually, just to make it all flow in a more narratively pleasing fashion to myself. Would anyone be annoyed by that? I imagine it might make reading through this section of the thread a little awkward in the future, but I just don't think I like the way I did things very much as is... or maybe it reads fine, and I'm stressing over this for no reason? Tell me what you think.
If the intention was to introduce Candeloro as a character, and then have the conflict develop, then I'd say it's too quick. But the way it is now seems natural to me—Sayaka and Tira aren't interested in Candeloro, they're interested in Mami, and Candeloro is just an obstruction to that goal. You could extend it without issue, but I think it's fine as is—unless it's meant to be a character introduction, in which case yeah it's a bit fast.

As for modification, I've seen it happen a number of times, and it does sometimes make it awkward to read the thread, mostly when there's no notice that there have been substantial revisions. As long as there's a note that the chapter has been significantly edited, and possibly a summary of the changes, it's fine. If you really want to preserve thread integrity, unthreadmark it, add a note at the top that this is an obsolete version of the chapter, and post the new one separately.

Last edited:
You know, speaking of Ashy being a mother, she would certainly look like Candeloro's mom if seen from the outside.
Both are made of ribbons.
Ashtaroth brings worlds together and has herself surrounded by magical girls all the time, while Candeloro brings people together and has magical girl looking familiars, so it would seem they both have abandonment issues.
Ashy is big enough that your her doll while Candeloro is doll sized.
They have enough similarities to draw the conclusion, and if someone knows that magical girls become witches, would think they must have known each other as such due to how Ashys power fulfilled Candeloro's desires to always have people with her.
Sure not all of these things are related but it does show there are ideas that connect them.

Last edited:
Clearly want Candeloro needs is a phone plan.

Better get one with unlimited texting and calls then, or there's no way she won't go over the data limit.

While it's not perfect, I think it would be a mistake to overthink it. While it probably isn't your strongest chapter, I don't think it was particularly weak either. Nothing happened that was unbelievable in the context of the story, and even if the pacing was slightly off, it wasn't enough to break the flow for me. Overall I'd say it's something to learn from, but not worth agonizing over.
It didn't really seem problematic to me, and it didn't seem like splitting it would help.

...maybe you're right. If I hadn't already uploaded it this way, I'd have definitely preferred to split it, but at this point it's probably a "too little, too late" situation. Ah well, live and learn.

(This is why normal authors generally have editors, I imagine.)

@Flairina, what would you say is the benefit of writing a faux-quest over an actual quest or a normal story?

Hmm... well, it sounds obvious, but the main thing would probably be getting to use the quest structure, while still telling a fully plotted-out story. Normal fics and stories are a pretty tried and true method, but there's not as much room to be creative with them --- obviously you can be, but it doesn't have as many inherent tools to do so with as quests do. Second person (which I'm personally very fond of) is also very odd to read without the framework of a quest around it, and generally frowned upon. Meanwhile, actual quests have the benefit of offering multiple choices and potential paths for the story to progress down, along with reader participation providing instant feedback and incentive for discussion, but that very same reader participation makes it quite easy for the story to end up getting derailed, forcing things down an unexpected path. That's great in some cases --- hell, that's how some of the best stories end up being made --- but very difficult to work with as a writer. You'll note that a lot of quests just flat out die when the author gets stuck on how to write something they didn't think they'd have to, or something unexpected happens due to dice rolls or the like. You can technically avoid this by just posting a concept you think is cool, with no longer story plotted out at all, but improvising a story completely by the seat of one's pants is difficult, or at least, improvising a good story that way is, because having everything be dictated by chance and/or reader whims still makes it very difficult to keep things thematically on track and make sure all plot threads remain relevant, not to mention have a main character with an actual, you know, character. Quests also pretty much live and die on their reader participation, so if it dries up, or was near-nonexistent to begin with, it becomes exceedingly difficult to continue, from both a motivational and literal standpoint. Writing by crowd-sourced decisions can certainly be fun, and it's led to a lot of stories I really enjoyed, but there's too many disadvantages to it to be particular appealing if you want to actually write a story, rather than play a text-based DND game.

With a faux-quest, it's different. Reader participation can still exist, but keeps things on a more limited scope --- I can still take suggestions I really like, and think would add to the story (or just be fun), while retaining the ability to ignore those suggestions if I so choose, and thus avoid completely derailing the story I've already laid out most of the details of. Also, while my interest in writing still waxes and wanes based on reader interest and feedback, there's nothing actually stopping me from continuing this even if no one replies or cares at all. The "choices" get to function as a way to show off different lines of thought the MC could have or is having (notably without interrupting the actual text to do so, as would be the case in a normal story), and if I really want to, I can even write asides temporarily showing how the story could have progressed differently if a different choice was made. Flashbacks, profiles, and all sorts of other things that would be difficult to insert into a regular story without completely interrupting its flow are similarly possible to make and add, and I'm utterly free to take advantage of second person (which I'll note I'm very glad I used in this story in particular, as it lets me do something else that I'd like to personally think is quite clever, even if few people are likely to have made particular note of it yet). As long as I don't let reader opinion sway me too much, I get the best of both worlds, while having everything clear to readers from the get go... or, well, most of them at least. It's a new concept, give it time. ^_^;

Hey, the happy dance got funded!

And you better believe that happy dance absolutely happened once I saw this. :D I mean it, you guys are amazing --- thank you SO much to everyone who's donated so far! 💖

(I updated the objective, though the wording of the new one may seem a little rushed. Didn't really expect to hit that so fast, and wasn't really prepared to have to make an actual goal. ^_^; )

Eh, you know what? Ash has space, she should get both.

This made me laugh for reasons I cannot yet explain. :lol:

Unfortunately, the birthday girl can only attend by proxy.

And she doesn't even know it's her birthday... sad.

Shouldn't there be zero candles, for our zeroth birthday? :V

Well, you didn't get a slice, so technically, there were in fact zero candles for you. :p

Various typos and grammatical issues

Will get on fixing those soon; thanks for the heads up.

She's giving orders. You can do that, at least with Shemesh. Receiving information is more difficult.

Communication is a two way street, and Ashtaroth just does not speak Shemesh's language --- though, that's largely due to not really realizing he has one to begin with.

Ashtaroth: *Pouts in faceless*

Candeloro: *Does the same, but somehow better*
Ashtaroth: <...it's really not fair that you're so much better at that just because you're smaller and cuter.>

Perhaps you should try cooking? You would likely set yourself on fire at some point, which I'm sure Sayaka would find amusing.

Unfortunately, even if you managed to get a fire going, the barrier is not exactly replete with resources to do this with. Well, unless you want to try Spit-Roasted Pyotr, or Flash-Fried Faas, or the like.

With these observational skills—and time to spend on the investigation—you may yet come to understand witches.

Tira tends to undersell herself these days. Things were different in days past, when she had roughly the exact opposite problem.

Certainly not if you give up that easily. This system has been in place for thousands of years; did you think you could break it with a simple Lay On Hands?

For a certain non-trivial reason, she'd at least hoped as much, yes.

Tearful Storm summons a tornado, and Candeloro lives in an ordinary-ish house. Now all we need is a Wicked Witch to drop it on…

I mean, depending on your definition, you've got at least three of those available right now.

If the intention was to introduce Candeloro as a character, and then have the conflict develop, then I'd say it's too quick. But the way it is now seems natural to me—Sayaka and Tira aren't interested in Candeloro, they're interested in Mami, and Candeloro is just an obstruction to that goal. You could extend it without issue, but I think it's fine as is—unless it's meant to be a character introduction, in which case yeah it's a bit fast.

Unfortunately, I can't actually say what I'm planning without... saying what I'm planning, which would make this difficult to do without pretty much outright stating how this scenario will eventually turn out. Honestly, I feel a little better about it just from publicly noting that I'm aware of the issue, and with most people who read this already having seen the full thing by now, I think I'm just going to leave it alone. Hopefully I won't come to regret that later.

Last edited:
With a faux-quest, it's different. Reader participation can still exist, but keeps things on a more limited scope --- I can still take suggestions I really like, and think would add to the story (or just be fun), while retaining the ability to ignore those suggestions if I so choose, and thus avoid completely derailing the story I've already laid out most of the details of. Also, while my interest in writing still waxes and wanes based on reader interest and feedback, there's nothing actually stopping me from continuing this even if no one replies or cares at all. The "choices" get to function as a way to show off different lines of thought the MC could have or is having (notably without interrupting the actual text to do so, as would be the case in a normal story), and if I really want to, I can even write asides temporarily showing how the story could have progressed differently if a different choice was made. Flashbacks, profiles, and all sorts of other things that would be difficult to insert into a regular story without completely interrupting its flow are similarly possible to make and add, and I'm utterly free to take advantage of second person (which I'll note I'm very glad I used in this story in particular, as it lets me do something else that I'd like to personally think is quite clever, even if few people are likely to have made particular note of it yet). As long as I don't let reader opinion sway me too much, I get the best of both worlds, while having everything clear to readers from the get go... or, well, most of them at least. It's a new concept, give it time. ^_^;
So using the readership as advisors and providing ideas that you likely wouldn't have been able to think of on your own, but also keeping control of a veto where if things go too far off the rails, you can mandate a much more sane response and idea. A good way to make sure characterization is consistent while also allowing for new ideas.

Two instances is hardly sufficient to infer a pattern. Perhaps you should try cooking? You would likely set yourself on fire at some point, which I'm sure Sayaka would find amusing.
The likely reason why the food is of such high quality is that it is more an ideal of food then actual food. The difference between what you imagine food could taste like, and the reality of what it does taste like. Witch food relies upon the imagined version. Honestly, it also likely doesn't actually acts to feed you or provide any energy, being mostly if not entirely thought and soul based without any material component. This likely also means that no matter how much you eat, you would never gain weight or actually be full, unless you believe you should be so.

By process of elimination I guess the latter would be Charlotte? Poor Nagisa...

...maybe you're right. If I hadn't already uploaded it this way, I'd have definitely preferred to split it, but at this point it's probably a "too little, too late" situation. Ah well, live and learn.

(This is why normal authors generally have editors, I imagine.)

Authors of novels, at least. Serialized fiction like TV shows or manga that emphasize an overarching plot are prone to similar issues (which is probably why heavily episodic writing seems more common). Managing pacing and structure when your story is published incrementally rather than only when finished is uniquely challenging and not something there's a lot of advice on out there.

Second person (which I'm personally very fond of) is also very odd to read without the framework of a quest around it, and generally frowned upon.

Eh, second person fiction with a clearly-defined viewpoint character is extremely unconventional, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Some people react negatively to it, but I've also seen people get upset about use of first person and/or present tense in fiction, so whatevs.

I've read regular stories written in second person and it worked just fine. Admittedly, they were all fanfics of original works that were themselves in second person and did have a more quest-like format which made it feel more familiar in-context, but still.

On the faux-quest subject, I personally like it also because of what it implies - that Ashtaroth is connected to the readers like a normal quest protag, so we should be able to control her like a normal quest protag... But she almost always ignores us, because egocentrism, bitch. Screw what we think she should do. :V

@Flairina
I don't think you ever addressed this idea. It seems like the kind of simple, straightforward solution Ashtaroth would come up with.
Maybe Candeloro will allow them to "leave" if they're with her? As in, side-by-side, hugging her as they walk out the door. Yes, Candeloro wants the party to go on forever, but she mainly cares about not being alone. So if they're physically with her while going out the door, she might not object? Maybe Ashy could bring some candy from Charlotte's barrier to the front door, to further entice her to come out?

Ultimately, even if Sayaka and Tira sometimes exit the barrier, Ashy basically can't, so Candeloro could just be clingy to Ashtaroth?

did you think you could break it with a simple Lay On Hands? We've been expecting to need a Wish, though more for a lack of access to specialized spells than strict necessity.
For a certain non-trivial reason, she'd at least hoped as much, yes.
Something about making her friends whole again I suppose... and Lay On Ribbons just doesn't have the same ontological mass.

Do we actually know the deal with Charlotte and The Cheese? I can't help but think that Chalotte hasn't have any cheese and may not even recognise nor like it. I picture her having been told that she ins't allowed to have cheese and wanting it all the more because of that, and now her entire barrier is all the sweets she could want, but she can never be fulfilled because she always wants the one thing she doesn't have, and can never have because her barrier is only what she knows, and she doesn't know cheese. Then again, given that her body is now somewhat conceptual, cheese may be the best thing ever arbitrarily...

Now, the question is, are souls temporally dependent or temporally independent (are souls dependent on time, or are they independent of time)?
Maybe a bit of both? Like, some subconscious part of the soul crosses over no matter what, which causes the dreams and déjà vu and whatever, while the rest perishes with the timeline unless Homura takes them with her.

Madoka did get a flashback dream, presumably timed to match Homura entering the timeline and replacing the local Moemura.
Like, WHY Homura rewinds matters. Homura rewinds because of Madoka. Because of Madoka this universe was instantiated. Because of Madoka this universe will be abandoned.

Is there any higher karmic weight?
And in that regard, one of these timelines is not like the others. By the way, I like the idea that Ashy had to accidentally a universe in order to grow hair.

And now, a chapter. I absolutely love the labyrinth expeditions, especially when the witches are introduced. But this first encounter might be sad, so I brought tissues. And there will surely be tea, so I brought my own tea.
> Send Sayaka and Tira in together.
Oh, good. Not the stupid option. Because it's a house instead of a large candy cavern, breaking and entering could have disastrous consequences.

A smile ghosts over Sayaka's lips. "...yeah, probably not."
That's a weird thing to smile about, though maybe it's because all the depressing stuff lately has dried out Sayaka's sense of humor, but at least they're getting along despite everything. Also, maybe Sayaka is optimistically happy that Mami is finally there with her, that someone she already knows and admires can share her burden of imprisonment?

<I'll just wait out here and watch through you two. Do your best to keep each other safe and out of trouble, alright?>

You only realize after already having said it just how... motherly that sounded. Ick, bad thoughts.
Aw, she cares about her captives like family! I'm not sure where it's coming from, but it's sweet of her.

"Shall we then?" Tira asks, thankfully choosing not to comment on your wording.
Did Tira even notice the odd word choice? Ashy is almost the opposite of omniscient, so this could be a case of unreliable narrator.

Cautiously moving past the familiars, whose heads slowly turn to watch them go,
Familiars: "They have her attention. Quick, now is our chance to escape!" *trips over self, tumbles off bridge*

Yeah, the familiars are physically bound, so I realize that they might not be happy staying there any more than the girls they're modeled after were.

There's also a large red sign staked into the ground on the left, with black witch runes inscribed on its surface that read "Welcome All"... you suppose that may be another good sign?
Eh. The witch may be nice, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. Charlotte should have made this perfectly clear, but I guess Charlotte didn't blatantly welcome people in with cheerful red signs either.

You don't get to examine the sign for long, as Sayaka and Tira soon turn to the cottage door, which you now notice has an intricate yellow-and-black symbol on it in place of a window. After a moment of trepidation, Sayaka moves forward to pull it open, and with a synchronized intake of air, she and Tira step inside.

Beyond the entrance of the cottage lies a grand chamber, far larger in size than should be physically possible given its comparatively minuscule exterior.
Ah, so the house is the second layer of her labyrinth. A clever disguise, if it were hidden or blocked in any way. In fact, the entrance is a door (not to mention the only door in sight) and is easy to reach, which just goes to show that it's actually meant to be accessible.

Also, you know how in older Pokemon games, the buildings are bigger than they look because the interior uses a separate map? This is exactly that.

At the same time, there's a bizarrely festive atmosphere to it all, owing mostly to the golden, key-laden chains strung like party streamers from the walls, as well as the colorfully-wrapped presents spread all across the floor, huge piles of which are stacked up in every corner like miniature dragons' hoards. A bush covered in white flowers and trimmed into the shape of a picture frame is set high upon the back wall, at the center of which is another set of witch runes, these ones in white and which read "Happy Birthday".
Happy birthday, Candeloro! Wow, that's several birthdays in about as many days. Ashy must be super-lucky to celebrate so many! :V

You suppose it's possible that the real witch is still hiding somewhere, and this is just a "unique" familiar in the same vein as Shemesh, but more likely, she's the real deal.
I like the subtle implication that Shemesh, being unique elite cannon fodder, can be a decoy witch. That sort of deception wouldn't be very effective against veterans who can one-shot him anyway, but it's something to try out.

Her body is roughly humanoid, but comically over-proportioned, with a waist that's literally pencil thin and a set of hips nearly twenty times as wide.
So are we going to ignore her bust size? She somehow retained it perfectly after witching. How does that even work? Is fanservice a universal constant?

The doll-sized witch doesn't seem to have noticed her visitors yet, too busy using her evidently quite sharp ribbons to snip off a large pink tag attached to the back of her bonnet. The tag looks to have even more rune writing on it, but neither Tira nor Sayaka are close enough to see what it says before the witch abruptly slices it to pieces.
"These clothes are bought now, so I'm keeping them for good." Damn, that hurts to read. Right in the feels.

if only you had some idea what "Candeloro" is supposed to mean.
I think Ashy should have paid more attention in English class.

The witch suddenly darts forward, a sparkling gold aura filled with equally golden flower petals springing into existence around her as she does.
"Yay, guests! FRIENDS!"

This reminds me of episode 1, when she found Madoka and Sayaka and started showing off. But this time, her excitement isn't hidden under the 'confident mentor' facade. I'm not sure how I never noticed it before, but Mami always seems to be genuinely happy when she starts sparkling flowers all over the place.

wait a second, she's communicating with her familiars? So that is a thing! Why can't you do that?
But. But you did. With Shemesh. By accident. :facepalm:

Sayaka stiffens and looks up at Mami's witch with renewed wariness. The witch seems to droop slightly at the scrutiny, and Sayaka's expression softens again.
For some reason, I think it's appropriate to say she wilted. Not sure what gave me that idea. Maybe it's the flower motif.

As they settle down on the oversized furniture, you idly you notice a pair of large windows built into the wall across from them, both of them set at completely different heights. They look out onto a gridded teal sky, which doesn't remotely match the one you're seeing through your real body... wait, does that mean the barrier does go further than this?
It took this long to notice? My, someone is very unobservant today. *idly sips tea*

Now that you see her up close, you notice that her apron looks almost like a smiling pair of lips- strike that, those are lips. They have teeth.
Don't think about it too much. As long as she doesn't do anything weird with her apron mouth, it's no cause for concern.

"You're not gonna hurt us... right, Mami-san?" Sayaka asks, a tentative hope in her voice.

In response, the witch moves the plate with the cake over to herself and proceeds to use one of her ribbons to cut out two equally-sized pieces of it. She then slides the pieces onto two of the table's spare plates before placing them down in front of Sayaka and Tira.
So either she doesn't understand social cues, doesn't understand what Sayaka is saying, doesn't know she's the one being addressed, or is deliberately ignoring Sayaka. "Read the fricken' bonnet, Blue Friend!"

<...'Candeloro'?> Tira telepathically questions. <I cannot claim to be familiar with that term. What does it mean?>

<I'm not sure, actually. That's what the runes in her bonnet read though, so I assume she might at least recognize the word.>

<...hang on a sec, are you telling me those weird symbol things are an actual language?>
They should start a Remedial English Club.

"She does appear to recognize that..." Tira says, eyes widening in surprise.

"Which means she must understand us, right?" Sayaka says, her voice growing excited. "And she wouldn't be being this nice if she didn't know who we were — she must recognize us too!"
Oi! Candeloro can understand you (maybe) and she can still hear you. She is right in front of you, patiently waiting for you all to chill. Shut up and just enjoy your tea already.

"Even if she can no longer speak, surely she could write something to the same effect, or signal as much in some similar fashion."
True, she should at least know how to make shapes with ribbons. I mean, it should be way easier than guns. But that doesn't mean she knows how to articulate the right symbols or is literate in any other way. The Remedial English Club has found its fourth member.

"Tomoe-san, if you truly do understand us, could you extend your left... ribbon, I suppose, as proof?"

The witch looks at Tira, then floats forward and extends her left ribbon... before wrapping it around the handle of the magical girl's teacup.
Again with the ambiguity. They might as well be talking to an alien, because they never truly understood Mami despite thinking of her as a friend. And that's sad.

As Tira fails to grab hold of the teacup, the witch switches tactics, moving it away from Tira's hand and up towards her mouth, before pressing it forward even more insistently.
"Please, enjoy your tea. I insist."

You feel like someone should be clapping right now.
Says the only other one with ribbon arms.

It swiftly produces a large silver lid from somewhere, which it uses it to cover said platter, then waits a few seconds before lifting it back up... revealing that the plates have magically been replaced by a pair of golden lacquer bowls, each one with a pair of ornate black chopsticks delicately laid upon its rim.
"Hm. They must be in the mood for a different food. It's not really my style, but PREPARE THE LEFTOVERS!"

And suddenly, I have the sneaking suspicion that I don't want to know what the food is made of, if it is indeed real food. How does it transform into a completely different food in just a few seconds, and why does it need to be hidden during that time?

"Is this... toshikoshi soba?" Tira questions, squinting confusedly at her own bowl. "But we are months past New Years."
I think all the food here is supposed to be for parties, celebrations, and the like. Just like the house decor.

Sayaka pauses, breathes in some of the steam from her tea, and shrugs. "It looks fine, and it smells fine, so I'm guessing it's probably fine... though, I think I'll pass on the cake too. I had enough sweets yesterday as is."
Huh. Sayaka, who listens to her common sense, is the voice of reason this time.
"Mami-san may have tried to kill me, but... it wasn't intentional." she says. "I still trust her."
Okay, maybe not so sensible after all. She just trusts her friends a lot. I don't think she's wrong about the food, though.

"This is hardly real food-!"
That is a stuffy, ungrateful attitude. I think Candeloro had the right idea, spoon-feeding her.

Man, why is witch food so consistently amazing?
Wait until you try Yu Hong's food. I hear it's a solid 5/10! :V

As if in agreement with this, the witch turns her attention back to Tira, grabbing and offering the teacup to her once again. If the way Tira immediately flinches back is any indication, she still isn't particularly convinced, and based on how the tiny witch leans forward in turn, her ribbons starting to furl in on themselves like slowly clenching fists, you suspect you're not the only one who can tell.
"In goes the choo-choo train, Orange Friend. You are going to at least drink tea, and you are going to enjoy it."

<It has, actually. Just yesterday, in fact — Charlotte is the witch of sweets, and her entire barrier is full of them, hence why all Sayaka had to eat yesterday was candy. That was all witch-made too, and we haven't had any problems from that as of yet.>
It would be funny if Ashy described Charlotte as a troublesome next-door neighbor, falsely insisting that her cuteness and candy labyrinth are her only redeeming qualities... There goes my wild imagination again, ruining the mood with crack omake ideas.

"...Tomoe-san is gone, Sayaka." Tira says solemnly. "This witch is not her — not anymore, at least."
It's complicated. She's not Mami Tomoe anymore, but she's still very much herself. If that makes sense.

"She is acting quite benevolent for a witch, yes." Tira agrees. "However, she is not acting like Tomoe-san,
Stop right there. Am I just imagining it, or did Tira just imply that Mami wasn't this benevolent to her?

"She may have simply been excited to have anyone here at all."
Says the introvert who abandoned her friend, not understanding what loneliness is. At this point, since Tira is so perceptive, an inability to comprehend the source of Mami's suffering is her only excuse for not understanding why she's so happy to have company.

"Her name is Tomoe Mami!" she cries. "Not Candyladle or whatever you two keep saying! Here, let me just-"
Sayaka, this is not the time to be thinking about sweets! :V

"I didn't ask for your input!" Sayaka shoots back as her hands light up even brighter.
Candeloro can't hear Ashy's end of the conversation. She must be so confused by all this, wondering why the others are talking to themselves and each other so passionately! And what's worse, they aren't enjoying tea time at all.

"...what do you want?" Sayaka asks flatly. "They're right. You're not her, and I can't fix you."
Rude!

Candeloro rapidly shakes her head, the motion causing her entire body to twist from side to side, and loosely wraps her ribbons around Sayaka's right arm. Sayaka ignores her, pulling her arm free and brushing past the witch before reaching out towards the door-

A pair of enormous yellow lengths slam into the exit with enough force to rattle the entire wall it's attached to. Sayaka and Tira let out simultaneous startled cries, the former jumping back towards the center of the room as Candeloro floats upwards, her golden aura reigniting as her ribbons retract and return to normal size. She leans forward in the air, chirping in a notably more menacing manner than before, and a pair of maid familiars moves to block the door.
Suddenly, surprise serious mode. At first, they feel welcome and familiar. But then there's that small nagging feeling of wrongness that becomes increasingly prominent as the characters realize they want to leave... only to realize that staying is compulsory. This whole scene gives me Coraline vibes, which really works!

"Tomoe-san — no, Candeloro-san, we do not wish to fight you!" Tira yells.
Yes, yes. Let the pacifism flow throw you...

Sayaka and Tira are both left somewhat stunned as the witch's aura winks out again, and she returns to calmly watching them, as though none of that even just happened.
Ooh, curses come with mood auras. And is she even aware of the behavioral shift?

She stands back up, only for Candeloro to immediately reach out and push her back down. Does she just not want Sayaka or Tira to go anywhere...?
I've got an idea. Tell Candeloro that you have to use the restroom ASAP. Then leave before she realizes she doesn't have a restroom. Oldest trick in the book, works every time. :V

<Wait, don't!> you cut in, forcing both their hands to still. <Stop resisting!>
Sheathe Your Sword sighted! Tropes for the trope page!

[-] Attempt to lure Candeloro outside to talk, by...
[-] ...making an illusion. You're fully stocked on grief at the moment, so you can spare enough for at least one or two of these. [Write in: What?]​
[-] ...throwing shatterwords at the ground outside. You imagine you'd want to know what all the racket is if you suddenly heard things start breaking all around you.​
[-] ...opening the cottage door and waving at her. A simple, non-threatening greeting may be best, especially if she doesn't already know you're here.​
[-] ...opening the cottage door and making a "come here" gesture. She's done this with her familiars multiple times now, so she must understand what it means.​
[-] Write in.​
All of these can go so horribly wrong. I'm inclined to believe that combat and trickery is not going to lend itself to a peaceful solution, and mimicking the gestures Candeloro makes to her own maids is just... Yeah, definitely not voting for any of these. But luring her outside sounds like a good idea.

[-] Break open Candeloro's cottage, then...
NO!

[-] ...grab the girls and run. You expect the other witch will just chase you if you try this, even if you were willing to leave this problem until later.
Actually, this could work. If she doesn't get too angry at Ashy for meddling, of course.

[-] Have the girls continue eating. Given her behavior thus far, you think Candeloro might just not want the girls to go anywhere because her party isn't "over" yet. If they finish the food, maybe the witch will just let them go...?
Ha! No, probably not. I think she'd rather die than let them go. Still, even if it isn't a solution to the problem at hand, there is merit to the idea. Sayaka and Tira have been terrible guests, so they should learn to be nicer while they wait for help.
So, um. Wow. I can understand why this is such a disturbing disappointment to Sayaka, thanks in large part to the focus on how dramatically witching can break someone and how deeply that affects personal relationships. Knowing Mami's character beforehand helped, but I think it was established well enough in the story proper that it leaves exactly the intended impact. Well done. Very well done. Maybe you weren't trying to make it so depressing this quickly, but it works for me.

By the way, if this doesn't make Sayaka and Tira hate Kyubey way more than they already do, nothing will. Sayaka especially, since she adores Mami, but Tira is likely bothered by the fact that the fate she narrowly avoided by chance is a thoroughly cruel one. Ashy is presumably one of the lucky ones, but we're still not too sure about that because we don't know who she was before. If Candyladle is recognizable only by core personality, ribbons, and tea time, which I'd expect would be the case when almost a lifetime of memories drown in despair and die, why would Ashy be any different?

[X] Ask the girls for suggestions. You're perfectly open to any ideas they may have, so long as they don't involve explosions and acid in a confined space with only one exit.

Try to promise that they'll come back? She might not believe them.
Ashy is not ready for motherhood.

I know it's confirmed later down, but this here made me sad because it confirmed this wasn't really Mami anymore. Mami thought Tira was dead, so you'd think she'd have more of a reaction to seeing her alive and well.
Maybe she doesn't remember her friends, but does she at least recognize them? Some vague sense of familiarity, at the very least? That's what I want to know. We haven't seen her interact with anyone else, besides her own familiars.

That's not the worst idea. If Candeloro just wants someone around, we could plop Charlotte down here and have them watch each other. It'd only be a temporary solution, Charlotte will want to wander off later, but for now it'd be decent.
So, the idea is to contain the threat of witches with other witches... I can see that happening eventually, and Ashy can be her very own SCP Foundation if she goes down this route.

Ultimately, even if Sayaka and Tira sometimes exit the barrier, Ashy basically can't, so Candeloro could just be clingy to Ashtaroth?
That could be alright if she clings to Tome or the trunk, since she's relatively smol and out of reach. Novella is not an option, lest she summon the Swirly Vortex of Certain Doom™.

[Jk] Roll to seduce.
Via interpretive dance and sheer expressiveness, I assume? That seems to be the default for witch communication.

More to come. Quarantine has not been treating me well, but I will be back for more.

Back