Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Uh correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Anakin and Obi-Wan have a ship in the Prequel EU that was literally called "Ship"?

And Star Wars names have always been dumb and obvious.

"What should we call our cool, lovable rogue who doesn't think he needs anyone?"
"Han...Loner?"
"Too obvious"
"Han...Solo?"
"Goddamnit Kasdan you're a fucking genius"
Tangential to this: I wish TRoS hadn't undone the implication that Rey took her name from the old helmet she owned. This fic remains canon in my heart.

I have to admit that I never liked that idea that Revan fell on "purpose" to "protect" the republic. I honestly preferred the more generic fall story presented in Kotor 1, which was that he was just power hungry from a young age and was finally tipped over by the Star Maps. And even in Kotor 2, the idea that by not targeting the Republic's infrastructure, Revan was trying to "protect or preserve" the Republic still sounds absurd to me. I mean, it just sounds like they didn't want to rule over a broken galaxy.

That he willingly fell like that, or that he was brainwashed is something I feel takes away from possibility that maybe the Mandalorian Wars just broke him. Mind you've been selective with what parts about Revan are 'canon' to me or not. Especially when it seems to just make him too 'great' or 'enlightened'. Which I feel he suffers from people just liking his look and think he's badass.

I have never heard about that ship being called, "Ship".

If that's true then dang, even a five-year-old could come up with a creative name for a spaceship.

There was the Sith Meditation Sphere, but that is what it called itself.

Before SWTOR I just sort of figured Revan found something that drove him/her over the edge but that they weren't in a good mental position in the first place from the Mandalorian wars and as I said before I finally played KOTOR I wondered at times if there was actually more than one person under the Revan identity giving the varying views on them in KOTOR II and given their garb you'd never know if someone else took their place at least not by appearance.

My Id: HERE'S DUMB IDEA DO IT
My Superego: Hold on, do you really want to-
*BANG*
My Ego: If you will not serve in combat, then you will serve on the firing line!

Last edited:
That he willingly fell like that, or that he was brainwashed is something I feel takes away from possibility that maybe the Mandalorian Wars just broke him. Mind you've been selective with what parts about Revan are 'canon' to me or not. Especially when it seems to just make him too 'great' or 'enlightened'. Which I feel he suffers from people just liking his look and think he's badass.

There was the Sith Meditation Sphere, but that is what it called itself.
That I can understand, what I can't understand is why someone would just call their ship what it literally already is. Use your imagination dagnabbit!

My Id: HERE'S DUMB IDEA DO IT
My Ego: Hold on, do you really want to-
*BANG*
My superego: If you will not serve in combat, then you will serve on the firing line!

So basically you have Rey end up as some form of high flying pit fighter while the sequel trilogy happens in the background? Cool. I'm working with a similar idea with a Mass Effect fic I'm currently throw my hat into writing, even if it might be a crackship.

So basically you have Rey end up as some form of high flying pit fighter while the sequel trilogy happens in the background? Cool. I'm working with a similar idea with a Mass Effect fic I'm currently throw my hat into writing, even if it might be a crackship.
Hey, I built my whole divergence on what might constitute a crackship :p Don't knock it ;)

I have to admit that I never liked that idea that Revan fell on "purpose" to "protect" the republic. I honestly preferred the more generic fall story presented in Kotor 1, which was that he was just power hungry from a young age and was finally tipped over by the Star Maps. And even in Kotor 2, the idea that by not targeting the Republic's infrastructure, Revan was trying to "protect or preserve" the Republic still sounds absurd to me. I mean, it just sounds like they didn't want to rule over a broken galaxy.

I like the idea if you paint it as less, "HARD REVAN MAKING HARD DECISIONS WHILE HARD!" and more the stress of the Mandalorian Wars, the horror of the True Sith, an ill-advised dungeon dive into Sith Ruins, and his own authoritarian (in the sense that he sees himself and his ideas as the salve to all wounds and the giver of all answers) tendencies drove what could have been at least an anti-hero screaming into hardcore "I will save the galaxy even if I have to burn it down to do it" Sith Lord madness.

Edit: Essentially, "damn the Republic, my way's better."

Last edited:
You know, something I don't like is the whole chemical explanation as to how Order 66 worked. I remember the old Battlefront II betrayal mission on Coruscant and it was so powerful, you were put on the same position as before, just a level of "enemies" arbitrarily assigned to you with only a lingering feeling in thr back of your head that this was wrong. I feel like they should have doubled down on the internal bonds that the troopers had with each other, giving them the ability to other the Jedi, rather than giving into the temptation to make them bond to the Jedi.

Revan/Bastila is the OTP regardless of Revan's gender in my book.

You know, something I don't like is the whole chemical explanation as to how Order 66 worked. I remember the old Battlefront II betrayal mission on Coruscant and it was so powerful, you were put on the same position as before, just a level of "enemies" arbitrarily assigned to you with only a lingering feeling in thr back of your head that this was wrong. I feel like they should have doubled down on the internal bonds that the troopers had with each other, giving them the ability to other the Jedi, rather than giving into the temptation to make them bond to the Jedi.

The first time I heard about the new Order 66 explanation it was just another thing added to the pile that made me glad I gave up on TCW in the first series to be honest.

I don't remember there being much in the way of options there. Carth, Malak, and Bastila can work, I guess, and maybe the Twilek sith chick I can't remember the name of. Hard no on Canderous tho.
There's Juhani, although KOTOR being a 2003 game that she would work with Female!Revan but not Male!Revan is only minimally indicated. The Sith chick you're thinking of was Yuthura Ban.

I see your point, but I roll with it because the tragic element hits me so bloody hard in S7, and it creates a powerful undercurrent in things like Fallen Order.

There's Juhani, although KOTOR being a 2003 game that she would work with Female!Revan but not Male!Revan is only minimally indicated. The Sith chick you're thinking of was Yuthura Ban.
I'd feel bad about forgetting Juhani, but honestly her content felt pretty incomplete in the actual game, so... eh.

My favorite character was Mission, and honestly if they wanted to make DS a viable choice they shouldn't have made killing half your party a requirement.

I see your point, but I roll with it because the tragic element hits me so bloody hard in S7, and it creates a powerful undercurrent in things like Fallen Order.

Same here. I was actually one of the people who didn't like the new canon for this until I actually started watching Clone Wars. Now?

There's a lot of material in Clone Wars that places firm emphasis on the personhood of the clones and how they don't want to be human simulacrums that just follow orders. That they often have to fight both their circumstances and the will of other people with more of a status in galactic society to do what they think is right and to remind others that they are people. It's what makes the new storyline work for me because at the 11th hour all that is ripped away (and god the fact that it was Jesse who became the mouthpiece for the new Imperial Clone Troopers is what does it because, for those who don't know, he was almost executed for not following the orders of a corrupt officer which shows just how complete and horrifying the brainwashing is). It's why I think the Season 7 finale is just as good as the other two series finales that Clone Wars had. It paints so perfectly and in so many ways how the Clone Wars was for nothing. How it was just a bloody shadow play meant to help an evil bastard achieve power he never should have had. That those moments of humanity, courage, empathy, and tragedy shown by clone, droid, Jedi, and civilian alike were just ash in the rising fire of the Empire.

Having the clones be individuals who were then forced to do things that they otherwise never would have done in the name of building up a regimes power also lines up fairly well with the Prequel Trilogies whole set of commentaries on the War on Terror and Bush's increased power. A group that offered to help make things right was fabricated into being an enemy, and many young, innocent men who wanted to do the right thing murdered thousands of innocents without a second thought until far too late, all the while an old man sat back and watched the foundations to his new power over the nation he led get cemented into place, ready to be built upon more and more over time.

For me, the clones falling of their own will works much better, but then I am a sucker for tragedies.

Like, I really love the idea that the clones could have been saved, they could have chosen to do the right thing... if the Jedi were better. If the Jedi had stood up for their rights, if the Jedi had refused to employ slave soldiers, if if if.

But in the end, their was a war going on. there wasn't time to deal with the thorny issue of clone rights. And the Jedi chose the lesser evil (as they so often did during the war) and the clones made their choice.

One of these days I have to write that essay on how Clone Wars is essentially the less gruesome little brother of Animorphs. At least when it comes to its threming.

So how much trouble would a Moff get into with Emperor Palps if he decided the best way to makes the rebels give up a region is to militarize the entire system, laws designed to turn regular civilians into conscripts, neural re-socialization (read brainwashing) prisoners to become soldiers not unlike the Terran Marines in Starcraft and combining civilian infrastructure with military infrastructure so that destroying a military factory also drives hundreds of civilians out of work.

The idea is that because the Rebels want their hands as clean as possible means they cannot fight effectively against a Moff fully willing to militarize his region to oppose them and hoping that if he becomes successful, nearby Moffs will emulate his example and reduce the recruitment base for rebels or is that idea too incompetent for any Moff to think of.

So how much trouble would a Moff get into with Emperor Palps if he decided the best way to makes the rebels give up a region is to militarize the entire system, laws designed to turn regular civilians into conscripts, neural re-socialization (read brainwashing) prisoners to become soldiers not unlike the Terran Marines in Starcraft and combining civilian infrastructure with military infrastructure so that destroying a military factory also drives hundreds of civilians out of work.

The idea is that because the Rebels want their hands as clean as possible means they cannot fight effectively against a Moff fully willing to militarize his region to oppose them and hoping that if he becomes successful, nearby Moffs will emulate his example and reduce the recruitment base for rebels or is that idea too incompetent for any Moff to think of.
Trained conscripts –> lots of defectors in this scenario, I'd guess.

Back