Star Wars General Discussion Thread

My Absolute favourite story of that type is Another Way to Fall by Selena on AO3. It's done in a kind of anthology style, looking at important moments in Barriss' life during the Clone Wars (some cannon, some made up) and how they all add up until she falls.
Thanks, though honestly I'm kinda wary of reading anything else with the premise. I don't want to be piggybacking on another person's work, even unwittingly.

So how much trouble would a Moff get into with Emperor Palps if he decided the best way to makes the rebels give up a region is to militarize the entire system, laws designed to turn regular civilians into conscripts, neural re-socialization (read brainwashing) prisoners to become soldiers not unlike the Terran Marines in Starcraft and combining civilian infrastructure with military infrastructure so that destroying a military factory also drives hundreds of civilians out of work.

The idea is that because the Rebels want their hands as clean as possible means they cannot fight effectively against a Moff fully willing to militarize his region to oppose them and hoping that if he becomes successful, nearby Moffs will emulate his example and reduce the recruitment base for rebels or is that idea too incompetent for any Moff to think of.
It depends on when the moff would start this program honestly. If it starts after ANH then it would have limited if any success due to all of the madness that happened immediately afterwords.

If this moff started this project before Star Wars Rebels takes place(before at least 6 or 7 bby) they will have a moderate chance for success.

For MAXIMUM effect this militarization process would probably need to begin around 15 bby. (use a justification like saw gurrea and his "partisans" set up shop in there system for a year or so for this paranoia.)

Thanks, though honestly I'm kinda wary of reading anything else with the premise. I don't want to be piggybacking on another person's work, even unwittingly.
I on the other hand am fully willing to embrace it because of a fic idea taking place in the same universe as my ST rewrite. I've been tinkering with it off and on and just really needed a really good idea as to why Barris fell and what happened post Order 66 (FYI: The fic involves Luke and Ahsoka running into her Post-Empire) and this gives me a foundation I can really build off of.

I on the other hand am fully willing to embrace it because of a fic idea taking place in the same universe as my ST rewrite. I've been tinkering with it off and on and just really needed a really good idea as to why Barris fell and what happened post Order 66 (FYI: The fic involves Luke and Ahsoka running into her Post-Empire) and this gives me a foundation I can really build off of.
That's fair, and makes a ton of sense.

Well I can't wait to see what you come up with. :grin:
It is one of the few areas I wish Clone Wars had touched on a bit more.
Thanks :) I'm just working on clearing my slate of current WIPs, and then I'll get to it. Black Hawk Down and Dunkirk gave me a few ideas.

It depends on when the moff would start this program honestly. If it starts after ANH then it would have limited if any success due to all of the madness that happened immediately afterwords.

If this moff started this project before Star Wars Rebels takes place(before at least 6 or 7 bby) they will have a moderate chance for success.

For MAXIMUM effect this militarization process would probably need to begin around 15 bby. (use a justification like saw gurrea and his "partisans" set up shop in there system for a year or so for this paranoia.)

Well I think for a group like Saw, militarization against them is pretty much a must, but for the Alliance, having to fight civilians turned conscripts isn't gonna be good for morale. Sure they can go "THE EMPIRE IS MAKING CIVILIANS FIGHT" but the Moff isn't gonna hide the fact that using this is an effective counteractive to the moral victory Rebels are going for while he clearly is aiming to win at any cost, propaganda be damned since history is written by the living

Finally got around to reading, or listening to rather, Light Of The Jedi and I've got to say I really loved it.
The Jedi were just wonderful in their sheer unblemished heroism and Marchion Ro is... he sure is something.

He's a beautifully written villain in my opinion. He's incredibly hateful, selfish, cruel and callous although he seems to see himself as being on some kind of righteous crusade of vengeance. The way he turned the Nihil from basically just a huge gang to... some weird cultish anti-republic, outer-rim centred authoritarian military group was downright scary. He uses manufactured conflict and rhetoric of promising "freedom" (specifically the freedom to murder and enslave others) to build an artificial sense of unity. He throws lives away only to prop them up as martyrs after. He builds up the republic as this big oppressor which can only be resisted by everyone rallying around him personally. He does seem to believe in some sort of cause, but he also believes that all lies, all betrayals are justified in pursuing that cause.

Anyone with even a modicum of historical knowledge should find that playbook awfully familiar...
Hell, he even does this sort of ritual around the supposed blood of martyrs of the movement!

Finally got around to reading, or listening to rather, Light Of The Jedi and I've got to say I really loved it.
The Jedi were just wonderful in their sheer unblemished heroism and Marchion Ro is... he sure is something.

He's a beautifully written villain in my opinion. He's incredibly hateful, selfish, cruel and callous although he seems to see himself as being on some kind of righteous crusade of vengeance. The way he turned the Nihil from basically just a huge gang to... some weird cultish anti-republic, outer-rim centred authoritarian military group was downright scary. He uses manufactured conflict and rhetoric of promising "freedom" (specifically the freedom to murder and enslave others) to build an artificial sense of unity. He throws lives away only to prop them up as martyrs after. He builds up the republic as this big oppressor which can only be resisted by everyone rallying around him personally. He does seem to believe in some sort of cause, but he also believes that all lies, all betrayals are justified in pursuing that cause.

Anyone with even a modicum of historical knowledge should find that playbook awfully familiar...
Hell, he even does this sort of ritual around the supposed blood of martyrs of the movement!
Welcome aboard! Yep, I love how he emerges from the chrysalis over the course of the novel.

Welcome aboard! Yep, I love how he emerges from the chrysalis over the course of the novel.

God I love that more people are joining the Marchion Ro Fanclub. Villains with complex morals that make them redeemable are fine and all but these days there's just something special about a man complex in his sheer irredeemable evil.

What I love about Marchion is that he's so obviously a man of ambition among a sea of people who really couldn't care less as long as the drugs and loot keep coming in. I knew I was going to like Marchion the second he admitted one of the reasons he hated the Triumvirate was, possibly more than them murdering his father and making him into a figurehead, how they wasted the power of The Paths by just being especially troublesome pirates. The scene when he betrays Kassav is one of my favorite when it comes to this because the latter admits that there was something in Marchion that he never recognized.

At that exact moment I said to myself, "Poor bastard doesn't recognize VISION when he sees it."

Another favorite Marchion moment (cause there's a lot of them), is when he tells Kassav that he knows he killed his father. When Kassav just looks shocked and confused Marchion shrugs, admits that it might not be true, but that it doesn't matter cause he'll kill the other two suspects eventually anyways with all the casualness of telling someone you're going to the store.

Y'know, I've been thinking and the sequel trilogy + Solo were really rough with the Millennium Falcon. Like In TFA we see Re drag her along the ground as she's trying to get the hang of the controls, but later in the TIE chase the Falcon straight up bounces off the ground, slides along another for a few seconds. Later the Falcon crashes "has another happy landing" on Starkiller base. The Last Jedi doesn't do anything too egregious, with the only enviromental damage the Falcon taking being the lower gun being destroyed by scraping on the ground. In the Rise of Skywalker, the Falcon bounces off a corridor and then smashes through a wall of ice. Plus, in Solo, aside from the incredibly awesome powerslide scene, the Falcon also bounces off an astroid, hits a TIE like a frying pan and is almost torn to pieces by The Maw.
Just something I've been thinking about.

I mean, Luke's first words on seeing the Falcon are literally "What a piece of junk!" I don't think she got to that state because she's been treated carefully and well maintained (at least on the outside). Roughness seems par for the course.

I mean, Luke's first words on seeing the Falcon are literally "What a piece of junk!" I don't think she got to that state because she's been treated carefully and well maintained (at least on the outside). Roughness seems par for the course.
It's a smuggler's freighter. Unassumingness is a good thing, it keeps scrutiny to a minimum.

Also, the rough onscreen treatment (by its pilots, not by enemy actors) started in Return of the Jedi, with Lando knocking off the comms dish.

There's also been a lot in between trilogies, even if you just count bad mods. I did spin a little vignette out of that, with Rey, Rose and Chewie working under the deck.

Last edited:
I was worried the Falcon wasn't going to survive the sequel trilogy. Thiugh it's been through worse in Legends and it was around just as long there.

Didn't the Falcon literally fall apart at one point in Legends?

God, imagine being totally fine with that being your M.O.

I think they are well aware of the backlash at this poitn and simply don't care because they got legions of expendable customers who don't care and an effective monopoly. It's similar to airlines, so what if the service is utterly terrible, if it provides us with entertainment its all that matters.

I think they are well aware of the backlash at this poitn and simply don't care because they got legions of expendable customers who don't care and an effective monopoly. It's similar to airlines, so what if the service is utterly terrible, if it provides us with entertainment its all that matters.
I'm thinking of Abrams specifically. I expect Disney to have no shame, but I'd have thought Abrams would at least be like "I just want to share with the world, one and all, how much I love the Original Trilogy".

Back