I´m so confused who is the OG Taylor now? all this stuff about alt Taylors is so confusing can anyone explain, is she a hive mind with one central Taylor or what? if one of them dies how does it affect them as a whole?

I find it interesting that a lot of people are taking Taylor explaining the corpo-school culture and warning Gloria not to try to fight it, as approval. The closest she gets is this paragraph, where she acknowledges that the situation isn't as simple as "bullying bad".
I looked at David with some sympathy, and I could see both sides of the coin here. Frankly, it was bullying and more than that; it was bullying that was sanctioned by the school itself. That was my personal bugbear, so I should be incensed. But I also had a lot of NC-Taylor's memories and my own reading of pediatric psychology and pedagogy and knew it wasn't so simple as that. Moreover, I knew that if Gloria followed through on her threat, things would go poorly.
Taylor is explaining why it's happening, how David can get the best out of his situation, because neither he, Gloria, nor Taylor are in any sort of position to try to change things right now.

Also, I love this line:
The host often thought about nicknames for people she felt protective about, for example, not host, not host or not host. It would try to give the host a nickname.
The "not host, not host or not host" bit shows how alien Shard-senpai is- they are clearly different beings, despite having the same English descriptor. (Also, how little they matter compared to Best Host.)

Man I love the build up. I hope at one point we get AI Borg Taylor Dragoon smash whoever threatens Borg Town so epically it's becomes an urban legend.

Wow, so this new Taylor is going to run on Shard crystal computronium?
That is amazing computing substrate, literally the culmination of actual eons of iterative design and improvements stolen from thousands of host species. She could probably break S1 with a few kilograms of that, and still have a human sized body. I'd imagine it equal to an Ultimate Chip, which is fucking impressive considering that's a Second Singularity technology.

I find it interesting that a lot of people are taking Taylor explaining the corpo-school culture and warning Gloria not to try to fight it, as approval.
Less us taking that as approval and more just taking it as another thing to the list. Taylor would never approve of bullying considering her own trauma, but she's shown several signs of embracing parts of Corpo culture with a mix of just adjusting to life in Cyberpunk-Earth/Night City.

Like her whole fuel making thing? To get revenge on Biotechnica? Peak Corpo culture, especially where she just kinda ignored any potential consequences like say... a currently on-going war. Sure we know the war was going to happen anyways, but she doesn't/didn't.

The bombs in heads thing, her just recently in this chapter thinking of kidnapping someone:
If I ever had to flee Arasaka as Hasumi, I would try to kidnap him and then Stockholm him over a period of time, I decided. Wait... that was bad, right? No, Taylor! You shouldn't kidnap people! Except, I didn't really have high hopes for his future if I did flee successfully, so it would be kind of like saving him, wouldn't it?
Like sure she comes up with an excuse of why it'd be her 'saving him' and maybe it would be, but that's still a pretty fucked up thing to think about consciously. And most people just hand wave it as her 'adapting to the way things are in Cyberpunk Earth' but uh... that's basically Corpo culture, because the Corps have shaped and grown things to be that way.

And sure she can't change things yet, but that doesn't mean she should seemingly so whole heartedly embrace it either.

Last edited:
Human brains and shard brains are bound to process information differently. Right? I am wondering if one of the brains being a computer is gonna give her mathy, predictive, or other kinds of thinking superpowers.
Like she has the brains connected to be the same, but now one of them is running on a out of this world hardware. Tho the latter is also running an emulator, I guess.
Even before Chirurgeon-bud got involved I assume being able to do math/simulations/netrun/etc was the whole point.

As for thinking differently, I imagine that depends on how abstracted the emulation is.
We know Shards can fully simulate people, after all, but if she's running her consciousness more on the actual hardware instead of in a virtual box or whatever they record hosts in, that might cause some changes.

As a bonus, having some Shardware means she can backup her entire hivemind super easily without worrying about overheating or anything.

I´m so confused who is the OG Taylor now? all this stuff about alt Taylors is so confusing can anyone explain, is she a hive mind with one central Taylor or what? if one of them dies how does it affect them as a whole?
All Taylors are equally Taylor. She specifically chose the network architecture she did, as explained in the chapter, to make every Taylor equally important. As long as one Taylor exists, all Taylors can be recreated just by cloning a new body for them. Similarly, a Taylor can be liquidated with minimal cost to the rest of the Taylors. Using the Haywire-based FTL comms, she is using all the brains at the same time for all bodies. And this new brain is not only brain that won't be adding a body at the same time, but a brain running on Shard-stuff just like Alexandria's does.

We know Shards can fully simulate people, after all, but if she's running her consciousness more on the actual hardware instead of in a virtual box or whatever they record hosts in, that might cause some changes.
Kinda, Zion/Scion at least uses multiple Shards to act human. But Shards do save memory snapshots of Hosts, but they prioritize certain memories for preservation over others. Ashley Stillons 2 for instance very vividly remembers every time she went into combat, but has trouble recalling her early life and childhood, and she was a Bonesaw produced Clone.

The Flock (resurrected Capes using Glaistig/Valkyrie) all have severe mental health issues, suffering from Shard Influence, personality erosion, and/or trauma from dying. So it's not a 100% perfect method of storing/simulating Hosts, so while her AI/Shard-self might come across as somewhat human, she probably won't be 100% human.

Last edited:
The idea is that she would slow any "software Taylor" to experience time at the same rate as her other bodies. This would be a pretty big nerf for an AI, quasi-AI or not, but it would allow them to stay in sync. The AI Taylor wouldn't need a Kerenzikov because it is being nerfed/slowed down artificially anyway, so it would just be allowed to run at the same subjective speed as the other Taylors.
What is stopping Crystal-Taylor from creating separate virtual machines to host the other Taylors and then have them remote pilot or sync with their respective organic bodies?

Kinda, Zion/Scion at least uses multiple Shards to act human. But Shards do save memory snapshots of Hosts, but they prioritize certain memories for preservation over others. Ashley Stillons 2 for instance very vividly remembers every time she went into combat, but has trouble recalling her early life and childhood, and she was a Bonesaw produced Clone.

The Flock (resurrected Capes using Glaistig/Valkyrie) all have severe mental health issues, suffering from Shard Influence, personality erosion, and/or trauma from dying. So it's not a 100% perfect method of storing/simulating Hosts, so while her AI/Shard-self might come across as somewhat human, she probably won't be 100% human.
By comparison, Miss Militia has a full memory backup in her shard, making it so she doesn't forget anything, and Alexandria is a time-locked body remote-piloted by a shard-hosted mindstate copy.

By comparison, Miss Militia has a full memory backup in her shard, making it so she doesn't forget anything,
True, she doesn't need to sleep, but when she does she relives all of her memories in perfect detail and has a pretty good memory even then.
and Alexandria is a time-locked body remote-piloted by a shard-hosted mindstate copy.
I can find plenty saying her invincibility is due to her body being locked in stasis, but where did you get the remote-piloted part? The closest thing I can find is the off-loading of her Thinker abilities onto her Shard because her brain can't handle it.

Kiwi tried to look coy and said coquettishly, "A lady likes to keep some mysteries." I thought she ruined the effect she was going for by grabbing the guitar case and swinging it around like a five-year-old, though
Bye! I'll be back here in a bit!
Really nice to see a Kiwi that can be more open and carefree.

vibrate inside their sinuses
Reminds me of Ozob.

I frowned. I thought they were cute.
Never change, Taylor.

Gloria looked shocked but slightly amused, but David looked inconsolable,
This is really fun too. I love her connections to Gloria and David, nice to see them together like this.

Another fun chapter, good callback to Edgerunners there.
What I find hilarious though, is that while everyone is freaking/fangirling about the home made entity crystal, is that my focus is on...
I intentionally didn't design my network to scale well. There were tons of different types of network topologies that worked better than the one that I had chosen, which was that every brain was connected to every other brain. In fact, it was difficult to find a topology that scaled worse!
Philosophy in relation to self value in a network of homogeneous processors in a heterogeneous network of bodies.
Ok, first, I think Taylor is making a mistake here in a very Taylor way, she is equating homogeneity with equal value where she is actually devaluing herself (this is Taylor) by trying to pretend that her core self doesn't hold the most value to her.
Basically she is looking at a pile of processors working in sync and going, they are all equally important, but in reality since they are wholly parallel from the way she is valuing them, they actually become devalued.
It's like if you loose a fingernail, you have nine more and the lost one will grow back. Instead if she wants each body to have equally important value (less tactically strong) they need to be wholly individualized and interdependent. To call back to the earlier analogy you don't shrug off loosing a major organ, but you can in theory recover from it. Which I think is what Taylor will find her plural existence actually is from a psychological perspective if she permanently actually looses one of her bodies along with all the social placement and connections that body had.
The host's new-self would be very similar to itself! They would be even closer this way!
Yandare space crystal, check. Giving off cannibal vibes there girl
*I will be with senpai...together...forever!! *drools creepily*

ps: I was up late last night working on my home server <-*saw dawn* and have not had coffee, so if my argument makes no sense please forgive.

Last edited:

By comparison, Miss Militia has a full memory backup in her shard, making it so she doesn't forget anything, and Alexandria is a time-locked body remote-piloted by a shard-hosted mindstate copy.
Yeah I went with "can" for a reason.
As in, a Shard that actually cares can do it.

At the very least I'm sure a wet tinker Shard could.

I can find plenty saying her invincibility is due to her body being locked in stasis, but where did you get the remote-piloted part? The closest thing I can find is the off-loading of her Thinker abilities onto her Shard because her brain can't handle it.
Her Thinker ability is literally "Runs on Shardware instead of a brain" and that is the source of her perfect memory and increased thought-speed. All her other abilities are just normal skills, but she has more "personal time" to consider them. What for us is a barely-noticeable micro-expression that our subconscious can categorize into empathy, for her is a conscious analysis of emotional state.

Giving off cannibal vibes there girl
I mean...Shards and Entities are cannibalistic. Back on the Homeworlds* it's how they survived for so long after draining them dry of resources/food, eating each other.

*The Entity homeworld was in a space where dimensional barriers were naturally weak allowing them to easily travel to variants of their world. So thus Homeworlds.

I wonder if Taylor will have 2 new instances instead of just 1 (so 5 total) as soon as she uploads to the shardtonium body. I can imagine best shard making a connected copy or two to show off her engineering works, and also finally communicate with best host.

Kinda super disappointed she isn't taking over the area. Using "its a dump" as a cover seems so limited.

Kinda super disappointed she isn't taking over the area. Using "its a dump" as a cover seems so limited.
Right now taking a small bit and holding it is a pretty good idea though, Pacifica is the southernmost part of the city, which puts it basically a leisurely drive from the SoCal/NUSA border. So taking the district means she'd have to hold against Militech and NUSA forces, and the NCPD/Corps when/if they decide they want to try and move back in.

So yeah, Taylor can try, but it's probably not a smart idea.

nice chapter thx for writing it
fun seeing taylors new body being an ai
now just to make it mobile dont think having a other self in the basement was the idea with the body's

Back