I would love to hear the conversations the various analsysts I am sure they have watching our Hasumi-Sensei regarding how she is acting since she joined.

Even if they assume she didn't think that they had been behind the whole kidnapping she is still being...really, really blaze about this whole thing.
They would probably attribute her original kidnapping to be SUPER traumatizing, to the point that she's basically some sort of trauma savant. They knew what her skills were before, and she is hitting way above that. Her (relatively) strange views and behaviors would match a working theory, that she had already partially confirmed by her lack of sexual interest.

She probably reinforced this when she KEPT the bishonin assistant, because they assume, she still LIKES them aesthetically. But now she more likes the idea of a cute boy toy that wont ever hurt her than an object of interest. Her lack of reaction to violence in general is probably attributed as a symptom of her disassociation.

tl;dr - People's personalities tend to change after traumatic events. Her behavior falls within a pretty simple explanations.

Last edited:
First, I just wanted to mention I loved this chapter, and I'm glad you seem to be recovered. ❤️

It could have been Arasaka themselves, attempting to glad-hand me, or it could have been Militech or any other Corporation. It could even have been exactly what my interrogator claimed, a private attack that sought to steal something from me and then sell it to the highest bidder.

My personal opinion was that the timing of Arasaka's rescue was mighty convenient. I had only been unconscious for about an hour before waking up and having that woman attempt to coerce me. Either they already had me under surveillance themselves for their own kidnapping and noticed the attack, or they arranged it themselves to rescue me right before I was tortured and possibly murdered. Their alacrity in responding could be explained no other way.

Presumably, Arasaka already had the analysis showing the sleep inducer to be a significant force multiplier, and could safely assume other megacorps did too, or had intelligence confirming it outright. I think it would have made sense for them to position assets specifically to prevent an abduction attempt:
- they needed Dr. Hasumi to remain free (or in their hands) until the license agreement was signed and the technology was transferred;
- a successful rescue would be a great opportunity to hire her on, as they did;
- realistically, there was no way Militech wouldn't escalate their attempts to secure exclusive access to that tech (at least momentarily) and a failed abduction would ensure Dr. Hasumi be unwilling to deal with them;
- staging the abduction themselves is somewhat wasteful, when they must have known someone would make the attempt;
- if they did it anyway, there would be a risk Dr. Hasumi would find out eventually, which might at the very least make her more willing to work against corporate interests, or even attempt to find another employer.

In my opinion, that would have been the smarter play for Arasaka. At the same time, it's not a play Militech could have gone for, because Arasaka was already about to secure access to the tech, and Dr. Hasumi supposedly had nationalist leanings.
Not to mention, the rescue needed a lot less hardware and manpower than the kidnapping... and I find it unlikely Militech's AV fleet would be under loose security, when they are at war and might expect sabotage attempts (commissioned by the "Free States" or anyone wishing to delay or prevent the "reunification")

Still, I think it makes sense Taylor would suspect them more than an objective analyst would:
- she was just betrayed and kidnapped, it seems highly unlikely to me she isn't emotionally compromised ;
- she was actively trying to get "hired" by a megacorp as a researcher.

Still, I had the feeling that if I dragged Gloria away from her entire life again for her own safety, she might not welcome me back around again.

Entirely valid, and I'm kind of surprised Taylor didn't apologise.

For what it's worth, I came up a while back with what I need in a proper apology... which a friend informed me happens to line up with a concept in Judaism called teshuva:
  • acknowledging what wrong was done, and how significant it was for the victim
    that last part is important, those situation are often caused by people not understanding how they are affecting others
  • immediately stop doing it, and commit to not do it again
    for things one did unknowingly, I believe a perfectly reasonable plan could be going over the situation with one's therapist to figure out whether there were maladaptive behaviors at play and correct them
  • think about the future consequences of the wrong
  • seek to correct it / "make things right"
    obviously sometimes that's just not possible, but then offering a more symbolic sort of reparation is fine?
On the other hand, she might just not, as I see a change in how she relates to others:
  • I don't recall an earlier time she outright said she believes herself superior to others, which is a sharp departure from how she was before turning herself into a networked entity.
    Some of it can be explained by her self-loathing being alleviated, and her growing progressively socialized into that world's culture and mindset. I still don't think this is the full explanation, given her earlier concerns about cyberpsychosis and such.
    Plus, her mindset now reminds me more of the British ninja's (William something?) or at least what little we read of it.
  • She didn't give Gloria any agency in that, much unlike the initial move to LA, and only discussed it very shortly with Kiwi before dropping a ton of money into getting it done.
    I find it especially strinking, given that I believe Taylor is rather fiercely protective of her own agency and independence.
  • Now, she has a cute bishounen PA that she acknowledged (in internal monologue) she's treating kind of like a pet.
TBH I'm really looking forward to upcoming character development, whether she notices what's going on, and whether she tries to correct course :3

Last edited:
As far as they know she was raised in this culture, so from their perspective "Hasumi" had every reason to expect something like this would happen and a rough idea of what the terms would be.

She's also supposed to be a Japanese nationalist, so mistakenly viewing them as being more on her side/safe than the other major corps isn't necessarily unusual either. It's dumb, but still the sort of psychological blind spot even intelligent and educated people still somewhat commonly have.

I don't think they'd find her that interesting, possibly excluding the analysis of if she's a one hit wonder or not.

Yeah but she would also be aware of the power discrepancy there, and maybe a bit of hero worship?, so her negotiating beyond just a little for perceptions sake would maybe be a bit weird?

Yeah but she would also be aware of the power discrepancy there, and maybe a bit of hero worship?, so her negotiating beyond just a little for perceptions sake would maybe be a bit weird?

Remember, Hasumi's psychological profile was "Views Arasaka as good, because 'Japan good', but still kinda miffed that it basically controls the country instead of the government and/or the Emperor".

Besides, this is completely in line with "a small person suddenly feeling they became big" paternalistic kinda bullshit preconception Arasaka would expect from her. Not trying to milk her contract for possible benefits would be as weird to them as it would be for her if Arasaka didn't try to screw her over with a fine print.

I would love to hear the conversations the various analsysts I am sure they have watching our Hasumi-Sensei regarding how she is acting since she joined.

TBH, I'm not entirely sure they'd be looking that closely at Hasumi's psychology at that point:
  • Counter-intel may want to confirm she isn't a flight risk, but that's difficult to do when she had no opportunities for flight and knew it. If anything, they might treat the lack of attempt during Lucyna's escape as confirmation she isn't a flight risk.
  • Once a corp acquired a researcher, I suspect it'd be mostly interested in how valuable they are, and how to best extract that value.
  • On the individual level, intelligence personnel might have incentives not to look too closely: they presumably already profiled Hasumi and OK'd her "acquisition," and they might not want to find faults in their own work. At the same time, they only need her to stay put for a couple of weeks before she becomes someone else's problem.
    Their colleagues/competitors might, but I would assume access to Hasumi (and observation of her) was kept need-to-know given the number of corps who'd love to "acquire" the top expert on sleep inducers.

Even if they assume she didn't think that they had been behind the whole kidnapping she is still being...really, really blaze about this whole thing.
As far as they know she was raised in this culture, so from their perspective "Hasumi" had every reason to expect something like this would happen and a rough idea of what the terms would be.

Agreed: researchers being kidnapped is apparently a common thing, or at least gets enough exposure to be treated as commonplace, almost a real-life trope. I would assume corporations have vast numbers of researchers who don't have the notoriety or "value" to be worried about it, but it's the cultural expectation that matters (for predictions of Hasumi's behavior), not actual prevalence.

On the other hand, Hasumi isn't supposed to have a corpo background so someone might indeed think she's reacting too much like a "suit."

She's also supposed to be a Japanese nationalist, so mistakenly viewing them as being more on her side/safe than the other major corps isn't necessarily unusual either. It's dumb, but still the sort of psychological blind spot even intelligent and educated people still somewhat commonly have.

Yeap. People, even intelligence analysts, might not look too closely at something which lines up with their expectations, especially if it's something they planned to take advantage of and is benefiting them.

Now I wonder, what's the Japanese equivalent to "not looking a gift horse in the mouth" ?

Last edited:
NC Taylor is absolutely going to adopt four new strays, isn't she? After all, she's seen just how powerful they can be.
Not to say it's impossible, but she doesn't have much reason to expect the kids to flee to Night City as opposed to Los Angeles or somewhere much more hostile to Arasaka. So while she may put out feelers on the net for anything interesting, that is kind of a bad way to find them, especially if they are trying to keep quiet.

On the other hand, chance they do something stupid and have to flee Militech territory for Night City isn't bad, and luck is a thing...

Last edited:
nice chapter thx for writing it
interesting seeing how working for saka is going
nice little bit with the kids escaping a prelude to edgerunner in a couple of years

Another dose of pleasure flowing into my brain to stave off the withdrawal symptoms.

Great chapter. I didn't expect Taylor to be at ground zero for Lucy's backstory. I didn't catch on until she started asking Yuki what they did here. I look forward to more slice of life with Hasumi living in Tokyo.

True, but everyone is out to get theirs in cyberpunk and she clearly prepared to do just that.

She was a nobody before this, so there are limits to just how good their profile of her could be.

I told him bluntly that since my kidnapping, I wasn't generally interested in sex anymore. I was pretty sure that he, and now Arasaka, thought that my durance vile was a lot more vile than it probably had been in actuality.
Considering Hasumi didn't actually survive, I'm not sure why Taylor is making this prediction about how bad things were... though of course not having been there she doesn't have whatever traumas original-Hasumi experienced.

Hope you're feeling better, Spira.
Remember, Hasumi's psychological profile was "Views Arasaka as good, because 'Japan good', but still kinda miffed that it basically controls the country instead of the government and/or the Emperor".

Besides, this is completely in line with "a small person suddenly feeling they became big" paternalistic kinda bullshit preconception Arasaka would expect from her. Not trying to milk her contract for possible benefits would be as weird to them as it would be for her if Arasaka didn't try to screw her over with a fine print.
Probably not an uncommon opinion. In the real world, the Japanese version of 2077 has mentions of Saburou's 'Emperor' nickname removed, presumably because it's kind of offensive lol.

Guess it just depends on exactly how much of a nationalist they have her on record being.

Awesome chapter, as soon as that one guy mentioned they were researching the Old Net, I was hoping we'd see Lucy. I wonder how 4 of them managed to survive this time, unless that one guy was the one who was supposed to kill them. I always got the impression that there was a whole firing line shooting them in the back.

That conversation with Gloria was great too, really established how far she has come since the beginning of the story. It also kind of reminded me of my favorite moment from the best Farcry game ever made.

Considering Hasumi didn't actually survive, I'm not sure why Taylor is making this prediction about how bad things were... though of course not having been there she doesn't have whatever traumas original-Hasumi experienced.
Given how Taylor has the data from when she was imprisoned, she probably can make a fairly good guess on how bad it was.

they'd run into issues of not precisely knowing exactly why it worked, too.
Yeah, that's a pretty serious issue. Having a '15% success rate increase in attrition based tactics' or whatever doesn't mean much if you miss some hidden backdoor or feature that lets her just like, kill half your people in one fell swoop.

research centre focused on portions of the Old Net
Is that...?

pale girl with pink hair in a pixie-cut with intense eyes
It is! Hi Lucy!

This was a good chapter, showing how Hatsumi-Taylor is getting her feet under her, but I really liked seeing Gloria and NC-Taylor talking. We've had it mentioned in the background that they do, but it's good to see it in the chapter here. And interesting to see Gloria be open about the issues in her life beyond the Taylor related stuff and have her offer advice. I really like it and also still ship them together a lot

Part of me hopes that Tayura by the time she finally does go back to Night City does so with Yuki, Lucyna, and her friends all under her protection. Maybe even ending up based in Arasaka Tower with them living with her, I can see her taking up the Mom role while getting pointers from Gloria and her own memories of Annette.

Awesome chapter, as soon as that one guy mentioned they were researching the Old Net, I was hoping we'd see Lucy. I wonder how 4 of them managed to survive this time, unless that one guy was the one who was supposed to kill them. I always got the impression that there was a whole firing line shooting them in the back.

If the security guard shot their designated driver the other kids couldn't used the armored vehicle. They grew up isolated from the world. They never learned how to drive. On foot they were vulnerable to the perimeter guards and the people in the nearby city.

The one guy probably could have done that in one burst, really. It doesn't take a lot of firepower to gun down a cluster of defenseless people.

Back