Personal Matters II: Three Secrets
[X] Write-in:
-[X] Hug Rei. Let her calm down before continuing.
-[X] She's not going to be alone. You accepted her, Angel and all.
-[X] You've spoken to Shinji - you haven't told him the secret, but you've sounded him out on the subject of secrets in general as subtly as you can and he was pretty positive about it.
-[X] He shares her fear of rejection. Yes, Rei has a pretty big reason to be worried - but these worries are also just a natural part of getting closer to someone.
-[X] With the last Angel battle and everything else, Shinji's probably aware something is up. It'll be a lot better for you both if you talk about it now instead of having it hover over your head like a literary metaphor of her choice.

Rei flinches from the sudden physical contact. Her skin is still cool to the touch. She's having trouble believing you fully accept her. It's understandable, considering your history, but you insist that you're in her corner. She stares blankly at you without arguing back. You can see doubt behind her dark red eyes. It will take time to rebuild the trust between you two. As much as you hate to admit it, you too feel a nagging wariness towards Rei, pulling down on your guts like inverted marionette strings. It annoys the loftier parts of yourself.

You recount your last conversation with Shinji. Rei is displeased and anxious about how you've made telling her secret to Shinji a fait accompli, but she recognizes she doesn't have much of a choice now that you've primed Shinji to expect her to open up. She can only hope you're being truthful about Shinji's potential receptiveness, but…

But?

But there are things she does not want to tell him. Or that she has no idea how to tell him. Her secret is really three secrets: that she's a clone, that she's not fully human, and that her DNA and shape are partially based on Yui Ikari's. At least one of those things is going to be objectionable to each of her teammates. For Ikari, it's that she's been salvaged from Yui Ikari's remains. For Sohryu, she will find Rei's lack of humanity objectionable. For Horaki, Rei isn't sure, but Horaki was injured by one of her…sister clones, so Rei can't imagine she's going to take that well.

She'll try to figure something out, since you've forced her hand. But this isn't just a simple fear of rejection. It's information that has severe consequences for her relationships. She needs time to think.

Over the course of the next few days, your pilots' circumstances gradually change. Rei begins making appearances outside of Terminal Dogma again. The injuries on her foot have healed completely, but as you and Ritsuko had feared, a long pink line of scar tissue runs up her injured arm. Ritsuko has explained this to Gendo as a necessary precaution given the public nature of her injuries. He seems to buy it, for now. Rei, for her part, has dutifully acted a little muddled about events since the Twelfth Angel, though you suspect that Ritsuko has strategically amped up her medication dosage to sell it.

Hikari is no longer confined to a hospital bed, though remains restricted to the medical wing. She's been allowed to move around in a wheelchair. You occasionally see Suzuhara pushing her around while the two of them converse pleasantly. He gives you the stinkeye whenever you see him.

The first pilot to be returned to your care is Shinji. His movements are restricted; he is to be either at NERV HQ, at home, or in your car. Asuka remains confined to HQ, which of course she finds deeply unfair, outrageous even.

Meanwhile, repair work begins on the Evangelions. While Unit-01 requires fairly minor fixes, the others require extensive attention, particularly Unit-03, which has no functioning appendages and is riddled with holes. Unit-02 isn't in much better condition. Unit-00 also needs repairs, though the mechanical crew assigned to it are understandably reluctant to touch it.

One unusual thing to come out of the damage to the Evangelions is a change of color. Perhaps in a bid to get away from Unit-03's image as a harbinger of oblivion, they have opted to repaint it from black and red to a less morbid color palette. Hikari settles on orange with indigo highlights as her color of choice, but apparently sales projections don't favor two orange Evangelions, so the PR department bickers like seagulls fighting over a long-forgotten French fry before approaching Rei for a color change to Unit-00. Rei is largely apathetic about whatever color the Evangelion is, so long as it isn't red, so Unit-00 gets repainted an inky blue the color of the sea at night, with ivory highlights. Each sigil representing a dead Angel is reverently reinscribed into the armor in milky silver. The latest conquest is represented by a feather.

Outside of NERV, developments are worrying. Civil unrest in the wake of the Angel attack has spread across the country, blossoming into brief paroxysms of violence before being snuffed out by the wet thumb of the law. The first homicide in the history of Tokyo-3 occurs over the weekend. Nobody you know. It's as if the presence of the Thirteenth Angel has permanently tainted the psychic landscape of Japan.

This is outside of your jurisdiction, however. You decide to focus on the lone ward remanded to your care. Shinji. It's just the two of you, plus Pen2​, in the two halves of your apartment now. It's…weird. It doesn't feel unnatural, but it's the first time it's just been the two of you. Shinji mostly keeps to himself in a way Rei does not. Unlike Rei, who is a creature of inescapable routine and can be expected to make appearances at locales within your apartment with the regularity of the phases of the moon, Shinji is furtive and haphazard in his movements about your residence. You've never noticed before. The girls mask his presence, you suspect. At any rate, he deliberately seems to be avoiding you, if only not to be a bother.

This state of affairs has left you feeling quite lonely. The peace and quiet is unnerving.

What will you do?

[ ] Force Shinji to hang out with you. You can't leave the apartment with him, but it's something to do.
[ ] Go to Kaji's place.
[ ] Go back to HQ and see if there's anything for you there to distract yourself with.
[ ] Go for a walk.

[X] Force Shinji to hang out with you. You can't leave the apartment with him, but it's something to do.
loneliness if not good for him right now.

[X] Force Shinji to hang out with you. You can't leave the apartment with him, but it's something to do.

Bonding is always good, forced or otherwise.

[X] Go back to HQ and see if there's anything for you there to distract yourself with

I'll be the odd one out, Shinji can be the house-ghost if he want, plus staying at HQ give us a better occasion to check on Rei

She stares blankly at you without arguing back. You can see doubt behind her dark red eyes. It will take time to rebuild the trust between you two. As much as you hate to admit it, you too feel a nagging wariness towards Rei, pulling down on your guts like inverted marionette strings. It annoys the loftier parts of yourself.
I get the sense that Misato is trying to convince herself to feel the way she knows she should feel, as much as she's trying to convince Rei that she feels that way.

The first homicide in the history of Tokyo-3 occurs over the weekend. Nobody you know. It's as if the presence of the Thirteenth Angel has permanently tainted the psychic landscape of Japan.
I'm shocked that it took so long. For the past decade, Tokyo-1 has seen about 900-1000 murders per year (e.g, 933 in our 2015), and if I'm reading the timeline right, Tokyo-3 has existed for somewhere between two and ten years. Even if we assume that Tokyo-3 has only 1% of Tokyo-1's population, and the murder rate is only a tenth of real life Tokyo's for arbitrary reasons, I'd still expect a homicide case every year or two. And unless Tokyo-3 is smaller than Dallas and has some SEELE mojo dampening antisocial behavior or something, I'd expect way more.

Misato's lonely, Shinji's lonely. Kaiji and HQ can keep each other company.

Last edited:
I think normally I'd go for Shinji, but we did just talk to him, and likely will again very soon. We voted to restart the relationship with Kaji so I think it'd be good to keep up with that, as well as giving Misato herself a much needed opportunity to de-stress with a person who can be safely told the new info we've learned.

[X] Go to Kaji's place

I'm shocked that it took so long. For the past decade, Tokyo-1 has seen about 900-100 murders per year (e.g, 933 in our 2015), and if I'm reading the timeline right, Tokyo-3 has existed for somewhere between two and ten years. Even if we assume that Tokyo-3 has only 1% of Tokyo-1's population, and the murder rate is only a tenth of real life Tokyo's for arbitrary reasons, I'd still expect a homicide case every year or two. And unless Tokyo-3 is smaller than Dallas and has some SEELE mojo dampening antisocial behavior or something, I'd expect way more.
Tokyo-3 is ostensibly a company town run by computer so that might be putting a finger on the scale.

She'll try to figure something out, since you've forced her hand. But this isn't just a simple fear of rejection. It's information that has severe consequences for her relationships. She needs time to think.
And exactly because that Rei has to tell them. Maybe not everybody at once, but the point still stands. It is the matter of trust.
He gives you the stinkeye whenever you see him.
I hope we will not meet Kodama then.
His movements are restricted; he is to be either at NERV HQ, at home, or in your car.
Seriously, I do not know why they are trying to confine him, considering that he was the most reasonable in the fight.
PR department bickers like seagulls fighting over a long-forgotten French fry before approaching Rei for a color change to Unit-00
What's their deal is? It is a chance to re-release the new line of all Eva-00 figures twice. Special limited edition! Milk the cash cow!
I don't think it's remotely the best idea but I'm curious.
There is this saying about curiosity and the cat. We do not want to transform Misato into a cat-girl.

@Undeadmuffin01 has a reasonable thought. And I doubt forcing Shinji will really help to improve the situation.

[X] Go back to HQ and see if there's anything for you there to distract yourself with
-[X] Offer Shinji the last chance to hang out with you before you leave. If he accepts, stay with him.

Tokyo-3 is ostensibly a company town run by computer so that might be putting a finger on the scale.
I'm not sure why that would affect the murder rate. The computer can't actually stop people from ignoring the schedule to stab their wife or whatever.

Maybe it wouldn't need as many cops, but it's not like their illegal killings get counted in homicide data.

I'm not sure why that would affect the murder rate. The computer can't actually stop people from ignoring the schedule to stab their wife or whatever.

Maybe it wouldn't need as many cops, but it's not like their illegal killings get counted in homicide data.
You don't get a lot of murders in a college's science department or a massive laboratory concern, and while I say "Tokyo-3 is a company town", it's more like the aforementioned things. Or more of a fortress with only people relevant to the operation of NERV and its supply chain living in it.

Friend Computer monitoring everything potentially means anybody willing to go off the reservation and merc someone is flagged in advance.

You can insert a lack of therapists in Eva joke here :V

You don't get a lot of murders in a college's science department or a massive laboratory concern, and while I say "Tokyo-3 is a company town", it's more like the aforementioned things.
Science departments are also smaller than Tokyos. And low murder rates are not zero. Between 2009 and 2022 (the years I had data for), the college town where I went to college had an average murder rate of ~3.6 per 100,000 residents per year. With the 14 million living in Tokyo proper, that would be about 500 murders a year—way less than actual Tokyo, but not zero.

Or more of a fortress with only people relevant to the operation of NERV and its supply chain living in it.
My understanding is that military bases have higher violent crime rates than average communities, not lower.

Anyways, both of these analogies are wrong. Tokyo-3 might be built around a combination of science department and fortress, but it also includes that science fortress's staff's families, and all the personnel and facilities you need to support the staff and their families, and all the personnel and facilities those people need. On a physical level, cities are communities first and foremost; anything you need to build a city around needs people, and the needs of those people are going to shape most of that city more than pretty much any other factor except local terrain.

Anyways, both of these analogies are wrong. Tokyo-3 might be built around a combination of science department and fortress, but it also includes that science fortress's staff's families, and all the personnel and facilities you need to support the staff and their families, and all the personnel and facilities those people need.
I think you're assuming a level of functionality/population to Tokyo-3 that isn't substantiated by the series text, and is making things wiggy with how it is presented in this Quest.

In the series, T-3 might as well be empty outside of the people directly working at the science fortress, their kids, and maybe the JSSDF. There is never a sense that Tokyo-3 is particularly lived-in, and you don't get Godzilla-esque panicked crowd shots during show Angel attacks despite how much Eva owes to kaiju flicks and Ultraman. The most you get are commuters on trains when Shinji decides to Shinj.

In the Quest, there are enough people in T-3 to meaningfully have opinions about how the Angels are fought and general administrivia, but apparently not enough people to reach a critical point for it to act like a normal city.

Last edited:
I think you're assuming a level of functionality/population to Tokyo-3 that isn't substantiated by the series text, and is making things wiggy with how it is presented in this Quest.

In the series, T-3 might as well be empty outside of the people directly working at the science fortress, their kids, and maybe the JSSDF. There is never a sense that Tokyo-3 is particularly lived-in, and you don't get Godzilla-esque panicked crowd shots during show Angel attacks despite how much Eva owes to kaiju flicks and Ultraman. The most you get are commuters on trains when Shinji decides to Shinj.

In the Quest, there are enough people in T-3 to meaningfully have opinions about how the Angels are fought and general administrivia, but apparently not enough people to reach a critical point for it to act like a normal city.
Tokyo-3 has at least one middle school, full of students like Hikari whose families have no apparent connection to NERV. If there are multiple classes in that middle school (and I don't recall any indication that it was an unusually small school), most of those kids aren't even candidates for Evangelion stuff. They're just kids who need to be educated.

There are restaurants in Tokyo-3, varying from fast food joints to fancy date locations. There are arcades and art museums and spas and karaoke joints, clothing stores and bars and wedding venues, and that's just places that I either remember Misato visiting in this quest or that were mentioned in that timeline I made. Most of those were mentioned after the initial attacks which did tons of damage to Tokyo-3, so there was probably even more before that.

At least in this quest's continuity, Tokyo-3 has a lot of amenities that don't make much sense if it's literally just a sci-fi military base. The kinds of amenities you'd expect to see in any large settlement. The kinds of amenities that you wouldn't expect to see outside a civilian settlement, if only because the civilians running all of those amenities need to settle somewhere.

Maybe this is an easier position to defend in the anime, but in this quest, we see way too many normal civilian town things to dismiss Tokyo-3 as being a mere military science camp.

Which isn't getting into the fact that, according to some cursory google searches, military bases tend to have MORE violent crime problems than civilian towns, what with all of the professional violence men around.

Back