Questionably Soteriological: A Puzzle/Mystery Quest with Kids, Science, and Fun!

[X] Try to pick ALL THE LOCKS with the HAIRPIN. Toolbox and Locker and whatever else that might occur to you.
-[X] If you don't know how, question the others! Someone should know how. Probably.
[X] Examine the clothes. Do they have pockets or hidden sewn up panels? Feel them up.
[X] Examine the coins! 73 cents is oddly specific. Perhaps they are part of the CODE. (Or maybe its a coincidence. Who knows.)

GOOD KIDS, THESE ARE GOOD KIDS.

[X] Try to pick ALL THE LOCKS with the HAIRPIN. Toolbox and Locker and whatever else that might occur to you.
-[X] If you don't know how, question the others! Someone should know how. Probably.
[X] Examine the clothes. Do they have pockets or hidden sewn up panels? Feel them up.
[X] Examine the coins! 73 cents is oddly specific. Perhaps they are part of the CODE. (Or maybe its a coincidence. Who knows.)

GOOD KIDS, THESE ARE GOOD KIDS.

Especially with ketchup.

Everyone's just so wonderfully lovable.

Also, looks like Kala has "HELSINKI'S MISSING JOURNALS". Hmm. Maybe something to talk with her about when she's more comfortable with the rest of the group?

Maybe we could use the canned chicken to rinse off the blood? Let's do that as a last resort, though; who knows when the group will next find food in this place.

[X] Examine the SMALL TABLE.
[X] Compare the art style of the POORLY DRAWN CRAYON SCRIBBLE to the DRAWING OF AN EYE.

Everyone's just so wonderfully lovable.

Also, looks like Kala has "HELSINKI'S MISSING JOURNALS". Hmm. Maybe something to talk with her about when she's more comfortable with the rest of the group?

Maybe we could use the canned chicken to rinse off the blood? Let's do that as a last resort, though; who knows when the group will next find food in this place.

[X] Compare the art style of the POORLY DRAWN CRAYON SCRIBBLE to the DRAWING OF AN EYE.

Actually, Lucy is the one who drew the eye herself, though she might not remember it.

A key, a key, a... you look down at your NOTEPAD. On it, you have drawn an EYE. You look up at Mari, and she sees something in your EYES and recoils, shocked, before she squints and seems to calm down. "Nothing, Calloway. There was a trick of the light, or something," is all she tells you when questioned.

You look down at your DRAWING OF AN EYE. The EYE looks back at you. You feel dizzy. You feel as if you are part of something larger than yourself. You notice that there are SYMBOLS drawn within the EYE. Who drew those? Did you draw those? You're confused, now. You shake your head, snapping back to the here and now, and look up at Mari.

Last edited:
A brief update: My mental health has gone to hell, but things have been looking up lately and so I swear to god that there will be an update this evening. I'm so sorry to all of you for my terrible inability to be punctual.

> Lucy: Be a public menace
Apologies for the delay! As I've said, it's been a very rough month for me. But here it is! Sincerest apologies if it's typo-written and shoddy - I just felt that it was for the best to make sure I could get something out, at least.
[X] Pick up and DFD the ARTICLES OF CLOTHING.
You briefly consider donning the CLOTHING, but quickly realize that it is far too big for you. You have a fashion sense, after all. Sure, at the moment it might consist of a gaudy CROWN, a pair of SUNGLASSES, and a MEDICAL GOWN, but... it's the thought that counts, with fashion, right? You take a few of the ITEMS OF CLOTHING and EXAMINE THEM. It seems like whoever this clothing belongs to was FOND OF LABCOATS, although there's also a BOMBER JACKET, a pair of JEANS, and a GAS MASK. One of these is NOT LIKE THE OTHERS. All of the POCKETS seem to be EMPTY.
[X] Skim the instruction manual.
You open it, hoping to at least find out what channels they get down there, but all that you can see is HOPELESSLY COMPLICATED TECHNICAL LANGUAGE and CONFUSING DIAGRAMS.
[X] Use DFD on the INSTRUCTION MANUAL
You attempt further investigation, but the only LOGICAL CONCLUSION you can come to is that this MANUAL must follow what you, in your career as a JUNIOR SLEUTH, have come to call "The IKEA principle", which states that the human ability to interpret any given text without fainting from confusion or bursting into tears of boredom is inversely proportional to how many POORLY-LABELLED BLACK-AND-WHITE DIAGRAMS it contains.
[X] Take the hairpin, since you can pick locks with it, right?
You're not the best at picking locks - and you shouldn't be, considering that it's a CRIME and unfitting of a PARAGON OF JUSTICE such as yourself. But you've had luck in the past using hairpins to open JAMMED LOCKS. "Just one of the many talents of the brilliant Lucy Calloway," you think to yourself. It takes Mari's amused little smirk to make you realize that you said it aloud, and you immediately start loudly whistling and walk directly into the LOCKER in an attempt to seem casual.
[X] Mary: Use HIW in the ELEVATOR.
Once Mari is done snickering at you, you smile your most DISARMING SMILE at her and ask her if she could take a look at the ELEVATOR, since she's so clever and brilliant and brave. "Resorting to simple flattery, are we," she comments, rolling her eyes, but you can tell she's pleased at the compliments. She strolls over to the ELEVATOR DOORS in order to make an assessment.

The CLASS MACHINATION [HOW IT WORKS] has been activated!

"I think the elevator mechanism itself is working fine," she says thoughtfully, fingers distractedly fiddling with her hair, "But the electronics for getting this door to open are totally busted. The whole thing will have to be rewired, I think. Some of the electronics in this place have been faulty for a long time. Father always complained about it. It seems like this one's picked the worst of all possible bloody times to give up the ghost."
[X] Provide an ART CRITIQUE on the portrait.
[X] Take the not really a PORTRAIT of the wall. There is always important stuff hidden behind portraits.
You briefly consider CRITIQUING THE PORTRAIT, before realizing that in order for something to receive an ART CRITIQUE it must be able to be classified as ART. You instead take the INELEGANT SCRIBBLE WHICH YOU REFUSE TO DIGNIFY WITH THE WORD 'PORTRAIT' off the wall, and squint at what's behind it: a SAFE, with a POST-IT-NOTE affixed to it reading "Put my work of art back on the wall this instant, and stop looking for the remote control. I get to decide what's on TV because I'm the coolest person here. And good luck cracking the code on this safe, which definitely doesn't have the remote control in it. You'd have to be a world expert on Helsinki to manage it."

You roll your eyes at how ridiculously childish this man is. (And you're eleven!)
[X] Mari: Try to open the TOOLBOX with either the SCREWDRIVER or the GOLD CROWBAR.
[X] Mari: In a stunning display of originality, try to open the BOTTOM LOCKER with either the SCREWDRIVER or the GOLD CROWBAR.
While you're reading the NOTE, Mari comes up behind you and proudly declares "I hit everything in the room with the crowbar, except Luna and Owen," she pauses, "Although that second one was close." From the other side of the room, Owen glares daggers. "Anyways," continues Mari, "It wasn't able to get anything open."

"Thank you for trying," you say, quietly suppressing the urge to ask 'Did you just want an excuse to hit things with a crowbar?' because you're fairly certain you already know the answer to that question.
[X] Owen: Try to UNSTICK the LOCKER DOOR with your strength.
"Owen, do you think you might be able to get that locker open?" you ask politely, trying to make him feel a little better after whatever surely terrifying encounter he had with Mari while your attention was otherwise occupied.

"Uh. I don't think so. But not because, I think I couldn't, I just haven't thought anything about it, so..." he makes a hang gesture before shaking his head and focusing, pulling on the LOCKER DOOR with all of his STRENGTH. Unfortunately, it doesn't budge.

"I think the lock is, um. Jammed. Like a traffic jam, because it's not moving. But, uh... with less rude words, probably." Your GOOD IDEAS LIGHTBULB suddenly lights up, and you gently push past him to try and use the HAIRPIN you found to UNJAM the LOCK. After a few seconds of careful FINICKY HAND GESTURES, the LOCKER swings open! Score!

"The many talents of the brilliant Lucy Calloway!" you say again, except this time you know full well that the other three can hear you and don't care, because it's true. Inside the LOCKER is a small KEY and an OLD PAMPHLET of some sort with the GSC'S LOGO on the front. You'd like to dream, but you unfortunately suspect it's not a TV guide.
[X] Kala: Hide in the corner, thinking about how you could leap out at people and say 'boo' at them, but be far too nervous to actually want to scare other people like that
Kala is always hiding. Other humans scare her far too much for her to do anything else.
It's a RATHER ORDINARY COFFEE TABLE, although you note with DISDAIN that some TERRIBLY RUDE PEOPLE must have been placing drinks on it without using COASTERS, like some sort of UNCIVILIZED BARBARIANS. You have half a mind to find whoever did this and teach them an IMPORTANT LESSON OR TWO about the PROPER TREATMENT OF FURNITURE. One of the TABLE LEGS is a little shorter than the others, and so an UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK of some description is being used to prop it up.
[X] Examine the glass casing the TELEVISION is behind
It's presumably there so that YOUNG HOOLIGANS, HOODIES, AND VANDALS like yourself aren't able to VANDALIZE the TELEVISION. It seems to be THICK, although the fact that it's in TWO SEGMENTS suggests that it's possible for the GLASS CASING to SLIDE BACK. The mechanism by which this might be accomplished, unfortunately, is not in the slightest transparent to you.
Get it? Like, transparent, like glass? You shake your head and sigh. If you have to EXPLAIN A PUN to YOURSELF, it might be a lost cause.
[X] Loot the scribble, and the blu-tack, and the chewing gum.
You have no desire to carry this TRAVESTY TO THE WORLD OF ART around with you, or to touch some GROSS OLD CHEWING GUM. You've sworn you'll never do that again, not after all the chewing gum you were made to scrape off of desks when you went into deep cover for three weeks to solve the Case of the Detention Backpack Bandit.
They seem like ordinary money to you! You beckon Mari over. "Hey, Mari," you say, grinning impishly, "I bet you what I have in my hand makes me smarter than you."

She frowns, confused and slightly offended. "I beg your pardon? How on Earth can that be true, Calloway?"

Your grin widens as you open your palm to reveal the 73¢. "I've got common cents." You barely have time to identify the miniature seven states of grief that Mari goes through as she processes the pun before she groans, furrowing her brow and punching you lightly on the shoulder.

"You're a public menace," she complains, before storming off, presumably to make a big show of sulking where Kala and Owen can see her better.

[X] DFD the newest KEY.
[X] Take the UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK out from under the table and read it. Also do your best to ignore the table's FRAZZLING LOPSIDEDNESS.
[X] See if the KEY can open the TOOLBOX or BOTTOM LOCKER.

Last edited:
[X] Examine SAFE DIAL
[X] KALA: Consider if she has any idea about possible SAFE codes, given her ownership of HELSINKI'S MISSING JOURNALS and the POST-IT-NOTE's hint.
[X] Read OLD PAMPHLET

Last edited:
[X] Have Mari use HiW on the GLASS BARRIER
[X] Do the thing with the key. You know, the weird flashbacky thing.

Last edited:
[X] Have Mari use HiW on the POORLY-LABELLED BLACK-AND-WHITE DIAGRAMS

They seem like ordinary money to you! You beckon Mari over. "Hey, Mari," you say, grinning impishly, "I bet you what I have in my hand makes me smarter than you."

She frowns, confused and slightly offended. "I beg your pardon? How on Earth can that be true, Calloway?"

Your grin widens as you open your palm to reveal the 73¢. "I've got common cents." You barely have time to identify the miniature seven states of grief that Mari goes through as she processes the pun before she groans, furrowing her brow and punching you lightly on the shoulder.

Lucy is a monster.

If I might make an amendment to some of the current points...

[X] Lucy: DFD KEY
-[X] Have the others watch you while you do so.
[X] Take UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK
-[X] Use BOOK to prop up COFFEE TABLE if keeping table upright is necessary to remove the ULBook
(someone remind me what our current book is?)

[X] DFD GAS MASK
[X] DFD PORTRAIT

(someone remind me what our current book is?)
It's the BOOK ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF CHILDREN AND XENOPSYCHOLOGY. We can't really understand what's inside, though.

And good luck cracking the code on this safe, which definitely doesn't have the remote control in it. You'd have to be a world expert on Helsinki to manage it.
Challenge accepted. We shall check out the back of the PORTRAIT for the code. :D

Okay, here's the list of interactable items.
Blue - things we are likely done with, for now.
Yellow - things we are interacting with this turn.
Green - things that might be of interest.

ELEVATOR DOOR - problem determined, electronics is busted. Needs to be fixed.
LARGE TOOLBOX - for elevator maintenance, locked. Key needed?
SIGN - read, mentions a code to reset the ELEVATOR
COUCH - examined, contains the INSTRUCTION MANUAL, CHEAP HAIRPIN, SEVENTY-THREE CENTS
SMALL TABLE
- examined, one of the TABLE LEGS is short and is supported by an UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK
STRANGE-LOOKING PORTRAIT
- examined, but not DFD'd. DFDing.
TELEVISION - is behind the GLASS CASING
GLASS CASING - should be able to slide back, mechanism is unknown to Lucy. Mary's turn to look into it.
TOP LOCKER - contains LABCOATS, BOMBER JACKET, JEANS, and a GAS MASK
BOTTOM LOCKER - contains KEY and OLD PAMPHLET
INSTRUCTION MANUAL - on how to fix the ELEVATOR? Lucy can't decipher. Giving to Mary to read.
SAFE - has a dial on it; contains a NOTE. Examining the dial to find out what the CODE looks like.
NOTE - affixed to the SAFE with THREE PIECES OF BLU-TACK and ONE PIECE OF CHEWING GUM
KEY - Trying on the TOOLBOX and DFDing.
OLD PAMPHLET - contains GSC'S LOGO. Reading.
SEVENTY-THREE CENTS - examined, but not DFD'd
UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK - Reading.
GAS MASK - DFDing.
GSC'S LOGO
I think we got most of it. but just to be sure...

[x] Examine GSC'S LOGO
[x] If the TOOLBOX is opened, ask MARY to try and fix the busted electronics. Really nicely. Maybe with the help of the MANUAL she can manage.
[x] DFD the OLD PAMPHLET

I'll try to go through our inventory and stats sometime this week, see if anything needs to be updated. I think I noticed at least 1 mistake with the Crown of Poseidon, which should give +9 MOXIE as it was upgraded twice (once with a couple of Emeralds, and once with a Ruby)
[The CROWN OF POSEIDON now gives a +9 MOXIE bonus!]

Last edited:
Went through our character sheet.

CHARACTER SHEETS

• LUCY
NAME: Lucy Calloway
APPEARANCE: A slightly tall lanky child with brown eyes and a black bobbed haircut.
CLASS: JUNIOR SLEUTH
LVL: 4
VITALITY: 250/250
ÉLAN: 157/250 [+25]
????: ???/???
LOST: MARGINALLY
CONFUSED: PROGRESSIVELY
WORRIED: EXTREMELY

• MARI
NAME: Marinette Brighton
APPEARANCE: A pale girl with red hair tied up in blue ribbons.
CLASS: DAREDEVIL DAEDALUS
VITALITY:
425/450
ÉLAN: 286/350
LOST: RATHER
CONFUSED: SLIGHTLY
WORRIED: QUIETLY

• OWEN
NAME: Owen Juan Martinez
APPEARANCE: A tall, skinny boy with messy blond hair that goes all over the place.
CLASS: JACK-OF-QUITE-A-FEW-TRADES
VITALITY:
230/250
ÉLAN: 225/225
LOST: PERMANENTLY
CONFUSED: BUT ACCEPTING
WORRIED: CHANNELLED INTO IRRITATION

• KALA
NAME: Kala Mehrotra
APPEARANCE: A short, slight girl with silky black hair who flickers in an out of being.
CLASS: CLANDESTINE CONSPIRATOR
VITALITY: 200/300
ÉLAN: 20/225
LOST: NOT AT ALL
CONFUSED: PAST THAT POINT
WORRIED: INHERENTLY

• LUCY
SLOT 1: [FLASHLIGHT]
SLOT 2: [PEN & NOTEPAD]
SLOT 3: [GREEN MARKER]
SLOT 4: [PURSE (CONTAINS MAKEUP, TISSUES, CRAYONS, LIST OF CAMERA BLINDSPOTS, DRAWING OF AN EYE, TWENTY DOLLARS and SEVENTY THREE CENTS, CHEAP HAIRPIN)]
SLOT 5: [GAS MASK]
EQUIPPED ITEM: VIOLIN CASE
EQUIPPED WEAPON: TRIDENT [+10% FISTICUFFS, 10% CRIT CHANCE, X2 REACH]
EQUIPPED GARB: INSTITUTE GOWN
EQUIPPED HEADGEAR: CROWN OF POSEIDON [+9 MOXIE, -5 NIMBLENESS]
EQUIPPED EYEWEAR: HELSINKI STYLE [+5 MOXIE, POOR LOW-LIGHT VISION, ????]
EQUIPPED FINERY: VERY SOFT CAT [+25 ÉLAN]
EQUIPPED FOOTWEAR: NONE

• MARI
SLOT 1: [NET]
SLOT 2: [GOLD CROWBAR]
SLOT 3: [FIRST AID KIT]
SLOT 4: [DR ANKARA'S KEYCARD]
SLOT 5: [EMPTY]
EQUIPPED ITEM: EXPENSIVE HAIRPINS
EQUIPPED WEAPON: SCREWDRIVER [5% CRIT CHANCE]
EQUIPPED GARB: PRIVATE SCHOOL UNIFORM
EQUIPPED HEADGEAR: INVENTOR'S HAIR RIBBON [+5 GUMPTION]
EQUIPPED EYEWEAR: NONE
EQUIPPED FINERY: NONE

• OWEN
SLOT 1: [CAN OPENER]
SLOT 2: [CANNED CHICKEN]
SLOT 3: [SHOVEL]
SLOT 4: [GRAPPLING HOOK]
EQUIPPED ITEM: LUCKY BASEBALL [+10 LUCK, REVEALS LUCK STAT]
EQUIPPED WEAPON: NONE
EQUIPPED HEADGEAR: NONE
EQUIPPED FOOTWEAR: SNEAKERS [+5 NIMBLENESS]

• KALA
SLOT 1: [BALL OF SILVER THREAD]
SLOT 2: [HELSINKI'S MISSING JOURNALS]
SLOT 3: [HALF-EATEN CAN OF PEACHES]
SLOT 4: [SMALL PACK OF RED CRAYONS]
EQUIPPED ITEM: RED MARKER [-50% ÉLAN DAMAGE, CAN ONLY BE EQUIPPED BY KALA]
EQUIPPED WEAPON: SHARD OF GLASS [-5 FISTICUFFS, 25% CRIT CHANCE]
EQUIPPED HEADGEAR: NONE
  • LUCY
GUM: 10
MOX: 40 [+14]
ACU: 45
VIG: 20
NIM: 10 [-5]
FST: 10 [+1]
LCK: ??

• MARI
GUM: 40 [+5]
MOX: 5
ACU: 20
VIG: 40
NIM: 15
FST: 10

• OWEN
GUM: 15
MOX: 15
ACU: 15
VIG: 20
NIM: 15 [+5]
FST: 25 [+20]
LCK: 30 [+10]

• KALA
GUM: 15
MOX: 5
ACU: 20
VIG: 25
NIM: 40
FST: 30 [-5]

• TALLIES
[KEYS ENCOUNTERED: 7]
[AREAS ESCAPED: 3]
[PARTY MEMBERS ACQUIRED: 3]
[OTHER KIDS MET: 3]
[STAFF MET: 1]
[FRIVOLOUS SILLINESS: YES, DEFINITELY, ABSOLUTELY]
[SOTERIOLOGY GAMBITS USED: 1]
[LOCKED]
[LOCKED]
[LOCKED]
  • LUCY
RANKS PREVIOUSLY ATTAINED: TRAIL-FOLLOWING TYKE [LVL 1], CRIMEFIGHTING KINDERGARTENER [LVL 2], WATSONIAN WHIPPERSNAPPER [LVL 3]
NEXT RANK: FIFTH GRADE FORENSICS [LVL 5]

• MARI
RANKS PREVIOUSLY ATTAINED: INFANTE INNOVATOR [LVL 1], INTREPID INGENUE [LVL 2], RISK-TAKING RASCAL [LVL 3]
NEXT RANK: THE BOTHER OF INVENTION [LVL 5]

• OWEN
RANKS PREVIOUSLY ATTAINED: UNFAZED EVERYMAN [LVL 1], SNAKE-EYES SCALLYWAG [LVL 2], LUCK'S BEGINNER [LVL 3]
NEXT RANK: A SERIES OF FORTUNATE EVENTS [LVL 5]

• KALA
RANKS PREVIOUSLY ATTAINED: THE BASICS OF BREAK-INS [LVL 1], UNDER COVER OF NIGHTLIGHTS [LVL 2], SECOND-RATE SKULKER [LVL 3]
NEXT RANK: THE WORLD IS QUIET HERE [LVL 5]
LUCY
  • [DEDUCTION FOR DUMMIES] You've read every Sherlock Holmes book at least once, and are making a start on Agatha Christie while you're at it. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to gain additional information about ITEMS when they are in your INVENTORY.
  • [ANALYSIS FOR AMATEURS] You're a smart kid with a keen eye, and you can make detailed observations in real time. Your reaction times might not be the best, but you're great at predicting the places where things will end up being and not being in those places. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to use ACUMEN to DODGE ATTACKS or HAZARDS instead of NIMBLENESS.
  • [INTERROGATION FOR IMBECILES] Your sharp eye and deep empathy mean that you're a wizard when it comes to reading people. Although you can't rely on it to be 100% ACCURATE, this CLASS MACHINATION makes it easier to tell when someone is LYING or HIDING THEIR TRUE FEELINGS.
  • [NOIR FOR NUMBNUTS] You can't see the future, that would be ridiculous - but if you know enough about the present, you can make an educated guess. That's what deduction's about! This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to figure out where somebody you are FOLLOWING is HEADED and PREDICT which path they've taken.
MARI
  • [HOW IT WORKS] You've watched no end of documentaries on manufacture and are the sort of person who reads industrial blueprints recreationally. You can DISCERN THE FUNCTION of MACHINES and identify HIDDEN MECHANISMS just by giving them a CURSORY EXAMINATION.
  • [I MUST NOT FEAR] If the circumstances are right, you can overcome even the strongest terrors with your bravery. Most scary things are never as scary as they seem. You can REROLL any FAILED VIGOR CHECKS against FEAR a maximum of ONCE.
  • [HOLD MY JUICE BOX] You're an unusually reckless child, prone to doing incredibly dangerous things, either ignorant or, more worryingly, with complete and utter awareness of the peril involved. This CLASS MACHINATION halves the ÉLAN DAMAGE taken from being in DANGEROUS SITUATIONS.
  • [MARINETTE RUINS THANKSGIVING] Sometimes, something cannot simply be shoved under the carpet and ignored forever. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to SEE AND TELL THE TRUTH WHEN IT MATTERS, even in situations where doing so is DIFFICULT or SCARY.
OWEN
  • [UP ALL NIGHT TO GET LUCKY] You just seem to have much better luck than the average person. You can- oh, look, a dollar! This CLASS MACHINATION allows you REROLL any checks failed by a SMALL MARGIN a maximum of ONCE.
  • [OH, NO, NOT AGAIN] Despite being somewhat accident prone, your childhood has been one long, long series of accidents that you escaped from miraculously unscathed. This CLASS MACHINATION halves all VITALITY DAMAGE taken from ENVIRONMENTAL SOURCES.
  • [EVERYTHING YOU CAN'T DO I CAN DO BETTER] You might not really be good at anything, but you're also not really bad at anything. You naturally tend to make up for other's weaknesses. This CLASS MACHINATION, when in a PARTY, allows you to gain a BONUS to the LOWEST AVERAGE STAT of the rest of the party equal to (5 x NUMBER OF PARTY MEMBERS.)
  • [OHGODWHAT] You talk so much, and so quickly, that people often have difficult telling what you're talking about unless they know you well. Usually, this is a problem, but if you're lucky enough, even the most irritating of problems can be a useful asset. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to communicate information to your PARTY MEMBERS without anybody else being able to UNDERSTAND it.
KALA
  • [SILENCE IS GOLDEN] You've always been the sort of person whose outdoor voice is comparable to others' indoor voice, and whose indoor voice is comparable to the tread of a cat's paw. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to remain UNDETECTED in a room without taking a NIMBLENESS check as long as you don't affect your surroundings.
  • [DISORIENTING ORIENTEERING] Maps, compasses, that sort of thing has always confused you. And, with a flawless sense of direction and an eye for details, you don't see why you'd need them anyway. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to SPOT and make use of any ALTERNATIVE ROUTES that exist to get to your destination.
  • [SNEAK ATTACK, BITCH!] Sometimes, being quiet and stealthy is just no substitute for a punch to the jaw. When beginning a round of combat UNDETECTED, this CLASS MACHINATION allows you to make TWO ATTACKS and use NIMBLENESS instead of FISTICUFFS on your FIRST TURN.
  • [INVISIBLE INC.] You've never really liked attention. Why stay in the center of a room or, you know, talk to people, when you can curl up and hide in a corner like a sensible person? This CLASS MACHINATION increases your ÉLAN by HALF YOUR NIMBLENESS STAT while you go UNDETECTED BY ENEMIES.
CLASS PROGRESSION

Every time that you gain a LEVEL, you can progress one RANK in your chosen CLASS. Every RANK you gain will increase one of your STATS, as well as grant you a new CLASS MACHINATION.

Levels are gained by finding ARTIFACTS, reaching MILESTONES, and occasionally SOLVING PUZZLES. Every RANK has its own UNIQUE AND VERY SILLY NAME.

Members of your PARTY will all LEVEL at the SAME TIME AS YOU. You can choose which of their STATS is increased, as well as choose which new CLASS MACHINATION they gain.
CLASS MACHINATIONS are abilities that you gain with each RANK in a CLASS. Higher RANKS give you more powerful machinations. You can suggest the use of a CLASS MACHINATION at any time, by voting:

[X] Use [NAME OF CLASS MACHINATION].

There is no limit to the use of CLASS MACHINATIONS, although some of them might have certain prerequisite circumstances for use: If so, the prerequisites will be explained in the machination's description.

To use a party member's CLASS MACHINATION, you must include their name in the command, formatting in the following manner:

[X] Mari: Use [NAME OF CLASS MACHINATION].

Fixes in stats:
Crown of Poseidon gives +9 MOXIE, as per two upgrades:
Keys encountered: changed to 7
Minor formatting fixes.

Items:
[SMALL PACK OF RED CRAYONS] - given to Kala
[CHEAP HAIRPIN], [SEVENTY-THREE CENTS] - added to the PURSE
[BOOK] - unequipped, since we are using it to prop a table
[GAS MASK] - picked up.
I probably won't bother with items that are only relevant for a single location. The INSTRUCTION MANUAL, the TOOLBOX, the KEY, the PAMPHLET and other items that don't seem to be too useful should perhaps only be added to inventory if we decide to take them with us once we leave the room. The UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK is similarly not registered in Inventory, even though we are picking it up and trying to read it, because presumably we won't carry it with us once we are done.

Other changes noticed since the start of Chapter 3:
Lucy:
LOST: OVERLY-> MARGINALLY
CONFUSED: DECIDEDLY -> PROGRESSIVELY
Owen:
Bonus for Class Machination shifted to FST. He is now the fighty-est character in the party. Still without a weapon, though.
Global:
Stat unlocked: [SOTERIOLOGY GAMBITS USED: 1]

Last edited:
> Kala: Watch Lucy remember
[X] DFD the newest KEY.
[X] Do the thing with the key. You know, the weird flashbacky thing.
[X] Lucy: DFD KEY
-[X] Have the others watch you while you do so.
You take a look down at the KEY and frown. What on Earth could possibly be so interesting about a key that it would require other people's attention while you

You're in the relaxation room, dipping your feet in the water and sulking. Dr. Ankara sighs sadly. looking at you with an earnest expression. "Lucy. I promise, once we've done what we need to do, you can go home. It's very important, you know that, right?" You answer by sticking your tongue out. You are dormant, asleep in a thousand tiny fragments, yet voices are whispering to each other in places the children could never hope to hear, not as they are. Perhaps as they will be. WE STILL DO NOT KNOW IF WE WERE FOLLOWED. IT IS TOO LATE FOR WORRIES. THE HORIZON BECKONS. You must respond - as quickly as you can, divided and asleep and dead, you dream, and your dream is a reply. IT WILL NOT HAVE HAPPENED. WHEN IT DID, I DID NOT ALLOW IT. SO THINGS WERE AND SO THINGS HAVE BEEN. Your words bear weight. They always do.

Your head hurts. But you know if you tell Dr. Ankara, she'll act all concerned about you, and worry, and offer you some painkillers, and ask if you're alright. And she'll know the answer to that question, that you're not alright because you've been kidnapped by some mysterious organization that's keeping you locked underground. So you let your head keep hurting. You're a JUNIOR SLEUTH, for God's sake. You'll get out of here before you know it, you're sure of it. You're

look at it, you mean, it's really only a key - wait, why are Mari and Owen staring at you? You give them a quizzical look, folding your arms in your best hardboiled 'whaddaya lookin' at, pal?' pose. You seem pretty hardboiled for the few seconds before you let out a tiny shriek because of the soft voice whispering from just over your shoulder.

"I understand. You remembered." You turn around, but Kala is still across the room, flickering softly. You frown. You're not sure what she's talking about, but you make a note to ask her later. Right now, you have a PUZZLE to focus on.
[X] Take the UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK out from under the table and read it. Also do your best to ignore the table's FRAZZLING LOPSIDEDNESS.
[X] Take UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK
-[X] Use BOOK to prop up COFFEE TABLE if keeping table upright is necessary to remove the ULBook
With all of your ELEVEN-YEAR-OLD STRENGTH, which is to say, NOT VERY MUCH, you prize the UNREASONABLY LARGE BOOK free from its place, replacing its TABLE-SUPPORTING DUTIES with the BOOK you currently have. Taking a closer look at it, it seems to be an ATLAS of MAJOR WORLD CITIES, from AACHEN to ZWOLLE.
[X] See if the KEY can open the TOOLBOX or BOTTOM LOCKER.
Putting the ATLAS down on the TABLE, because as much as you like PRETZELS, you have no wish for your spine to become one because you've spent all day carrying around UNREASONABLY HEAVY BOOKS, you go to see if the KEY you found can open the TOOLBOX. As you expected, the KEY fits neatly into the LOCK like a key into a.... you frown a little, trying to find a different simile, a task which preoccupies you so much that you don't notice Mari walking over to you - the girl seems attracted to all things mechanical like a young person with a passion for engineering to something mechanical.

"This is quite interesting," she says happily as you reel in confusion from what on Earth you thought you were doing with your last simile. You shake your head, snapping back to reality, and turn your gaze to what she's looking at. As well as a bunch of COMPLEX TOOLS YOU DON'T KNOW THE NAMES OF, it also contains some sort of BLUEPRINTS for... something or other.
[x] If the TOOLBOX is opened, ask MARY to try and fix the busted electronics. Really nicely. Maybe with the help of the MANUAL she can manage.
[X] Have Mari use HiW on the POORLY-LABELLED BLACK-AND-WHITE DIAGRAMS
Mari is so enthusiastic about the prospect of working with this mechanism that it only takes a single compliment to get her reading the MANUAL and trying to work out how to FIX THE ELEVATOR DOORS instead of the usual several. After a few moments of the sort of quiet 'mhm's and 'ah's that somebody could only possible make when trying to make themselves seem smart while reading something, she looks up with a SERIOUS EXPRESSION, idly twirling one of her HAIR RIBBONS with her finger.

"I could use this wiring kit," she gestures at the contents of the TOOLBOX, which might as well be a PARMESAN SANDWICH as a WIRING KIT for all you can tell, "To fix the elevator doors. But I'd need some electronic components from somewhere. And I'd need the reset code to get it all working again afterwards. And I'd need Owen to say 'I am actually wrong and Mari Brighton is the best' five times over." You nod thoughtfully. She drives an unforgiving bargain, but it's a sacrifice that you're willing to make on Owen's behalf.
[X] Examine SAFE DIAL
[X] KALA: Consider if she has any idea about possible SAFE codes, given her ownership of HELSINKI'S MISSING JOURNALS and the POST-IT-NOTE's hint.
You examine the SAFE DIAL. The code has FOUR DIGITS, and the dial is FREE OF DUST, making it likely that it's USED VERY REGULARLY, as if what's inside is a BASIC HOUSEHOLD ITEM THAT REALLY SHOULDN'T BE IN A SAFE.

"Looking," a voice says softly right beside you, and you're nearly terrified out of your skin by Kala for the second time in five minutes. "Looking at. Words. Words are interesting. I know.... lots of words. Words. Words words words. Words are... for birds. I wish I was a bird."

Not really certain how to respond to that, you instead just SMILE at Kala. "What do you think the code might be?" you ask her, partly because she might know more about Dr. Helsinki than you and partly because you're fairly sure this poor girl has never felt welcome or included in her entire life.

"Unless it is 'I am Klaus Helsinki and I am really great and better than everyone,' I do not know what the password is." You nod. Kala looks a little happier - probably, at least, it's hard to tell when she's translucent and shimmering - than she did beforehand.
[X] Equip sunglasses.
You're already wearing your HELSINKI STYLE!
[X] Read OLD PAMPHLET
[x] Examine GSC'S LOGO
You pick up the PAMPHLET, taking a look at the logo of the GSC - a stylized G, S, and C, all put together to form the shape of a GLOBE such as the FOUNTAIN in the center of the room. The PAMPHLET is titled "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About The History Of The GSC But Lacked The Security Clearance To Be Told". Some of the INK is slightly SMUDGED, making some segments ILLEGIBLE.
Pamphlet said:
For years, the Global Soteriology Consortium has kept the world safe from people and things that would bring it harm. Through research, diplomacy, and clandestine operations, the globe has been kept a quiet place. Perhaps not the best place in all the universe to live, in some areas, but a quiet place. A world where the abnormal is quickly forgotten about and no cause for alarm. A world where we can all wake up in the morning and know that the world hasn't been transformed overnight. A world that is safe. But how did the Consortium come into being? That question takes us back to nineteenth-century Britain and a man named Edmund Brighton.

A theologian, physicist, sailor, businessman, and amateur oracle, Edmund Brighton had the professional acquaintance of many interesting and intelligent people, and, after being directly involved in the [illegible] incident in [illegible] he decided that the best purpose that this collection of great minds could be put to would be to the one cause that mattered above all else - the protection of humanity. Using a large part of his fortune, Edmund founded the Consortium in the latter half of the nineteenth century as an international research organization comprised of the world's leading scientific minds.

However, although nations all around the world were willing to invest in the project, popular opinion was much against it. It was because of this that John Brighton, son of Edmund Brighton, took his father's organization into secrecy when he inherited the control over it previously held by him. The Consortium continued its vital research over the decades, adding a covert operations wing to its structure in 1923, an assassinations department in 1931, a xenosciences department in 1947, and a retail & catering department in 1952. Although John Brighton did not pass his leadership of the organization to his son, as his father did, but instead to a qualified team of international directors composed of people who do not officially exist according to the governments of most modern nations, his family continues to do vital work for the GSC.

Since the landing of the Prometheus Meteorite in [illegible], the focus of the Global Soteriology Consortium's research has been on ways of averting [illegible] which was judged to be overwhelmingly likely after detailed analysis by [illegible]. Remember: by working for us, you make a difference, and also do not legally exist! Be proud of the history of the place you work, just be sure to be proud about it silently and in total secret.

Elaine Paris, PhD.
[x] DFD the OLD PAMPHLET
Taking a CLOSER LOOK at the pamphlet, you can tell from the SMELL OF THE PAPER and the BRAND OF INK that this was printed in MELBOURNE. You can also tell that from the small text in the bottom right corner that reads "PRINTED IN MELBOURNE." That helps too.
[X] Have Mari use HiW on the GLASS BARRIER
"While you were reading," Mari announces proudly, saying 'reading' in the same tone one might say 'playing tiddlywinks' or 'rolling around on the floor gurgling', "I looked at that television. I reckon that if I could get it open, I'd have the parts I need to fix the elevator. But it's got a glass panel over it that I think we'll need the remote to remove." She pauses, sighing. "It's always the bloody remote that you can't find when you need it, isn't it?"
[X] DFD GAS MASK
[X] DFD PORTRAIT
The CLASS MACHINATION [DEDUCTION FOR DUMMIES] has been activated!
The GAS MASK is very modern, and seems to have been created ESPECIALLY FOR USE AT THIS FACILITY, judging from the GSC LOGO present on the FILTERS. The PORTRAIT is...

You can't bring yourself to examine it beyond the fact that it was drawn by someone with the artistic talent of a soggy cabbage.

[X] Look up MELBOURNE in the ATLAS (and maybe HELSINKI just for fun!)
[X] MARI: Recite the name of every tool in the TOOLBOX just to show off.

Everyone's so adorable!

The remote's probably in the safe. We need the remote to examine the TV and to get the TV parts. We need the TV parts to fix the elevator. So, we need the password to the safe...

'I am Klaus Helsinki and I am really great and better than everyone,'

[Q] Try 9-1-13-11

But it's got a glass panel over it that I think we'll need the remote to remove." She pauses, sighing. "It's always the bloody remote that you can't find when you need it, isn't it?"
[k] SMASH THE GLASS PANEL WITH A CROWBAR

*sigh* The things we don't do to remain well-behaved. And there is really no one around to appreciate it, too.

[x] Examine the FOUNTAIN

[x] Check the ATLAS for things that can be entered as the SAFE CODE. Coordinates maybe?
-[x] Try the coordinates for Helsinki.

I don't think there is a lot left for us to do...

> Owen: Carry a broken defraculator
[X] MARI: Recite the name of every tool in the TOOLBOX just to show off.
"Hey, Martinez," Marinette calls out, holding out an unidentifiable gadget as she goes through the toolbox, "Can you hold this?"

"... sure?" says a slightly confused and mildly concerned Owen.

"Do you know what it is?" she adds over her shoulder, smirking smugly.

".... no?" says Owen, not getting any less confused or any less concerned.

"It's a potentiometer. Can you hold this?" she continues, holding out another piece of equipment.

"Uh," Owen replies nervously, but takes another one nonetheless. You think you'll leave them to this.
[x] Examine the FOUNTAIN
The FOUNTAIN is very decidedly not producing water, but you don't really feel QUALIFIED to to tell why. Instead, you just admire the way it's shaped like an ORNATE GLOBE. You can see your house from here! At least, a vague representation of the rough geographical location of your house. Tomato, tomato.

"...and this is a manual wire wrapping gun," you hear from the other side of the room, and turn around to see Owen with a rapidly growing pile of electrical components in his arms, struggling to balance them all. Mari is smirking at him, obviously pleased with herself.
[X] Look up MELBOURNE in the ATLAS (and maybe HELSINKI just for fun!)
[x] Check the ATLAS for things that can be entered as the SAFE CODE. Coordinates maybe?
You look up MELBOURNE and discover several interesting things, such as that it was originally going to be called BATMANIA, which sounds like EXACTLY THE SORT OF HARDBOILED CITY you'd GIVE AN ARM AND A LEG to live in. Well. Maybe not quite an arm and a leg. You need your arms. And your legs. Really, you ideally need all your limbs at basically all times. The page for HELSINKI has been DEFACED IN MARKER PEN to show a STICK FIGURE WEARING SHADES AND A BOMBER JACKET, with the words "COOLEST CITY EVER FOR COOL PEOPLE" written on it. Looking closer at the entry, you see that the LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE of the city are 60 N, 24.9 E.
-[x] Try the coordinates for Helsinki.
Whistling cheerfully, you walk over to the safe, listening in on the conversation as you go.

"... and that's a broken defraculator,"

"Okay, no, I'm sorry, okay, look, you have to have made that one up."

"Well, is it defraculating?"

"I don't- That's not fair, I don't know what defraculating is! For all I know it's defraculating a hundred.... a hundred blah blah sciency words a lightyear!"

"It does not look like it is defraculating," Kala adds quietly. "But I also do not know what that is."

"Well," Mari presses confidently onward, "If it's not defraculating, what you've got is a broken defraculator and that's that."

You manage to supress your giggling for long enough to concentrate on the safe, and try inputting 6-0-2-5. It works! You punch the air, and open the safe to find a TV REMOTE. Dr. Helsinki must really feel strongly about having control over the channel changes, you think to yourself."

[X] Use the TV REMOTE to open the GLASS CASING.
[X] Rescue Owen by pointing Mari toward the TELEVISION.
[X] Look up all the other cities in the ATLAS that correspond to the names of the GSC people.

Back