Questionably Soteriological: A Puzzle/Mystery Quest with Kids, Science, and Fun!

Hmm. The fountain's filled with something that definitely and conspicuously isn't water? Well, it's probably not ascension formula, there's no way they'd just leave that stuff lying around.

I guess that means the contents of the fountain are a mystery, then!

[x] Lucy: Jump into the fountain.

Pity we don't have a bottle or something.

Last edited:
Hmm. The fountain's filled with something that definitely and conspicuously isn't water? Well, it's probably not ascension formula, there's no way they'd just leave that stuff lying around.

I guess that means the contents of the fountain are a mystery, then!

[x] Lucy: Jump into the fountain.

Pity we don't have a bottle or something.
Unless I'm misinterpreting something, I'm pretty sure the fountain is just off, not that it's spewing something that isn't water.

As you do so, you casually listen in to Owen and Mari's conversation. Perhaps they're getting along!

"Don't be so stupid, that's obviously not right!"

"Oh, wow, I, uh, I see, I'm the one being stupid, right, yeah, of course, yeah. Right."
"But I'd need some electronic components from somewhere. And I'd need the reset code to get it all working again afterwards. And I'd need Owen to say 'I am actually wrong and Mari Brighton is the best' five times over."
"Hey, Martinez," Marinette calls out, holding out an unidentifiable gadget as she goes through the toolbox, "Can you hold this?"

"... sure?" says a slightly confused and mildly concerned Owen.

"Do you know what it is?" she adds over her shoulder, smirking smugly.

".... no?" says Owen, not getting any less confused or any less concerned.

"It's a potentiometer. Can you hold this?" she continues, holding out another piece of equipment.
Okay, once or twice I could overlook, but this?
"Don't be dumb, Luce, I don't even have a wife." Owen shakes his head disappointedly.
Do not fret, Martinez, SV willing, you will have one soon.

The page for HELSINKI has been DEFACED IN MARKER PEN to show a STICK FIGURE WEARING SHADES AND A BOMBER JACKET, with the words "COOLEST CITY EVER FOR COOL PEOPLE" written on it.
That does it!
[x] Put the BOMBER JACKET on.
-[x] Yes, you know it's too big. Roll up the sleeves if need be. Find something sharp in the TOOLBOX to trim it down. Fashion demands sacrifice!

Once this is over we'll go to Helsinki-the-city and feel right at home among all the cool people!

[x] See what kind of shows are running on TV. What's going on in the world?

[The GLASS CASING] is presumably there so that YOUNG HOOLIGANS, HOODIES, AND VANDALS like yourself aren't able to VANDALIZE the TELEVISION.
[x] VANDALISE the TELEVISION!!
-[x] Err, on second thought, let Mari do it to get the components she needs to fix the ELEVATOR DOOR.

We have the electronic components, but what could be the code for the Elevator? Most importantly, do we even know what the codes look like? I mean, knowing that the safe code is 4 numbers was enough for us to guess that it's the coordinates from the atlas.

Maybe ask Kala if she knows about this, or what was on the sign? She was in the room when we found her...

It is probably something related to GSC, maybe even something that's mentioned on the pamphlet. What are we missing?

Alternatively, may have something to do with the fountain/globe and the atlas.

(and what the 73 cents and the gas mask could be for?)

Last edited:
The gas mask was from the interlude, the world is dying.
Wait, what? When? Where?

I mean, we know that something bad is about to happen to this world hence the GSC experiment, but I don't think the nature of the disaster was ever disclosed, and neither were its effects.

As for the mask, we just found it in the locker in this very room. Supposedly there is an area where it could prove useful, but I don't remember hints about it being the surface, or, well, anything specific. I might have forgotten, though. :confused:

> Lucy, Mari, Owen, & Kala: Watch emergency broadcast
[X] Indulge in harmless television if the remote works. Maybe Jeopardy's on.
[x] See what kind of shows are running on TV. What's going on in the world?
[X] Use the TV REMOTE to open the GLASS CASING.
You take a close look at the T.V. REMOTE and see that it has TWO SLIGHTLY UNUSUAL BUTTONS, one with a pair of RECTANGLES, which, when you tap it, reveals itself to be responsible for OPENING the GLASS CASE, and one that just says "EMERGENCY BROADCAST." Throwing yourself back onto the COUCH, you turn the TELEVISION on, and see... nothing. Well, it's not quite nothing. It's static, white noise blaring through the speakers. After a few seconds, an automated electronic female voice speaks up.

"The facility is currently on lockdown, and is unable to receive signals right now. The GSC apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause. Please relax, follow standard emergency protocol, and wait for the emergency to be over, at which point we will once more receive all channels as usual. Thank you for your co-operation." Mari sticks her tongue out at the TV, presumably irritated that an inanimate pre-recorded message is somehow able to match her in the 'smug self-satisfaction' field in which she excels. Curiously, you press the button marked 'EMERGENCY BROADCAST' and are treated to a a screen that is TOTALLY BLACK except for the words "Please stand by."

You're about to dismiss this completely and tell Mari she's free to disassemble the television so that she can repair the elevator, when all of a sudden there's a loud beep and the screen bursts into static, which soon resolves itself into an image - a human face, brown-haired and smiling softly, in the same way that a pillow smothering someone in the night is soft. You recognise him from one of the portraits you've seen. He's Jack Brighton. He appears to be sitting on an office chair, leaning back and absent-mindedly cleaning his nails. After a few seconds, he pretends to just have noticed that he's being broadcast, and leans in (one might uncharitably say uncomfortably close) to the camera.

"Oh, hello! Sorry, I forgot I had this running, oh silly old me." He runs a hand absently through his hair, his smile widening into a grin. His tone is pleasant and conversational, jovial and almost intimate, but with something sly about it, as if he was sharing a secret with you. "Good evening, everyone who's listening. I know it's been a hectic day, hasn't it? A little more hectic than I presume you'd hoped it would be, Elaine. By the way, I'm surprised you don't seem to have worked this out yet, darling, our superiors - well, your superiors, I should say, I've chosen the winning team - aren't going to be arriving to salvage you or this project any time soon. I've blocked all signals entering or leaving this facility, including your distress signals. I know a miserable fucking psychotic bitch like yourself," he adds, tone and smile remaining at exactly the same level of mild affability despite his words, "Might have a neurotic breakdown now that you're not in control of absolutely everything there is to be in control of in this situation, but I'm afraid that you'll have to live with it, for however long you live. Which, seeing as Sol is on her way to meet you, can't be long. Ta-ta!" He gives a jaunty wave, stretches, yawns, and relaxes back a little in his chair, before starting as if he forgot something, leaning back in with an even wider smile and a glint in his eye like light gleaming off a sharpened knife.

"But the good Doctor Paris isn't the only one tuning in, is she? No, no, it would be terrible rude of me not to say anything to my darlingest niece." In your peripheral vision, you see Mari tense up, still as a statue, making an expression like a rabbit who had just robbed a bank caught in the headlights of a police car. "Marinette, my sweet little girl, I'm very disappointed." He starts to tut, shaking his head sadly, and he really does look disappointed. Mari moves, but only slightly, taking a small step away from the screen and putting her head down without seeming to realize she's doing it. "I mean, conspiring with experiments, abetting traitors, what would your dear old mother think of any of this?" He chuckles lightly, as if he just told an excellent joke about the weather, and claps his hands together, a gesture which, despite being performed through a screen, makes Mari flinch ever so slightly. "Well, I'm certain you'll come to your senses sooner or later, or I suppose you'll just give me no option but to bring you to them. I assure you, Marinette, either option is fine with me." He makes the word 'fine' sound like a knife being twisted into someone's gut. "If you decide to do the smart thing and choose the sensible option over your sad, ragtag little group of fair-weather friends, my arms are always open for you, dear girl." His smile widens, and something about that smile makes your skin crawl. You're not even sure Mari is breathing at this point. "It's been lovely addressing you two beautiful ladies, but I really have other things to be getting on with, so if you'll all excuse me-"

And that's the last word you hear of the emergency broadcast before the GOLD CROWBAR that Mari had been holding onto goes flying through the air and crashes directly into the center of the television's screen with a loud CRACK. Breathing heavily, Mari glares at the TELEVISION, a bead of blood forming on her lip where she seems to have bitten it hard enough to draw blood.
[X] Rescue Owen by pointing Mari toward the TELEVISION.
[x] VANDALISE the TELEVISION!!
-[x] Err, on second thought, let Mari do it to get the components she needs to fix the ELEVATOR DOOR.

There are a few seconds of utter silence, before you take a step, slowly, towards Mari, hands up to make sure she knows you mean no harm. "Mari," you say softly, "Maybe you should start taking the TV apart, okay? You said you needed parts to fix the elevator, right?" Mutely, Mari nods, and, taking a bunch of tools in hand, walks over to the TV and begins taking it apart with a sort of methodical fury that gives you the suspicion she'd be just as willing to take apart a human being instead right now.
That does it!
[x] Put the BOMBER JACKET on.
-[x] Yes, you know it's too big. Roll up the sleeves if need be. Find something sharp in the TOOLBOX to trim it down. Fashion demands sacrifice!
Feeling a little unnerved by Jack Brighton's broadcast, you walk over to the LOCKER and wriggle your way into the BOMBER JACKET, pushing the sleeves up so that you can at least use your HANDS. It's far too big for you, but goddamnit, it's warm and comfy, and even more importantly, it looks COOL.
EQUIPPED GARB: HELSINKI AESTHETIC [5% VITALITY DAMAGE REDUCTION, -5 NIMBLENESS]
GARB MEDLEY ASSEMBLED: WHAT THE HELSINKI? [+2.5 VIGOR for every equipped item from the WHAT THE HELSINKI? GARB MEDLEY, Dr. Helsinki will now think you have STYLE.*]
*Whether this is a buff or a debuff is subject to individual interpretation.
[X] Look up all the other cities in the ATLAS that correspond to the names of the GSC people.
You look up ANKARA, PARIS, STOCKHOLM, KYOTO, GENEVA, AND BRIGHTON. There's nothing ANOMALOUS about any of these entries, except for CHILDISH DOODLES of the associated staff members saying RIDICULOUS THINGS which were presumably scrawled by Dr. Helsinki. Like the entry for HELSINKI, they all have their CO-ORDINATES listed, as well as a FUN FACT.
[X] Mari: HIW the fountain.
"I disassembled the television, since I'm quite certain you wouldn't be smart enough to," Mari says as she walks over to you, arms crossed, head high, the very picture of her usual arrogance. You smile at her, and she frowns at you. "I have the parts and tools to repair the elevator, but it'll be completely useless to do so if we don't have the elevator reset code."

"Do you have any idea why the fountain isn't working?" you ask her, thinking to yourself quietly.

"Of course I do, Calloway. I thought we'd already established that I was the clever one. There's a problem with the pipes. A quick tightening of the bolts should do the trick, I think. The schematics for the whole thing were in the toolbox. There'll be seven or so maintenance hatches for something that ornate, but I have no idea where on the blasted thing they are."

Last edited:
Fractures in the group were to be expected, but such a complete double-cross? Jack is outdoing himself. Choosing the winning team, eh? Possibly those that intend to cause the disaster.

Don't tell me we now have to save Elaine just because she knows how to operate the facility and how to fix... whatever this is.

There'll be seven or so maintenance hatches for something that ornate, but I have no idea where on the blasted thing they are.
Well...
ANKARA, PARIS, STOCKHOLM, KYOTO, GENEVA, AND BRIGHTON.
Plus HELSINKI. Could the coordinates for those mean something? That'd be some videogame logic for placing the hatches, though.

[x] Read FUN FACTS.
[x] Examine the GLOBE FOUNTAIN
-[x] Check the places corresponding to the COORDINATES of the cities.

Last edited:
Two ladies, hm?

So he's probably tuning in live, barring surprise precogs or something, but he can't see Kara and doesn't suspect she's with us, either.

Excellent.

(I mean, less than excellent, poor Mari :(. But a secret ninja is always handy!)

I took it as if he meant Elaine and Mari. The only two he was talking to.

But yes, they were unable to get Kala on the cameras for a while now. That reminds me, she said we will go separate ways once we fix the elevator.
"You're here to take the elevator. You made it through the maze. The elevator isn't working. It's broken. If the elevator wanted to go through the maze, it couldn't. Because it is broken. But fixing it is like a puzzle. And you can do puzzles. You're smart. Smart kids. Clever kids. Maybe not still kids. But still clever. If you do your clever thing and fix the elevator, we can go. You can do your clever thing, and I can do my thing, which is different. It is only fair that you help," she continues
I wonder what she wants to do.

Last edited:
I took it as if he meant Elaine and Mari. The only two he was talking to.

But yes, they were unable to get Kala on the cameras for a while now. That reminds me, she said we will go separate ways once we fix the elevator.

I wonder what she wants to do.
That quote really doesn't give me the impression Kala intended to go off on her own once the elevator was fixed. It seems more like she was just saying that Lucy has her talents and she has her own.

[X] Check the seven continents on the globe, or maybe the seven geographic locations for the GSC staff's names. Perhaps that's where you'll find the maintenance hatches.

This sort of thing really makes me wonder why they bothered to set up all these weird puzzles around a facility in a state of three-faction civil war. Eh, genre convention things.

Also, can you believe it took me until this long to notice all the GSC members too on the names of cities?

A review:

Ankara: Sabotaged the GSC project despite believing it to be necessary. Designed the Labyrinth. Helsinki's fellow researcher, though she doesn't like him very much (this is one-sided). Mari and Charles Brighton like her, but Kala distrusts her after she did something very bad (Geneva's roulette?). Probably dead. We owe her $20.

Helsinki: Helped Ankara with her plan to sabotage the GSC project. In charge of a military contingent used to subdue Venus while he was still working for the GSC. Ran for it when "some crisis" occurred. In hiding somewhere in the facility as of start of Chapter 3. "Not a team player. Resistant to authority." Questionable choice in fashion.

Stockholm: "Huge douche. Huge creep. The worst." Perfectly gelled hair. Kala really, really hates him in particular.

Kyoto: Head of security. Jack Brighton's enforcer? (as seen in Ch3 start) Only cares about doing her job. Attacked by Sol but survived, unlike her security officers.

Paris: Helsinki's boss. "Horrible." Watching security for Kyoto as of Ch2 start. About to be attacked by Sol.

Geneva: "Doctor" without actual degree, likely in medical wing. Research assistant to Ankara and Helsinki. Criminal record of the kind that disgusts Helsinki. Came up with a "Geneva's roulette" idea that Dr. Ankara was considering using to inflict stress on Kala. Can't be trusted except for medical care.

Charles Brighton: Marinette's father. Unlike all other members of the GSC, did not know Mari would be an ascension carrier (according to Dr. Ankara). In main building, "somewhere above ground." Deteriorating mental state according to multiple sources. There's a ton of portraits of him in the puzzle rooms that were needed to solve some of the puzzles, so Kala thinks he's a narcissist- ahem, an "egocentric god complex delusions of grandeur lunatic."

Jack Brighton: A very, very not nice person.

Good summary. A few nitpicks.
Ankara: [...] Helsinki's fellow researcher, though she doesn't like him very much (this is one-sided).
She kept a photo of going to a party with him in a separate locker, and he is the only person she trusts in the entire Consortium.
In the west wing, you may meet other staff members trying to escape: Klaus Helsinki, perhaps. If you see him... tell him I said he's an idiot, and that I'll meet him when I can.
Also, her parting words strike me as affectionate. I think they are at the very least on friendly terms.

Helsinki: [...] Questionable choice in fashion.
No, it is flawless! FLAWLESS! :mad:

Kyoto: Head of security. Jack Brighton's enforcer? (as seen in Ch3 start) Only cares about doing her job.
If she only cares about doing her job (for the GSC), then how could she be an enforcer for Jack Brighton who betrayed it and wants to ruin the project to appease 'the winning team'?
This last exclamation is the result of the slow, perfectly collected leveling of the gun so that it points directly between his eyes. "You are abandoning your post in a time of crisis, Helsinki. I suppose Dr. Paris doesn't know where you are? Perhaps you've been working against the Consortium all of this time. Let me warn you, before you answer for yourself. One word wrong, and I shoot you between the eyes."
I think it is safe to say she is still on Elaine's side.

Last edited:
Also, her parting words strike me as affectionate. I think they are at the very least on friendly terms.

Oh, right. I was thinking of that "Perhaps I'll ask Klaus, if I can stand his presence for more than [illegible] minutes." line, but in retrospect it does fit an annoying friend better.

Also, good point on Kyoto, I have no idea what I was thinking.

No, it is flawless! FLAWLESS! :mad:

Mari: *raises eyebrow*

Well, for completeness' sake.

[x] If you manage to get the water running again, try to wash the blood off the SIGN to get the RESET CODE for the ELEVATOR.

There are plenty of clothes still left to use as rags.

Last edited:
So, you might be wondering, is this dead? And the answer is a resounding "no!" I might be dually blessed and cursed with being one of the most inconsistent yet tenacious people in the world. My life has, however, been taken over by essays, tests, and papers for the last month or so, and will continue to do so until I've finished my exams for my current courses in mid-May. Until then, I might find the time to put out an update or two - but after that, rest assured we will be back to regularly scheduled JUNIOR SLEUTHing.

So, you might be wondering, is this dead? And the answer is a resounding "no!" I might be dually blessed and cursed with being one of the most inconsistent yet tenacious people in the world. My life has, however, been taken over by essays, tests, and papers for the last month or so, and will continue to do so until I've finished my exams for my current courses in mid-May. Until then, I might find the time to put out an update or two - but after that, rest assured we will be back to regularly scheduled JUNIOR SLEUTHing.
Trust me, we understand. I'm in the middle of exams myself and dear gods there are so many other things I should be doing T.T

Okay, so! After a lengthy, lengthy hiatus due to exams, I can announce that Questionably Soteriological will resume regular updates, starting from Wednesday the 14th! That is, if anyone is still interested, haha, I understand it's been a long time. Thank you so much to anyone who is still reading this and has put up with my horrible inconsistency for so long.

Okay, so! After a lengthy, lengthy hiatus due to exams, I can announce that Questionably Soteriological will resume regular updates, starting from Wednesday the 14th! That is, if anyone is still interested, haha, I understand it's been a long time. Thank you so much to anyone who is still reading this and has put up with my horrible inconsistency for so long.
I'm still interested! :) Good to see you back.

Back