Questionably Soteriological: A Puzzle/Mystery Quest with Kids, Science, and Fun!

Also, are you sure the Illuminator is Sol? Its position in the list suggests it's Gaia, and humanity is associated with enlightenment.
The models of the solar system we have found so far in the quest are geocentric. In the geocentric model the postion on the list does correspond to the sun.

[X] INTRODUCE YOURSELF, FIRST OF ALL

First of all, I love the idea of this quest and was quite impressed to discover it.

Also, are you sure the Illuminator is Sol? Its position in the list suggests it's Gaia, and humanity is associated with enlightenment.

This order appears to be based the Ptolemaic model, which had the planets, starting with Mercury, orbiting the Earth above the moon, with the Sun between Venus and Mars.

I almost want to brag of our knowledge somehow...

[?] "Kala? Is it Kala?"

but let's not spook our stealthy friend. Also, the forms must be observed.

[X] INTRODUCE YOURSELF, FIRST OF ALL

She never did write her name in red marker (as far as we saw), so it might be a bit presumptuous of us to call her name even though we found it in Ankara's documents.

Last edited:
Hmm. Good point.

Further speculation:

The tablet inscriptions are referred to as "THE OLD WORDS. YOU COULD NOT HOPE TO UNDERSTAND, CHILD." in the threadmarks. That would imply that Saturn's ascension is very old and likely has been here for a very long time.

So that dream might have taken place in the past, meaning we might not be able to take for granted that Gaia's ascension hasn't arrived yet.

Alternatively, the ascensions came and went before, and the tablet is from when they were previously here long ago.

Oh right, another thing, I can't recall if anyone has asked yet in all this time....

But, if you're okay to, @causticAccolade I'm kind of wondering what would have happened if we picked alternative traits for our player character? Would we be Luna or Mercury or...? Would we always be Saturn? Would Mari always have the strengths she had and be the character she is or did all of the cast depend on who we were?

I just thought the possibility of not having Lucy and that made me sad. :(

If this is spoilers or you just don't want to answer then a nonstatement is cool too :3

Alright, I'm less of a wreck than I have been recently, which means that the next update ought to be tomorrow!

> Hello. You are detective girl. (Lucy, Mari, & Owen: Level up!)
[X] INTRODUCE YOURSELF, FIRST OF ALL]

"Hello," you begin, holding out a hand politely. You're fairly sure that earlier in the evening, the shimmering, transparent, half-there figure of a girl in front of you would have frightened you. But after what this day has been like, you're not sure anything will ever frighten you again. Well, except spiders. They're pretty gross. "My name is Lucy Calloway, private detective. These are my associates, Marinette, a technological genius, and Owen, a... boy." You offer her what you think is a reassuring smile - the same smile you offer your clients when they're distraught over their missing pets, or lost homework, or defaced books. Of course, she's probably had much worse happen to her than losing a piece of homework - probably even worse than losing even a really important piece of homework - so you're not sure if your smile will do. But it's what you have to offer, and so you give it.

It's hard to read a response in the shimmering, flickering mirage of a girl in front of you, but she does extend a hand to shake yours, a light touch that almost feels like there's nothing there at all, like the wind blowing upon your hand on a cold day. You're worried for a second that she won't be able to speak, but then you hear it, a voice that sounds a little like wind rustling through trees in the autumn. A voice so soft that you have to strain to hear it properly.

"Hello. You are detective girl. And particles girl. And lucky boy. I am the moon. I have a name, but names don't matter here. It's Kala, if you want to know it. Now that we know each other's names, we can get along. That's good." She flickers into being again, and offers a tentative smile, before vanishing altogether. You frown, taking a step into the room, and after a few seconds of concerted squinting, spot her reclining on a bench and staring directly at you.

"You're here to take the elevator. You made it through the maze. The elevator isn't working. It's broken. If the elevator wanted to go through the maze, it couldn't. Because it is broken. But fixing it is like a puzzle. And you can do puzzles. You're smart. Smart kids. Clever kids. Maybe not still kids. But still clever. If you do your clever thing and fix the elevator, we can go. You can do your clever thing, and I can do my thing, which is different. It is only fair that you help," she continues, a tone of suspicion in her voice, like she's been betrayed too many times to see anything coming but an attack, "Because I already helped you. With writing. I liked your letters. You are very polite. It was nice. Nobody is polite to me. So," and then, a flicker, and she's gone - and the mirage is back, right in front of your face, a face shimmering into existence with pleading eyes.

"Will you help?"

Before Mari can open her mouth and say something impolite, you nod. "Naturally."

[KALA MEHROTRA has JOINED YOUR PARTY!]
[You may now VIEW KALA'S CHARACTER SHEET]

LUCY CALLOWAY
has GAINED A LEVEL!
You have ascended from [WATSONIAN WHIPPERSNAPPER] to [TEACHER'S PET DETECTIVE]

Select ONE STAT INCREASE:

[] +5 GUMPTION
[] +5 VIGOR
[] +5 FISTICUFFS

Select ONE CLASS MACHINATION:

[] NOIR FOR NUMBNUTS: You can't see the future, that would be ridiculous - but if you know enough about the present, you can make an educated guess. That's what deduction's about! This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to figure out where somebody you are FOLLOWING is HEADED and PREDICT which path they've taken.
[] IT'S ALARMING HOW CHARMING I FEEL: When you're a JUNIOR SLEUTH, it pays off to make sure you can get grown-ups to do what you want them to. A few polite words, a smile, and perhaps a boost to their ego, and it's easy as cake. This CLASS MACHINATION lets you double your MOXIE STAT bonus when interacting with a NON-HOSTILE ADULT.

MARI BRIGHTON has GAINED A LEVEL!
She has ascended from [RISK-TAKING RASCAL] to [AFFLUENT PRODIGY]

[] +5 NIMBLENESS
[] +5 FISTICUFFS
[] +5 GUMPTION

[] MARINETTE RUINS THANKSGIVING: Sometimes, something cannot simply be shoved under the carpet and ignored forever. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to SEE AND TELL THE TRUTH WHEN IT MATTERS, even in situations where doing so is DIFFICULT or SCARY.
[] WELL, DOES IT DEFRACULATE?: You're an expert at fixing machines, and breaking something is basically just fixing it in reverse. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you make a GUMPTION CHECK in order to DISABLE ANY MACHINE that you're able to GET AT THE INNER MECHANISMS OF.

OWEN MARTINEZ has GAINED A LEVEL!
He has ascended from [LUCK'S BEGINNER] to [FORTUNE'S FOLLY]

[] +5 FISTICUFFS
[] +5 VIGOR
[] +5 NIMBLENESS

[] THAT WAS A PRACTICE TURN:
It takes a lot of luck to get a second chance. Fortunately, you've always been, as long as you can remember, inordinately lucky. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to REROLL your FIRST failed ATTACK or DEFENSE ROLL in any instance of COMBAT.
[] OHGODWHAT: You talk so much, and so quickly, that people often have difficult telling what you're talking about unless they know you well. Usually, this is a problem, but if you're lucky enough, even the most irritating of problems can be a useful asset. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to communicate information to your PARTY MEMBERS without anybody else being able to UNDERSTAND it.

Woohoo! I love this quest.

LUCY CALLOWAY
[X] +5 VIGOR
[X] IT'S ALARMING HOW CHARMING I FEEL:
When you're a JUNIOR SLEUTH, it pays off to make sure you can get grown-ups to do what you want them to. A few polite words, a smile, and perhaps a boost to their ego, and it's easy as cake. This CLASS MACHINATION lets you double your MOXIE STAT bonus when interacting with a NON-HOSTILE ADULT.

MARI BRIGHTON
[X] +5 GUMPTION
[X] MARINETTE RUINS THANKSGIVING:
Sometimes, something cannot simply be shoved under the carpet and ignored forever. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to SEE AND TELL THE TRUTH WHEN IT MATTERS, even in situations where doing so is DIFFICULT or SCARY.

OWEN MARTINEZ
[X] +5 VIGOR
[X] OHGODWHAT:
You talk so much, and so quickly, that people often have difficult telling what you're talking about unless they know you well. Usually, this is a problem, but if you're lucky enough, even the most irritating of problems can be a useful asset. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to communicate information to your PARTY MEMBERS without anybody else being able to UNDERSTAND it.

Last edited:
This is gonna be great!

LUCY CALLOWAY
[X] +5 VIGOR
[X] IT'S ALARMING HOW CHARMING I FEEL: When you're a JUNIOR SLEUTH, it pays off to make sure you can get grown-ups to do what you want them to. A few polite words, a smile, and perhaps a boost to their ego, and it's easy as cake. This CLASS MACHINATION lets you double your MOXIE STAT bonus when interacting with a NON-HOSTILE ADULT.

MARI BRIGHTON
[X] +5 NIMBLENESS
[X] MARINETTE RUINS THANKSGIVING: Sometimes, something cannot simply be shoved under the carpet and ignored forever. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to SEE AND TELL THE TRUTH WHEN IT MATTERS, even in situations where doing so is DIFFICULT or SCARY.

OWEN MARTINEZ
[X] +5 FISTICUFFS
[X] OHGODWHAT:
You talk so much, and so quickly, that people often have difficult telling what you're talking about unless they know you well. Usually, this is a problem, but if you're lucky enough, even the most irritating of problems can be a useful asset. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to communicate information to your PARTY MEMBERS without anybody else being able to UNDERSTAND it.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're feeling better.

[X] +5 VIGOR
[X] NOIR FOR NUMBNUTS: You can't see the future, that would be ridiculous - but if you know enough about the present, you can make an educated guess. That's what deduction's about! This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to figure out where somebody you are FOLLOWING is HEADED and PREDICT which path they've taken.

There's all of one non-hostile adult.

[X] +5 NIMBLENESS
[X] WELL, DOES IT DEFRACULATE?: You're an expert at fixing machines, and breaking something is basically just fixing it in reverse. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you make a GUMPTION CHECK in order to DISABLE ANY MACHINE that you're able to GET AT THE INNER MECHANISMS OF.

Mari already has an anti-fear effect, and seeing the truth is Lucy's schtick already.

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS
[X] OHGODWHAT: You talk so much, and so quickly, that people often have difficult telling what you're talking about unless they know you well. Usually, this is a problem, but if you're lucky enough, even the most irritating of problems can be a useful asset. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to communicate information to your PARTY MEMBERS without anybody else being able to UNDERSTAND it.

Eh, both are nice. I think we should pick OHGODWHAT because super-combat Mars is the most likely person for us to meet next; super-planning Sol would take agency away from the voters and it'd be hard to write a super-convincing Venus interacting with the rest of the cast.

Last edited:
[X] +5 GUMPTION
[X] NOIR FOR NUMBNUTS: You can't see the future, that would be ridiculous - but if you know enough about the present, you can make an educated guess. That's what deduction's about! This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to figure out where somebody you are FOLLOWING is HEADED and PREDICT which path they've taken.

[X] +5 GUMPTION
[X] WELL, DOES IT DEFRACULATE?: You're an expert at fixing machines, and breaking something is basically just fixing it in reverse. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you make a GUMPTION CHECK in order to DISABLE ANY MACHINE that you're able to GET AT THE INNER MECHANISMS OF.

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS
[X] THAT WAS A PRACTICE TURN: It takes a lot of luck to get a second chance. Fortunately, you've always been, as long as you can remember, inordinately lucky. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to REROLL your FIRST failed ATTACK or DEFENSE ROLL in any instance of COMBAT.

Kala.....you deserve so much........! I'm glad Lucy is best girl and treated you very politely.

[X] +5 VIGOR
LUCY NEEDS VIGOR, we need to cheer her up, like fast. It's a continuous effort. And yeah...there's like another non-hostile adult out there, but that's it??

[X] +5 NIMBLENESS
I need her to be more nimble after that mess. Please don't die Mari. Also, forward into her particles title and other tinkering!!

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS
[X] OHGODWHAT:
The talking thing seems useful even outside of fighting, just in general. CODE!!! And fisticuffs is because none of us are capable, so you can fill in while we still don't have a fighter, Owen~

[X] +5 GUMPTION

[X] +5 NIMBLENESS

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS
[X] THAT WAS A PRACTICE TURN: It takes a lot of luck to get a second chance. Fortunately, you've always been, as long as you can remember, inordinately lucky. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to REROLL your FIRST failed ATTACK or DEFENSE ROLL in any instance of COMBAT.

Last edited:
[x] Andelevion

Nice to finally meet Kala! I like the way you write her otherworldliness. And the way you write everyone for that matter. Lucy is adorable.

And if I haven't posted here before, hi. I'm delurking.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're feeling better.

[] +5 VIGOR
[] NOIR FOR NUMBNUTS: You can't see the future, that would be ridiculous - but if you know enough about the present, you can make an educated guess. That's what deduction's about! This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to figure out where somebody you are FOLLOWING is HEADED and PREDICT which path they've taken.

There's all of one non-hostile adult.

[] +5 NIMBLENESS
[] WELL, DOES IT DEFRACULATE?: You're an expert at fixing machines, and breaking something is basically just fixing it in reverse. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you make a GUMPTION CHECK in order to DISABLE ANY MACHINE that you're able to GET AT THE INNER MECHANISMS OF.

Mari already has an anti-fear effect, and seeing the truth is Lucy's schtick already.

[] +5 FISTICUFFS
[] OHGODWHAT:

Eh, both are nice. I think we should pick OHGODWHAT because super-combat Mars is the most likely person for us to meet next; super-planning Sol would take agency away from the voters and it'd be hard to write a super-convincing Venus interacting with the rest of the cast.
You forgot to put your Xs in

[X] +5 GUMPTION

[X] +5 GUMPTION

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS

[X] +5 VIGOR

[X] +5 NIMBLENESS

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS
[X] OHGODWHAT: You talk so much, and so quickly, that people often have difficult telling what you're talking about unless they know you well. Usually, this is a problem, but if you're lucky enough, even the most irritating of problems can be a useful asset. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to communicate information to your PARTY MEMBERS without anybody else being able to UNDERSTAND it.

So glad this is back. :)

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS

[X] +5 GUMPTION
[X] MARINETTE RUINS THANKSGIVING: Sometimes, something cannot simply be shoved under the carpet and ignored forever. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to SEE AND TELL THE TRUTH WHEN IT MATTERS, even in situations where doing so is DIFFICULT or SCARY.

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS

Last edited:
[X] +5 VIGOR

[X] +5 NIMBLENESS

I can't resist choosing an ability that makes Marinette even better at being snarky.

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS
[X] THAT WAS A PRACTICE TURN:
It takes a lot of luck to get a second chance. Fortunately, you've always been, as long as you can remember, inordinately lucky. This CLASS MACHINATION allows you to REROLL your FIRST failed ATTACK or DEFENSE ROLL in any instance of COMBAT.

[X] +5 VIGOR

[X] +5 NIMBLENESS

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS

[X] +5 VIGOR

[X] +5 NIMBLENESS

[X] +5 FISTICUFFS
[X] THAT WAS A PRACTICE TURN:

OHGODWHAT is amusing, but Owen is the only member we have that can fight. Better reinforce that.

Back