Life Ore Death - DC Feruchemy [Young Justice]

Old Wounds __ Episode 22
Life Ore Death
** Episode 22 __ [Old Wounds]

* October 22 [Wally PoV]

'Geeez, she's making us look bad here. Probably the guilt,' I guessed, since Renka had sorta snubbed Captain Atom while he was our resident babysitter of the week. On top of being busy handling Megalicious's celebrations when the good Captain arrived Sunday, and just not being in the Mountain for most of the week after that, she'd gone and spent her time in China.

I could care less other than hearing about her adventures, but Captain Atom was in active military service, and according to Rob he had been for a long time, meaning he might've had some lingering Red Scare, get-the-dirty-commies feelings still hanging around in his head.

On top of all of that, I hadn't gotten much out of her, but whatever report she filed with Batman about China really stirred the guy up, according to Rob. We weren't sure what or why because Rob hadn't had a chance to hack anything yet, but there was something… about misplacing a Justice League credit card? 'Geez. It isn't like Bruce Wayne couldn't take the losses, but between his Will Not Kill and Renka's uncomfortably big body count I bet she's not exactly his favorite person on even the best of days.'

So it was totes understandable that she was getting in some subtle sucking up to the good Captain Atom by hanging off his every word, asking questions, and taking copious notes on his boring-ass espionage lecture. 'Like Mr. Flying Nuke ever did much in the way of sneaking around under cover. We're the ones running covert missions here, we could probably teach you a thing or two.'

"I'm boring you, aren't I?" I perked up as the talk finally moved in a new direction.

'Yeah, and it only took me, Zee, Superboy… it only took half of us almost nodding off for you to figure it out. But, hey, this looks like it'll be more interesting.' We all listened more closely as he pulled up the bare bones of the case he was handing us.

"Your assignment: investigate. Prove Nathaniel Adams's innocence or reconfirm his guilt, and report back to me."

"Just to be clear," Zee asked quickly, rearranging some papers, "this is a genuine tip, not more busy work, right?"

"Yeah, Captain… I'm not sure if you've noticed," Rob observed nervously, "but our busy work assignments tend to be lacking in the aster a lot more than our regular stuff. We check up on the Tower of Fate and get Klarion the Witch Boy; we run background checks on some cryokinetics to kill time waiting for a jailbreak, only find multiple kidnappings and the League of Shadows; Batman sends us to India, and it turns out Brain is doing some freaky stuff at a lab to prepare for the Injustice League's plant plot; and let's not forget someone stopping a super-volcano by talking down the murderous, human-hating robot."

He gave a nod to Renka, who had a half-grin on her face at the mention. Our resident watcher just raised one eyebrow at us.

"You do all realize at least half that list were unassigned missions? Un-vetted operations you all took under your own initiative?"

We all shared an awkward look at Captain Atom's comment. 'Yeah, that probably would count as AWOL in the military, and Not OK.'

"Can you name a time we had a nice, simple, innocuous, easy mission that didn't go FUBAR?" I asked instead, hoping for back-up.

"Wally is right – gag," Artemis commented. I stuck my tongue out at her. "Captain, sir, if this is a genuine tip, and if it's right, that means Nate Adams was framed: that means a guy who we know is willing to murder will want to shut us up fast when we go poking around."

"We'll still do it either way!" Megalicious was quick to insert when Captain Atom started frowning.

"Yeah, I mean, a couple of times Batman has sent me to spend half an hour or two gathering evidence from rooftops or even near-empty parking lots while he tried to chase down Catwoman, and I still do those missions as seriously as any other." I wasn't the only member of the Team to nearly choke. 'I guess Rob still hasn't run into the wonders of puberty and girls yet, or he hasn't looked back at that through those lenses at least. Between Bats getting it on and the "Brucie" reputation, how has that penny not dropped yet?' "This is way better than that."

Unfortunately, it didn't look like Captain Atom thought this was the highest of compliments, because he was still frowning.

"You nearly fall asleep during my talk, and now you want me to talk more?" he asked skeptically. "Or do you just want to put the work off?"

'Agh, damage control, damage control!' I thought furiously at Renka, then Miss M, but apparently her telepathic link wasn't up at all at the moment. I still tried to get it across with my eyes, but Renka just raised one grouchy eyebrow right back at me.

'Right then,' I resolved, 'looks like its time to see what I've learned from Miss Socialization Super-Powers and turn on the bull.'

"You give a great lecture, Captain Atom sir," I babbled, and I caught onto a thought from before I could reuse. "It's not that this is boring, it's that this stuff is old for us. Like multiplication tables!" I burst out because I needed something inane while I waited for a brain-blast.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, I mean, I don't know everything the League does, but I'd bet my weekly snack budget that we've been on more covert operations than you have in the past six months, sir. You were giving us an interesting talk that we already had from Batman before we hit Santa Prisca, and he repeated it before Bialya, and-," 'Don't call me on this, just let me put it ambiguously…' "-it got brought up when we were flying to India with Captain Marvel, and we heard stuff about this from Hawkman and Hawkwoman when they were leading us out. Now the case is new stuff, stuff we want and need," I emphasized, biting back panic because he still did not look super-happy to me, "to hear more about, and you obviously know a lot more about it than you're giving us, sir." 'Megalicious, please put the link up so I can ask someone to help me.'

Beat of silence.

Freaky beat of silence.

"Kid Flash-," I heaved a relieved sigh and slumped back as Kal – wonderful guy that he is – picked up the slack in the conversation. "-has spoken truly, if not succinctly, Captain. For a case in this country, there should be court records to peruse, and you would not have suggested it if you did not already know the situation well. I do not wish to send the Team on a mission with so little information-," I glanced back at the three-paragraph bio beside the photo. Only the last part mentioned the court case, the presiding judge, and the lawyers. 'Oh, did he just nudge Miss M? Smooth, Kaldur.' "-when there are superior sources available, such as yourself and your personal experience."

[Team, perk up and pay attention: treat the subject matter as immediately vital,] Kal ordered over the mind link Megalicious threw up.

[I'm writing down everything that sticks out on the bio, if only to make sure it looks like we're paying extra close attention,] I affirmed.

[And pay attention,] Kal scolded, [because we will treat this as a serious mission. Take notes on the screen he just opened as well.]

[The Captain Atom does not have powers of telepathy and is not, I think, listening, yes?] Renka checked.

[No, and I haven't included him. Why?] Miss M asked, and when Ferris wouldn't I just tossed out an answer instead.

[No worries.] I bit back my flirting instinct because she was dating Conner now, and, [Don't think about that while the link is up, Wally. Ferris is just getting her head in the game and brainstorming all the ways things could be going wrong.]

"Well, if that's how it is." I couldn't really read Captain Atom's face, but I thought he looked a bit embarrassed when we all started scribbling down stuff from the new page on the court case he opened. "Nathaniel Adams worked in Air Force Intelligence and investigations, and was posted in Vietnam during the war. He would have been decorated four times, the last of which… he never received. Hill four-oh-nine occurred almost immediately before the case in question, and was arguably the catalyst for those events."

[Does anyone have a question to show we're paying attention?] I asked.

[Does anyone else hear anything odd in his tone of voice?] Renka asked.

[Maybe, but that's not the type of question I was asking about,] I returned, but I started paying closer attention, too.

"How legitimate were the first three?" Artemis asked. "Is it possible he was framed out of jealousy? Or if he was guilty-,"

"The decorations were all entirely legitimate," Captain Atom snapped. I winced and, despite myself, mentally reached out to her.

[Don't worry about it, Artemis; you're taking one for the team, but I can say something stupid if you want him off your back.]

[Thanks, but no thanks. Just take this seriously, Wally,] she sent back.

"Adams," Captain Atom continued, "tracked supplies movements and requests, reports of weapons taken from enemy combatants, and other information that led him to suspect the existence of a weapons smuggling ring. He did not have enough evidence for court at the point he confided in General Lemar; he brought the matter up with Lemar in personal confidence, in the hopes other men might have reported the same thing, and we could pool our evidence to get the ba- the men responsible." He faked an awkward cough.

"General Lemar was murdered, yes?" Renka checked quickly, circling something in her notes.

"Yes, he was the victim. The murder victim, that is. General Lemar claimed he had some corroborating evidence from a Central Intelligence agent that some kind of drop was happening at Hill four-oh-nine. Now that they knew what was being dropped, and who was buying it, they had enough evidence to send in a team and clean it all up. Adams's team, in fact: Lemar said it would be a good feather in his cap to drag this all out into the clean light of day. Adams took his squad to the hill, and they walked into an ambush."

"Adams was the only survivor?" Renka inquired.

"No, there was another man, Henry Yarrow. Everyone else, Michael Hart, Anthony Forest… half-a-dozen good men died that day to cover the crimes of that-," Captain Atom stopped and took a calming breath. "Yarrow and Adams made it out alive, but wounded, and with confirmation that a drop of some sort had been arranged at that location, only for it to change later. The only- Adams realized that the only way it was possible was if Lemar was involved in the ring and arrange the ambush to silence the discovery. He ignored Yarrow's arguments to the contrary and pleas to let our Internal Intelligence sort the matter out; for his friends' lives, he confronted Lemar in person."

"How long after the ambush did he confront Lemar?" Rob asked. "Was there enough time to begin looking into everything?"

"No… It was less than three days, and Lemar was the primary connection to other intelligence services at the camp. Adams worried that giving Lemar more time would allow him to cover his tracks, and potentially silence his friend Yarrow alongside Adams as well. Minutes into the confrontation, Adams blacked out. The only sensible explanation would have been if he were drugged, which he claimed. Yes?"

"Is it possible there was a telepath who could have wiped his memories, or altered them?" Miss M wondered.

Captain Atom hesitated. "Telepathy was less common those years ago than it is today, and… it might explain… there was no reason to believe it was a telepath," he said carefully. "Certain drugs leave recognizable fogginess or aftertastes, and Adams claimed he recognized it; intelligence officers are exposed to a set of drugs as part of their training, to teach them to recognize the effects. It also meant they had…."

The pause stretched on a bit too long. "The trial files mention a knife," Rob prompted. "Was there any blood on Adams? Did the blood spray indicate Lemar had struggled or was it concurrent with Lemar being knifed while unconscious?" Captain Atom shook his head.

"I did not see records of the crime scene in great detail, or for very long: consider it another matter for you to investigate. Adams claimed he had been awake for less than ten seconds when Polk – the arresting officer, Military Police Enos Polk – burst through the door to investigate a commotion that Adams had not made. There was no blood on Adams's hands or uniform, I remember that was argued by the defense, but the murder weapon was Adams's service knife, with his fingerprints on it. The medical examiner reported that Adams's system had no signs of drugs, which conflicted with his report of blacking out – unless a telepath was involved," he said with a nod to Miss Em.

"So maybe the medical examiner was in on it and rigged the results, or maybe she didn't have the tests to recognize the knockout gas if it was something state-of-the-art or classified, or maybe Adams was tested after it had cleared out of his system," Rob summarized.

"What did the autopsy say?" Artemis asked. "Were there any drugs in Lemar's system? Who ran those tests?"

"The autopsy reports mostly focused on Lemar's wound and matching the service knife to it. You will need to investigate the rest of those matters on your own time." Captain Atom shook his head distantly. "Colonel Wade Eiling – he's a general now, went on to marry Adams's widow and was by all accounts a good father for his two children – he found Adams guilty in the face of overwhelming evidence. Yarrow was, is a great man, took up arguing the defense despite everything. I'm hoping this tip works out to give him some closure about it."

"Sentenced to life in prison, Adams took his own life less than a year later," Rob finished, reading off the bio.

"Hey. Took his own life, or was he silenced?" Conner asked, which got my suspicions up too.

"Yeah, it could be that if Adams stuck around, he might have petitioned hard enough to get the case re-opened without whoever stacked the trial against him," I agreed. "What do we know about his death, was it really suicide?"

"You don't need to get suspicious of Adams's death; the details are classified higher than I can condone you looking into," Captain Atom said just a little too quickly. It struck me as sort of silly because he already had us covertly looking into it. "That is the case as it stands."

"Robin, please find the current locations for everyone connected to Nathaniel Adams," Kal said. Captain Atom nodded and stepped back, half of us watching him go. 'Looks like he's leaving the rest of it to us. Which means…' "Everyone in the trial, his surviving family-,"

<Recognized: Captain Atom, one two. >

"-and the people who reported his death and performed his autopsy," Kal finished firmly. I wasn't the only one grinning.

[Honestly, you think they'd have learned that waving this stuff in front of our nose is like an invitation. We always get more than they ever bargain for. Off the top of my head: arresting officer, medical examiner, and check if the prosecutor was a knife expert or what. My uncle is a criminal forensic investigator pathologist type of guy, so I know people need some special training for matching weapons,] I volunteered.

[I'm already working on it,] Rob confirmed.

[Your uncle… So is this the same uncle who is Flash's secret identity, or do you have more than one?] Artemis teased.

[Ah, crap. Forget I said that?]

[Consider it forgotten, Kid. By all of us,] Kaldur insisted, and I sighed in relief as everyone else agreed.

[Right, right, you know I wouldn't do anything with it. But y'know, you could've just lied,] she pointed out snidely.

[Who wants to have to lie to their friends? I know Rob feels guilty enough as it is,] I countered, then I felt guilty because I knew he did.

"Okay," Rob announced sharply at that, signaling we should all switch back to thinking out loud. Or talking that way, at least. "Wade Eiling, Randal Eiling, Peggy Eiling, Enos Polk, Shirley Mason, and Henry Yarrow all have current addresses and contact information I can access, I'm putting a list together to send to your phones right now. Angela Eiling is deceased, liver failure according to the records, and man is Nate Adams's death record tied up tight. He wasn't kidding about classified. Aaand Kevin Blankly died of… lung cancer two decades back."

"We will divide into three groups, and each group will approach two targets," Kaldur announced, pulling up a holographic list. "We will begin with the three high-priority targets-," Polk, General Eiling, and Mason all got moved to the top. "-and then a low-priority target, followed by a check-in, unless there is an emergency."

"If we're going to be dividing this up so that someone with interrogation skills is on each team, you might want to add me to that list," Zee volunteered, which got our attention. "Going into someone's mind is a no for me, but even though my truth spells would be way weaker than Wonder Woman's Lasso, I could do a solid one if the circumstances were right."

"What would you need?" I asked. I canned my instinctive follow-up of wondering whether she wanted toad's feet and hen's teeth.

Me, Zee, and Renka had done enough work together that I took her powers very seriously, even if I still didn't like the word magic.

"Ingredients like incense could be useful, but mostly they'd have to want to tell the truth on a high- or low-enough level," she explained. "Everyone hates the Joker, even the other Gotham criminals, right?"

"Most of them, yeah. I'm not sure what happened that got Ivy working with him that long; but I don't know that much about them."

"Thank you, Robin." She smiled and he blushed. "That means that even though Riddler or Penguin hate us, and I could never get them to talk about where they'd stashed their loot, I could do a, 'Blurt out Joker's true location' spell, and they'd talk because they'd want to screw his plans over. Even if they'd usually choose not to because they hate us more, they'd want to talk enough that I could pull it out."

"I see. Atlantis does have minor truth spells on its curriculum," Kal admitted, "but they are difficult, and time-consuming to prepare. I would not have used one myself, but this will be a valuable addition to our options. Robin, Miss Martian, and Zatanna can seek out the answers."

"Eh, sorry to whelm you," Rob pointed out, "but most of my experience involves terrifying criminals. Not stuff we can use on people who might be innocent, and especially not if we want this to stay covert. I'm good at reading people. I could still look for tells and sneak."

"I see. Do we have opinions on who might have the least disciplined mind, or who would want to talk for Zatanna's spells to take effect?"

I had an idea. "Maybe I'm just being a bit sexist," I started off, "but if Shirley Mason isn't a total sociopath, then she's probably the one. Most people take up medicine, especially in wartime, because they want to heal, right? Maybe she went along willingly, cackling the whole way, but if she got pressured or blackmailed, bringing this up will probably have her wanting to unburden her spirit, you know?"

"If I go in disguise – since we're doing this covertly – I can telepathically skim the top of Mister Polk's memories when I ask him about finding the scene and I can tell if he was in on it, or if there really was a disturbance and he found Adams with the knife in his hand."

"Huh… I think Eiling isn't worth trying that on," Conner agreed, and I glanced away when I saw he'd covered her hand in his, because it still hurt a little to see them do that. "He wouldn't need to be involved if everyone else had the evidence stacked."

"If we are going to be covert, then we will need people on each team who can ask questions without being overt," Renka observed, and we all started paying attention when we saw her hair going gray. "The soldier men should like strong and determined young men, yes? Artemis and Zatanna can be my aides when I, as a peer and fellow from the same war, ask Mason about the trial of Mister Adams, because he saved my life and I hope to clear his name to his children before I die." She gave a wide, wrinkly smile. 'Huh? Where did her teeth go? Cool.'

"Ferris and Zatanna, yes, and you may use whichever approach you desire," Kal told them. "Kid Flash will be your third member."

"I'm good with that," I declared, stomping down my pout about not being on a team with Megalicious, since Superboy, etc.

"You are Beta Squad. Robin and Superboy will assist Miss Martian's investigation of Eiling as Gamma Squad."

"You and me are on Alpha Squad and Polk? Sounds like a plan," Artemis assessed.

"Yes, and then we will speak with the Randal Eiling, Beta Squad will speak with Peggy Eiling, and Gamma Squad will seek out Henry Yarrow. We will call ahead." Kal gave his outfit an exaggerated lookover. "I will require the location of an Army Surplus store."

Of course, the plan went through a few modifications when it turned out the siblings were living less than an hour's traveling apart in Hawaii, and it was harder to get an interview with an active general than expected, but hey, we did our best to cope.

On top of all of that, I hadn't gotten much out of her, but whatever report she filed with Batman about China really stirred the guy up, according to Rob.
Yeah I'm having a hard time guessing how bats would react. Leaking Justice League card could be bad however this is also this guy.

And even if he has a hard time with emotions that's very different from not being compassionate.
He might be more annoyed at the whole Sportsmaster thing, or the numerous deaths. Yeah probably the latter, unless Renka didn't tell him.

Yeah I'm having a hard time guessing how bats would react.
And even if he has a hard time with emotions that's very different from not being compassionate.
He might be more annoyed at the whole Sportsmaster thing, or the numerous deaths. Yeah probably the latter, unless Renka didn't tell him.
With Renka, I don't believe she was planning to say anything. If she had Batman would probably have been upset she left the gip, or otherwise take time to find someone to look after her than anything else.

* story update coming in a few more hours.

If it can't affect silicon chips, it can't affect, say, sandstone, and a lot of other stones. I'm not terribly familiar with Mistborn, but were things etched in stone also affected? Something sketched in sand?

Curiously, hard drives use metal plates (unless it's a laptop or an SSD), so it wouldn't erase information from those, although information would need to go through an awful lot of chips to get there or to get out of there and into a screen for someone to read.
Once Ruin changed writing that was drawn on the ground, but that was either in the dirt or in volcanic ash, neither of which I'm sure about the chemical compositions that make them. Also, rearranging loose materials might be simpler/different than altering rigid substances.

Most writing is ink stuck/dried to paper, or carbon/graphite stuck on paper, which can be smudged even without magic, and it's not a big stretch to guess moving that around is a little easier than reshaping solid stone/metal.

Talking of screens, then, there's also the question of whether Ruin's power would change what was shown on the screen, vs changing the data that was the source.

i.e. If Ruin wanted to edit an image/movie being projected, would it alter the film itself, or just the light pattern shone onto the big screen? We saw it was able to alter the charcoal rubbings of words engraved in metal, if not the metal words themselves...

Don't know what to say about this.
I think Renka's at her best when she's doing little personal things followed by when she's debating and finally when she's actually in a fight.
I'll take it as a compliment. You're going to get other modes of Renka interaction added to that list eventually, but it'll be a while before we see much more of experiment!Renka or even instructor!Renka, let alone any of her other things she's going to do.

I really enjoyed that. The detail in her attempts to help the kid. Still hoping she just follows Renka home though.
Following Renka home would require Cass to hitch a ride on Renka's Great Ten provided transportation to the Zeta Tube, and then somehow be authorized to get through the Zeta Tube.

China has no reason to let a child, especially an orphaned minor who they suspect may be a meta-human (China treats them as human resources, albeit treating them well as human resources), leave the country. Cass has no documentation, so they're assuming she's a Chinese citizen, and they want to keep her (which Cass saw in them, and was part of the reason she ran off and refused to go back).

Adding in the details was interesting to me, because I had to actually think about "how could she handle this situation, and what could she arrange with the time and materials she has?" Images are something (I assume) Cass can understand, even if she doesn't do language, so those and all the on-your-own resources Renka could arrange were the answer.
With Renka, I don't believe she was planning to say anything. If she had Batman would probably have been upset she left the gip, or otherwise take time to find someone to look after her than anything else.
No, she said pretty much everything. She didn't go into the gory details of exactly who she killed and how, but she reported her activities (attacked a human-trafficking ship with GFK, worked with Red Arrow, walked into Sportsmaster's whatever-that-was), and the general results of how many people died and how many were arrested and how many were saved in each encounter.

I have to ask, what do you mean by "upset she left the gip"? My guess is you meant "the girl" [Cass]. If so, Batman knows that Renka could not have feasibly brought Cass out of China for the reasons mentioned above.

Renka would have argued that - as Cass had already run away from state social services - giving her the resources to survive more safely on her own and arranging for them to be able to find her again in the future (through tracking the card) was the best of the bad options and offered to listen/make amends/obey if Batman had a better suggestion.

If you (or any reader, it's open season) can argue for a better suggestion, I'll happily write in a scene/omake of Renka and Batman having this argument, but I can't think of a viable option he would offer that she wouldn't refute.

I don't want to write her winning that argument when I think Batman is smart enough to agree & not argue it in the first place.

Batman is smarter & more experienced in most things than Renka, but she is smart enough they'll usually agree or come to a compromise on any question of pragmatism/practicality; it's primarily their moral opinions/priorities that differ. As such, I refuse to play down his intelligence & abilities for the sake of making Renka look better when she respects and usually will listen to him on these things.

Cool, I'm glad to be of help, Oblo.

I feel it's a good thing when someone gets to make use of my DC trivia, I've yet to bring myself to write a real story and make use of it myself, after all.
Fans exchanging trivia and ideas is one of the driving forces of fanfiction, and often leads to awesome.

If you do ever write a story I would love to edit/Beta it with/for you. It wouldn't be my first, and I hope my track record in keeping up with this story speaks for itself on my resume. I also have some experience composing original fiction. I'm happy to talk inspiration with anyone at any time; I don't have a lot of IRL friends into these things.

Heads up, though: I'm counting on you to keep track of your cookie and what you want to use it on, because I've handed out a few of these before and people mostly just seem to ignore them, so I'm no longer keeping track. I am serious about giving you an answer to about any question, or letting you request a scene or an omake or whatever, but if you never use it then that's just less work for me.

Yeah I'm having a hard time guessing how bats would react. Leaking Justice League card could be bad however this is also this guy.

[EDIT: Death of Ace youtube video in the original above]

As I mentioned above, she told him pretty much everything. If Robin or KF had pulled this, he probably would have thrown a BatFit, but that's because Robin or KF would have tried to be sneaky about it and not say anything. Renka was extremely upfront, as in she arrived back, asked to talk to him about her report, and explained the whole thing of her own accord right off the bat (pardon the pun).

The Justice League card is nothing to worry about, because there are withdrawal limits in case (BatParanoia) they get stolen. In the real world it's easy enough to cancel a card, let alone what they pull off with DC tech.

His main worry is that the card would make her a target if anyone wanted to steal it for the money, but 1) the unknown girl has shown significant ability in self-defense, and 2) anyone who would target a pre-adolescent girl for criminal activity would probably do that regardless of however much or little money she had.

Me figuring out how to portray Batman's emotions is an interesting process, and I wish I had occasion to put him into the story more often. Synthesizing all of the aspects of his characterization is entertainment in itself.
(When I go through the Ten Truths for all the Team, or even before, would you guys want me to do similar things for the JL as well?)

Fun Fact __ Ace exists, Earth-16 has already had its equivalent of Wild Cards occur, and Ace is still alive. There were common-sense differences between Earth-16 & the JLAU episode, obviously - the different founding 7, Hawkwoman is happily married to Hawkman, Harley Quinn hasn't gone criminally crazy yet, and Ace was "trained" by the Earth-16 version of S.H.A.D.E. rather than Cadmus - but until it becomes plot-pertinent you can assume the general events of 'Joker, Royal Flush Gang, bombs in Vegas, etc.,' were all similar enough.

...I'm now thinking of making a little Timeline to stick in Informational Threadmarks that just includes a list of well-known JL events and when/whether they happened, just so I can outline what all you can expect.

Anyone think it's a good idea? If so, does anyone want to suggest plots they want me to cover? (Warning: It might involve me just saying, "no, that didn't/won't happen in Earth-16," but I need to know a possible plot arc exists before I can approve of or reject incorporating it.)

I'll take it as a compliment. You're going to get other modes of Renka interaction added to that list eventually, but it'll be a while before we see much more of experiment!Renka or even instructor!Renka, let alone any of her other things she's going to do.
It was observation more than critique, and possibly personal bias.
When I said she is at her best doing the little things though that's about character interaction and the chance for Renka to show she really does care. Its like the All Star Superman scene where Supes just stops off to talk that girl off the roof.
If you (or any reader, it's open season) can argue for a better suggestion, I'll happily write in a scene/omake of Renka and Batman having this argument, but I can't think of a viable option he would offer that she wouldn't refute.
What she needed was some kind of communicator, the fact that she can't speak kinda puts a dent in that however as does the fact that she can't read and write. Which leaves the ideal solution to be giving her one of those star wars walking hologram projectors. This thingy
(When I go through the Ten Truths for all the Team, or even before, would you guys want me to do similar things for the JL as well?)

Anyone think it's a good idea? If so, does anyone want to suggest plots they want me to cover? (Warning: It might involve me just saying, "no, that didn't/won't happen in Earth-16," but I need to know a possible plot arc exists before I can approve of or reject incorporating it.)
Yes on both accounts, whats great about these informational posts is the light they shed on how you've developed the world. I'd happily take ten facts about some random gangster who's been arrested at least once by each of the founding team on separate occasions.

If so, does anyone want to suggest plots they want me to cover? (Warning: It might involve me just saying, "no, that didn't/won't happen in Earth-16," but I need to know a possible plot arc exists before I can approve of or reject incorporating it.)

Hmm, no justice league storylines spring to mind, a Superman one does- The Sandman Saga.

Why? Because of the Sand Superman. It permanently absorbed some of Superman's powers.

By Future's End, post flashpoint, Quarmer has learned to give as well as take Superman's powers.

Mugging victims getting superstrength, abuse victims gaining invulnerability, jumpers gaining flight, etc.

So basically an investiture like system for Kryptonian powers.

I imagine Renka would find that quite interesting.

Once Ruin changed writing that was drawn on the ground, but that was either in the dirt or in volcanic ash, neither of which I'm sure about the chemical compositions that make them.
Dirt is mostly decomposed organic matter combined with a parent rock which weathers into dirt- quartz, calcite, feldspar, or mica (all but calcite contain silica, and quartz is basically silica). Volcanic ash is made up of rock, minerals, and glass- it's mostly silicate... which I guess answers our question.

Old Wounds - part 2
Life Ore Death
* October 23 [Artemis PoV]

"You sure we couldn't have swapped with M'gann?" I muttered as we walked up to Polk's front door in the chill of the early morning. 'Okay, so I've had to get up this early and be out in this cold for Dad's training before. Sportsmaster's training. Doesn't mean I have to like it.' I huffed a little harder, and huddled into my own jacket as I watched my breath fog. Of course Kaldur was fine; his problem was heat.

"With the timing of General Eiling's meeting, and the possibility of tipping off any interested parties, we must take the times available," he replied, which sure I knew but it didn't make me feel any better.

"Still, if we think something is fishy we can have M'gann come back here while he sleeps, right?" Telepathy was easier during sleep.

The experiments to establish and confirm that fact had been interesting, and I for one wanted to put our suffering for SCIENCE to good use.

Aqualad smirked. "As the saying goes, 'great minds think alike'." I mentally pumped my fist at that. 'We have a solid plan, great.'

We rang the doorbell.

"Coming, I'm coming," a man's voice called. Enos Polk opened the door and offered us a tired smile. "If I weren't going out of town, I'd have known better than to schedule something at this godforsaken hour," the old man commented. "Come on in. You lot are the ones doing that paper on court martials over the past century? Payton and Lemelin?"

"Yes sir," I greeted, giving him a nod as we stepped in. Since we'd had the night to prepare, Aqualad and I had tightened up our story by looking up, printing out, and reading through transcripts and cases of court martials and military tribunals over a couple of decades. I had the papers with some reference details to Polk's career and other cover things, if we needed them.

'Not sure whether I want him to be involved so we can kick his teeth in and turn him in, or innocent.' I flicked through my mental files again.

We didn't start talking immediately about the case with Nathaniel Adams; Polk had been involved in a later case that got a lot more attention at the time, and that had struck us as a good way to segue into talking about Adams.

"That was a long time, but yeah… I remember Adams," he muttered when we raised the name and produced the sparse amount of publicly available information on what had happened.

"Was it a shock, coming into the room and finding General Lemar's body?" I asked.

"Yeah, I-," He gave us a shifty look. "I don't think it would have been in the records – I really didn't want to talk about it at the time, I was ashamed – but the general was still alive when I entered." The two of us didn't share a significant look, because it was an obvious tell, but....

"He was, sir? The report says you found his body, killed by a stab to the heart," Aqualad inquired clinically.

"Yeah, but Hollywood gets it wrong, that isn't an immediately lethal wound. Have either of you ever seen death in person?"

"A rocket hit a tank near the border between Qurac and Bialya," I recalled, rephrasing what I'd seen Ferris do there to pass muster.

"On a few occasions," Aqualad deferred calmly.

"Well, Adams had overpowered Lemar and stabbed him not ten seconds before I burst in. Heart wounds are lethal because-?"

"They stop blood flow, including to the brain, as well as massive blood loss," I recited to his prompt. "The brain becomes starved of oxygen, on top of most people entering shock when it happens."

"Yeah, well, Lemar was made of tougher stuff. Not sure if he was trying to fight or not, but he was still flailing when I entered. I tackled Adams to stop him from stabbing the general again, and I called for help, but the general breathed his last while I was still trying to subdue Adams. I've always regretted not being faster. Maybe I should'a let Adams run and tried to do a triage; I've always wondered."

"With a thrust to the heart, General Lemar likely would have died even if he had been in a hospital when it occurred. You ensured that his killer would face justice," Aqualad volunteered stolidly.

"Was it… I've only ever seen a cut throat before." The words slipped out while I was too busy suppressing images of that room in Thailand and the knife Da- Sportsmaster had handed me to use, and all the blood and the look in that man's eyes. "Was it bloody?"

"Soaked his shirt." That was all Polk had to say on the matter. He took a long drag from the cigarette he'd been nursing for a bit.

"It was mentioned that the knife played an important role in the trial," Aqualad prompted curiously. There wasn't a lot of publically available information we should have known, but it was unlikely Polk would catch anything wrong unless he was involved and paranoid.

"Bones. A knife, even service steel, s'meant to cut flesh, not bone." Polk turned his head, so we didn't get the full blast of his smoke in our faces. Aqualad tried to suppress a cough, but couldn't quite. "Kev' showed off how the knife got bent a bit when it scraped the ribs, proved it was specific'ly the murder weapon. Went on-and-on about how it would'a been smarter if Adams had cut the general's throat fer years after. I say it was good he went for the chest, Adams must'a been skilled and strong to even try it, and it let'm prove the knife did it."

My eyes narrowed slightly. 'Bingo. He used a nickname for Blankly even twenty years after the man's death, so they were close in personal life even though their professional dossiers don't show their paths crossing much outside of this trial. So Polk, if he used the knife, felt defensive about the slur on his kill and his skills and this is dredging it back up. We'll definitely be coming back later.'

My hand strayed toward where I had a combat knife concealed up my sleeve, wondering if anything was going to happen.

Especially since it was past time to ask the question we'd originally came here to have answered.

"What was the noise that got your attention, when you heard the fight?" I asked.

"Eh? Well, the fact there was any fighting and yelling going on in the general's office. Adams had barged in to make his kill; I was… going to General Lemar to make a report he'd asked for, and I heard the noise coming up the hall." That... did not fit with what we'd read.

'In his sealed testimony, Polk said he'd heard the chair hitting the ground, but no yelling, and he was on a patrol, not making a report.'

"What was Adams yelling?" I asked. "I mean, I'm guessing it was something like-,"

"Like, 'you bastard, I'll kill you'?" Polk suggested with a laugh. "No, I heard some yelled… oh, the noises you make, not actual words." He waved his hand dismissively, and his hand was definitely shaking a bit while he bought some time with another long drag on his cigarette.

'He might just be old, but I doubt it. I think he's forgotten the story he's made up.' I risked a glance at Aqualad. He nodded slightly.

The phone rang.

"'scuse me, I should get this. 'llo? Hey, Henry, what's-?" 'Shit! Like Henry Yarrow? Now… if General Eiling wasn't very talkative Miss Martian might have had time to finish with him by now and gone to talk to Yarrow. This is bad.' I shared another look with Aqualad and got a slight frown in reply. I'd just have to follow his lead, but I was ready to move if Polk drew a gun. "Eh, really? That's… oh. Look, let me just- I've got some guests, doing a report on some old cases interviewing me right now. I'll explain to them and head over soon. Stay safe." He hung up.

"A problem, sir?" Aqualad asked. 'Looks like we're still playing innocent," I assessed. 'That look in Polk's eyes… He knows we know he knows.'

"Yeaahhhh…" he drawled slowly. One heavy sigh and a swipe of his bangs later, Enos Polk looked every inch the tired old man again. "My nephew… Rupert, his ma was from jolly old England and it's her dad's name, but his son Henry is in the hospital with a broken leg. He just called to ask to see me. I'm going to have to drive over, maybe we can reschedule?" I knew Enos Polk was an unmarried only child. 'Bingo.'

"Certainly, sir," Aqualad agreed, rising to his feet. I followed. "I hope your family pulls together through this trial."

We left without a fight, and staked out the house instead. Polk didn't leave immediately, he spent a while pacing and muttering furiously and packing things, but we were hoping we would lead us to his compatriots when he ran. We could tell already: it was going to be big.

The Mook Who Met Them All
I'd happily take ten facts about some random gangster who's been arrested at least once by each of the founding team on separate occasions.

The Mook Who Met Them All

0) Freddie "Pitbull" Falcon (not Falcone, no relation to the mob family) never thought himself tough stuff. Gotham-born and -bred, he got his nickname for his face, and his hands tended to twitch under stress, so he tried to avoid anything with a trigger. His one redeeming feature in the underworld was his willingness to take the fall for anything.

He'd be picked up near the scene of the crime, and be interrogated over and over for hours as he poured out his story of being involved, only for the actual investigation to turn up so little evidence of his guilt that not even the corrupt Gotham cops could get him found guilty; he was just so pathetic that every jury assumed he was harassed into falsely confessing, and he walked free every time.

He also, although he'd never know it, had the unusual privilege of encountering every founding member of the Justice League.​

1) In 1997, a year before Superman appeared and 2 years before the beginnings of the Bat, Freddie found himself strapped for cash with a loan shark breathing down his neck. He decided to try mugging his first guy; lacking a gun, because he knew how bad his hands were, Freddie just tried to suggest it with his hand in his pocket.

What he was thinking when he tried to target an athletic 19-year-old fresh off an inter-city, the world will never know. Even Freddie himself no longer knows, because he woke up eight hours later in a dumpster with one heck of a concussion. (Even in his studies abroad, Bruce Wayne tried to return home once a year, so everyone was assured he was alive.)​

2) With all his debts unpaid, and losing only a pound of flesh being an optimistic outcome if he was caught, Freddie decided to get out while the getting was good. He skipped town to Chicago, chewing at his fingernails all the way, and ended up without a dollar to his name in the beginning. About two weeks into his life on the streets, he got his hands on a gun.

Freddie wanted to eat, and he tried holding up a few people, but he always kept it empty and he chickened out a number of times. Finally, when winter was setting in and he was worried he would freeze, Freddie went for broke and held up a large, well dressed man in an alley. "P-p-please, man, j-just gimme your wallet. You ain't gonna miss what's innit! I- I- don' wanna hafta hurt ya!"

"...No, you don't," the man observed, sounding surprised. Then, "You're very hungry, aren't you?" He held open his wallet, and Freddie whined in terror, the image of the shiny badge burned into his mind. He dropped the gun. "I'll tell you what, Mr. Falcon," the man offered amicably. "I will buy your illegal firearm - you don't want it, I can tell - and I will pay you $1,000 if you never do this again." Freddie just ran, and curled up under a bridge. But he woke up with his worries faded, with $1,000 in a pocket, and with the idea that he had better go somewhere else for a cleaner break. J'onn J'onnz just smiled, and wished him well.​

3) Freddie found himself in Metropolis, and he almost started to turn his life around. At the very least, he found himself an old friend who knew of his distracting abilities, and was vaguely offered money to be around a certain bank at a certain time, looking shifty. An alarm sounded, and then something smashed through a wall, and that's when everything went wrong.

As with a number of important things in his life, Freddie isn't quite sure how he ended up standing over another thug's body, pointing the guy's stolen gun at a man with his underwear on the outside. "I- I- don't wanna hurt you! Just put your hands up and wait for the cops to arrive!" He can't even remember what the other guy said - something about waiting for the cops, something, something - but the caped man looked embarrassed when Freddie added, "I- I- don' need to know who you are! You're the guy who threw Mickey's brother through a window!"

The man looked abashed, examining the strewn out, unconscious bodies of the criminals... and seeing something off, he took half a step forward. Freddie pulled the trigger, once, and broke out crying. And so he became the first man to shoot Superman.​

4) Bank cameras showed that Freddie had run in from outside, and the police investigation, of course, turned up nothing to suggest he was involved with the other criminals, so he was let off with some kind of warning (in one ear and out the other). Freddie got the hell away from there, and ended up at a shelter in... somewhere. He was rooming with a guy and working a steady job at a grocery up through the first half of 1999, and even got himself a sort of girlfriend.

Then his roommate got arrested for distributing, and Freddie got brought in under suspicion and for resisting arrest. The broken leg was an actual accident, and the much less corrupt Central City Police treated him pretty well. After he got cleared, he spent his hospital time rooming with some charismatic blond guy who'd been in a chemical explosion. They had a month of time to talk, and Barry gave Freddie a new lease on life, and a feeling of faith in the idea that good things could happen.​

5) A few criminals had started an exodus from Gotham in early 2000, and a guy who recognized Freddie found him in Central, talking about bills to pay. His girlfriend (not exactly not a criminal either, but more on the down-low about it) arranged a job for him in the Big Apple with an associate; Freddie worked as a legitimate package delivery guy for cover, and a delivery guy who asked no questions under the table.

He found himself with a strong feeling of deja vu when, walking away from a job at night, he encountered a beautiful blonde woman walking alone in an alley. His hands had been shaking less, and he now had a gun (legally owned and licensed, even) in his possession, even if it was unloaded. He made a choice. "M-ma'am? This is gang territory, it really isn't safe to be here."

She gave him the oddest look, not at all worried, but offered the address she was trying to get to; it was a ways, and through an unsafe area. She tensed when Freddie drew his gun, and then hesitated when he held it out. "H-here. It- it isn' loaded, but walk with it visible and we'll have less trouble." She laughed, took her hand from the pocket of her concealing overcoat, and followed him. Luck was not on their side, and they walked into a dozen guys from a different gang looking for trouble. Freddie tried to talk them out of it.

*fweeeeeeeeee!* The woman blew a whistle, and Freddie jumped in front of her when they opened fire. He ended up bleeding on the ground as she fought off a bunch of them with a sword of all things. When the beautiful black-haired woman dropped from the sky, he decided he was hallucinating. "Eumera, are you uninjured?"

"I'm fine, your highness, the plan worked well, but if you could fly him to the hospital-? I thought he would try to mug me, or be in on it... I confess, it appears that even in the dark parts of man's world, there are still... somewhat good men to be found." He passed out.​

6) In the winter of 2000-2001 Freddie went back into Gotham. He'd heard the stories about the Bat Out Of Hell and then the new ones about an albino madman clown, but he had people he knew there and he wanted to help them get out. Yes, he got into Gotham as part of a drug-smuggling operation, but no one is perfect and he'd been out of a job after the arrest of a bunch of his clients.

He was taking his old friend Adam's wife and kids out of the city, and Freddie's danger sense started ringing. He pulled them off the road, dragged them over to the docks, and splurged on emergency boat tickets to Coast City. (He missed out on an itching powder plot Joker unleashed on the bridge they would have crossed. Freddie never knew, but he saw thugs lurking around, and he knew the look.)

Unfortunately, even the water has its own dangers. Halfway along, a group of goddamn super-science pirates commandeered the ship to requisition the illegal chemicals it was illegally carrying (because hey, it was docked in Gotham). Everyone was afraid they were going to be shot, and when the Darth Vader dude with the flying-saucer helmet started interrogating people, Freddie saw his chance.

He broke down crying and spilled his guts, confessing to every tale of criminal woe and involvement with all things illegal, and please, he was only trying to feed his family! ...He talked for almost an hour solid, and Black Manta was just about to wise-up and keelhaul him when a blonde man surfaced off the starboard side and started punching people.​

7) In Coast City, Freddie was selling his services and running small time scams, slowly saving up enough to go legit. One day, he was on a bridge when the wires snapped, and out of nowhere a glowing green platform caught them all.

"...Nope," was all he said, and moved out of town the day after, getting extra cash by signing over the lease on short notice to some ex-pilot guy the landlord wanted housed there. It still didn't save him, it only prolonged the inevitable, as Freddie shifted from county to county over next few years, snarling up investigations in exchange for criminals' cold, hard cash. He never touched another gun, and he avoided dark alleys, but he couldn't avoid falling in with another bad crowd. Burglary was a pretty lucrative operation, after all.

And then, one summer night in Happy Harbor, Rhode Island, his bungling crew mate set off a burglar alarm on a house whose owners were supposed to be off enjoying that they'd sent all their kids away to college. Soon after, the team of 5 found themselves staring down 7 unimpressed super-heroes. "...Just what do you think you're doing?" one asked. Freddie sighed, opened his mouth, and spilled.

...And if Wonder Woman hadn't had her Lasso on hand that day, they might have all walked away without much jail time. Oh well.​

Mistborn Insert Omake _ Introduction
Well, I got hit by the writing bug. Don't worry, I'm writing LOD too. So PoV character April got recruited by the Mistborn Insert as a sidekick and he gave her a bit of Lerasium for her powers about 3 weeks before this snippet. Mistborn's base of operations is London, England.

17 October, 2008 __ [Friday] April's PoV

"Hey bubs, this is a no bird-hunting zone," I baited, dropping to the mouth of the alley a bit hard but letting pewter keep me feeling swell.

So I felt like publishing something because I just passed a major milestone, and I dug out this little omake-ish story of a YJ universe with a Mistborn insert who's an actual Mistborn. The 'main character' is actually his sidekick/apprentice, an Earth-16 native OC named April to whom he gave a chunk of Lerasium. Here's the short story of how that happened.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________​

12 September, 2008 __ April PoV - Fri

My first meeting with Urbain Haught - better known as Mistborn because he thought his name was a right pain - was not his first introduction to me, embarrassingly. I'd been sneaking out and around a couple nights a week since Galgani's (my boarding school) opened up for us to come back the first of August.

Knocking in some scumbags' ivories always left me feeling knees up the next day, no matter that I'd been missing sleep, and I'd been keeping up with my classes as much as I needed to. Besides, this was a Friday, I could sleep all the next morning. That wasn't a problem.

Problem was, I was alone in an alley with three jocks trying to do a drug deal, I'd left one smack flat on the ground, and I wound up staring down the business end of a pistol.

I'm not a moron, I froze up, backed off with my hands up, and started thinking how I could make a break for it. I wasn't coming up with much.

"Don't move, bitch," he spat, gesturing with the pistol. "Hey, Marco, is that wally really out cold?"

"Out like a light," the second jock confirmed once he was up from the corner I'd kicked him into. I should'a used him as a shield, I thought, but it was too late for that. "So what're ya gonna do with her?"

"Shut up, I'm thinking," he hissed. I was too, but I wasn't coming up with anything. I wasn't exactly up on range and accuracy with firearms, but my jacket and padding wouldn't protect me, and he could probably have managed six shots by the time I ran out to the street. Even if half of them hit me, that's still three bullet holes.

"Well," I tried, "you haven't shot me yet. A drug deal is one thing, but do ya really want a homicide here? In this neighborhood?" It was only a few blocks from Galgani's Boarding school, which was plenty posh enough. "The Fuzz'll eat you alive."

"Shut up, shut up shut up shut up!" he snarled, but in the moonlight I guessed that he looked scared, too. That wasn't good, though, 'cause he might get too scared to shoot me or he might get too scared to let me go. I shut up. Wish I'd had some cocky patter to talk my way out of it, but talking? Not my thing. My life would be so much easier if it was.

I stayed shut up as the two almost got in a kerfluffle over what to do with me.

Finally, it seemed like we all started calming down, and it looked like I wasn't going to get shot, when the guy without the gun suggested we could get out of the area and I could... make it up to them for the thrashing.

"And that is where I must step in," announced a third man's voice from up above. It gave us all a start, but it weren't as spooky as you'd'a thought it was, at night in the pale moonlight; it was just sorta... there. The three of us looked up, and I got as big a surge of fright as delight.

"Fookin' 'ell," spat the guy without the gun, and a yelp from Mr Pistol pulled my attention back. He wasn't holding the pistol anymore, and then Mistborn, London's recent resident cape, dropped on him. One guy went down, the other guy got caught and hog-tied in the flurry of his ribbon-cloak, and then I was face-to-face with a guy who'd dropped a Venom junkie and a fire-throwing meta on the telly a week ago, live, both at the same time.

"Just a moment," he murmured at me, and pulled something off his belt. "Mistborn on the line, got three guys caught trying a drug deal, one pulled a gun, I don't know if it's loaded or legal or what. One witness here, a minor, I'm going to- Look, you're new, right? Just send a car to where you're getting the red tracker signal on the GPS, I'm pants with street names. No, I'm going to talk to the witness while I take her home, do the more formal stuff tomorrow." He snapped the cell phone shut with an aggrieved sigh, and turned back to me.

"Thank you!" I blurted out. "I mean, uh, I'm not an idjit, I promise. I just... wasn't expecting that. Um... can we not tell anyone about this?" I tugged at my 'mask'. This getting out to the school or back to Aunt Catherine were the worst possible things. Well, other than being shot, etc.

"Nope, sorry, but let's talk somewhere else. Mind if I pick you up? Just around the waist, for a second to get back up?"

"You're gonna fly with me?" I boggled. "Yeah!" He scooped me up like I was a pillow, and for one exhilarating second we were in the air. Then he landed on the edge, set me on my feet, and plucked something shiny out of the air. "That was awesome."

"It is, isn't it. So, now comes the unpleasant stuff." I grimaced, not that he could see it behind the ski mask.

"You wanna know my name," I was certain. He shook his head and towed me to the center of the roof. "Wait, you don't?"

"April Halloway, age fourteen, born out of wedlock on the 16 of January, 1994, to Rachel Browning and Geoffrey Halloway. He was married at the time, but that didn't last long, then he married your mother when you were two, she died in a car crash when you were six, and he died of drug overdose when you were ten," Mistborn listed off.

"Um." I couldn't get a thing out.

"Your maternal aunt was granted custody, and you've avoided the stereotype where they only wanted you for the inheritance money, but only because you don't really feel welcome there, do you. So now you're here, away at a boarding school paid for by your trust fund, sneaking out to pick fights at night. I really only have one question for you at the moment."

Normally, a guy digging that far into my life would'a had me pissed off or scared, but I just felt sort'a numb. I nodded him to go on.

"Why on Earth do you stuff your chest? Really, you're fourteen," he scolded.

That startled a laugh out of me, and one laugh became a flood that poured out of my 'til I near tumbled over, if I hadn't ended up leaning onto him. He let me laugh myself out, and I was wrung near out by the end of it. I pulled off the ski mask, since why not?

"Well," I managed, "I figured I should do something to disguise my identity. I could maybe pass fer a jock, but in a few months maybe not so well. I'm sort'a short anyway, even if I've got some good muscle."

"Right," he deadpanned at me.

I flexed, though it wasn't like he could see anything through the jacket and my turtleneck. "I figured I'd make it real obvious I was a girl, and it'd make guys pause a bit? Or maybe they'd be eyeing my chest instead o' my fists? With the mask, these'd be my most distinguishing features, and if anyone tried to identify me they'd be looking for a top-heavy woman a couple years older'n me. And if they got close enough to figure I was fake, they'd guess I was a boy trying to do a sharp disguise instead. 'Sides, the padding's saved me bruises."

"...Not a bad answer," he mused, smirking. I grinned back. "Now, I can guess you got plenty of exercise on the farm, and you've been signed up for martial arts lessons since January." The smile fell off my face. "I guess the question is, how long will you do this?"

I took a deep breath, couldn't bare to answer, and deflected.

"I think the real question is, how do you know this stuff? Is that one of your super-powers?" Mistborn's powers weren't widely publicized. Sure there was some stuff everyone had seen him do, but even on his webpage he just said if the public knew everything, the bad guys would too, and that would be a pain for him. I knew he could fly, and use some magnet powers to shoot coins like bullets, and he was tougher and stronger than any normal person, but that was all.

"This isn't the first time I saw you sneak out; I've been shadowing your searches for more than a fortnight, making sure nothing as bad as that," he jerked his head to the alley, "would happen. I had some guys look you up."

"...Oh." I'd had no idea he was following me. Sure, he'd probably kept to the rooftops, but I still felt stupid. "Please don't stop me."

"I'm not sure I could if I tried," he replied, deadpan. "What would I do, watch your window 24-7? The school would need to lock you up hard, and that might not really work. In fact, I had the opposite idea." He sounded all chuffed with himself.

"What's that?"

"If you're going to do this, you might as well do it safely supervised, and ever since Robin, Kid Flash and Speedy are running around across the pond, I've been feeling a little lonely," he dang near purred. "How interested are you in an internship?" My eyes shot wide open.

"Cor," I breathed. "Are you serious? Yes, yes, a hundred thousand times yes thank you! I won't let you down, I promise!" It'd be embarrassing to remember I'd done it when he was as good as a stranger then, but I tackled him in a hug.

"Oof. Well, it's not that simple." I pulled back, a bit worried again, but that faded in favor of resolve. "You're going to need to do three things if we're going to do this." I nodded. "First, you'll need to keep your grades up."

"Never been a problem before," I agreed. Sometimes I skived, sure, but when I tried I was decent.

"Second, you're going to promise that you will not do this without my supervision." I bit my lip. "Outside of emergencies at least, because emergencies, but if I'm not patrolling with you, and I haven't given you the explicit go-ahead, I do not want you out here like this looking for trouble."

"...Okay, but I'll want to hear more about what I am doing. I want to help," I avowed, and he nodded, much to my relief.

"So do I, mostly, and I'm not going to be treating you like glass either. You will get bruises, and exhausted, and fight real crooks."

"Super." I smiled. "What's number three?"

"You need your aunt to sign the permission forms." He smirked at my face.

"...Shite."
______________________________________________________________________________________________________​

28 September, 2008 - Sun

"Cor," I breathed. "How did you get Aunt Catherine to agree to this?" All I'd seen when we had the meeting about my possible internship/apprenticing and she gave her flat it's-ungodly-no answer was he asked her to come walk with him to the nearest church.

"A lot of honesty, a little charlatanry,* and letting her keep some false assumptions."

They'd been gone until way after sunset, and then she'd come back looking awed and told me the next morning that I had permission. Mistborn had already gone back to London, and I spent a bit more of the day with her before I left, promising to keep up at school and playing some pickup games with James and Phillip before I caught a train back myself.

Then we hadn't had anything but phone conversations until he'd arranged for me to - and I hadn't believed it until he said so - get the same powers as him. For real. I was stoked.

"To begin, what do you know about my powers? And you're allowed to guess." I hesitated. "April, I'm not grading you on this. I'm just looking for a hook to begin my explanation."

"Righ', righ'," I mumbled. "Um, some magnetism stuff, some flight, better strength, speed, reflexes, probably better senses?" I guessed. He nodded. "And... um... I've seen videos where you grab something off your belt and drink it once or twice, and you've got stuff on there for it." I twitched my head. "We're not talking drugs like that Venom stuff, right?"

"No. My powers are a form of magic called Allomancy. It's a very common power where it originated, a place called Scadrial, although my strength with it is not. If you have any allomantic power, you're called a Misting. Mistborn have all of them, and they stack."

"So that's why so call yourself Mistborn," I finished. "No one really has a clue, y'know?"

"Good. I don't like to advertise my powers, and I expect you to not blab about, either."

"Yessir," I promised immediately. He nodded, and put a vial on the table.

"People with allomantic powers are also called metalborn, because our powers use metal as fuel. We ingest different metals and burn them like gas in an engine, so we get power for as long as the burn lasts. One power for each type of metal."

He was skirting around it a lot, so I didn't ask how many total.

"So how do you teach me how to do this?" I asked. "There's no contracts signed in blood, right?"

"Quite the opposite," he deadpanned. "I already gave you powers." I blinked at him. "Don't believe me? That vial has iron shavings in a suspension. Drink it and feel the burn." He chuckled.**

Nothing ventured, I resolved, and downed it without asking any more. It burned a bit, there was some liquor in the drink, but not a lot, and I could feel the metal grains pass over my tongue.

Nothing happened.

Then nothing again.

Then I felt it, like a pool of warm hot chocolate sitting in my stomach. I poked at my belly with my finger for a sec, but it when when I poked with my mind that the world changed.

"Cor," I breathed reverently. A bunch of thin glowing blue lines were leading out of my chest, and I just knew there were more out my back, I could feel them. I tugged on one.

Laras snatched the pen out of the air. "Congratulations, brat, you're a mini-mistborn."

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou," I babbled, and latched on in a hug again. How much would a government pay for... well, maybe that's why he signed up in the first place. But he gave it to me.

"...Alright, enough with the gratitude," he grumbled, and I let go. "Metals are divided into pure metals and alloys. Iron and steel are responsible for the magnet powers and flying."

"I pulled the metal in the pen," I agreed. "One sec, I have some change," and I could feel lines from my center leading to the pocket I was digging in.

"Then swallow some steel," he held out another vial, "and we'll head to the courtyard for practice after I explain what your limits are."

"A'right." I paused and presented my best listening face.

"Despite only affecting metal, the pulls and pushes are not magnetic, they're magic. The lines lead from your center of mass to things in range and made of the right stuff to be affected. The pushes and pulls also come from your center of mass. The pen would have slammed right into your center if I hadn't grabbed it, so don't try to call things to your hand, you need to grab them. Pushing and pulling are limited by your weight. For iron, imagine the iron line is a rope tying your body and the target, and you pull by reeling in the rope. What would happen if I pulled on the streetlamp?"

I glanced out the window. "Weeeellll... I guess you wouldn't pull it up by the roots?"

"No. Instead, I would be pulled toward it."

"Ooh! So flying is you pulling on something nailed down but above ya, and it's like a grapple rope!"

"Or I push with steel off of something bolted on the ground," he agreed. He opened the window, and I got up to follow.

* Religious discussion with her where he read from the Bible, then used his powers - specifically Cadmium and Bendalloy - to make it look like he'd performed a miracle (in the church, while holding a Bible, etc.).

** Another bit of charlatanry, not that April would know. He's got the lerasium shavings mixed in with the iron shavings in the vial, and it takes a bit for her to feel it because the lerasium has to burn and give her the powers first. Mistborn likes that misdirection stuff.

Last edited:
** Another bit of charlatanry, not that April would know. He's got the lerasium shavings mixed in with the iron shavings in the vial, and it takes a bit for her to feel it because the lerasium has to burn and give her the powers first. Mistborn likes that misdirection stuff.

I loved this note. It's the opposite of the usual chessmaster character who goes "I did it 35 minutes ago!" and stuff, and I've surprisingly never seen it done this way around?

Old Wounds - part 3
Life Ore Death
* October 23 [Zatanna PoV]

"Be careful," Kid Flash warned us as he settled into the shadowy alley down the block from Shirley Mason's home.

"We will be. Signal clear?"

"Loud and clear," he told me, double-checking the setting on the listening equipment. I was wearing a wire, and I saw Ferris check the placement of the Justice League's tape recorder concealed in her old-lady-purse.

She'd used her atium-mind to age up past Ms. Mason's age, and I was 14, so we should both be pretty innocuous as far as spying suspects went. Dad might flip if he saw I'd dyed my hair a chestnut brunette, but using magic to remove hair dye was much easier than using magic to reliably change the color. I could probably have done it for a while, but okay, I enjoyed what bit of rebellion I could get away with.

"All ready to go, Miss Lynnathel?" I asked, taking the arm not holding her cane.

"Please dear," Ferris croaked with a smile, "I changed your diapers; I think you can call me Karen."

'Karen Lynnathel' was her cover for this part; the Karen was an obvious choice, but I'd been intrigued when I heard Renka was thinking of keeping the Lynnathel. It seemed she was getting sick of having nothing to sign when she was supposed to write her last name, so she'd drawn up a list made from Scadrese words and puns, and was experimenting on the side with which ones she felt better fit.

I was 'Annastasia Rolinski,' known as Anna or Zee to my friends. I'd grown up next door to Karen and was happy to help her try to cross some things off her bucket list, with so little time left and her difficulties living on her own.

"Everything still good?" I inquired out loud as I helped her up the porch steps.

"My knees aren't all that far gone just yet, dearie," she replied.

<The both of you are loud and clear over here. >

Rather than our usual loose cascades, Ferris and I had both put our hair up as part of the disguise. Her grey and white was in a bun covered by a tied kerchief, and mine done up in an intricate, asymmetrical coiled braid that served to disguise the radio piece in my right ear.

It had taken Ferris four tries to get the effect right, and she'd only remembered it at all because the style was a favorite of one of her still-on-speaking-terms sisters. Sharing the experience with her trying to get it right was… intimate. She'd seemed very vulnerable, working at it.

"Shirley Mason?" Ferris croaked when the door opened.

"Yes. You would be Miss… Lin…?"

"Just call me Karen," she offered warmly. "My own nephew still mangles it every now and then, to say nothing of dear Anna's attempts." She patted my shoulder, then put on a convincing act of needing to quickly shift her weight onto the cane to stay stable.

"Then you must call me Shirley. Come in, come in. I don't care for tea, but I have coffee, I have water, I have wine?"

"I have no appreciation, so don't waste a good vintage on me," Ferris demurred. "Just water, please."

"Me too, please," I chirped, chivvying Ferris over to the couch, but not sitting yet.

"You can sit too… Anna, your name was? It's nice to see the current generation isn't as hopeless as I feared. Please, have a seat."

"Thank you." I plopped down beside Ferris, careful not to move suddenly enough that the radio might be visible behind my braid.

Shirley Mason brought a tray with three glasses. Ferris handed me mine and hers to hold, but we waited to drink.

"Thank you for this meeting," Ferris croaked. "I understand you might not remember much from a trial so long ago…?"

"That particular one was odd enough that it's always stood out to me. Na- Adams was a good man, or so I'd thought," she began.

'That's us off to a good start already,' I assessed. My finger squeaked from the condensation on the glasses I was holding. Robin had warned that, as a medical professional, Mason could have any number of drugs and poisons at her disposal. I'd already worked out, 'mraw fi deggurd,' and 'erup retaw,' ahead of time, so I just needed to wait for an opening to whisper the words.

"My brother always said the same thing. I only wish he'd been allowed to see the files before he passed," Ferris mourned. Kid Flash thought there was too big a chance of Ferris not knowing some rule or jargon if she portrayed herself as a fellow former war medic, so she was following up on the wish of her late brother – ostensibly a soldier Adams had rescued that got him his first decoration – about the case.

"I've always felt that it was… unnecessary, to classify the information so tightly, but it was in connection with other events around the same time, so," Shirley mentioned, offering a what-can-you-do shrug.

"Robert felt someone was covering something up. I don't suppose, years later, you may have any light to shed on what happened?"

Shirley hesitated.

"I never had a journal, but I kept some photographs from that time. Let me get them, if you'll excuse me."

"Mraw fi deggurd," I muttered when she left, touching them. Both cups stayed cold. "Clean."

Ferris took it in a shaking hand and took a long drink.

"There aren't many photographs, none of the people- but I've always had my suspicions about-," Shirley cut off again, re-entering.

"Suspicions?" Ferris croaked. "Please. It is decades too late to see any justice done, but if nothing else, Peggy and Randal deserve to not live with the shadow of a traitorous father over their heads. Angela went to her grave with the matter unsettled, but to her dying day she agreed with me. Everyone who knew him well considered Nathaniel Adams 'incorruptible.' What happened?"

"Nate would never have killed a man in cold blood. Not if he was in his right mind," Shirley hedged, and we all knew it was a dodge.

"You believe he was… mad with grief? I don't believe a temporary insanity plea could have been enough," Ferris grumbled.

"Alcohol can corrupt even the strongest of souls. I've… always blamed Yarrow for letting Nate go off when he was that drunk."

"Drunk? I can't… was alcohol included on the copy of the report?" Ferris blearily turned to me with her question.

"I don't remember immediately…" I murmured, making a show of tapping my chin.

<Nope. No mention of blood-alcohol level or tests, which is suspicious when Adams could have passed out drunk like he said. >

"No. There was no mention of it on the report."

"He had been drinking with Yarrow, building up a head of steam after the ambush about being sold out, minutes before he barged in to confront Lemar," she said with certain authority. 'Should she have known those details?' "I could smell it on him when I drew his blood."

"There was no mention of it in the report," Ferris wondered, but shook her head instead of pressing that it might have been Shirley who made it so on purpose. "I suppose it wasn't something tested for, officially. But could he have blacked out from drink, like he claimed?"

"It's not impossible. Personally, I always felt Polk's arrival was suspicious. If he wanted to kill the general, he could have been called in by Lemar to remove an unconscious Adams from the office floor, and he took advantage of having a scapegoat to use Adams' knife."

"Yes… but that still is not enough to reassure Peggy that she can be proud of both her fathers," Ferris lamented.

Shirley twitched.

"Mmmm," I hummed as I took a long drink, the signal to Ferris and to Kid Flash about noticing something.

<Was it the knife or the fathers comment? >

"Miss Mason, are you familiar with Mr. Eiling? I think he's a general now," I said, 'Miss Mason' being another verbal cue to KF.

"He married Missus Adams after her first husband's suicide," Ferris recalled slowly, "and he was the judge who sent him to jail and drove him to suicide. She always said she believed in his innocence, but I cannot imagine what she was thinking, with her second husband."

"Eiling could be very persuasive," Shirley admitted bitterly, "but judging from how happy she appeared to be with him – I attended their wedding, and I answered a few questions for Peggy about this myself, once upon a time – I think a large part of it was having gotten to know each other before he discovered whose widow she was, and had to tell her what part he played in that."

"Could that have gotten a retrial at least?" I pressed.

"Perhaps, if anyone put in the paperwork. Once Nate was dead, no one felt like putting in the time and effort to get a retrial, not even Angela or Peggy. There still wouldn't be enough evidence to have him declared 'not guilty' of murder, either way."

"You must be closer than I thought, to know those stories," Ferris told her, just a hint of accusation in the words. Shirley fidgeted.

"If we're going to talk about this, I insist on not being sober. Will you join me in a morning glass of red wine?" she invited suddenly.

"Just a tipple. Perhaps water it down, like they did in old Greece. Did you read the Odyssey in school, too, back then? Anna just did."

"It was so long ago," she laughed, bustling into the kitchen again.

"Wine," I murmured, and Ferris nodded to agree that it would likely be poisoned. I could see the scene already: the old woman collapsing of something considered natural causes for her age, with the young girl Shirley Mason had reservations about poisoning still safe, but the pressing questions about the case disappearing. 'It might not even be lethal. Hospitalizing her would do it, if "Karen" were really that old.'

<Zee, I have an idea. Do you have a handkerchief? If you spill the wine, sop it up, and pocket it we can scan it for evidence. >

'Great, handkerchief backwards, what a pain. Oh!' "Annadnab," I muttered. I shoved the piece of cloth I summoned from a drawer at home out of sight as Shirley returned with two glasses. 'I bet the wine's taste could cover the taste of any drugs, too.'

"Down the hatch," Shirley muttered, making a toasting gesture and taking a swallow of her glass. Ferris left hers untouched.

"Thank you for allowing us into your home and dredging up these memories," she said. Her voice hardened a little. "You said you had something to confess?" Shirley jolted like she was stung and took another sip.

"I wouldn't go so far as to say 'confess,' but I never liked Yarrow. Killing Lemar was always the type of thing his type of man would do, and not Adams. I've always suspected… well, maybe instead of putting Adams up to it, I can imagine they were both drunk, but Adams was just sober enough to act on the bad idea Yarrow was too drunk to follow through with. Perhaps he made a point of pleading the defense out of guilt," she suggested. "Please, have a drink," she added, with another sip of her own.

"Here, let me," I suggested, having a brain-blast and taking the glass. "What was that old drinking prayer from the old world? Wait, wait, don't tell me: mraw fi deggurd." The glass heated in my hand, and I barely kept it steady. 'Definitely poison. Let's break her façade a bit.' "Hey, this smells like the brand Dad lets me have after Mass; we do it old school, body and blood," I joked. "Do you mind if I have a taste?"

"No!" Shirley yelped, half-lurching out of her chair, only to stop when my hand did. She tried to hide how badly she'd reacted with severity: "There will be no underage drinking beneath my roof, young lady. None," she scolded, overlapping with Kid Flash's radio warning.

<Zee, heads up to you and Ferris: Miss Em got nothing new from Eiling, met with Yarrow, and got more nothing only with a pro-Adams spin. After they left, Aqualad and Artemis reported Polk got a call from 'Henry,' packed his bags, and Gamma squad are tracking him in the Bio-ship en route to Las Vegas now, while Alpha Squad is going to talk to the siblings. Shirley Mason may be getting a call soon. >

"Right, right, message received," I apologized, and when I moved to set the glass back I accidently caught the edge of the coffee table with the bottom, overcorrected with a jerk, and sloshed a bit onto the glass. "Sorry, sorry! Let me get that," I babbled, setting the glass down properly and getting the spill with my cloth. "Right, no bubbly for me. Um. Gurd raelc tuo. That's what you say for a formal apology?"

"Your vowels are atrocious," Ferris croaked drily, taking the now non-drugged wine from my hand and downing a third of the glass.

"What is that language? I've never heard it before?" Shirley wondered, settling back into her chair.

"Scadrese." I suppressed a grimace, wishing I'd thought of something better, but it wasn't like Ms. Mason would know what it was. "Miss-,"

"Karen," she chided, and took another drink. I could see the tension drain out of Shirley's shoulders, but she still didn't look happy.

"Miss Karen, who I have known and respected since she was changing my diapers," I corrected in a long-suffering tone, "is one of a few dozen speakers left. She's teaching me to help keep the language alive. Too many old languages go extinct every day," I added piously.

"How dutiful of you," Shirley Mason complimented, trying not to look at Ferris. They both drank some more wine.

"There is an unusual taste to this wine; I am afraid I do not recognize it. Not one little bit." That was a code phrase.

'Here it is, we're about to break cover and confront her.' I bent over, ready to jump to my feet and spit out a spell. 'What should I use?'

"It's supposed to have hints of gooseberry and cedar, according to the label," Shirley Mason suggested vaguely.

"Truly? I knew I would have recognized arsenic or cyanide, but not this." Shirley's smile grew suddenly wooden. "Neither work on me, and I doubt this would either. Mm. You know, it is a strange thing that many cocktails of poisons are quite tasty, while the antidotes are not."

"W-what? What on earth do you mea-?" She began to rise.

"Sit." Ferris's voice cracked like a whip. Our host froze. "Shirley Mason, we are perfectly aware of how much the trial was a sham. We have Enos Polk. We have the poison in the wine on Dear Anna's handkerchief. What we do not have are the real culprits, the ones giving the orders that you followed. Not officially, at least; you know the way money and power can buy protections," Ferris commiserated blithely.

"They'll kill me," Shirley said immediately. "They'll kill me if I tell you anything. I've… they've given me too much. I won't sell out anyone." She gulped down the rest of her glass. 'Her glass!'

"The wine!" I yelped, reaching out, trying to think of words-

"I doubt she's poisoned herself. Otherwise she wouldn't have tried to poison me," Ferris cut in calmly.

"Oh. Right," I muttered, sitting back. 'I really hope she's right about that - it's a bit of a risk....'

"Miss Mason, we do not want to hurt you," she crooned, and I believed her.

'Whoa, Ferris is really tapping a lot of connection, isn't she. Knowing what she's doing and seeing the effect is really cool, when I know what to look for. We totally need to update her skill list with that for getting information out of people; we could have been on different squads.'

"We want to help you," she continued. "You have a brother, medically retired, and his family. Your niece and nephew are enlisted. Your family never need to know your crimes, if you help us. But we need information. They want to brute force you the way we did Polk."

It was time for me to add on some more pressure. "Llet su eht eurt yrots," I uttered softly, giving voice to my chosen words.

Shirley's hands quivered as she set her empty glass down.

"I believe that you are also a victim," Ferris crooned, smiling her old-woman-missing-teeth smile. "Now, can you also be a hero?"

"Fred," Shirley blurted out. "It began with my brother. Lemar recruited me into the weapon smuggling ring to cover for shipments of dismantled weapons under the guise of medical equipment, and in exchange my brother got transferred away from the front lines."

"What of Adams?"

"Llet su eht eurt yrots," I repeated gently. Shirley bit her lip, frowned, and gave in to impulse.

"Nate was incorruptible. He was an inspiration to damn near everyone on base. I wanted an out, and I left some suspicious papers where he could find them. I didn't expect him to take them straight to Lemar, but no one ever cottoned on that I had tried to get out, and I never tried again after that. I was in too deep, and… well, after I threw my morals away for personal gain, what was the point of throwing away everything I had gained when I still wouldn't ever be a good person again. Good, evil, hah," she laughed bitterly.

"The only way to place yourself beyond redemption is to stop looking for it," Ferris chided her, and I felt a flush of pride because I was the one to tell her that when we were talking about Christianity once. "Are not there crimes today that you still can stop?" she pleaded.

"Llet su eht eurt yrots," I implored in the same tone, and Miss Mason shuddered.

"So what if there are? So what if Yarrow is smuggling weapons to Rhelasia? If he didn't someone else would. They are my friends," she complained. "Business comes first, but that didn't stop them from being there. We've met up a few times since, chatted about old times."

"Who killed Lemar, then?"

"Llet su eht eurt yrots."

"Polk. Lemar never saw it coming. He'd tried to get Yarrow and Adams killed – he hated taking orders from Yarrow. The rest above him scared the idiot too much, but Yarrow played friendly so well, and Lemar saw it as weak, the fool," Shirley Mason spat.

"And with what Polk said…" Ferris mused absently. We knew Polk hadn't been captured and had said nothing, but Shirley didn't.

"Yarrow and Adams both survived the ambush, but Lemar got too many good men killed in the attempt. I might have poisoned him myself. I should have, it would have spared Adams, but Yarrow drugged his drink and sent him off. I came in to 'tend' Nate, brought Lemar some beer – he always liked a pretty girl serving him – and took the bottle with me when Polk arrived. Polk used the knife and put it back, then tipped the antidote I'd provided down Nate's throat. We only had so much time before someone not involved would need to see Lemar, or he missed a phone call before he was found 'just murdered.' Polk barged in as it kicked in, made the arrest, and I faked the tests."

"And Yarrow argued his defense," Ferris prompted.

"Blankly was in on it. I was the one who recruited him, in fact. Yarrow had me kill him off when he started getting sentimental."

"Do you regret it?" I asked impulsively, and added, "Llet su eht eurt yrots." Miss Mason's face screwed up almost into a scowl.

"If I could tell my past self, the naïve little twit, not to get involved in any of it, sure. Still, after I got in, life got pretty good for me, and I get to settle my accounts by screwing over those bastards-," A door in the kitchen opened out of sight. "-for the bad parts. Hello, Rako."

I caught Ferris pop one bead of atium into her mouth and reach into her purse, as heavy metal footsteps approached.

"Aunt Shirley. And guests," a man in full samurai armor greeted, walking in through the kitchen.

'I've seen a lot of weird things, and this isn't at the top, but still,' I wondered.

Which didn't mean I wasn't ready for violence to break out.

<Someone is there? > Kid Flash asked, because he wouldn't know.

'He doesn't know. I need to-,' "So, Mister Samurai," I asked lightly, letting Kid Flash know who we were up against, "what are you here for?"

"To ensure that some secrets will never be told," he declared, and drew his sword.

"Taeh taht s'nopaew latem!" I declared quickly, a good general spell for disarming someone. The sword flared an unnatural red, highlighting a faint blue aura now emanating from the blade. "Uh, I'm not sure what that aura-,"

Rako lashed out with the sword that still was in his hand- 'Parc! He's wearing armor on his hands, too!' –and I dived back on the couch, which was not my smartest move, but that's why we worked as a team.

The room spun as Ferris grabbed me at super-speed and tossed me back toward the front door.

"Anna, sag in five, four, th-three," she counted off, engaging Rako. Between the coffee table blocking her way, her lack of combat armor, the capsule occupying one hand, and the sword being too red hot to grab, Ferris was still doing pretty well at keeping him from Mason.

I started to compose a spell targeting Rako's armor, which I should have done in the first place, when her count got through to me.

"Two!"

"Erehps-omta!" I blurted on reflex, ingrained when I'd begun quick-casting drills like Miss Martian's shape-change drills.

I felt a bit embarrassed about using a pun that bad, but it had worked weirdly well when I was developing my own spell list.

My magic twisted the air into violet-tinted sphere around my body; the shield was airtight, and it could withstand telekinetic force, one of Robin's explosive discs or Artemis's explosive arrows, an 800 mph flying kick, one mace blow from Aqualad's water-bearers…

And most important of all, the shield was airtight.

"One!" Ferris called, before she yelped and lost the beat because she had to kick the flat of the samurai sword away from taking off Shirley Mason's head; the woman still hadn't moved from her chair.

It was at the count of what should be negative one that Ferris flicked the catch on the gas grenade with her thumb. If Rako had expected a count for him to get out of range, he was sorely disappointed; Ferris had Robin modify it to trigger immediately for exactly these reasons.

Noxious green smoke blasted out to fill the room, hiding the other three from view as it wafted against my shield. I caught a glimpse of more motion than the swirling fog, heard the shatter of glass, and reached back through my memories of spell practices.

"Raelc tahw I ees!" The smoke swirled and parted in the center, to reveal Ferris pulling the unconscious Miss Mason out of her chair. It looked like Rako had escaped out a window. "Raelc eht ria. Dne lleps." I stood up again when the bubble dissolved.

Ferris's nostrils flared as she took a new breath. "He is- he did not stay. Car."

"Do we follow?" I asked. "I mean, I think national treason is a good excuse to break 'covert'? Or…?" Ferris snorted.

"Yes, good reason is, still you did not pay attention to lecture," she accused drily. "Covert is not clan-destined, said the Captain."

"Clandestine?" She nodded at me, and bent to double-check Ms. Mason's pulse and breathing. "What's the difference?"

"Covert means who people do the mission is the secret. Clandestine means mission was done is the secret."

'Ah, that makes more sense. So whether or not treason is worth breaking 'covert' for doesn't matter, as long as,' I realized, 'we can do this without people knowing the Justice League was behind it. That explains why Ferris insisted on heavier disguises.'

"So what do we do?"

<Well, we can follow Rako if you want, since I tagged his armor and his getaway car with trackers. >

I'd forgotten Kid Flash was with us, and I jumped a bit at the reminder.

"O-oh. Right, good thinking. Sorry I didn't call you in or give you an update," I apologized.

"Did Kay Eff call our friends?" Ferris inquired.

<Doing so right now. >

I relayed that to Ferris, who nodded.

"Did he record what was said?"

<Yeah, I-! Oooh, yeah, that's going to be really important, isn't it? >

Ferris took a deep, slow breath, and I zeroed in on the corner of her eye; Artemis and Robin had clued me in about that physical tell for when she tapped her zinc-mind, and was about to spout out some cunning plan.

<Guys! News from Beta Team, they jumped down when some violence broke out between Yarrow and Polk. Randy got a call, but it looked like military stuff according to Alpha team, nothing to do with Peggy. The timing is still suspicious, though>

"And now we are too far from the nearest Zeta Tube for speed," Ferris muttered without me telling her any of that; I assumed she'd been listening in with a tin-mind and didn't ask. "Kay Eff, ask to send the Bio-ship here. We will chase Rako, regroup, stop them."

"Wait," I interrupted. "We really need to keep Shirley Mason safe, and I'm not sure the police could stop anyone like Rako if they try again." She gave me a piercing look. "You've talked about always doing the most reversible path first," I accused. "We can always track them down and arrest them later if they get away, but we have Mason now, and we need her to talk. As long as she can testify the truth about the cover-up, we've succeeded this mission. Tracking them down is a new problem, after we've confirmed that Adams was innocent in a court."

"Court," Ferris muttered. She sounded upset, but she didn't argue with me. "The truth in court… Kay Eff, please follow Rako in person, if he leaves the car. Z- Anna," she corrected, "we will make phone calls, search the house, and wait."

<Beta Team said they can't spare the ship right now, but Superboy sounded really smug when he said he'd send some other way for us to get around. And I'm probably out of communication range if I follow Rako, but I'll duck back in every few minutes. >

"Roger that. I'm going to search the house," I decided. In the distance, I heard sirens coming our way. "Crap."

Last edited:
Old Wounds - part 4
Life Ore Death
*October 23 [Aqualad PoV]

I kept Miss Peggy Adams-Eiling in distant view as I contemplated how the situation had so quickly degenerated. It was indeed grit among the kelp for our missions, but I found myself wondering if I was suited for quick-reaction tactical decisions. Ferris, Robin, and even Artemis were all more adept at these particular matters, but none were currently suited for leadership of the Team. I could not decide whether I looked forward to the day when that was no longer the case.

'Indeed, Ferris and Zatanna have found ruins among the rubble in their section of the investigation. Our enemies must have already considered Shirley Mason to be a weak link in the investigation, if an assassin was dispatched less than an hour after we interviewed Henry Yarrow. Even Polk was given an opportunity to flee, rather than summary death. Not that Yarrow let him remain free.'

Not long after the departure of the assassin 'Rako,' Henry Yarrow had killed Polk in his home faster than Beta Team could intervene to save the man. Miss Martian had prevented Yarrow from swallowing poison when he realized he was outnumbered, but the man had demolished part of his own home with a prepared explosive that doubled as a panic signal, calling a team of unknown professionals to aid his escape.

Beta Team was in pursuit, the bio-ship easily keeping pace, but they remained concealed to both find the crevasse curve and prevent Yarrow from attempting to end his own life once more.

With the bio-ship occupied, Beta Team had arranged other transportation for Gamma Team, as they correctly felt the need to keep their prisoner safe to testify. So long as we had one living witness, the mission would be a success, but I was loathe to let traitors escape justice.

In an odd form of irony, our covert cover remained technically intact: neither Artemis nor I had our cover swept off, Robin had not taken the field visibly, Miss Martian remained shape-shifted, Superboy had forgone his iconic shirt for the sake of a disguise, and Gamma Team had not shed their disguises either. We did not need to remain covert, but it was possible if we desired.

'And anonymity has benefits. It is more difficult to prepare against an unknown foe than against associates of the Justice League.'

<This is Gamma Team to Alpha Team, I repeat, Gamma Team to Alpha Team. Do you read me? >

"Alpha Team, I read you." Peggy Eiling had not moved from her position over her notebook at the bar for some time; I felt comfortable keeping her in sight at a distance. "What is your status?"

<Good news: Anna made a distraction and we have a box of decent potential evidence with us. Bad news: I was wrong, the whore did dose her own drink, she just also had an antidote on hand to give herself before it kicked in, but she was already going through bad seizures when I found it, and tipping it down her throat may not have been enough. I think she's flat-lined, no pulse. Permission to dump her in the river, or do you want us to meet with Delta Squad first? >

I took a moment to consider the myriad of things wrong with that report – Ferris's use of a sex-based derogative, her naked scorn, the sloppy dumping of a body in the river, and the mention of the imaginary Delta Squad – and I came to the only reasonable conclusion.

'This is too far wrong to be an impersonation, and it is not how she would speak under duress. Our communications are not secure.'

"Do as you see fit, but a lake will make the body easier to retrieve if necessary," I instructed. "I prefer you rendezvous with Beta Squad if your positions make it feasible. If not, when should I expect you?"

<We will hook up with Beta when they comb through the wreckage for Yarrow's trail. Are you expecting violence? >

"Not yet." We devolved into a few more exchanges of seriously worded non-sense before we ended communications.

'How long have our lines been insecure, how did Ferris determine this, and is it only her line, only mine, or all of ours?'

Unfortunately, my safest action at the moment was to wait to communicate with Artemis in person, when she found where Randal Eiling had been called away to by his phone. 'The possibility occurs to me that I may be physically bugged. It should be impossible….'

I resolved to be safe rather than hopeful. Peggy Eiling still remained in her position, so I stepped around a corner, into a copse of palm trees, where there would be no witnesses.

Calling my power, I ran an electric charge across my skin, powerful enough to short out almost any listening device.

When I returned, Peggy Eiling was packing her notebook and putting down money, but then she appeared to hesitate.

I checked the area for reflective surfaces, in case I had been discovered observing her. 'I cannot be certain.'

Peggy Eiling made a call on her cell phone as she walked away. From the way she made sure to remain in well-populated areas over the next two hours, it felt safe to assume that she was aware of me, and I regretted any discomfort I may have caused her.

Artemis reappeared to report that Randal Eiling was returning with several off-duty comrades, and I took that opportunity to leave the area. Artemis had (as she conveyed in gestures, once I had warned her of a possible bug) bugged Randal's clothing, so we would be more likely to find them if they were not safe out of our sight.

We retreated to the area Ferris radioed in as our meeting ground, and waited.

"Am I the last to know about all our new developments?" Ferris griped plaintively as she handed me a sheet of paper.

"You should not leave the time zone if you do not want to be left out," I observed out loud while I read her information. 'Ferris's humor may be rubbing off on me: I find myself wondering what expression her face took when Sphere flew down in her vehicle form.' Ferris had been in China on Wednesday, when Superboy had discovered Sphere's ability to morph between several forms, and had not since heard of it.

"Speaking of, we found something odd mid-trip, but it can wait," Zatanna added, gesturing to reinforce that it was not urgent.

We were still in range of the listening bug planted in the frame of a picture taken from Shirley Mason's home.

'I suppose I was too paranoid about Artemis and I being bugged, but security was our primary concern. ...Is this-?' I raised my eyebrow and pointed to a specific passage on the paper, while my mouth made an innocuous comment meant to bait any listeners spying through the bug. Ferris nodded seriously while Zatanna spoke to maintain the flow of conversation. 'Sphere alerted Ferris to the presence of the bug? Bugs plural, as an additional listening bug and a tracking beacon were hidden on Shirley Mason's person. Those were dumped in the river to… yes.'

I continued to read the report as Artemis spoke to them, bandying ideas back and forth about a potential report back to a boss.

"I approve, but we may need to make a few further preparations," I said seriously, pointing to a specific place on the report. We did not need to maintain a covert cover any longer, and I planned to report in to Captain Atom and request permission as I updated him to the situation, but there was a certain satisfaction to the idea of passing as under Lois Lane's employ.

I wanted to destroy this conspiracy of traitors, and for one of the few times in my life, I was angry and disgusted with their actions enough to understand why Traitor's Reef had been kept as punishment for so much of Atlantean history.

Moreover, I knew details about people involved, including Ms. Lois Lane, of which it appeared Ferris was unaware. I took a pen and began to draft my suggested changes in my mind as the rest of my attention continued to read.

These treasonous traitors had subverted their oaths, aided the enemies of their homeland, and destroyed at least one innocent man's life in the pursuit of naked personal gain. If we did not see them brought to justice…

Well, I had resolved not to rest until we had brought their deeds to light, so it was an empty point.

Speaking aloud of a rendezvous with the imaginary Delta Squad, I began to write down my variants for Ferris's idea.

Back