Life Ore Death - DC Feruchemy [Young Justice]

You repeated airtight, did you meant to?
Yes, it's a stylistic thing.

This is a really minor nitpick, but I believe it should be "gurd raelc tuo".
Fixed, thanks.

Hm. I'm not sure what could get Ferris thinking telepathy is compromised?
Miss Martian is in the other group isn't she? I think its just formatting for radio.
This is general narration.
'Now a character is thinking inside their head.'
"This is what I say out loud for people to hear."
[I'm sending this sentence over a telepathic link.]
{Magical information, of some form, generally.}
<Mechanized recordings, etc., like speech over a telephone or radio and the Zeta Tube designation announcements. >

Old Wounds - part 5
Life Ore Death
*October 23 [Robin PoV]

This wasn't the most complicated sting I had run on a bunch of crooks, nor the one with the highest stakes or the worst criminals, but I agreed with all the others that it was the one I most wanted to work right now, and see these guys in the slammer for the rest of their lives.

It was also the biggest one I'd run without Batman, but it wasn't like we had no backup. Aqualad had made a bunch of calls, and Captain Atom had given the OK for everything he heard about the plan after he stopped glowing. 'The guy has a strong sense of justice.'

'Or maybe Miss Martian's right and there's something else going on, because I still don't know where we got the tip that Adams was innocent in the first place….'

I put it to the side and focused on sneaking around to get to the next bomb Rois had planted with his dead man's switch. I wasn't sure what they all were going to get out of this – Yarrow or the mercenaries (they might have been Uzbecki? I couldn't quite tell,) or Rois – but they'd laid this trap and the Team was going to strangle them with it. We'd leave no room for doubt when we dragged it out.

[We begin in five, four, three, two, one.]

"Well, if it isn't the estimable Lois Lane," Henry Yarrow announced casually as our Team walked in the front door of the aircraft hangar, Lois Lane front, center, and smugly serious. "I hope you weren't expecting your boyfriend to rescue you; he's on the Pacific coast."

"Old man, you've got a lot to learn about a self-made woman," she mocked back. Aqualad, Superboy, and Ferris stood in a triangle formation around her, still disguised. The visible mercenaries leveled their guns at the four.

Artemis and KF were the other two sneaking around the back and sides of the hangar; she'd been trained by Sportsmaster, and he'd had some lessons from Batman with me, so they were the best choices. Zee was hanging back as mission control and arranging distractions.

"Well you've got a lot to learn about modern espionage. We've had bugs on all four of your teams for hours," Yarrow replied. "You aren't getting out of this, I'm afraid. Hate to hurt a dame, but you do what you do." Which we knew was a lie: we only had three teams.

"You're not the first to tell me that. Truth is," Lois Lane informed him with a confident shrug, "I only showed up here on a drunk tip from Mason. She'd been getting sentimental in her old age. Wouldn't have expected her to commit suicide while sober. I guess you didn't either, since you sent your boy Rako after her." Lois Lane examined the picture airily, then looked back to the people standing around. "I'm going to say: the spook Alec Rois, Rako is the boy here, and you would be General Duk Trang?" she assessed of the faces present.

"I would indeed, dear lady," the old man rasped. "I hope, Yarrow, you will permit me a small foible, and get the lady's autograph before you do… whatever it is you have planned. I'm quite the fan."

"Isn't everyone just," Yarrow griped. "You've clearly called in some favors to make up for the lack of Kryptonians in the building-," I stifled a laugh as I snipped another charge's wire, and I heard Superboy give an angry huff. "-but it isn't enough. Here's the deal, Miss Lane: General Trang has more than a dozen armed men on guard here. My friend Alec also favors quantity over quality, especially when it comes to explosives, and his dead man's switch will level the hangar and all of us with it if you try anything. Rako is set with our specialty x-ionized equipment, capable of surviving said explosion and cutting your Kryptonian boyfriend in half, on the off-chance he does make it here."

[X-ionization is, I think, what it was that made Vertigo's sword sharp enough to take my arm. Now I want double dibs,] Ferris declared.

[As agreed, you have priority to engage Rako, so long as you keep him from disrupting any of the rest,] Aqualad reassured her.

"I'm surprised you mentioned that dead man's switch so openly. C'mon, mercenaries, are all of you really willing to die for this scumbag's glory?" Lois made a show of looking around the hangar, counting up all the guards the other side hadn't yet noticed we'd taken out, and how many remained, judging how long to play this charade out. "No one is having second thoughts about turning state's evidence? You all aren't guilty as sin of falsifying a trial and framing an innocent man, the way they are. No? No one?" Duk Trang laughed.

"Never rely on a man who fights for money," he wheezed. "Smart ones know they cannot spend it in the grave, and stupid men are not worth the prices you pay them. We have expanded our operations over the years, Miss Lane. Everyone here is willing to die."

I took the moment to pounce and do my nifty disappearing trick on one of the gunmen in the back, tying him up and taking him out before he could get a sound off. [I've got all my quota of creeps and then some,] I reported.

[I think 'Phase 2: Snuffed,' is good to go. I can try again, but the only way to test it isn't the best. Shall we keep going?] Zee asked.

[Let us,] Aqualad agreed. [Proceed to Phase Three.]

"Willing to die, willing to kill, willing to frame innocent men and shatter families," Lois Lane mocked him. "I'll wager Adams wasn't even the worst you've managed over the years." I took a break to sit back and watch the action.

[I've got all the bombs in this section, too. You guys?] I sent.

[Ready Freddie,] KF sent out.

[I've disarmed all of mine,] Artemis affirmed. [We can proceed to 4 or 5 whenever you want, Aqualad.]

"No," Yarrow defended sourly, "Nate was the worst of it. No one else has been smart enough and straight enough to pose a risk. It helped that we had to cut down our activities until after the end of the war, too, but he was one hell of a guy."

"He saved your life, so you drugged his drink, and ran him through a sham trial? Way to treat 'one hell of a guy.' Heck, with all the people involved, why even bother with the trial, Yarrow? Why not just shoot him and say you had the trial? Why bother with his defense?"

"To throw suspicion off, of course. It wasn't like we had everyone in on it. Not possible, what with the records to be filed, the court's reporter, the other soldiers who attended, the guards while Nate was imprisoned… And, well, maybe it was a bit idealistic….

"I always had this hope in the back of my mind to make up some new evidence," Yarrow mused, "or have another loyal follower in the right position 'confess' to having been responsible for the murder. My favorite idea would've been to kill Blankly four or five years after, and include the confession in his suicide note. Get Nate out and free, with a more realistic sense of the way the world really works.

"Blankly was dead weight if ever a man was, but Nate… oh, they broke the mold after they made him. Working on the smart side, he could've passed me up, maybe taken the ring over himself, expanded out even further. Never expected him to kick it after only a year."

[He actually sounds sad,] I broadcast, awed at the gall of this guy. 'Heck, if I'm feeling that, I can only imagine how turbed everyone else is not, hearing this load of-! I really hope no one blows anything up.'

[I've known some sick fucks, but I thought Dad took the cake on the military side for his dishonorable discharge and treason. He'd fit right in here, though. This is sick,] Artemis sent, probably by accident since she wouldn't want to talk about her dad to us.

[Focus, Team,] Aqualad sent before someone (like KF) could add on to what Artemis let slip.

"You're clearly never going to realize that being incorruptible was what made him so great to begin with," Lois spat. "I'm going to see you locked away for the rest of your miserable life, Yarrow."

"You and what army, Miss Lane?" he challenged.

"The United States Army, you miserable traitor," growled General Wade Eiling as he stepped out from under Zee's invisibility.

I cackled: the look on their faces was absolutely priceless. His arctic gaze had everyone taking a step back in shock, even half of our side.

[Now.]

Zee must've uttered her next incantation, because a second after that, the room changed. The eight still-conscious gunmen and four remaining conspirators were now outnumbered 2-to-1 by two dozen Special Forces soldiers. Gun barrels were leveled at everyone in the room – except for Rako – from multiple directions; there were even two guys up on the catwalk to pincer Yarrow from the sides.

Worst of all, from one point of view, were the three people behind General Eiling, standing with Zatanna. Peggy Eiling's cheeks were stark white, as were the knuckles of her clenched fists, and a single line of blood dripped from where she bit her lip. Randy Eiling had drawn his own sidearm, but couldn't decide which of the available targets he wanted to kill first; both his cheeks were wet with tears.

Behind the two of them, Captain Atom had readied an ugly orange aura around both of his fists. His metallic face was hard as a statue's; my instincts told me that if we hadn't read him in on what we discovered beforehand, he would have already attacked; he was not traught.

"Hah! Well then!" Rako yelled, trusting his armor to protect him from the bullets as he charged to cut down the biggest threat.

We'd predicted he would try that, which is why none of the guns were aimed at him.

After all, Ferris had called dibs.

She slid into his path with a cocky smile, and turned Rako's swing aside by brushing her bare hand against the flat of the blade.

He tried to just charge over her anyway, relying on his strength and the momentum behind his armored weight to-

'Not happening,' I knew without even needing to watch as I flipped onto the catwalk with Yarrow, who was still distracted by watching all his work to mantle this thing into his aster get totally dissed by our counter-plotting.

He was totally chalant about it, all in the worst way, eyes bulging and jaw dropped to let in the flies.

"Where did you-?" Rois shouted as KF buzzed over to hold his hand down on the trigger – better safe than sorry in case we missed any of the charges, after all. Three arrows struck true, wrapping General Trang in a net and gluing down the two soldiers fast enough on the draw to pull their triggers.

Not that they hit anything, since Zee had cast a previously worked out, 'On seiraidnecni etanoted, on snug erif, on snoisolpxe, on noitsubmoc ni siht aera,' spell before she started playing with her fancier illusions.

Below us, another arrow glued KF and Rois's hands to the trigger with foam, except KF just shucked out of his glove to escape.
I kicked the gun out of Yarrow's hand and started kicking his ass. A yell confirmed- 'Yup, Rako just discovered that he hasn't got what it takes to tackle Ferris with her iron-minds. And holy cannoli with macaroni, she is owning him.'

Our eldest Teammate was making a flat-out fool of Rako in his attempt at a fight, spinning him in rings as she ghosted just out of reach from his slashes, turning some of them aside with her bare hands, and darting in once every few exchanges to-

"Whoa, this is totally appointing to watch," I admitted as I bound Yarrow's wrists behind his back. A fourth piece of samurai armor clattered to the cement floor as she ducked back with a joyous laugh, and Rako spat curses at her as he swung more wildly. I just boggled.

'She's getting in his range and unfastening the clasps on his armor mid-attack, just toying with him as she leads him around.'

Rako roared and way overcommitted, so she threw him with a judo move I'd taught her. Seeing that bit felt really good.

Watching it, I was positive she was tapping her metal-minds, but instead of going totally overwhelming on his ass, she was staying whelmed and maintaining the aster at a pace just within what humans might or might not be capable of, managing her tap rates perfectly.

Her judo throw could have ended the fight, but Ferris was going for humiliation instead, so it only cost Rako three more pieces of armor. I saw where they both were positioned in the warehouse, even as I threw a disc at the last guy Superboy, Aqualad, Artemis, and KF weren't subduing down on the floor, and I knew immediately how she was planning to end the fight. I watched eagerly: it was too good to miss.

There was a support beam between them, and she led Rako's horizontal slash straight through it when he retaliated for her undoing the catches that held his breastplate to his chest. She danced around him, leading him spinning in a ring as he hacked at her, tearing away the other nearby pillar with a lazy backhand, and darting in to pluck the samurai helmet from his head before she slipped back.

Rako tried to follow her, his revealed face sporting an ugly scowl. 'Huh, he looks older than I would've guessed.'

Bereft of support, the stacked boxes and the walkway above crashed down on Rako's newly helmetless head.

He went down hard enough to concuss under the collapse, and groaned. It took effort, but Rako used the last of his strength to work partway free, only to end up staring down the blade of his own sword. Ferris's bright smile was almost childlike in its glee.

He slumped down, hopeless, and stayed down.

"No burning necessary," she announced proudly, as I dragged Yarrow down to the others.

"Dne lleps," Zee sighed, and I wished I could be there to catch her when she staggered, exhausted.

'You have your own girl,' I directed grumpily at Superboy, but I was still grateful someone had got her before she fell.

The guys on the other side – those who were still in any state to notice – all had very disturbed expressions on their faces, once they realized the two-dozen soldiers had vanished because they were never there in the first place.

It was practically giving me warm fuzzies, to see the 'superstitious, cowardly, criminal scum' of the world get some comeuppance.

'I gotta wonder if Renka's milder sadism has been rubbing off on me. …And guys, if I broadcast that, please don't make any of the tasteless jokes we're all thinking of. I know that was a suggestive choice of words; it was an accident.' No response. 'Phew. Great. And, incoming.'

I realized our four guests were heading my way with Randal in the lead, a scowl on his face every bit as nasty as I'd ever seen on Batman outside of That Time Of The Year, and I really hoped we wouldn't have to find out whether Zee's spell was still stopping his gun, too.

"You-!" Randal snarled, pressing the sidearm to Yarrow's temple. I wouldn't've let him get that far if Captain Atom hadn't given me a signal to stay out of it, and I was still tempted to disobey. "You foul, miserable, excuse of a-! I ought to shoot you where you stand, it'd be a damn public service. You ruined my family, widowed my mother- Peggy never knew our father because of you, and I've spent most of my god-damned life damning the man who should have been the biggest hero in my life. I'm going to smear your shit-for brains across the-,"

"Enough, son," General Eiling declared, clapping a hand down on Randal's shoulder. "…Randy," he amended awkwardly, to fill the silence that followed. "I… He isn't worth it. Leave him alive, to prove that the laws and courts he made a mockery of – that he made me make a mockery of-," General Eiling's voice rasped with an angry growl, "-are still worth something, and still can bring some justice in this world."

"I…" Randal trailed off, and if Batman hadn't given me training I'd have backed off and risked leaving my prisoner unattended just to escape the awkwardness. I soft titter from Ferris reached my ears, and I just knew she was loving this. She'd never denied it was a reason for her idea to bring the Eilings, even if she'd had plenty of other good reasons to offer. "You're right. And, I didn't mean to-,"

"I know what you meant, Randy."

"…Call him son," Captain Atom suggested slowly. "You've certainly raised two good children, Eiling." He forced a laugh, probably feeling as awkward as the rest of us. "Well, this is the twenty-first century, or so I'm told. It's not as rare as back in our day to have two fathers, now."

General Eiling let out a little huff of not-quite-laughter. His smile fell off as he stepped up to address Yarrow. "Henry Yarrow, I will see you stripped of every merit you have earned in the service, disgraced with every dishonor I can name. I swear by every sight I have seen of you over the years, you will be paid what you are owed for this." Maybe he was just too knocked around, but this entirely failed to cow Yarrow.

Peggy stepped up when the General stepped back, and drew up her knee for a kick.

At that, I unfortunately had to intervene, hand snapping out to stop the hit.

She flailed a bit when she overbalanced. Randal caught her, and she turned the full force of her glare on me instead.

"It's not that I don't think he deserves it," I babbled quickly, keeping my hold on her ankle, "but there's the risk your heel might put out one of his eyes, and take it from me, that stuff never comes out. You really think he's worth one tenth of what you paid for those shoes?"

I let her go. She kept her foot up for a moment, considering if she wanted to kick his ribs instead; I would've let her. Peggy put it down instead, then she pulled back a fist, but frowned and didn't swing. Finally, she hacked up a wad and spat, clear and straight in his face.

"I don't even want to touch the turd," was all she said before she turned away.

"Then you can please hold the Lasso, and I will get him ready to question," Ferris instructed as she breezed into the middle of the group, dropping a shimmering, gold coil of rope into General Eiling's arms. "The Ultra-Humanite had much to tell, and I want to know if the weapon ring is connected to the other criminals. What do you think, General? Who do you think Yarrow was working for? The Shadows?"

General Eiling first finished typing in a message on his phone with a scowl, having passed the shimmering rope to Randal as quickly as she had to him, before he answered. "We should have military police arriving in ten minutes, or I'll have their guts for garters. I think that, unfortunately, as the law is still unclear on the efficacy of magic in interrogations, we would be better to wait on that front."

"Oh?" Ferris wondered, not stopping from what she was doing.

"I've presided over far too many stupid mistrials, where guilty-as-hell bastards walked free for a small error, to want to put another judge in that situation. Feh, mistrial." He growled the word like it was an obscene oath, and Ferris paused in her manhandling of Yarrow.

"…Okay, yes, I will wait to interrogate," she said. Eiling nodded to agree, and he stepped up again.

"Scumbag, you made me put away an innocent man and ruin a family. I-," General Eiling's voice cracked, but I was a bit preoccupied. "You've damn near-! When I figured out who I was dating by whatever twisted whim of fate, telling Angela I'd been the one to as good as give her late husband the death sentence was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I was all but praying Adams was guilty – I have been for years – and now you've gone and almost made me relieved, because I won't have to live with her deserved hate after telling her about this!"

Captain Atom stepped up and put a bracing hand on General Eiling's shoulder, pulling the man back.

"Angela was a good women, and she always brought out the goodness in others. She'd lay the blame square where it belongs, with Yarrow, and if anyone dares say otherwise, they'll answer to me," avowed the metal-skinned man, clenching his own metal fist.

Off to the side, I saw Ferris give shallow a nod to Aqualad, and I knew what it was about.

[Did anyone else catch that, or just Ferris and me?] I checked grimly.

[I noticed it to. I wish I could read their minds, but Uncle J'onn told me when I still lived on Mars about him giving some lessons on resisting telepathic intrusion to a handful of government agents. I doubt it'll work, and not without noticing, and all those issues.]

[I've heard it's since blown into a requirement for anyone above a certain security clearance to be able to recognize and repel telepathy up to a certain level,] Artemis finished. [Not certain about that, but better not to risk it yet.]

[All that means, is that only our work here is done,] Aqualad emphasized. [Zatanna.]

[On it.] "Peels," she said aloud to one of the prisoners, and he slumped over. "Peels dna od ton ekaw niaga yadot."

"You've always been a wise man," General Eiling commented philosophically. Then, "Well, as another wise man once said: 'The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is today.' I think that should hold true for righting other wrongs as well."

"General," Captain Atom began uncertainly, but Eiling waved him off.

"Peels. Peels litnu eht txen gninrom," Zee continued in the background.

"May I?" Ferris suggested, offering to take over Yarrow. I shook my head, because I wanted to stick around now, and guarding him was the only excuse I had to be here, listening in on this, so Ferris slipped away to where Rois, Rako, and Trang were held.

"Captain, I believe you've met both Randal and Peggy before? At least in passing, a time or two, at military parties and events."

"Oh, yes," Randal answered instead. "Captain, thank you for letting us use the Justice League's teleporters so we could be here."

"Peels. Peels eht elohw thgin yawa."

"It was worth it. Horrible, but one way or another, I'll remember this for the rest of my life." Peggy spat a wad onto Yarrow again. "Thank you… Captain Scott, I remember? Cameron Scott? You gave me your name at that- I forget, was it a Veteran's support function?"

"Peels," Zee said, putting the last of the hired guns to sleep. "Peels rof evlewt sruoh."

"I hadn't heard about that," General Eiling rumbled, but shook the thought away. "Still, as it happens, the story of how Captain Atom came to gain his powers is not what is commonly known." Captain Atom looked like he couldn't decide whether or not he wanted to run.

[I want it on the record that I called this, and you guys are doing my dishes the next month,] M'gann sent, going from Lois to JAG form.

"Peels," Zee commanded Rako. "Peels dna maerd fo ruoy doohdlihc." She shook her head, looking pretty tired from the casting.

"In sixty-five, one of the less ethical programs our nation made the mistake of starting up – although I can't say it was a total mistake, now can I – offered condemned criminals shortened sentences in exchange for undergoing tests they were unlikely to survive, in the hopes of developing a reliable super-soldier serum." I held back a swallow gasp. "There were no reliable successes, but a few tries worked."

"Peels," Zee cast on Duk Trang. "Peels dna maerd fo ruoy modeerf." She turned at last to Alec Rois, lips pressed together.

"I would have objected to the risk of giving criminals such powers, but now… I realize this must come as a shock, but we have the rest of the day to come to terms with it, and the rest of our lives after that. Peg-leg, Randy, I would like to introduce the two of you to Captain Atom, formerly Captain Nate Adams, your birth father." A flash left behind the man whose picture we had seen, white haired, uncertain.

"Peels," Zee finished firmly. "Peels dna maerd fo ruoy epacse."

Old Wounds - part 6
Life Ore Death
*October 24 [Wade Eiling PoV]

It was ten-to-midnight, and the damn Martian was still skulking around the side office next door in disguise, imagining I didn't know exactly who and where she was, and thinking herself a spy. It would have been laughable, were it not so pathetic.

I knew she had shape-shifted into Lois Lane at the sting the day before, and I knew it was her now; when she had first arrived two hours before I'd had feelers sent out and confirmed sightings of the real Lois Lane in Metropolis, in her office at the Daily Planet.

Every bit of the building within four rooms minimum of my personal was wired, armed, trapped, and bugged, as well as an acceptably large portion of the outside surroundings. The windows held several layers of holograph technology between the multiple layers of reinforced glass, allowing me to project angle and depth accurate images of what went on inside my office to the outside. It was also useful to do the opposite, and I occasionally indulged in an ocean sunset on a gray morning, or a blizzard in high summer.

I had full observational access to every inch of my domain, could restrict and control the same from any other observers, and could similarly trigger alarms, force fields, or a variety of turret fires from multiple directions at multiple targets.

It was far from impenetrable, but because of that my set-up wasn't even the most suspicious security system used by officers at my level.

Hell, it wasn't even the most suspicious in this building. Lane had started a goddamn trend when he got on about installing red sunlight lasers around his office in section 3 to ward off 'that alien'. Anyone looking for a man with something to hide would find no less than eight names above my own on the list. Best of all, my system was entirely legit and legal, if a bit experimental, so I was safe on that front as well.

The part I was most satisfied with was that it was not an entire, whole system in itself, but three parallel systems that shared nothing except the terminal control points: my desk, a secondary set-up in another office, and a tertiary system in the central security office. Even the most accomplished hackers, even if they got on-site to directly access the hardware, shouldn't be able to hack all three at once.

Did the Martian take the hint and leave? No, which at least, I had to grudgingly concede, meant I wouldn't have to fight her off anywhere else, outside of my most convenient stronghold. Still, she had come here alone and not once tried to contact the outside.

'Then again, she did much the same when she ghosted into the bathroom and impersonated- bah! But she hasn't even tried to reach out to reinforcements, or she would have noticed the telepathy blockers are active. Looks like I'll be pulling an all-nighter on this. I'm getting old….'

Alec was approaching by the usual route, finally. I'd never told him the full details of my systems, but if he wasn't aware of more than three-quarters of it, I'd eat all my medals. We were the only ones in the area. There were some staff in a distant room and a patrolling guard, but I'd used my authority to clear out all the other rooms under my jurisdiction.

"Took you long enough." I greeted Alec with the innocuous passphrase when he entered the door. Adding, "Escaping from a jail in Saint George, Utah, shouldn't be that hard, Alec," wasn't part of the pass-phrase, but a critique of his skills and a press for the status report.

"Escape was easy. But you try hiding a seven-foot Cambodian sometime." The last bit of tension – the tension that Martian put in my shoulders – eased at the confirmation of the counter-phrase. 'So Rako is out and safe, too. Good, he's useful, with or without his gear.'

I pulled out a cigar to celebrate. Angela had never liked the habit, but… well, she had been gone for some time.

"How'd it go on your end?" Alec asked.

"Yarrow knows to take the fall for everything, from the smuggling ring to the killings, and he'll even plead to taking actions in the past to frame me as his superior, as a fall guy in case he was ever discovered with less solid evidence than what's there now. It isn't like he needs to fear for his life, now that he's in custody. No vigilante 'justice' or lynch mobs here, no siree."

"And no one suspects you weren't in Mason's picture because you took the picture?"

'That is not what I would have expected him to say.' I suppressed my flicker of anxiety with the act of lighting my cigar and taking a puff. 'Has Alec started a sentence with "and" ever before?' That, and the unexpected tack of the question…

"Anticipating this type of possibility all those years ago? No, no one's thinking a damn thing about that. Hell, what with dinner last night and me letting the three catch up together today, Captain Atom is my new best friend. Which should serve us well in the days ahead."

"Wicked, Wade, very wicked indeed," Alec chuckled, playing off our old joke. I relaxed again, finally reassured it was him.

'Just a fluke, that's the real Alec. I need to confront the damn Martian already: her presence is making me jittery. I'll be relying on trying out that new purchase, unless I want to risk disappearing her when there's already something about me the Justice League finds suspicious. Compliments to her act, though, she's behaving like a human reporter getting a scoop even when she shouldn't think she's being watched. '

"Did you take care of Trang?" I asked carelessly, to assuage the last of my nerves. Alec grumbled.

"They moved him to a damn different facility. I couldn't get there and then here in the same day."

Which was exactly what I had already been aware of, using sources Alec shouldn't know I could access. He hadn't lied.

"Not likely Trang'll talk about anything," I mused. "He's too old to have anything they can threaten him with, or offer as a bribe. If he talks out of vindictiveness, Yarrow will just say otherwise, and blame Trang's grudge against me from the war."

"What a grudge it was; he never forgave you for drinking him under the table and stealing those twins, that night."

Alec and I laughed it up, reliving good memories for a few minutes more.

Finally, I sighed.

"Well, I hate to cut down our good mood, but we have a little rat next door, and I need to speak with her. Come in," I called.

The figure of Lois Lane strode in, full of grim resolve, brandishing a tape recorder.

"You," she hissed, "are a foul, treasonous slime, Wade Eiling, and I cannot believe my father ever said anything good about you."

"I don't believe he ever said anything good about me, either; that man never has anything good to say about anyone other than Lois and Lucy," I retort. "Let's drop the acting please, Miss Martian." I pulled a specialized weapon from my desk as she stepped back.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said a little too quickly.

Alec kept his eyes firmly focused directly on her, but her eyes strayed to my lighter when I flicked it on, and off again, and on.

"You are the Martian Manhunter's niece, for whom he filed paperwork about a specialized student visa earlier this year. You masqueraded as Lois Lane on Saturday at the airport hangar – a fairly obvious deception with how you just stood back once the action started and all the stories were bubbling to the fore – and you infiltrated here more than two hours ago, unaware that I captured your presence on my security systems and easily verified that the real Miss Lane was, at that time, burning the midnight oil at the Daily Planet." Her eyes went wide.

"Amateurs," Alec sighed. "If I were ever so sloppy, I would never have lived to this age. I await your plan, Wade." She folded her arms.

"I wholly, and uncategorically deny all of your accusations. I am the real Lois Lane; you are on the record as meeting with an at-large criminal, being party to numerous more crimes untold, and lying to your wife and step-children for decades," she insisted firmly. 'As if.'

"It really is a pity that Angela was equally incorruptible," I sighed morosely. "Well, it was a part of what drew me to her in the first place. Perhaps if I had married her when they were younger, I might have felt willing to pass this on down to a kid as the family business."

"It makes me wonder how a total sociopath was able to pass himself off as a devoted father for so long," she spat.

"Hardly," I replied. "Well, I suppose a part of it was that they were both in double digits when I began seeing Angela and learned whose widow she was. As well, any good soldier has to learn to compartmentalize; if someone approaches from behind while you're holding a knife, a man has to tell whether he's in the kitchen or in the trenches, else he invites in tragedy."

"You mangled that quote, Wade." I glanced a moment at Alec. "What, you never read that book? It's good material for beginning and intermediate espionage. I'd recommend it to you, if you were going to live to see dawn," he added to the Lois Lane lookalike.

"Well, that's not quite so settled, Alec," I answered, falling into a familiar patter as the Martian did her best to hold a poker face. "Fortunately, I'm loathe to axe an associate of the Justice League in my office without a convenient excuse or patsy, but I may not have to. Our green friend should by now have noticed that her telepathy and telekinesis are not functioning. Those area-effect inhibitors are my second most recent purchase, made earlier this month, with my most recent arriving last week."

"Now that looks like a fun toy to play with," Alec mocked as I removed from my drawer the large glass jar and attached machinery. "Hey, Wade, didn't Doctor Frankenstein get in trouble for working with a brain in a jar?"

"Funny you should use those words," I mentioned absently, fixing the jar of liquid and bio-matter in place. "No," I added.

The fidgeting Martian froze as I pressed a button to trigger the system commands I'd input while rambling to the Martian. Four turrets popped into view, two of which were visibly flamethrowers with pilot lights, and an audible whine filled the air.

Alec had caught my gesture and stepped back in range of the desk before the faint force field rose between her and us. He kept his eyes on the frozen Martian, save for curiously flickering them around back and forth between the laser turrets and flamethrowers.

'I've actually seen it in live use before, and even I am still impressed watching it. I don't blame him, but he'll owe me a few drinks when I hold over his head my ability to successfully distract him for the third time in as many decades.' I smiled at that thought.

"What are you planning?" she asked quickly.

"In addition to blocking mental abilities, certain sources are now churning out machines to replicate them. This one is a memory modifier. It will let me peel through your Martian mind, to examine, record, and edit your memories of the recent past. I'll find out what tidbits tipped you off to be suspicious of me, who else you told, and send you back having only discovered 'evidence' supporting my innocence."

"I can answer a part of that, Wade," Alec put in with a frown. "You let that damn trick they nailed the ape with get you rattled; girl tosses you a glittery rope that she'd told you was the Lasso of Truth, and you hand it off faster than she can finish asking an idle question."

"…Dammit," I admitted, rubbing the bridge of my nose. "Still, better safe than sorry." I flicked a switched on to activate the editor.

"You're not the first person to try to wipe my mind," the Martian claimed, still posing as Lois Lane. "It's a cost of hanging around with the Man of Steel. So before we go into the whole drooling vegetable phase, will you indulge me in one or two… no, three questions?"

"Two," I suggested, killing time as I input the occasional variable, waited for the editor to fully charge for activation, and skimmed my security systems to ensure we remained uninterrupted and unobserved.

"The x-ionization process."

"Stole part of the system used from storage, after the grand old US of A stole it from another country and didn't get the whole thing. Stole most of the rest of it from a lab in Rugermia, bought some more and some spare parts from Bialya, and after we've got it to reliably work we're running low on one of the fuel types used, so our best bet is to sell the whole process to a government and tell them they're on their own for any fuel after the complimentary starter bit. People in North Rhelasia, Vlatava, and Markovia all have purchased equipment, and are in bidding for the whole process," I listed off blithely. "I'm holding off final bids until the New Year, to see if Vertigo gets the throne."

"Did you-? No, it's fairly easy to check whether you helped him walk," Lois-the-Martian muttered. "Fine. How many other lives have you ruined the way you did Nathaniel Adams?"

"I'd hardly say his life is ruined, looking at where the great Captain Atom is right now," I complained. "Power, super-powers, respect, fame, and he's even making peace with the family he was out of touch with, all because of me." She glared foully. "Oh, fine." I listed off the five names that came quickly to mind, after which the device was ready enough I had no more need to string her along, and said so.

"You've given me enough to see your execution, when this report is made public," she threatened.

"Martian," I drawled, and I drew a yelp when the flamethrowers threw out a warning puff of fire, "I've shut down your telepathy and telekinesis, isolating you from any possible reinforcements. I've applied a hologram to the windows, and I have total control of the security recording functions.

"I've pinned you between force fields and flamethrowers," I continued, "and yes I've made preparations against density shifting through the floors and wall. Not only have I worked in three different devices to interfere with or erase recording devices, but the broadcasting equipment disguised as your tape recorder has long been identified, intercepted, and interrupted." Her face fell. "I win."

"Dammit! I was so proud of myself for thinking of that trick, and now you cost me twenty dollars by finding it," she complained.

I waited for her next attempt at making the other shoe drop. She just smirked smugly.

"Wade, do you believe she does have something up her sleeve? Aliens can be… tricky," Alec warned.

"My systems are absolute in working order, and cannot be hacked," I replied. "She's powerless and helpless in here."

"Oh really?" Lois-the-Martian challenged, managing to make Lois Lane's face look slightly intimidating.

It took a moment for me to realize what I was seeing: despite the blockers on and the force field between us, my memory editor was floating under telekinetic control.

"Impossible," I breathed, beginning to feel the floor fall from under my feet as I reached for my controls. Then the floor really did fall from under my feet, as a telekinetic grip tore my weapon from my hand and lifted me into the air, away from my machines.

I could still see the screens, reading that everything was as it had been, even while the force field flickered out, and the turrets withdrew. All the time, that damn Martian had the gall to be smirking at me!

"You hacked my systems," I breathed. The Martian shook her head smugly. "You must have. I thought that was impossible, you-,"

"Would need the highest levels of security clearance access codes," droned a man who my sensors said did not exist, as he entered my room from the front hall. It all began to make horrible sense to me, even as it made no sense at all. "Codes which I have. Secure him."

Two grim members of the military police entered, obedient to Sam Lane's orders, and approached. Shocked, I looked to Alec.

"I told you, Wade," he intoned, "your handling of the Lasso was very suspicious." To my growing horror, his features morphed and shifted, until the Martian girl stood in his place. "Not that it would have mattered. Ferris and Zee found your bugs, so they staged Shirley Mason's death for their radio show viewers. Her testimony alone would be enough, but we wanted to be… thorough when we took you down. I was the one at the Daily Planet, by the way. Better safe than sorry, when establishing a cover."

Other members of the team from the warehouse entered, faces grim with satisfaction, save for the damn woman who had fought Rako into a fury. That bitch looked utterly gleeful, entering from the side office like a child at a candy sale. I might've heard her humming.

"More like we wanted to tear you apart, and unlike you did with Captain Adams, leave no doubt to your guilt," the blonde biracial girl continued. She glanced guiltily at the side door, from where Superman's other girl and (the real) Lois Lane had entered, as it opened.

A part of me, compartmentalized away from the strain of cold logic and reason that held the reigns right then, ached at how destroyed Angela's children looked. Even that damn Adams had forgone the silver skin of his powers, and actually looked our age, as though he'd wilted under what they must have overheard.

I didn't fight it as my hands were cuffed behind my back – there was no point, not at the moment.

"Men and women with high security clearances are trained against telepathic intrusion, but skimming surface thoughts and reading dreams are among the most basic skills. When we put Alec Rois to sleep, one member of our Team guided him to dream of his own escape, and Miss Martian read those dreams, learning the expected patterns of interaction between you two," the Atlantean told me. "Combined with our approach to General Lane through his daughter, and use of the respect Ferris amassed with her handling of Ultra-Humanite, we had enough to set the stage and allow you to convict yourself by your own behavior."

"Forgive me for laughing, it should be rude," that Ferris chirped, as she damn near danced through the group to-

'Did she just hug me?' My mind went momentarily blank, while she moved on around to the men who held me.

"Ew, Ferris," complained the redhead, Kid Flash, "and even a kiss on the cheek? You'll get criminal cooties from him."

"Hush, it is not like he could make me any worse," she dismissed, still joyous to the point of glowing. "Aqualad brought in the General Lane Sir, but Alec Rois is mine idea. Mm, I am so sick and tired of our criminals escaping, and why not take advantage of it, yes?"

"I," Peggy gasped out, "have nothing to say to you." She slumped, broken, against her brother's chest. He didn't look much better.

Far angrier, but not at all better.

"I know this is not happy," the cheerful bitch admitted, "but it always feels so good to Ruin an evil plan."

Humming, she draped her arms over Kid Flash, and as Sam Lane led the MPs in removing me from the room, I heard voices start up again.

I didn't bother to listen. There was nothing more to say.

I pity whatever poor bastard ends up being Ferris' main reoccurring villain/nemesis. They will not have a good time of it.

>implying that Ferris will leave them alive long enough to be a recurring nemesis

:V
I was assuming they'd either be a Stilt-man type villain, one that's not actually dangerous enough to bother killing. That or someone who's nearly or completely immortal. Because yeah, I can't really see Ferris letting someone keep escaping and making a nuisance of themselves the way comics tend to have them do.

I was assuming they'd either be a Stilt-man type villain, one that's not actually dangerous enough to bother killing. That or someone who's nearly or completely immortal. Because yeah, I can't really see Ferris letting someone keep escaping and making a nuisance of themselves the way comics tend to have them do.

Probably the latter, since any of the useless villains would steer clear of Ferris after escaping from jail if they have two brain cells to rub together.

Hey, so I write LOD out ahead of time and I'm curently scribbling out some between-season interludes / Season 2 introduction scenes. Anyone have any suggestions or requests?

Currently settled scenes are:

Donna Troy knocks on Dick Grayson's window.
Green Arrow watches Artemis interrogate [censored] about WTF just happened.
Kaldur reprimands Kid Flash for punching out a reporter.
[censored] phones home to check in on the family.
Karen Beecher confronts M'gann about WTF is going on.
Wonder Woman is unsettled and speaks with her mother.

I'm not sure if I want 16 total, but I want at least 9, so suggestions for PoV person, other characters, and subject matter are all appreciated.

uummm @Obloquy from what I remember Eiling was the ringleader in canon YJ.
Please tell me he won't get away with it!!
Sorry, he gets away clean and goes to Jamaica, laughing all the way. :p

Probably the latter, since any of the useless villains would steer clear of Ferris after escaping from jail if they have two brain cells to rub together.
Or it's someone who is fast enough to surrender that she can't justify killing them unless they break it (because then no one would bother surrendering again, and it's generally a better end than just fighting to the death in most cases).

Or someone with a lot of disposable mooks to send at her instead, if not a secret society of someones.

Or someone who she probably should kill but she's promised to bring in alive for some reason, despite her personal desires to do otherwise.

Or someone who just personally hates her and screws her over in the shadows but skirts around being proven to do anything illegal...

Or some inhuman incarnate being with a lot of power and a hobby of throwing things at her for fun.

Or a heart-felt hero of the thou-shalt-not-kill school playing Summer Knight to her Winter.

Heck, depending on how her relationships go, she may not have a recurring villain so much as a recurring Hero Antagonist. I mean, successful as she was, Nate Adams is not happy that she was happy, you know?

Last edited:
I pity whatever poor bastard ends up being Ferris' main reoccurring villain/nemesis. They will not have a good time of it.

I vote Atlas.

Superman villain, her mentor, check.

Superman level strength and durability, which would explain why Renka doesn't kill him.

A fallen hero in contrast to Renka's unfortunate history.

A fellow stranger in a strange land, since Atlas is from DC's equivalent of the Conan era.

Gained his power from a magic crystal, a parallel to Renka getting her power from metal.

Old Wounds - part 7
Life Ore Death
* October 25 [Robin PoV]

I'd had four years to get used to it, but even so, going back to class in Gotham Academy after our wild weekend felt weird. I mostly hung with Babs, did as much normal stuff as we could, and brought her over after so we could compete in making our own computer puzzles.

She kicked my ass, as had become normal, but normal was good.

Tomorrow was going to be less normal, because the news of General Eiling's arrest and Lois Lane's article were going to break.

I wasn't looking forward to it, but that was true of a lot of stuff.

I really wasn't looking forward to the coming week, because we had Halloween at the end of it, meaning Batman and I would be running our feet off to prevent all the crazies' celebrations of the season of fear. It was almost worth the thought of letting Scarecrow out, because he had a habit of thinking genuine Halloween frights were too banal for his tastes. The years he'd been out - at least since I joined Batman - he usually stomped on anyone else with the bad taste to try a scare theme this time of year, and just threw a Rogue's only Halloween party.

Sadly, he was in Arkham, Killer Croc might be gearing up for the night he can go around in plain sight, Catwoman was likely to be eyeing something to do with black cats, or she might compete with Penguin for a gold mummy mask at the museum, and Two Face was probably thinking of what to answer a 'Trick or Treat' question with for each side of his coin. We were going to be busy.

Before all that, there was something else needed to get out of the way. I didn't think it would be scary, per se, but it would probably be awkward, since I'd be accusing a teammate of… well, I wanted to put it off a bit longer. Keep the aster until I couldn't stay whelmed.

Babs stayed for dinner, we discussed Halloween costume ideas, and Alfred drove her home. I couldn't put it off after that.

<Recognized, Robin: B 01. >

I didn't want to hack mountain security, I felt bad enough what I already did, but I found M'gann and Conner in the kitchen.

"Miss Em," I called, "wasn't the whole point of winning your bet that Captain Atom was Captain Adams-," 'Wait, I just said their names and they sound- seriously, how did I ever miss that?' "-so you didn't have to do the dishes for, what, a week per loser?"

"Ten meals, and Kaldur did the dinner dishes. This is me trying a few cake recipes," she chirped. "Besides, just because I don't have to doesn't mean I don't want to. Couples should do things together, shouldn't they?" Conner looked a bit less tough at that, folding his arms.

"Just remember we eat here," I teased. Alfred had thrown a fit one time 'Brucie' had- "Where's Ferris?" 'Whoops.' "I mean Renka."

That didn't get them to ease up on the odd looks. I sort of deserved those, what with all my secr- 'Not helping, stop moping.'

"She's reading by the trophy case again," Conner told me after he listened for a second. "Those books about the wizard school."

"Got it, thanks. You're getting better at hearing like that," I complimented as I left.

Making my way through the halls, I tried to get ready for what we were going to talk about.

I paused outside the door and waited for a break, listening to her read. In the story, Dumbledore reassured Filch that Mrs. Norris was going to be okay, and then she sighed and let the narration drop.

"Excuse me," she said. 'Was that to me?' "Come in, Robin." 'That definitely was.' I entered.

Ferris- 'No, stop, it's Renka now, dissociating to hero names like that is not helping. Why do I keep slipping with her?' –was seated in a comfy chair, diagonally facing the shelf of trophies Wally had collected. She put the closed book on a side table, where she'd piled a few rings.

"Should you really be using up your tin-minds like that?" I asked to break the ice, confident normal hearing couldn't have got me.

"M'gann sent me you are arriving," she corrected placidly, and I tried to hide my embarrassment. "Seat?"

"Thanks." I sat down in another chair. "So, about this last mission…."

"My childish glee at the distress of the Adams family at the discovery of the many lies left you without turb-ed-ness, and you now distrust me more and wish to discuss this out to become again traught with me," she summarized.

"Uh…" That was pretty much it. "…Yeah. That obvious?"

"Kaldur had this discussion with me this morning, as we were alone in the Mountain while you, plural you, you all, were going to school," she informed me. "Wally came to the Mountain after the end of his school and we had this talk during work out exercise. M'gann is faster than you three; she did this talk yesterday, during preparing for to sting Wade Eiling, because she could feel my emotions the night before yesterday and during that first preparing to sting. I am not angry or upset," she added, smirking as I shrunk down, "I am pleased."

"Pleased, because you're enjoying me feeling bad like you did them," I rallied, shooting back up as I buried my own embarrassment.

"In part," she agreed blithely, which I'd been expecting. "As well, because it means you trust me enough, and our friendship is strong so that you will have this talk with me, and bleed out the poison, not let it fester. I am grateful."

"But you won't say you were wrong, or offer to stop."

She tilted her head artfully. "Wrong about what? Stop what? M'gann, Wally, and Kaldur all have different details about me disturbed them. You must be more specific about why you are not whelmed."

'I can do that.' It was a chance to give voice to everything that had been churning around all this while, and I more than needed that.

"You suggested the Eilings and Adams be at the warehouse even though you suspected Wade was a part of the ring, expecting how guilty and grief-stricken Peggy and Randal would be when they heard, and especially if Yarrow implied Eiling was a part of the ring while they were all right there to hear." I narrowed my eyes behind my mask. "And when that didn't happen, you let them have their time of bonding and being a family and reconciling, just to make it hurt more when we ripped the scars open the next night and they were there."

"I enjoyed it. Not just the pain, and the destruction of years of lies, and the chance to Ru-," she bit off her sentence. I waited in silence. Tentatively, she started over. "I enjoy destroying things, breaking bodies, bruising minds. Because I know of good and evil, right and wrong, I should try only to destroy things that are also destructive and hateful; if one day I am destroyed in the same way, I accept this."

"Live by the sword, die by the sword," I recognized. "But two wrongs don't make a right, Ferris. If you're destroyed, that won't fix any of the things you already destroyed before then, and hurting people who hurt people doesn't make their victims any better. Whenever you kill a killer, the number of killers in the world stays the same, but the number of good people goes down by one."

"And but if everyone only killed people who had already killed people, how long would it be before there were no more killers?" she mused. I opened my mouth to refute that, but she beat me to it. "I know where is the flaw, and I agree with the thing you are thinking, if not the words, because if you kill five killers the number of good people subtracts one and the number of killers subtracts five. But we cannot only measure it whole numbers, because there is no person who is all good or all bad, and you kill the good with the bad." Her head tilted.

"So then?" I prompted, because it looked like she had more to say.

"I will ignore the question of whether the Captain Atom, the Wonder Woman, and every soldier killing in war or police fighting criminals is not a good person because they kill, because war and government," she told me. "We will focus on what I did, yesterday and two days ago, and how much I enjoyed it. Robin-," I grimaced at the assumed name. "-you say I was wrong to do it, but please, if I had not?"

I snorted. 'Like that isn't a really open-ended question. Except if I ask her for an 'instead,' she'll say I should give it to her. Alright.'

"What if you didn't invite Eiling and the kids along, or even just left out Peggy and Randal, so that Eiling would still be at the warehouse and easy to capture if Yarrow spilled about him?" I challenged.

"What were our goals?" she asked. "To prove the guilt or innocence, yes, and catch another criminal, but when we did not know the Captain Atom was Mister Adams, it was for the sake of closure to his family as well as justice. Do not tell me, but I remember you were quiet when we were talking about 'tragic origin stories'. If you have one, or had one, is it better for the solution to include you or not, for closure?"

I had no way to argue against that – even if I was willing to tell her my name and all that happened with Zucco – because that was exactly what Batman had done with me. He'd done the research, and then he'd let me go with him to beat up Zucco and see him brought to justice for what the guy did to us. 'But if I… it would be like finding out Bruce actually arranged their deaths and framed Zucco, and I bought it.'

I shivered at what it must have been like for them. The memory of Ferris so obviously enjoying it only became more nauseating.

"I... think I'm not in a good place to argue this with you," I admitted. "It's too soon. Too close."

"I am happy to talk to you almost at any time, Robin," she reassured me. "Thank you for not trusting me." I glanced at her.

"That's- are sure sure those are the right words?" She rolled her eyes at me in reply.

"Robin, I still keep a hole in my head for M'gann or the Martian Manhunter can use to control, cripple, or kill me at any time, because I do not trust me and I want it to be ended if I ever go too far. I know a lesser evil is still an evil, but there is no total evil or total good. I wanted a painful and horrible way for revealing the true secret, but I did not do it only because I would enjoy it."

"Yeah?"

"Peggy and Randal and Missus Angela hurt long and slow for years because they were not sure about if Mister Adams was guilty or not guilty. The Captain Adams also suffered for years because he knew he was not guilty but could not know or prove who had framed him. The wounds scabbed and scarred over with arrowheads still inside, infecting with sickness and rot."

"What, was more pain supposed to make it better? You don't forget your leg hurt just because your arm hurts too," I muttered.

"To cut it open again is agony to them," she replied, "but now it is clean and they can really heal. I chose to press those years more of pain with the lie of Wade Eiling into one night to be sure, the same as I accumulate investiture from hours into seconds. And like Feruchemy, it is still a huge amount, but less than the total."

"…You still didn't have to play up how happy you were," I grumbled bitterly. She hummed at me, shaking her head.

"I was not playing, I was honest, and I was overwhelmed. When Wally is told, 'be on your best behavior,' is he lying to behave well? Is he behave well or is he acting well? I was totally very joyous at this, and I had my control slipped away."

"Well what about it made you so happy?"

She shrugged. "For reasons, I like to kill, and break, and destroy."

"You stared into the void, and it stared back. It has something to do with your god Ruin, doesn't it?" She… nodded, slowly.

"Yes. Queen Mera knows the details… I touched the power of Ruin for a time, and I was touched by Ruin for a time."

"It left you messed up in the head." Ferris didn't take offense, she just shrugged. "Does this have to do with Ruin's investiture?"

Whenever you kill a killer, the number of killers in the world stays the same, but the number of good people goes down by one.
That phrase always seemed to miss the point, to me - the number of killers is only relevant by how it relates to the number of people killed. If killing a killer leads to less dead people, that's a win. (It also assumes killing someone is always wrong, but that's a much larger argument.)

I liked the awkwardness of this. Thanks for not trusting Renka, Robin! It's kinda depressing how self aware and accepting of the end Renka is but she really is an interesting person.

That phrase always seemed to miss the point, to me - the number of killers is only relevant by how it relates to the number of people killed. If killing a killer leads to less dead people, that's a win. (It also assumes killing someone is always wrong, but that's a much larger argument.)
I've always thought it was weird, because if a Serial Killer kills killers, then the number of killers goes down, seeing as it's not a new "unspoiled" person that kills them. I'm aware that it's not the intended meaning, but it's the thing that always pops up in my head.

Hey, so I write LOD out ahead of time and I'm curently scribbling out some between-season interludes / Season 2 introduction scenes. Anyone have any suggestions or requests?

Currently settled scenes are:

Donna Troy knocks on Dick Grayson's window.
Green Arrow watches Artemis interrogate [censored] about WTF just happened.
Kaldur reprimands Kid Flash for punching out a reporter.
[censored] phones home to check in on the family.
Karen Beecher confronts M'gann about WTF is going on.
Wonder Woman is unsettled and speaks with her mother.

I'm not sure if I want 16 total, but I want at least 9, so suggestions for PoV person, other characters, and subject matter are all appreciated.

Checking in on Cassandra probably wouldn't be amiss. A POV from her or one of the Great Ten, maybe a recruitment attempt; perhaps focused on her actually starting to become linguistic.

It was funny for me because it involved Robin.

DC wrote that there was a "perfect world."

Does anyone remember the difference between that world and New Earth?

Batman killed the Joker for killing Jason and then for dessert, killed all the other supervillains.

Which to me is childishly simplistic, but that's another discussion.

I'm not sure if you'd want to give it away or if there would be enough there for an interlude, but Klarion getting more and more irritated at getting his letters from Ferris written in a language he's never seen could be fun.
Queen Mera trying to come to terms with what Ferris has told her about herself, either by having her think about it as she goes through a normal day or by her talking to people she's close to to work her way through whatever hangups she has.
Red Volcano's ongoing work on a space program.
Fate's POV from Wally wearing the helmet onward, assuming enough things have happened to fill out a full interlude.

I liked the awkwardness of this. Thanks for not trusting Renka, Robin! It's kinda depressing how self aware and accepting of the end Renka is but she really is an interesting person.
But coming to her like this implies a certain level of trust? If he didn't trust her at all, he'd either say nothing or try to go over her head to the JL and talk to them about it instead. And she even agrees that he's right to question her actions, because she knows she doesn't always do good things. Better to talk about the situation than to try and ignore it until it becomes a bigger problem.

But coming to her like this implies a certain level of trust? If he didn't trust her at all, he'd either say nothing or try to go over her head to the JL and talk to them about it instead. And she even agrees that he's right to question her actions, because she knows she doesn't always do good things. Better to talk about the situation than to try and ignore it until it becomes a bigger problem.
I agree, my "thanks for not trusting Renka" was just referencing this:
"I am happy to talk to you almost at any time, Robin," she reassured me. "Thank you for not trusting me." I glanced at her.

But I can't help but feel a tad bitter with regards to how cavalier Renka is concerning the possibility of her death. I get it, but it's still kinda uncomfortable.

Back